• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I swear Team DM is the worst thing ever. No matter how many times I play it I can't get a grasp on how you're supposed to approach it. The game spawns you right next to the enemy most of the time, you can't revive anybody because you only have about half a second to do it, etc.

The spawns is what makes it chaos. They're apparently fixing that in some patch soon. We'll see. But I enjoy it in a casual-turn-your-mind-off mode.

As far as reviving: You shouldn't be doing that on TDM. You should be focusing on fast killing with maybe a few heal/resupply helpings when the coast is clear to do that.

eek5

-----------
As someone who pretty much plays conquest/rush evenly.
I'll never understand what people's problem with rush is.
My main problems with rush is that if you're on a good team, the other team will just give up and it can turn a 10 minute ticket bleed into a 45 minute snipefest. Secondly, Rush just doesn't work when servers empty out which happens a LOT (especially if you're on a good team/squad). Bleeding off 75 tickets when there are 5 attackers is BORING. The fact that the server balances BEFORE people can quit doesn't help either.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The best TDM'ers I've ever seen were these guys who created moving "kill zones"... their entire team would bunch up into an ad hoc defensive position on a random section of the map and destroy the unorganized opposition team for a couple mins. As soon as the other team started to adjust to their defensive positions, they'd suddenly pick up and setup in a different spot.

Can't remember the name of these guys but I used to watch their vids on youtube... they played a few different games.

They massacred people.

Good luck getting that to work with randoms on BF3 though.

-Silver-

So PC gamers will be getting a new patch tomorrow, which means we should be getting it soon after that.http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/05/battlefield-3-patch-imminent-will-nerf-mortars-tactical-lights-and-intefering-trees/

EDIT: Hmm, stingers now do more damage to jets? By how much? It was only reduced by 5 recently.
Flares will also take longer to reload which suck if you're in a jet, kind of needed in choppers though...
Nothing about Jets ramming into choppers.
I'm not quite sure if Jets needed to do more damage to ground vehicles, definitely need to do more to infantry though.
They never fixed the mines, they broke them, do it like BC2 FFS, old mines should start vanishing once try to throw out over six mines.

2GB's though...

2nd EDIT: Found a better link: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2832654775976450221/, it's essentially the same thing aside from the bit at the bottom which basically says that they want to do an update which gets rid of the min player count but act as a warm up mode until the right number of players jump in. In short, aerial vehicle training sessions.

My main problems with rush is that if you're on a good team, the other team will just give up and it can turn a 10 minute ticket bleed into a 45 minute snipefest. Secondly, Rush just doesn't work when servers empty out which happens a LOT (especially if you're on a good team/squad). Bleeding off 75 tickets when there are 5 attackers is BORING. The fact that the server balances BEFORE people can quit doesn't help either.

Sniperfest was more of a problem in BC2.

As many. including non-rush players, have pointed out - it's much harder/pointless to long distance snipe in this game due to the tighter map areas & increased obstacles. Hence, I have yet to see sniperfest from occuring in rush yet (Ironically, I've seen it countless times on Canal Conqest...). At worse you simply have engineers who try to rocket stuff from behind rocks, or people who won't come out of their spawn till a vehicle comes out. Even then...that really isn't that bad with the use of mortars/air vehicles.

Conclusion: not a problem.

As for empty servers, at this point in the game's life I have yet to see much empty servers from occuring. Also, waiting for 100+ conquest tickets to bleed out when the enemies have quit is equally boring.

At least rush always have the fun attack side.

TheSeks

The best TDM'ers I've ever seen were these guys who created moving "kill zones"... their entire team would bunch up into an ad hoc defensive position on a random section of the map and destroy the unorganized opposition team for a couple mins. As soon as the other team started to adjust to their defensive positions, they'd suddenly pick up and setup in a different spot.

Can't remember the name of these guys but I used to watch their vids on youtube... they played a few different games.

They massacred people.

Good luck getting that to work with randoms on BF3 though.

You don't even need teamwork. Just go to a hotspot (like the containers or the barge containers on Norshal) and throw PDW/Shotguns in the area. Fast killing before someone can take you out.

eek5

Sniperfest was more of a problem in BC2.

As many. including non-rush players, have pointed out - it's much harder/pointless to long distance snipe in this game due to the tighter map areas & increased obstacles. Hence, I have yet to see sniperfest from occuring in rush yet (Ironically, I've seen it countless times on Canal Conqest...). At worse you simply have engineers who try to rocket stuff from behind rocks, or people who won't come out of their spawn till a vehicle comes out. Even then...that really isn't that bad with the use of mortars/air vehicles.

Conclusion: not a problem.

As for empty servers, at this point in the game's life I have yet to see much empty servers from occuring. Also, waiting for 100+ conquest tickets to bleed out when the enemies have quit is equally boring.

At least rush always have the fun attack side.

I don't mean it like that. The attackers get their shit pushed in on the first set of mcoms then decide it is better to waste everyone's time by sitting in their protected spawn, conserving tickets by just sniping. FUN!

RE: empty servers. They don't start out empty for me, they slowly empty out and never fill back up. Maybe if squad quickmatch wasn't so bad, rematchmaking would be an option but it is so cumbersome that it shouldn't even be necessary to do that.

At least in half empty servers you can increase bleed by capping all flags then base raping.

eek5

Auto-wins! FUN!

*roll eyes*

You really have no control over people quitting out. Are you suggesting you should just quit too if people leave? At least in CQ you can end the match fast and find a new server. People leaving in rush pretty much means you have to leave and find a new server.

Also, sure a CQ autowin is more fun than wrestling with the squad management. No rolleyes here

TheSeks

You really have no control over people quitting out. Are you suggesting you should just quit too if people leave? At least in CQ you can end the match fast and find a new server. People leaving in rush pretty much means you have to leave and find a new server.

Also, sure a CQ autowin is more fun than wrestling with the squad management. No rolleyes here

Auto-wins! FUN! *rolls eyes hard until they fall out of head*

Listen to what you're saying: "People quit, but at least I can auto-win in Conquest. Yay!"

The issue is the same: Both modes become boring when the other team stops playing. In Conquest it is extremely easy to make that happen. In Conquest on consoles (oh, hey, this is the console thread!) it's "cap all three flags quickly. Set up near the out-of-bounds of the enemy team. Mow them down, you win, yay!" And unless you purposely hold back to let people out, they're going to quit.

Same thing with Rush. But in Rush's case you can take an air-vehicle (on some maps) to the out of bounds and proceed to mow them down. Or lay back, get into cover. People don't move? Switch to sniper and out-sniper them. Or MAV roadkill them.

Both modes have the same shit, but Conquest players think their shit doesn't stink because "well, at least we have ticket bleed to where I can raise my W/L when I make the enemy quit!"

eek5

Auto-wins! FUN! *rolls eyes hard until they fall out of head*

Listen to what you're saying: "People quit, but at least I can auto-win in Conquest. Yay!"

The issue is the same: Both modes become boring when the other team stops playing. In Conquest it is extremely easy to make that happen. In Conquest on consoles (oh, hey, this is the console thread!) it's "cap all three flags quickly. Set up near the out-of-bounds of the enemy team. Mow them down, you win, yay!" And unless you purposely hold back to let people out, they're going to quit.

Same thing with Rush. But in Rush's case you can take an air-vehicle (on some maps) to the out of bounds and proceed to mow them down. Or lay back, get into cover. People don't move? Switch to sniper and out-sniper them. Or MAV roadkill them.

Both modes have the same shit, but Conquest players think their shit doesn't stink because "well, at least we have ticket bleed to where I can raise my W/L when I make the enemy quit!"

LOL. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I know they are both bad, but CQ is slightly less bad because you can get it over with faster. FWIW I mainly play rush and prefer that mode because the maps have been designed around it imo.

F7btY.png

I'm not trying to compare conquest vs. rush.

The intent of the conversation is to find out why people dislike rush :p.
(and just pointing out that empty server/sniperfest isn't much of a reason to "dislike" it at this current point.)

Evolved1

(and just pointing out that empty server/sniperfest isn't much of a reason to "dislike" it at this current point.)

Two worst things about rush:

1) There are too many poor maps (some of DICE's worst).

2) Lazy, scared, boring attacking team.

eek5

I just don't like how the attacking team can completely dictate the tempo of the game and on a lot of maps there isn't much you can do about it other than just play along. If they don't want to attack then you're forced into a stalemate which shouldn't be an option, at all.

I don't even get why there is spawn protection other than for vehicle theft reasons, but if defenders are pushing into attacker spawn it becomes way easier for attackers to destroy m-coms. Defenders infiltrating attacker spawns is never a problem after the first set so why does the first set need to be protected?

JJD

I fucking loved rush on BC2. The few rush games I played on BF3 (about 50 games) were awful. There's nothing wrong with the mode, the problem are the maps.

I actually enjoy infantry maps on conquest (Metro, Bazaar and Seine), but I despise then on rush. What a clusterfuck! It's just a meat grinder, if you push hard enough you'll flush defense from the mcom and now it's your turn to grind then. Most rush games I've played were on those maps unfortunately. Map rotation sucks.

As far as rush goes, BF3 maps are so inferior to BC2 that it's not even funny. I hope B2K and further DLCs fixes this, as I miss playing rush, we'll see.

For all Dice talk about how BF3 and Frostbyte was going to be awesome, I swear to God, if they just ported BC2 and BC1 maps to BF3 instead of creating new ones I would probably be a happier man.

Also, a couple days ago I played a defence Tehran rush game with Faceless and one or two other gaffers (including a gaffer on the opposing team) were the attackers couldn't get past the first base and the game lasted for almost 40 minutes. SMH.

As soon as the game ended, most of our team quit, and it was our turn to attack. The defenders now had a 2 man advantage over us. They all fucking quit as soon as we got the first mcom, the game had to reset because there was not enough players and we were awarded a loss on Battlelog for scaring everyone on the other team.

Evolved1

I fucking loved rush on BC2. The few rush games I played on BF3 (about 50 games) were awful. There's nothing wrong with the mode, the problem are the maps.

I actually enjoy infantry maps on conquest (Metro, Bazaar and Seine), but I despise then on rush. And most rush games I've played were on those maps unfortunately. Map rotation sucks.

As far as rush goes, BF3 maps are so inferior to BC2 that it's not even funny. I hope B2K and further DLCs fixes this, as I miss playing rush, we'll see.

For all Dice talk about how BF3 and Frostbyte was going to be awesome, I swear to God, if they just ported BC2 and BC1 maps to BF3 instead of creating new ones I would probably be a happier man.

BC1 maps are so godly I have trouble believing they were made by the same people who dev'd BF3.

BC1 map pack expansion could even bring me back to this game...

Evolved1

Did you return your game? I mean B2K hits tomorrow...there is hope! :)

I was pretty insulted by the trade value... but my interest in B2K is zero.

They will have to remove flashlights and add advanced analog settings/sliders before I play again. Or give us BC1 maps.

BC1 maps are so godly I have trouble believing they were made by the same people who dev'd BF3.

BC1 map pack expansion could even bring me back to this game...

sometimes i wonder if the BC1 maps really were that good or was it because the playerbase wasn't as organized back then. while i was playing BC1 recently, i really thought about it.

Also, a couple days ago I played a defence Tehran rush game with Faceless and one or two other gaffers (including a gaffer on the opposing team) were the attackers couldn't get past the first base and the game lasted for almost 40 minutes. SMH.

As soon as the game ended, most of our team quit, and it was our turn to attack. The defenders now had a 2 man advantage over us. They all fucking quit as soon as we got the first mcom, the game had to reset because there was not enough players and we were awarded a loss on Battlelog for scaring everyone on the other team.

i still can't believe they quit!

most people dislike Rush because Attackers don't want to Attack because Defenders stay prone near the objectives because the objectives have to be armed. Rush is the opposite of Rush now. it's more like creep mode.

Evolved1

sometimes i wonder if the BC1 maps really were that good or was it because the playerbase wasn't as organized back then. while i was playing BC1 recently, i really thought about it.

It was a different game, too... no kill cam. Friendly fire.

I just loved the maps man. End of the Line... I could play that 100 times in a row. Different game every time.

Can't say that about any BF3 map. Maybe Caspian. Maybe.

Nizz

I was pretty insulted by the trade value... but my interest in B2K is zero.

They will have to remove flashlights and add advanced analog settings/sliders before I play again. Or give us BC1 maps.
That's a pretty good reason why I haven't traded in my copy of BF3. When I checked maybe about a week ago it was around $18 and change on Amazon. Plus since I have the limited edition I figured I'd might as well hold onto it and download B2K for free.

ziadoz

Neo Member

Your not the only one. It feels like the only maps in this game that aren't trash are Firestorm, Kharg and Capsian. I don't really like playing the rest of them at much all.

The destruction is also really disappointing. It feels like they added a token building here and that we can destroy, none of which actually influence the gameplay. I really hope Back to Karkand is better. Even though levelling an entire map in BC2 could sometimes make things impossible, I still enjoyed it more than this.

JJD

They just updated the game trophies with the B2K ones. The "Complete Warrior" trophy requires 1 kill with an Assault Rifle, a tank and a jet...in a single fucking life.

There's no way I'm doing this. I suck with the jets... :-(

They just updated the game trophies with the B2K ones. The "Complete Warrior" trophy requires 1 kill with an Assault Rifle, a tank and a jet...in a single fucking life.

all i know is i'm gonna be jet spawning at the start of the map every game until i get it.

rdrr gnr

Jets? Oh God. I can barely drive a tank.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I have no issues with jets, the problem is most people bail out of aircrafts before they explode. I usually rack up 2-3k points a game with jets alone but 0 kills (talking hardcore servers too). You really need the laser guided air to ground missile but man that's like one of the last unlocks.

Pennybags

That one is very doable. Get a jet, spot randomly until you find a sucker, plug him with your cannon, and jump out over an empty tank. Blast some poor fool to oblivion, and then jump out to shoot someone who isn't expecting you to do so.

-Silver-

I think guided rockets (from jets) only do about 34 damage, you're better off using rocket pods. It may not be as accurate but it does allow you to attack a wide area at once, plus you can always use the Rush jets, the rip tanks to pieces.

Soma

I've gotten better at flying jets since I started BF3 (where I would just crash within 15 seconds). I just cannot for the life of me kill anyone on ground with the default guns. Doesn't help that you got at least 3-4 other people on your team wanting to fly jets too when only 2 spawn at a time.

I've been having a lot of fun with the Attack Helicopters though which is weird since I was strictly an infantry person in BC2.

TheSeks

That one is very doable. Get a jet, spot randomly until you find a sucker, plug him with your cannon, and jump out over an empty tank. Blast some poor fool to oblivion, and then jump out to shoot someone who isn't expecting you to do so.

The problem is getting the Jet kill, yeah. You have to be lucky to get it and then land safely/parachute down without anyone noticing you to shoot a person and then get in a tank and survive in it with rockets/C4 coming at you.

It's a little luck based, but possible

cobragt4001 said:
So will B2K be out at midnight or tmw evening?

We dunno. Wait?

Tell me about it, I still have yet to unlock the flares. I'm like 30 points away or so. Funny thing was, on the very first day I got battlefield 3 and tried out the jets, I was actually able to take out a number of other jets dogfighting…but these days I'm just useless and end up clipping on something when flying to low and crashing.

Evolved1

Tell me about it, I still have yet to unlock the flares. I'm like 30 points away or so. Funny thing was, on the very first day I got battlefield 3 and tried out the jets, I was actually able to take out a number of other jets dogfighting…but these days I'm just useless and end up clipping on something when flying to low and crashing.

I just can't find a config I like, that feels natural. And every time I get into the plane I have to invert the vertical flight controls because fucking DICE made chopper/jet controls under the same toggle! So dumb.

And then when I get out I have to go into options and change it back...

Kak.efes

Should be a lot easier to kill someone in a jet now that one of them can hover. If not, just crash it into infantry. Presto.

TheSeks

Should be a lot easier to kill someone in a jet now that one of them can hover. If not, just crash it into infantry. Presto.

RTFA: Complete Warrior Got a kill with the following weapons in a single life: Assault Rifle, Jet, Tank

Counter-productive, no?

Also Faceless get your ass off the 360 and help me. >:|

I'll believe this when I see it. 2-6PM is :lol because the store's updated as late as 9PM/Midnight EST before.

JJD

Big props to Rockscar for being an awesome tank gunner, using the CITV station to mark choppers, fixing and being an all around fucking great teammate!

That Canals game was fun as hell, got a squad wipe ribbon with a single guided shell!!! Folks if you're gunning for someone use the CITV station, it's awesome! I always run with the guided shell now as it gives me an option against choppers, and an edge against tanks in mid to long range engagements!

JJD

my night is complete now that we made those EX clan dudes rage quit...trollface.jpg

Those EX guys were actually competent enough to win a game on us. Now that ODT clan was laughable...they had 5, 6 guys in some games and were mercilessly raped every time! Lol!

TheSeks

It would be, if you couldn't eject.

If ejecting is like BC2 it counts as a roadkill and/or "DEATH" not a jetkill.

Meanwhile, GG Bo. Too bad that brings my 6 lose streak halfway back to the line of wins I had last night. SMH at randoms that can't use their fucking kit items. I swear to god there needs to be a huge red "FUCKING USE YOUR KIT ITEMS DUMBASS" in the middle of the screen at times.

Marvie_3

Banned

That's ridiculous.

MCOM defender is ridiculous. Knife four friends was kind of ridiculous.

This one actually doesn't seem that bad in comparison.

but knife 5 friends is easy to game and mcom defender actually makes people defend the objectives, this one is just gonna have people bailing on jets after a kill and waiting in the spawn for a tank.

olimpia84

I can only see that trophy being hard for somebody that's not good at flying jets, otherwise there's nothing really hard. They should have added a pistol and knife kill to that list to make it really interesting (and hard) ;)

Top Bottom