• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It's not that bad. I've seen people do pretty well with it.

That's what he means... he's saying the weapon is a crutch for otherwise crummy players.

Of course I think that describes 90% of the shit in this game.

JJD

Well I'm not a shotgun guy, but I just started using the USAS, and it's a fun gun. I still miss the range, but I did good on the games I played.

Which is the best ammo for shotguns guys?

Evolved1

Well I'm not a shotgun guy, but I just started using the USAS, and it's a fun gun. I still miss the range, but I did good on the games I played.

Which is the best ammo for shotguns guys?

Reg buck.

But in the USAS... frag ammo is like troll power. Feels like you're getting shot at by an LAV and basically takes all control away from you as the screen shakes and your headphones drowned in the sound of a terrible death.

edit: also... don't even try slugs. they should really be called BB's.

Bruiserk

Reg buck.

But in the USAS... frag ammo is like troll power. Feels like you're getting shot at by an LAV and basically takes all control away from you as the screen shakes and your headphones drowned in the sound of a terrible death.

edit: also... don't even try slugs. they should really be called BB's.

I enjoy flechette ammo, actually.

Soma

Follow my lead... become buddies w/ Olimpia. Another competent never-give-up player in every game has its benefits.

haha

yeah i need to get into some games with you guys. I only have Dreamgazer on my PSN friends list and one dude... i'm not really sure who on my Battlelog friends list. I'll probably just randomly add some of you guys later tonight. :)

I don't have a mic but I do use Skype which is what me and one of my friends use for BF3.

Does anyone else think that this game is a bit "dark"? As in, there seems to be constant overcast or fog hanging around. Seine Crossing illustrates what I mean quite well. Is it just the intended style? I've increased the brightness an extra 2 or 3 points beyond what it thinks is the desired brightness, i.e. beyond me being able to "barely see" the logo.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My framerate issues from earlier are gone. That was weird while it lasted. Anyway I tried playing Support and Recon tonight since I've barely touched them. God I hate their default weapons. Using the UMP until I can get something decent for them.

Bruiserk

haha

yeah i need to get into some games with you guys. I only have Dreamgazer on my PSN friends list and one dude... i'm not really sure who on my Battlelog friends list. I'll probably just randomly add some of you guys later tonight. :)

I don't have a mic but I do use Skype which is what me and one of my friends use for BF3.

Skype is exactly what Mikey, MiniBoss and I do. If you'd like to join us sometime, feel free.

my PSN is the same as my GAF ID: Bruiserk

We will add Skype later

Evolved1

haha

I don't even know what Skype is... but hey as long as you speak the universal language of common sense then things don't necessarily need to be said.

Olimpia and I both have mics but I can't hear him 90% of the time. It's just: capture flag, never give up, punish enemy, and win... always.

Besides I'm super annoying on the mic channel anyway.

olimpia84

I don't even know what Skype is... but hey as long as you speak the universal language of common sense then things don't necessarily need to be said.

Olimpia and I both have mics but I can't hear him 90% of the time. It's just: capture flag, never give up, punish enemy, and win... always.

Besides I'm super annoying on the mic channel anyway.

Supposedly they fixed the voip issues so we'll see. I did play a few games today with randoms but couldn't test it out. And speaking of randoms, my W/L ratio took a huge nosedive today.... getting those Squad Rush/Deathmatchs medals is going to be a huge PITA. People are so fucking stupid when they play this game is not even funny.

Evolved1

Played some rush tonight with a few gaffers and got a good string of wins. A couple close games, too.

Still, in BF3, rush is not very fun.

The one thing about conquest than cannot be overstated is that you don't get lazy attacking teams. You have to attack flags or you're getting pinned in your base for a bloodbath.

So the pace of the game is always fast. There's still slow, cautious play at times, but overall things don't stagnate like they do in rush.

And omg... Bazaar in Rush is so bad I'm embarrassed for DICE. Metro and Bazaar are like textbook examples of awful map design. They learned nothing from Vantage Point. Whoever is responsible for these maps should really reevaluate their career choices, cause they are bad at their job.

JJD

Played some rush tonight with a few gaffers and got a good string of wins. A couple close games, too.

The one thing about conquest than cannot be overstated is that you don't get lazy attacking teams. You have to attack flags or you're getting pinned in your base for a bloodbath.

So the pace of the game is always fast. There's still slow, cautious play at times, but overall things don't stagnate like they do in rush.

And omg... Bazaar in Rush is so bad I'm embarrassed for DICE. Metro and Bazaar are like textbook examples of awful map design. They learned nothing from Vantage Point. Whoever is responsible for these maps should really reevaluate their career choices, cause they are bad at their job.

Man, rush is such a clusterfuck...that bazaar game, either on defense or offense was awful...

And we won both games, I just can't take the non stop rocket spam, the huge choke points, the camping (I know it's a valid tactic), and all the other annoying stuff...

Most BF3 maps are not good rush maps.

I miss rush maps like arica, laguna presa, port valdez, atacama, even isla or cold war...
I think the urban setting was not a good choice for rush, and I really hope Back to Karkand is better, or I can't see me playing a lot of rush outside a few games with gaffers as it is right now.

Still, I had a really nice game attacking on Kharg with an ace chopper pilot! Gunning for a competent pilot is too much fun!

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but EA costumer support is claiming that PS3 voice chat issues are a PS3 problem, and not a game problem. They even suggest that those experiencing such problems may be eligible for a refund from the retailer that sold the game.

Edit: WTF Dice? The last 3 games that I lost are games that were reset because there were not enough players. Battlelog counted then as a lost to me, fuck that!

rdrr gnr

If I extrapolate the previous logic in this thread, not liking Rush means that you are a bad player concerned too much with your stats.

amidoingthisrite?

Apparently it is useless on certain maps and normal on others. IDK why DICE can't let us have nice things. I worked hard to get the IRNV, why not let it be a bit OP. You have to work for it.

yeah but it's not even the final unlock and as it was it made all other sights and scopes useless :D

Any tips on how to acquire the maintenance efficiency, and M-COM defender ribbons? Of all the ribbons I still need to get, these two seem like the most annoying/time consuming.

endlessflood's tips

my tips

Does anyone else think that this game is a bit "dark"? As in, there seems to be constant overcast or fog hanging around. Seine Crossing illustrates what I mean quite well. Is it just the intended style? I've increased the brightness an extra 2 or 3 points beyond what it thinks is the desired brightness, i.e. beyond me being able to "barely see" the logo.

i've noticed that without the exact same settings, the 360 version is a bit darker than the PS3.

senador

Banned
Grr. For the 3rd time in a row when I enter the menu and it loads my profile it comes back with this after checking it:

"Existing player profile data appears to be damaged and cannot be used. "

Then it has me set the brightness levels, tells me online pass has been unlocked, and that the M1911 has been unlocked. I lose all my settings. I then have to go reconfigure everything and setup my loadouts again for each class and vehicle. What the fuck?

This is on 360. Anyone experiencing this?

no way, Grand Bazaar has like 4 ways out of the home bases and several ways to go wide around the middle capture point.

Operation Metro. no DICE.

rdrr gnr

Smoke is probably the only piece of equipment that makes Rush even remotely enjoyable. Abuse it.

I still don't think I've played every available Rush map, but my jaw was seriously on the floor when I saw the objective placement for Seine Crossing, having played it for the first time a few nights ago. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

DICE's map design philosophy makes me feel uneasy about their future titles and I doubt B2K will play any better given that there would be no way for them to implement altered maps or objective placement in the short period of time between retail and now. I'm assuming Conquest will be the go to gametype for B2K, unless by some miraculous accident, Rush maps don't turn out to be an absolute monstrosity.

It really does make me miss the uber-flanks of maps like Laguna Presa. Seriously, though. DAT FLANK.

I read a YT comment (or something) that said "Operation Metro can be fun for all the wrong reasons." I feel like applies to every aspect of BF3. As is the nature of multiplayer gaming, everything is contingent upon its circumstances (randoms, lag, whether you are in a party, map selection) but a good MP game allows for some level of expected consistency when playing -- BF3 doesn't do that.

no way, Grand Bazaar has like 4 ways out of the home bases and several ways to go wide around the middle capture point.

Operation Metro. no DICE.

I agree, Metro is just a deathmatch map on Conquest, no buts about it.

But Bazaar is like a far superior deathmatch map, it still is very small but it has a lot of space to do flanking and everything. Besides, so much fun driving the LAV to the middle capture point hallway :D

rdrr gnr

I have "strategy" for the M-Com Defender ribbon, but it isn't as nuanced as the others presented.

Tehran Highway rush: its dark; there are corners. Just try to find an angle at which you know you'd be able to shoot at a planting attacker. I was successfully able to get 2-3 defends per round without too much frustration, meaning it just becomes a matter of time.

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's the second-to-last base and the A objective. If you RPG the ledges and walls around that objective hide by a fence just tangent to the M-Com (the attackers will most likely ignore checking behind the fence if they don't bother checking their surroundings before attempting a plant) you should have a clear shot at an unsuspecting attacker.

General Tips/Unscrupulous Tactics for the Ribbon:
  • Have a friend help you.
  • Extend a game by intentionally sabotaging your team if you must (get in a tank and just sit in spawn if the ticket count gets low and so forth). Obviously, this is only appropriate when you are one or two defends away from the ribbon.
  • Don't equip laser sights or flashlights when camping an objective.
  • You can blow up friendly claymores/C4 so it allows an incoming attacker to attempt a plant without dying.
  • Leave a squad or place a spawn beacon (if you are running recon) a reasonable distance from the objective, so a squad-spawning friendly doesn't inadvertently kill an attacker you are waiting on to plant.
  • If possible, allow for a teammate to defuse an already planted objective in case the enemy team is nearby and quickly kills the defuser when attempting to replant.

Cudder

Do enemy mines appear on the minimap automatically or do teammates have to spot them or something? (ps3)

I'd like to know this as well.

VOIP is still as broken as ever.

Also, is the last unlock for every gun the 3.4x scope? I want to go in order and unlock every attachment for each gun, is it 350 kills with each gun to get everything?

Elixist

got this on black friday and just now popped it in, zomg DAT Sound so fucking good! really havin alot of fun so far after a couple matches.

Lol.

They nerfed recon even further by having radio beacons instantly destroyed when the player (who placed it) respawns.
Now I can't even just place a beacon down and change class.

Nerfing the recon...was that really necessary Dice?

Evolved1

Lol.

They nerfed recon even further by having it instantly destroyed when the player respawns.

Biggest problem with recon is that they have no answer for vehicles. C4 throwing has been removed, I don't understand why recon can't have C4. It's not OP. And having to hide or run away from vehicles doesn't feel natural to me. I want to bust them open.

Biggest problem with recon is that they have no answer for vehicles. C4 throwing has been removed, I don't understand why recon can't have C4. It's not OP. And having to hide or run away from vehicles doesn't feel natural to me. I want to bust them open.

Hiding or running away from vehicles has always been a part of life for the medic/assault players. Not sure what's the big deal about that. Granted, I wouldn't mind seeing C4 on recons...just so the class isn't so damn nerfed.

Evolved1

Well as a BC2 engineer... I guess it's just too ingrained. Seeing the other team having even one functioning vehicle offends my engineer sensibilities and I'm compelled to reduce the damn thing to burning scrap metal.

I play CQB recon as much as I play engineer, because I think it helps the team. But lately I feel like the class is rather useless when I can't take out a vehicle. I like the TUGS though...

JJD

Lol.

They nerfed recon even further by having radio beacons instantly destroyed when the player (who placed it) respawns.

Well, that's just plain stupid!

The radio beacon was a nice gadget, it will be almost worthless now. The average player life is shorter than a minute.

Marvie_3

Banned
Lol.

My spawn beacons seemed to blow up constantly for no reason. It was really annoying trying to get the spawn medal when your radio beacon doesn't last more than 6 seconds.

Lol.

the radio beacon staying alive was a bug.

they also fixed the bug where you set a beacon as a recon and it got destroyed when you switched kits.

Except it was a good bug that benefitted the squad. Recon beacons are now useless unless you purposely camp and stay alive forever now. Good job, DICE. :/

I'm just waiting for Dice to tell me that this is all a beta test for "Battlefield 3: The Real Edition".

Evolved1

I thought tank shells were supposed to OHK choppers now... what the hell man.

Also... I'm getting really tired of jets ramming into my chopper and I drop like a stone w/o any control and they fly away. Fucking bullshit.

Either we both crash or neither does... but this current trend is ridiculous. Jets are already waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over powered when a good pilot is in them.

Evolved1

Can someone give me a reason why I would ever use frag rounds in a shotgun?

Have you ever been shot at by an auto-shotty w/ frag rounds? It's like taking fire from a LAV. You're completely helpless and your screen turns to a blurry mess and you can't aim or return fire.

They are like troll weapon 101. And that's w/o the flashlight blinding you.

Can someone give me a reason why I would ever use frag rounds in a shotgun?

Cause the internet says its OP.
And since the internet is filled with noobs
That mean the noobs are feeling pwned by the setup.
Therefore you would want to use it to pwn noobs

Don't you trust the internet?.

Evolved1

Cause the internet says its OP.
Don't you trust the internet?

Every time I get shot at by it w/ frags I always try and spin around to locate where the vehicle is that I somehow missed. But it's not a vehicle... just some douche.

OK another thing.... they need to SERIOUSLY nerf the lock range on the stingers. A single infantryman should not be able to own the entire friggin sky. Make them OHK, that's fine. But neuter the range. These were supposed to stop circle strafing not grant complete air superiority.

I never have a co-pilot that's worth a shit or who carries flares. I'm lucky to have a gunner at all most of the time. I seriously hate even getting into aircraft anymore because every damn thing and their brother can lock you from a mile away. There's too much shit to keep track of. And you get zero indication of what's locking you or where they are. I have to fight the other choppers, dodge jet pilots, avoid 3rd seat tanks, 50 cal MG's, AA Tank, MAV, SOFLAM.... and now little bitches who camp in weird spots (ignoring objectives!) so they can peg you with a stinger.

If a chopper is hounding some objective, or your tank, or a group of infantry... the stinger should be the deterrent... but as it stands now, the range is ridiculous. The reload is incredibly short. And one hit disable the chopper so you can't gain alt and you lose most control.

It's really bad. Two games in a row DICE has fucked up choppers. And now we have these stupid jets that shouldn't even be in the console version.

Top Bottom