• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Xevren

Xux said:
I suck so bad at jets; I probably cost the US and Russia millions of dollars in jets so far. :lol

I'll probably get the jet medal before I get a kill. Just gotta keep grinding attack/defend order points 'til I get flares so I can drift around a few seconds longer like a doofus. :lol

You aren't alone! It sure is fun though. I'm starting to get the hang of it, well at least a little.

Az

Just got done playing with GAF. Not really feeling it yet, the wow factor I had from BC2 is not there.

aaannnddd... DOWN AGAIN!

i should just go to sleep early.

TheSeks said:
I'm adjusting to the speed, but man. If you've spent 700 hours with BC2 you should be able to notice the heft/weight KZ2-ish controls. I can't seem to pin-point on enemies on a dime right now. My kills are extremely lucky so far. :/

And having to unlock the kits EVEN THOUGH I HAVE VET STATUS for the defib and shit is hilariously awful. God DICE, what possessed you to do that?

I still gotta slowly drag myself into the recon's first gadget unlock but it's TERRIBLE.

And I can't fly the helicopter or jets worth a damn to get their unlocks. *sigh*
i notice the difference in deadzone calibration and ramping up in aim acceleration, but it's nothing like Killzone!

Awesome, I just grabbed my brother's 360 and I'm going to start campaign! Still can't play multiplayer, though, because I want the online pass/limited edition content to be tied to my own 360

LProtag

Is the aiming really that bad on PS3? That might make me hold off until it's found out if this will be addressed or not...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Their twitter account is hilarious atm. Take a read while you wait for the servers to come back up... again. The internet is angry!

Daigoro

MP is GLORIOUS from what i tired earlier this afternoon.

SP is worse than BC2, a goddamn snoozefest. i wanted to hang myelf after the jet level. nothing worse than sitting in a vehicle and not being able to do anything at all. and 1 hr in there were several scenes that did this to me.

do i actually have to play co-op to unlock the G3?! or is there another way to unlock it? i was looking in the menu earlier and it looked like certain weapons are only unlockable via co-op?

i was planning on checking it out anyways, but thats just kind of odd...

Tunavi

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
did you play the game yet? that happens if you haven't. i dunno if offline counts...
oh. I haven't. I was going to use battlelog to get invites from friends :/
thanks

Kibbles

MP is down of course, played some campaign, so shitty. Seriously the combat doesn't feel satisfying at all. It's just some generic dudes with horrible AI that just feels like you are shooting air when you shoot at them. :\ Waiting for MP to come back online.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Earlier today they were trying to get #BF3 to trend on twitter. My guess is that they don't want it to trend atm.

God I feel bad for their IT dept atm. That has to be the most stressful job. Managers and executives are guaranteed to be breathing down their necks.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Funny, I finally got the game installed, HD pack, all that. My son wanted to see the game, so I got in a map.. gave him the controller, he got in a plane, promptly crashed it. My daughter got in a jeep and drove around the map dodging bullets like a pro. Then went, put them down for bed.. come back.. servers down.

Dammit, don't have time for this.. gotta be up at 3:45am for work tomorrow.

No_Style

I know it's early, however jets are offering nothing, but nice explosive fireworks. Just like in BF2.

And I guess they're good for flying into helicopters. I believe Evolved1 was a victim of a kamikaze flyer.

Solid games with the GAF crew. I wish our Conquest games fared better tonight, but perhaps next time.

It's going to take time before folks get used to the maps. It's evident in the way team tactics shoots upwards whenever Operation Metro comes into play.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
InsertNameHere said:
Is the aiming really that bad on PS3? That might make me hold off until it's found out if this will be addressed or not...

It's not terrible but there's times where I can quick fire on a dude and COMPLETELY MISS because I'm fighting the controls for pin-point accuracy.

Faceless said:
>>Not KZ2<<

Dude, for me: It's nearly as bad. The TERRIBLE controls killed Killzone 2 for me. Here, I can put up with it but I'm fighting for my kills more so than knowing it's pure skill for it.

Daigoro

No_Style said:
I know it's early, however jets are offering nothing, but nice explosive fireworks. Just like in BF2.

And I guess they're good for flying into helicopters. I believe Evolved1 was a victim of a kamikaze flyer.

Solid games with the GAF crew. I wish our Conquest games fared better tonight, but perhaps next time.

It's going to take time before folks get used to the maps. It's evident in the way team tactics shoots upwards whenever Operation Metro comes into play.

lol what?!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I have a thermal scope on the SCAR. It seriously feels like I'm cheating. lol.

Thought you were hidden in that bush? Nope. I spotted you from a half mile away and now my entire team knows where you are.

I think they should probably remove this from the game. It's way OP. As are the flashlights and lasers.

TheSeks

Flashlights are so damn annoying. Yes, I know you're there. I can shoot in the middle of that blinding spot but NOPE not where you are. >:|

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
TheSeks said:
Flashlights are so damn annoying. Yes, I know you're there. I can shoot in the middle of that blinding spot but NOPE not where you are. >:|

They just aren't implemented well. It's like the laser. It blinds your entire screen. the AOE is very wide. It's like they don't know what a laser is.

Needs to be fixed. And the wallhax thermal scope I'm using needs to go. It's super cheap.

darkwing

Evolved1 said:
I have a thermal scope on the SCAR. It seriously feels like I'm cheating. lol.

Thought you were hidden in that bush? Nope. I spotted you from a half mile away and now my entire team knows where you are.

I think they should probably remove this from the game. It's way OP. As are the flashlights and lasers.

shhhhh it's our little secret

Random Impressions / The usual tradition of release whining:
  • Game feels more like a glorified version of MoH than either BF2 or BC2. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • Aiming is indeed heavier and floatier than the beta (and I liked the beta controls.)
  • Beware of falling trees. It kills.
  • I can never tell when my parachute pops. I seem to fall at the same speed either way. Is it just me?
  • Not a fan of "animated jumping"(?). My soldier can leap over a block half his height, but can't jump/climb out of a trench.
  • I'm not crazy about the sensitive of weapons in vehicles. Doesn't seem like there's anyway for me to change that.
  • Point value wise, there is very little incentive to play recon. Both gadgets (radio beacon & T-UGS) rewards no point for either spawns or spotting. Which is a shame, cause I see most people not wanting to play recon - even though it is easily one of the most useful class in rush/team death match game modes. The class is relatively useless in conquest for anything other than sniping though.
  • On the other hand, playing assault, support and engineer is still like a Christmas give away in terms of points. This is especially true for engineers, where repairs are much faster with little to no cooldown.

TheSeks

I haven't even unlocked much because I keep dying to higher level bullshit like the flashlight "blinding" me when I'm firing wildly on a dude where he should be. Or getting hit by darkness cubby holes in the urban maps. :/

At least I have Rush Winner/Conquest Winner/Squad Rush winner pins. The only gametype pin I need left is the Squad Deathmatch winner pin and then I can focus solely on Rush/Conquest and the situational stuff.

I'd just wish they'd fix the controls. Jesus christ aiming with the killzone like deadzone is hilariously awful. :|

Jets controls aren't bad from the little I played. But it's just confusing because the "pitch/yaw" turning is on left stick while the right stick allows a bigger degree of 6DoF in terms of fast turns.

I also want to punch whoever at DICE thought not having rockets to help level up the jets faster is a good idea. Only having the machine guns and having to hope to kill an infantry in bombing dives is crazy. As is trying to "dogfight" with the confusing pitch/yaw controls. I guess I'm too used to BC2's "strafe" circles to where I think "oh, push left to quick turn" and no that just slowly inches the nose left/right instead of turning completely vertical while pushing the nose down/up to quick turn.

No_Style

Daigoro said:
lol what?!

In my experience, having jets contribute to the overall game was a problem in BF2. Yes, they did help every once in awhile, but more often than not they're fighting their own little battle above the battlefield. The victor gets to wreak havoc on the ground troops until the rival jet respawns. Then it's rinse and repeat.

The only time I've ever seen jets turn the tide of battle was when the enemy jet was stolen then it's just domination at that point.

I'm hoping they play a more significant role in BF3.

The Faceless Master said:
Noshahr Canals CQ

does the US team EVER win?

I've only played one match and was wondering how the U.S forces would win as well. I have no idea how they thought it was fair to pin two quick Russian spawning tanks against them.

TheSeks

Dreamgazer said:
[*]I can never tell when my parachute pops. I seem to fall at the same speed either way. Is it just me?

Agree. It doesn't seem to slow down and even if I pop it I get fall damage randomly. WTF.

[*]Not a fan of "animated jumping"(?). My soldier can leap over a block half his height, but can't jump/climb out of a trench.

I don't mind it, but yeah. It's basically a "vault" animation and no way to actually climb something that would logically be something you could vault over. For all their work in Mirror's Edge, it seems DICE doesn't let you Parkour with a bunch of heavy gear even though you could grab that concrete barrier and heft yourself up. :/

[[*]Point value wise, there is very little incentive to play recon. Both gadgets (radio beacon & T-UGS) rewards no point for either spawns or spotting. Which is a shame, cause I see most people not wanting to play recon - even though it is easily one of the most useful class in rush/team death match game modes. The class is relatively useless in conquest for anything other than sniping though.

I'd go father to say that the new "beacon"/spotting mine is crazy terrible. I tried to do it in that Evolved and Olimpia tank split game but you can't "throw it" and it's "plant in certain areas where we say you can." The TAR-G or whatever the fuck. The first gadget unlock besides the mobile spawn point. It's fucking terrible for attackers. I can probably see the value in defense Rush but since it only "makes a sound" apparently it's utterly USELESS to me. GG DICE.

[*]On the other hand, playing assault, support and engineer is still like a Christmas give away in terms of points. This is especially true for engineers, where repairs are much faster with little to no cooldown.

I'd agree with this if the default RPG could kill tanks. Disabling tanks is so fucking stupid since people will bail. There's no reason to attempt to go for the kill (yes, yes, work as a team, but it still allows bailing before the killshot) when you can wait for the two to pop out and then track them down and kill them.

And DEAR GOD DICE: FIX THE FUCKING PS3 CONTROLS. GOD. You had it perfect in BC2, WTF DID YOU MESS WITH TO RUIN IT!?

TheSeks said:
I'd go father to say that the new "beacon"/spotting mine is crazy terrible. I tried to do it in that Evolved and Olimpia tank split game but you can't "throw it" and it's "plant in certain areas where we say you can." The TAR-G or whatever the fuck. The first gadget unlock besides the mobile spawn point. It's fucking terrible for attackers. I can probably see the value in defense Rush but since it only "makes a sound" apparently it's utterly USELESS to me. GG DICE.

The beacon is useful, but yeah there are no clear rule as to where it can be placed.
The worst part to me is that you can't retract it or place another one to cancel your previous one out. Jerk players can easily just camp the beacon for some cheap kills.

The T-UGS is fine for rush, where at most you need to worry about 2 crates (that are usually relatively close to one another. It is fairly useless on conquest, where people can be running all over the place. I really hope Dice can give us a clear idea of its range

I'd agree with this if the default RPG could kill tanks. Disabling tanks is so fucking stupid since people will bail. There's no reason to attempt to go for the kill (yes, yes, work as a team, but it still allows bailing before the killshot) when you can wait for the two to pop out and then track them down and kill them.

I'm okay with disabling tanks. However, I find it hilarious to see people walk out alive when I fire a rocket at a jeep.

And DEAR GOD DICE: FIX THE FUCKING PS3 CONTROLS. GOD. You had it perfect in BC2, WTF DID YOU MESS WITH TO RUIN IT!?
To make it more real?
I liked the beta controls...

TheSeks

Dreamgazer said:
The beacon is useful, but yeah there are no clear rule as to where it can be placed.
The worst part to me is that you can't retract it or place another one to cancel your previous one out. Jerk players can easily just camp the beacon for some cheap kills.

The T-UGS is fine for rush, where at most you need to worry about 2 crates (that are usually relatively close to one another. It is fairly useless on conquest, where people can be running all over the place. I really hope Dice can give us a clear idea of its range

T-UGS is so terrible. Place one, have to pick it back up. Can't throw it to see what's ahead of you. ENJOY! :D!

I'm okay with disabling tanks. However, I find it hilarious to see people walk out alive when I fire a rocket at a jeep.

IMO Disables should be for air vehicles. But tanks/jeeps should be one-two hits and death. No disabling and getting out of jail free card. >:|

To make it more real?
I liked the beta controls...

Except this is a game, I never asked for Killzone 2 controls. I asked for Bad Company 2 controls. Why is it so hard for DICE to understand me and twenty+ other people that played BC2 for hours want that?

If I go aim-down sight in real life I'm not suddenly going to jerk left/right when shifting my view left or right. Or slowly through molasses aim left-right either. The current controls SUCK and the dead-zone/acceleration or whatever is TERRIBLE.

I never played the beta, so I can't say there. But coming from BC2 final to BF3 final is jarring and it's really a turn off.

ziadoz

Neo Member
Just got the PS3 version (PSN ID: ziadoz). I can't believe this game has a real server browser. I'd almost forgotten what one looks like since I moved to console gaming.

Daigoro

yeah dont know whats up with the parachutes. feels weird.

i only played for about 50 minutes earlier on about 4 maps, but i didnt notice anything major with the aiming on 360. is this just a PS3 thing, or did i just not notice the deadzone?

has Faceless commented on the aiming on xbox yet?

No_Style said:
In my experience, having jets contribute to the overall game was a problem in BF2. Yes, they did help every once in awhile, but more often than not they're fighting their own little battle above the battlefield. The victor gets to wreak havoc on the ground troops until the rival jet respawns. Then it's rinse and repeat.

The only time I've ever seen jets turn the tide of battle was when the enemy jet was stolen then it's just domination at that point.

I'm hoping they play a more significant role in BF3.

they certainly werent useless in BF2. a good pilot would absolutely rape anything on the ground unless your team had a decent pilot to keep it busy.

not sure how they should go about changing it though, if it needs fixing.

Xux

I haven't had any issues with aiming. I think it feels way better than what I remember BC2 feeling like.

Also, fuck jets, Amtracs are where it's at. Took out, like, two tanks and a Vodnik with the tube cannon...then I DCed. :(

Hopefully someone can sympathize with this... (360 gamer)

Me and 1 other friend have been trying to play together all night - we constantly get dropped from games or put on opposite teams or one gets in and the other gets dumped to lobby. We tried and tried and had tons of problems, maybe had 2 or 3 full games together. So much broken stuff - like it "searching for a squad" forever and leaving you by yourself the whole game, or not being able to invite a friend (won't give you the option) even though there's space, or not being able to switch teams even though there's space.

It was a damn nightmare. Anyone else? I was going to try to convert some non-Battlefield people this Friday but if it was doing this with 2 people I'd say our odds of getting 8 people into a match together are fucking 0 percent.

:(

Why isn't there a way to practice flying jets without getting raped online? I am trying to figure out which control scheme works best for myself.

JJD

Genesis Knight said:
Hopefully someone can sympathize with this... (360 gamer)

Me and 1 other friend have been trying to play together all night - we constantly get dropped from games or put on opposite teams or one gets in and the other gets dumped to lobby. We tried and tried and had tons of problems, maybe had 2 or 3 full games together. So much broken stuff - like it "searching for a squad" forever and leaving you by yourself the whole game, or not being able to invite a friend (won't give you the option) even though there's space, or not being able to switch teams even though there's space.

It was a damn nightmare. Anyone else? I was going to try to convert some non-Battlefield people this Friday but if it was doing this with 2 people I'd say our odds of getting 8 people into a match together are fucking 0 percent.

Seems that the 360 servers are having some issues. A lot of people are experiencing it. Just be a little patient, it will be fixed soon.

Every single BF game has had problems on launch, BF3 is just keeping the tradition.

Jas

olimpia84 said:
Damn, first day and PS3 GAF is already steamrolling. We only lost one because it was a fluke but we didn't have many problems winning after that. I noticed some people sent me friend requests but I'm not sure if they're gaffers or not so I will compare their names to the list. To make things easier people should add BF3 GAF or something in the friend invite.

Those games were fun :)
I didn't want to leave but I need food and sleep every now and then, haha.

Dreamgazer said:
Aiming is indeed heavier and floatier than the beta (and I liked the beta controls.)

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy, I couldn't believe the controls changed from the beta.

Genesis Knight said:

Did the same exact thing in the PS3 beta. Spent over a hour with a friend of mine to try to get on the same team...never happened.
Only tried going into a server with a party once so far and it worked on retail. VOIP is pretty spotty tho.

Daigoro

Alienshogun said:
How has Noone created a BF3 NeoGAF 360 platoon?

I'll do it now.

Search for NeoGAF on battlelog and add me as a friend or try to join from there.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655240989127346/listmembers/

its been done, check the 360 GT/Platoon thread here in the community section.

Alienshogun said:
Anyone getting graphical glitching and sound cutting in and out every once in a while?

sound cutting in and out, yep. what kind of graphical glitches?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Daigoro said:
its been done, check the 360 GT/Platoon thread here in the community section.

sound cutting in and out, yep. what kind of graphical glitches?

It didn't come up when I checked on battlelog. The only thing that came up was PS3 and PC.

Really bad pop in, and sometimes flickering.

Edit: Ah I see the platoon now. I didn't see that link originally in that thread.

Daigoro

Alienshogun said:
It didn't come up when I checked on battlelog. The only thing that came up was PS3 and PC.

Really bad pop in, and sometimes flickering.

Edit: Ah I see the platoon now. I didn't see that link originally in that thread.

yeah for the graphics try deleting the install and texture pack, try installing textures first and then the game.

Ketch

Tunavi said:
Origin: "Your account is not allowed to login"

WAI

Yea so I'm having this issue, and playing the game online or in campaign is not happening. I figure it's got to be something with my PSN ID not linked to my EA account so I sent them an email and right now I'm trying to raise them on their support chatroom thingy...

I guess what you could also probably try to do is play another EA game that has online where it requires you to log into their servers, but allows you to enter your EA account information from the game... that way it would hopefully update your EA account with your new/current PSN ID.... I guess. I haven't been able to do that because I don't own any other EA online games on PS3... so back to waiting.

olimpia84

I'm done for tonight. The game is fun but it doesn't have the wow factor that BC2 provided and I really miss the physics from the previous game, specially when in vehicles. They are way too floaty and it feels like you're driving on ice (I really doubt that's how a real life Abrams handles).

Aiming is hard as hell too; I just about tried every possible sensitivity setting and I still can't get comfortable =/ I guess it's one of those things where you just have to keep playing.

red731

I would wait for another patch. They must be working hard to keep the game interesting for people who are doubting everything now.

But I will try it out for myself later when I get home. 7h left...

Top Bottom