• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

KageMaru

I didn't think this was worth it's own thread, but I was curious to know what GAF thought about base camping/killing and if it's considered "ok" when the developers don't implement thorough enough anti-camping methods?

I ask this because lately I've run into players who have no issue destroying enemy jets before players can even load into them or killing players as soon as they spawn at the base.

IMO no matter how the game is designed, it's just poor sportsmanship and a dick move to fly around the enemy's base killing and blowing up their vehicles. Never understood how people can ruin the fun of others for a cheap meaningless win/kill.

What are your thoughts GAF?

Almost nothing pisses me off or annoys me in gaming anyone (I'm 34) but spawn camping is one of them. A lot of what online FPS games do mimic sports, and in that sense there's no excuse, for the player or the developer, to not impose an "offsides" rule.

KageMaru

Almost nothing pisses me off or annoys me in gaming anyone (I'm 34) but spawn camping is one of them. A lot of what online FPS games do mimic sports, and in that sense there's no excuse, for the player or the developer, to not impose an "offsides" rule.

Exactly. It bothers me to no end and the last few days I've played I witnessed my own team spawn camp the enemy with a tank when they only had 3 people on their entire team. I msg my own teammates asking them WTF?

Later in the day, our base is being pounded hard by the enemy's jets and chopper, you don't even last 3 seconds after spawning in a jet. I simply message the guy who killed me "Base killing?.....Really?" and get some type of bullshit reply "I'm sorry, I didn't know in times of war, you're supposed to allow enemy jets to take off". I reply that this is a game, not war, and that people like him ruin good games. He then responds that I need to read up on IGN (lol) to see that DICE thinks the base killing is ok since people can just use anti-air weapons on the air vehicles (bullshit).

I'm sorry, I don't care what weapons are available, it's the principle behind this kind of behavior that annoys me. To put it in another way, if these games were handled in person over a LAN instead of over the internet, this kind of shit would not be tolerated.

olimpia84

does W/L ratio matters to you guys?? to me it doesnt matter i just want a nice BALANCED online war thats all

u know a last minute kill by a nooob can win the match for you.... so does this ratio matters?

For the most part it matters because it's a good indication on how successful you are and how much you contribute to win. Also It's a good sign of being a smart team player and shows that you are most likely the type of player that goes for the objectives and such.

I know that feel bro. Went from like 4.20 to a now 3.5 or there about having to play Squad Deathmatch and people not playing the objective.

The same happened to me. My W/L took a nosedive while I went to get the medals for Squad Rush, TDM and SDM. I think I'm stuck (and will be stuck) in around 4.5 unless I exclusively play with gaffers which I know I won't because sometimes all the games are full and I don't have the patience of waiting in a queue line.

olimpia84

Were you expecting something different?

Every now and then you get a competent and decent bunch of randoms in your team but what I enjoy from playing with them is the challenge. Sometimes you can really put the team in your shoulders and lead them to victory...it feels great. Unfortunately for me, last night was just a hopeless bunch of randoms and ended up losing like 6 games in a row but that's just part of the game =/

does W/L ratio matters to you guys?? to me it doesnt matter i just want a nice BALANCED online war thats all

u know a last minute kill by a nooob can win the match for you.... so does this ratio matters?

1)You acknowledged there are noobs. Therefore you have to acknowledge there is no such thing as a "nice balanced online war" unless every game are matched to eliminate "noobness" between teams.

2)A win is a win. It doesn't matter if it's a noob or a self inflicted enemy suicide. Granted, I wouldn't be playing this game for long if people are just handing me free wins by killing themselves.

3)W/L is the most relevant stat in terms of progression. All stats become moot at one point or another. However, nothing tells you more about your skills, choice of companions, choice of game mode/skill allocation than w/l.

I didn't think this was worth it's own thread, but I was curious to know what GAF thought about base camping/killing and if it's considered "ok" when the developers don't implement thorough enough anti-camping methods?

I ask this because lately I've run into players who have no issue destroying enemy jets before players can even load into them or killing players as soon as they spawn at the base.

IMO no matter how the game is designed, it's just poor sportsmanship and a dick move to fly around the enemy's base killing and blowing up their vehicles. Never understood how people can ruin the fun of others for a cheap meaningless win/kill.

should you kill them once they spawn into the jet?

when they start going down the runway?

once they take off?

count to 5 after they take off?

when they reach a crusing altitude?

give them a lap around the map first?

Kak.efes

I only camp campers, and if the game is in hand. You ever receive hate mail from a camper concerning you camping them? I don't even..

Az987

all good things
Ah this game is so much fun, I love it!

I just played a game of Rush on Noshahr Canals and I was defending the base in the 2k22 Tunguska. I got out to repair it and this fucker on the other team hopped in it and killed me. He raked up like 30 kills and no deaths just slaughtering my team and I felt like a jack ass for letting him get it but I couldn't take him out as an engineer because he had someone repairing him and my team was somewhat inept.

I kept trying to sneak up on him with C4 but he kept killing me. Finally I wandered back to his teams spawn point and saw there was HMMWV spawned so I put 6 things of C4 on the hood of it, rammed him from behind, hopped out and blew it all. I killed myself but it took care of him too. :lol

It brought back memories of BF 1942 when I would load up a jeep with TNT and blow it up when I got close to an enemy tank.

KageMaru

should you kill them once they spawn into the jet?

when they start going down the runway?

once they take off?

count to 5 after they take off?

when they reach a crusing altitude?

give them a lap around the map first?

How about just stay out of their base and handle them when they are in the air? I love to pilot and there is never a moment where I don't have a target within the actual playing area. Generally when you take off with a jet, you don't automatically know where the enemy is, however if they are flying around your base, that gives them a [cheap] and unfair advantage IMO. Yes I know every base has an anti-air gun, but you can only shoot at one jet/chopper at a time and they can still easily dominate your base.

By your reply, I assume you have no issue with base camping and probably do it yourself? If so, why is a meaningless win worth ruining the fun of others?

I only camp campers, and if the game is in hand. You ever receive hate mail from a camper concerning you camping them? I don't even..

I don't get hate mail about camping since I don't camp bases. Sorry if that's not what you're asking, I may have misunderstood your post here. =/

Edit:

also, if you want to play with your own made up rules, rent a server and play the PC version, then you can just kick people who aren't playing your way.

It's not about "playing my way", it's about having respect and not being a dick on the internet because I can. Far too often people act like douche bags over the internet (online gaming obviously included) due to the anonymous nature of the internet. How some people accept, or even defend, this type of behavior is beyond me.

How about just stay out of their base and handle them when they are in the air? I love to pilot and there is never a moment where I don't have a target within the actual playing area. Generally when you take off with a jet, you don't automatically know where the enemy is, however if they are flying around your base, that gives them a [cheap] and unfair advantage IMO. Yes I know every base has an anti-air gun, but you can only shoot at one jet/chopper at a time and they can still easily dominate your base.

By your reply, I assume you have no issue with base camping and probably do it yourself? If so, why is a meaningless win worth ruining the fun of others?

I don't get hate mail about camping since I don't camp bases. Sorry if that's not what you're asking, I may have misunderstood your post here. =/

how far out of their base? at the gates? spot them 10M? 50M? 100M?

KageMaru

how far out of their base? at the gates? spot them 10M? 50M? 100M?

This is an asinine question and you know it. There is no mistaking someone camping a base and someone just playing the game, sticking to the main battle area.

So it's safe to say that you're one of those gamers who have no issue ruining the fun for others just for a cheap win? It doesn't matter what you have to do as long as you win, right?

This is an asinine question and you know it. There is no mistaking someone camping a base and someone just playing the game, sticking to the main battle area.

So it's safe to say that you're one of those gamers who have no issue ruining the fun for others just for a cheap win? It doesn't matter what you have to do as long as you win, right?
it's a pretty valid question, what's asinine is the "you know it when you see it" attitude you're giving... can you just give a straight answer?

well, game breaking glitches like the TV missile thing to be the gunner in an enemy helicopter is off limits.

PedYup

I concur with Faceless, regardless of what, how, where and when, the opposing team is to be terminated the sooner the better.

KageMaru

it's a pretty valid question, what's asinine is the "you know it when you see it" attitude you're giving... can you just give a straight answer?

well, game breaking glitches like the TV missile thing to be the gunner in an enemy helicopter is off limits.

I'm sorry, I'll try to explain it better. If I'm trying to take off in a jet, at my base, and you're constantly gunning me down before I can even get off the runway, IMO that's considered base camping. If your helicopter is waiting behind our base, on the opposite side of the actual playing area, that's considered base camping IMO. If I'm playing Rush mode, and you sneak behind our new spawn point to snipe at people running towards the M-COM stations, that's considered base camping IMO.

Basically the enemy should have no business being in your base IMO and if they are in your base, they are likely base camping. So do you find this acceptable?

I concur with Faceless, regardless of what, how, where and when, the opposing team is to be terminated the sooner the better.

So to hell with respect and sportsmanship in an online game just because you can? It's no wonder I usually hate competitive gaming online. Far too many people are willing to do whatever for a stupid win.

Nothing beats a nice big LAN party where if you pulled that kind of bullshit, your arms would be sore from being punched, and rightfully so IMO.

I'm sorry, I'll try to explain it better. If I'm trying to take off in a jet, at my base, and you're constantly gunning me down before I can even get off the runway, IMO that's considered base camping. If your helicopter is waiting behind our base, on the opposite side of the actual playing area, that's considered base camping IMO. If I'm playing Rush mode, and you sneak behind our new spawn point to snipe at people running towards the M-COM stations, that's considered base camping IMO.

Basically the enemy should have no business being in your base IMO and if they are in your base, they are likely base camping. So do you find this acceptable?
totally. resource management.

So to hell with respect and sportsmanship in an online game just because you can? It's no wonder I usually hate competitive gaming online. Far too many people are willing to do whatever for a stupid win.

Nothing beats a nice big LAN party where if you pulled that kind of bullshit, your arms would be sore from being punched, and rightfully so IMO.
i still remember my first negative feedback on XBL. some dude in PDZ said that shooting people in the back wasn't fair.

The server browser nullifies the ranked or unranked matches which means you're going to get lopsided games. Plus the shit 3 flags in a line CQ design. The base camping is much more manageable in BF3 when compared to BC2.

The purpose of the game is to win and to do that you have to kill players from the opposing team. And I don't really think theres a "nice" or "sporting" way to do that. Grant you, there are some maps that still need tweaking. At any rate DICE isn't done developing the game. My guess is we'll see at least one more TU to address any lingering bugs(which there are still several) and further tweak the balance.

My enjoyment of the game comes from winning and if I have the team skilled enough to allow me/us to mercilessly crush the opposing team then so be it.

Most all maps have some sort of countermeasure to address your complaints however.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

It's the developer's responsibility to balance the game. And as players, it's our responsibility to understand what tools/tactics are available/possible and to make our choices accordingly. Getting base camped when you spawn into a plane on the runway? Don't do it. Spawn elsewhere and jump into the invulnerable AA. Handle the guy harassing your base and then get back to the objective. It's your team's fault for getting pushed back into your own spawn. Maybe (as is so often the case) if half your team wasn't "snipers" you'd have enough pressure on the objectives to pull attention away from your base. It's not the other team's fault (or DICE's) that your side is incompetent.

Someone hiding in your base picking people off? Kill them. Let your squad know. 4 vs. 1 should be a pretty quick solution. More than one base camping? That's more than one not defending the objective. Use it to your advantage. Punish them by pushing forward and taking crates/flags while they get their 3-4 scrub kills.

Also... this is a competitive game. The goal is to win. If "fun" is your primary goal you're probably barking up the wrong tree. The game is fun, in the way sports are fun, but it's a competitive shooter. The goal is to win.

There are things I don't like about the game... I personally will not use flashlights or frag rounds, or base camp an undermanned opposing team. But that's just my own sportsmanship, and I don't expect it from the community. Because the dev gave them those tools, and it is what it is.

KageMaru

totally. resource management.

SMH, that type of excuse can pretty much be used for any type of bullshit tactic in the game.

i still remember my first negative feedback on XBL. some dude in PDZ said that shooting people in the back wasn't fair.

These two things are in no way comparable. Shooting someone in the back is inevitable and unavoidable in a shooter, however sitting behind someone's spawn can be avoided if the player isn't being a dick.

Edit:

It's the developer's responsibility to balance the game. And as players, it's our responsibility to understand what tools/tactics are available/possible and to make our choices accordingly. Getting base camped when you spawn into a plane on the runway? Don't do it. Spawn elsewhere and jump into the invulnerable AA. Handle the guy harassing your base and then get back to the objective. It's your team's fault for getting pushed back into your own spawn. Maybe (as is so often the case) if half your team wasn't "snipers" you'd have enough pressure on the objectives to pull attention away from your base. It's not the other team's fault (or DICE's) that your side is incompetent.

Someone hiding in your base picking people off? Kill them. Let your squad know. 4 vs. 1 should be a pretty quick solution. More than one base camping? That's more than one not defending the objective. Use it to your advantage. Punish them by pushing forward and taking crates/flags while they get their 3-4 scrub kills.

Also... this is a competitive game. The goal is to win. If "fun" is your primary goal you're probably barking up the wrong tree. The game is fun, in the way sports are fun, but it's a competitive shooter. The goal is to win.

There are things I don't like about the game... I personally will not use flashlights or frag rounds, or base camp an undermanned opposing team. But that's just my own sportsmanship, and I don't expect it from the community. Because the dev gave them those tools, and it is what it is.

So the lack of foresight on the dev's end gives justification for people to spawn camp?

I understand that it'll happen, dickheads are all over the place, and communication can help clean up anyone who cares to spawn camp. My main point is that it's bullshit and an unnecessary tactic to win.

The problem with games like BF3, it's not easy to communicate and coordinate with your whole team. So it's usually just you and your squad, or maybe two squads if you're in a party chat. Unfortunately I don't have control over what the whole team does.

Also, sorry but regardless if it's a competitive game, cooperative game, or single player game, the point of playing a game is to have fun. There are other competitive games, plenty in fact, however the difference between a sports game (for example) and an online game, the sports game has referees to make sure no one is pulling any bullshit. Unfortunately it's not realistic to expect this in an online game (outside of tournaments), but that still doesn't excuse poor sportsmanship IMO. I can care less if I lose every game, as long as I'm having fun that's all that matters to me.

Sorry but whoever base camps is an asshole to me, they disregard all respect for a "win" that means absolutely nothing in the end, only to boast about their e-penis.

I was going to agree with you by saying "yes, in Rush there is no reason for the defending team to be in your base" but that's not true. As a defending team, the objective is to prevent the other team from destroying the MCOM stations. By base camping, you are preventing the other team from reaching your stations, thus preventing their destruction.

It's a perfectly viable option within the current game. I think it's shitty, because it's not fun for Ithe team being killed. At the very least, there should be more options to punish the tactic if it's being abused.

But if a team is in that position (getting spawn killed) isn't it usually because they've screwed up somehow? When I've been in this position it's been after we've been getting totally crushed by an obviously superior team. They're just quickening the pace of your inevitable loss.

I still rage when it happens to me though. I am not this rational in the heat of battle.

Evolved1

Usually this shit is punishment for someone on your team making bad decisions.

You make a really stupid choice, and there are consequences. You bail on a tank or chopper and the other team gets it? Well, get ready to take your medicine.

With the exception of a completely imbalanced match (the other side has a ton more players) getting base camped is your own fault.

SMH, that type of excuse can pretty much be used for any type of bullshit tactic in the game.

These two things are in no way comparable. Shooting someone in the back is inevitable and unavoidable in a shooter, however sitting behind someone's spawn can be avoided if the player isn't being a dick.
they're both very comparable, they're both made up rules.

that's a reason, not an excuse. why would you let the other team use their vehicles if you can steal or destroy them?

Edit:

So the lack of foresight on the dev's end gives justification for people to spawn camp?

I understand that it'll happen, dickheads are all over the place, and communication can help clean up anyone who cares to spawn camp. My main point is that it's bullshit and an unnecessary tactic to win.

The problem with games like BF3, it's not easy to communicate and coordinate with your whole team. So it's usually just you and your squad, or maybe two squads if you're in a party chat. Unfortunately I don't have control over what the whole team does.

Also, sorry but regardless if it's a competitive game, cooperative game, or single player game, the point of playing a game is to have fun. There are other competitive games, plenty in fact, however the difference between a sports game (for example) and an online game, the sports game has referees to make sure no one is pulling any bullshit. Unfortunately it's not realistic to expect this in an online game (outside of tournaments), but that still doesn't excuse poor sportsmanship IMO. I can care less if I lose every game, as long as I'm having fun that's all that matters to me.

Sorry but whoever base camps is an asshole to me, they disregard all respect for a "win" that means absolutely nothing in the end, only to boast about their e-penis.
actually, i've played against many teams and they tried to spawn camp my team... and they lost. easy win for us with so many of their team not focusing on the objectives. if spawn camping was an easy tactic to use to get a win, everyone would do it. what usually happens is one team just isn't as good, and they start losing, lose more, get pushed back, and then they get spawn camped. the spawn camping itself is just a byproduct of their failure, not the cause. the winning team could fall back, let the other team leave their base, spot them a capture point, spot them two caps, and still come back and roll them.

KageMaru

Most all maps have some sort of countermeasure to address your complaints however.

Sorry but no. We've been in games where they have all of their air vehicles just raining down hell on our base. In this situation, one anti-air gun just doesn't cut it.

I was going to agree with you by saying "yes, in Rush there is no reason for the defending team to be in your base" but that's not true. As a defending team, the objective is to prevent the other team from destroying the MCOM stations. By base camping, you are preventing the other team from reaching your stations, thus preventing their destruction.

It's a perfectly viable option within the current game. I think it's shitty, because it's not fun for Ithe team being killed. At the very least, there should be more options to punish the tactic if it's being abused.

But if a team is in that position (getting spawn killed) isn't it usually because they've screwed up somehow? When I've been in this position it's been after we've been getting totally crushed by an obviously superior team. They're just quickening the pace of your inevitable loss.

I still rage when it happens to me though. I am not this rational in the heat of battle.

Generally yeah I agree and in some ways, spawn camping hinders the camping team since they aren't there to protect the M-COM stations. However lately I've been in games where our base is being bombarded with air attacks even when our team is holding their own.

As I said earlier, it's the principle behind such tactics that piss me off. IMO it's immature and pathetic when people take advantage of the anonymous nature of the internet to act like dickheads.

Usually this shit is punishment for someone on your team making bad decisions.

You make a really stupid choice, and there are consequences. You bail on a tank or chopper and the other team gets it? Well, get ready to take your medicine.

With the exception of a completely imbalanced match (the other side has a ton more players) getting base camped is your own fault.

I agree with you completely about bailing on a vehicle. I have no issue with being punished for stupid decisions. It's the gamers desperate for a cheap win that are willing to ruin the fun for others that I have an issue with.

Edit:

they're both very comparable, they're both made up rules.

that's a reason, not an excuse. why would you let the other team use their vehicles if you can steal or destroy them?

No they are not comparable just for the simple fact that one can be avoided while the other cannot, at least realistically speaking. No one in their right mind should expect people not to shoot you in the back if they get the opportunity. However I see nothing wrong with wanting the respect of not having some asshat base camp us with all of their air vehicles.

actually, i've played against many teams and they tried to spawn camp my team... and they lost. easy win for us with so many of their team not focusing on the objectives. if spawn camping was an easy tactic to use to get a win, everyone would do it. what usually happens is one team just isn't as good, and they start losing, lose more, get pushed back, and then they get spawn camped. the spawn camping itself is just a byproduct of their failure, not the cause. the winning team could fall back, let the other team leave their base, spot them a capture point, spot them two caps, and still come back and roll them.

I never said the tactic works towards a win every time, in fact earlier in this post I said how it can hinder the spawn camping team. That doesn't mean it kills the fun any less.

I'd much rather lose to a team who's respectful than win against a team that camps our base. I play to have fun, not to win, winning is just a bonus for me in the end since I think you can still have "good games" even if you lose.

and the attacking team has to stop the M-COM stations from being disarmed, and what's a better way than cutting off the supply of reinforcements from their spawn?

Sorry but no. We've been in games where they have all of their air vehicles just raining down hell on our base. In this situation, one anti-air gun just doesn't cut it.

Being pissed off at the community for playing the game as its designed is just wrong though.

Edit:

"I can care less if I lose every game, as long as I'm having fun that's all that matters to me. "

Oh gee, don't taunt the "fun" argument as if it's the end all be all.

Game hackers always claim they're just trying to have fun.
People who do nothing but snipe all day claim they're just trying to have fun.
Anyone who ever say otherwise are just trying to "ruin their fun", "being uptight", "dictating" or just plain right evil, right? geez.

I can tell you first hand that you would be runing my "fun" if you don't want to win and just maintaine "sportsmanship" all day. Cause that's not fun to me.

Like evolved, I don't personally use the tac light, frags rounds, etc etc. However, I know all those are just personal values, and I would be crazy to expect someone else to abide by it. As for those people who ruins my fun (by not focusing on objectives, giving away vehicles), I've learn to either not play with them or just whine and then forget about them. Learn to do the same or see the brighter side of things:

1)You don't need vehicles to win
2)More idiots spawn camping = less worries at objectives.
3)Beacon is there for a reason, use it.

Not to mention, anyone who is REALLY serious (like psychotically serious, like me) about "wins" will never be near the opponent's spawn at the first place. They would be at the objective watching the m-coms like an OCD mother watching over her precious baby (like me.) screaming "AAAAABBBBBAAAAABBBB.....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh" (like me.)

KageMaru

Being pissed off at the community for playing the game as its designed is just wrong though.

I'm not pissed off at the community, just incredibly annoyed at people who feel the need to base camp.

Obviously I'm alone in this way of thinking and we should just remove the battlefield entire and just place both bases next to each other so everyone can base-rape /sarcasm

i'd also like to know just how much hell is being rained down on what maps and how.

It was a few days, and many drinks ago, but it was on a CQ map that had two jets, an attach chopper, and transport chopper. Sorry I'm horrible with names =/

I was on a good squad of players, the person in the anti-air is especially a good shot, but even he couldn't keep up with all the air vehicles flying over our base. It was that game that sunk my original question in my head. Unfortunately after that night, I left for the holiday weekend, so I didn't have a chance to ask my question until today.

Edit:

I can tell you first hand that you would be runing my "fun" if you don't want to win and just maintaine "sportsmanship" all day. Cause that's not fun to me.

Whoever said I don't want to win? Everyone wants to win, that much is obvious, and I play my best to win. However I don't lower myself to underhanded tactics just to win.

Just because I place having fun before winning doesn't mean that I don't try to win. If you've ever played with you me, you would know that I communicate well, work towards the objectives, can strategize well, etc.

Maybe I haven't been describing my side well, my point has been about the principle behind it all.

On the topic of base camping, I'll never understand why DICE didn't make the attackers' bases off-limits for the defenders.

Then again, there are a ton of other boneheaded design decisions in Battlefield 3.

KageMaru

On the topic of base camping, I'll never understand why DICE didn't make the attackers' bases off-limits for the defenders.

Then again, there are a ton of other boneheaded design decisions in Battlefield 3.

If I were on the design team, I'd place 2 or 3 automatic turrets with range just beyond the range of the aircrafts. That way base camping is policed easily and both teams would know their boundaries or they would get shot out of the sky.

Something that simple could have avoided so much frustration.

JJD

In an actual war do you think anyone has a problem at destroying an enemy base to the ground to gain a strategic advantage?

I really do think base camping is a valid tactic. If you're doing it alone you're probably going to be taken out really quickly, if your whole team is doing it then the other team just can't compete and probably wouldn't be able to get the objectives anyway.

Also, being spawn raped can be fun if you have at least a competent squad. It's fun trying to sneak out, and if you manage to do it you have a good shot at taking the objectives.

I'll give you an example. I was playing a couple of days ago with Olimpia, Ejas and some fellow gaffers against a pretty annoying team (both teams had the same amount of players, and lvl. wise were pretty even. One squad of veterans for each side, and the rest were low lvl. players). We easily won a rush game defending on Canals, never lost an mcom but then it was our turn to attack.

Canals is a map were the defenders have a really solid start up game. Both mcoms are really close to each other and you get the Tunguska which in capable hands is a death machine.

We managed to take out the first mcom in the open pretty quickly, but the one inside the warehouse was hard. The whole enemy team was defending it, the Tunguska driver was competent. They took out every chopper and Armtrack that get close to the mcom.

Eventually we managed to take the mcom with less than 30 tickets remaining.

The second set was equally hard, but we managed to destroy it. Then the fun began. The enemy team began to spawn rape us on our base at the third set. I died a lot trying to sneak past then, at one time me and Ejas almost managed to break free but we were chased by the Tunguska, a humvee and 2 players on foot.

As soon as I was able to spawn again, I saw that a lone gaffer had not only managed to sneak by, but he was standing next to the B mcom (the hardest one inside a garage) waiting for us. Our whole squad spawned on him, armed the B mcom and went to arm the other one (A, next to a container house).

The defenders didn't have time to come back to their base to disarm, and we took the base with more than 50 tickets remaining. No one attempted to disarm because they were all too far away.

After that the attackers couldn't coordinate anymore (they didn't know if they should advance to keep us away, or camp at their base defending the mcoms and wait for us). So we took the last two bases quite easily.

If they didn't spawn rape us at the third set, they had a shot at winning the game as the Tunguska driver was still alive and murdering the noobs, and they had a really good MAV player that spotted (and killed) a lot of people.

KageMaru

In an actual war do you think anyone has a problem at destroying an enemy base to the ground to gain a strategic advantage?

This isn't an actual war, it's a video game.

Also you may find it fun to be spawn raped, but I certainly don't. If spawn camping wasn't a big deal, developers wouldn't have implemented anti-spawn camping counter-measures in other games.

Usually it's not even the people spawn camping that's an issue. Again I understand every one person at our base is one less defending/attacking a COM station or taking a flag point. It's the air vehicles base raping that I find more annoying.

I can see that I'm in the minority when it comes to this though so maybe I should just admit defeat. =p

I was curious to know GAF's opinion and TBH I got what I wanted.

but the first base is off limits. that just means people camp at the out of bounds line instead of inside the enemy base.

JJD

This isn't an actual war, it's a video game.

Also you may find it fun to be spawn raped, but I certainly don't. If spawn camping wasn't a big deal, developers wouldn't have implemented anti-spawn camping counter-measures in other games.

Usually it's not even the people spawn camping that's an issue. Again I understand every one person at our base is one less defending/attacking a COM station or taking a flag point. It's the air vehicles base raping that I find more annoying.

I can see that I'm in the minority when it comes to this though so maybe I should just admit defeat. =p

I was curious to know GAF's opinion and TBH I got what I wanted.

But just like a war, almost no one plays to lose. Everybody wants to win.

And you're kinda missing the point my friend . What I tried to say is that spawn rape is nothing more than a strategy to win the game, and that strategy can be easily countered. If your team is getting raped, go recon, use the beacon and sneak past then. It's not that hard on most maps. And it may be an easy way to score a victory.

How many times a defending team is almost winning the game, decides to push forward and corner the enemy to guarantee the victory, just see a lone enemy player hiding at their base arming the objectives while his squad mates spawn on him? Every one here has lost that kind of game a couple times...

Evolved1

The funny thing is that span camping is almost completely gone when compared to BC2... almost every BC2 conquest round ended in spawn punishment. Here in BF3 it's pretty rare. Most common on maps with across-water insertions.

Or some of the new B2K conquest maps... because of that stupid conquest assault game mode. (Have I posted yet about how retarded this game mode is?)

i don't use the taclight, but that's just because it seems like it does nothing for me, despite it being super awesome when used against me. frag rounds? i use that! IRNV? i use that!

The funny thing is that span camping is almost completely gone when compared to BC2... almost every BC2 conquest round ended in spawn punishment. Here in BF3 it's pretty rare. Most common on maps with across-water insertions.

Or some of the new B2K conquest maps... because of that stupid conquest assault game mode. (Have I posted yet about how retarded this game mode is?)

can't spawn camp a team that can't spawn! obviously, the solution to end spawn camping is NO UNCAPS!!! Conquest Double Assault for EVERYONE </Oprah>

olimpia84

I think spawn camping is fine and it should not be removed so I pretty much agree with what's already been said about it. I think DICE should allow base camping like they did in BC2 but make the enemy base count as a flag that way once you push your lines all the way into the enemy's base then you win the game and save the other team from their misery. I don't understand why they don't implement this.

Daigoro

i don't use the taclight, but that's just because it seems like it does nothing for me, despite it being super awesome when used against me. frag rounds? i use that! IRNV? i use that!

does the IRNV still work for you? just on certain maps or what?

i couldnt see shit through it since the patch, but i didnt try it on every map. do you have to swap it out depending on what map you are on?

i couldn't see shit through it since the patch, but i didn't try it on every map. do you have to swap it out depending on what map you are on?

It seems to works better on darker levels like Tehran Hwy or the underground section of Metro. I actually had it equipped on my DAO-12 for awhile. Since I hardly need to scope with a shotgun, I use it more as a quick check in darker areas to see if I can pick up anyone that might be hiding or hard to see with the naked eye.

Great final game of Conquest on Sharqi with JJD and Faceless tonight, just the three of us against 5 and we still won. (why doesn't battlelog reflect this? Does it show player count at the start of the match or at the end?) I swear towards the end it was just the 3 of us.

It was a few days, and many drinks ago, but it was on a CQ map that had two jets, an attach chopper, and transport chopper. Sorry I'm horrible with names =/
Gulf of Oman maybe? If you've played a fair bit of BF3 I'm surprised you can't remember the map names though.

On Gulf of Oman if they had a minimum of five guys camping your spawn in air vehicles (two in jets, one in attack chopper, two in transport chopper), and your invulnerable AA turret of death wasn't enough to dissuade them, maybe you should have just left them there and played the rest of the map 12 vs 7. How could you not win with those sort of odds at the only capture points that actually count?

Personally, if I'm in a jet and all of the enemy air vehicles have been destroyed, the first thing I do is head for where their next aerial vehicles are going to spawn. That's where the only threat to me is going to come from, and I need to kill them before they kill me.

Daigoro

It seems to works better on darker levels like Tehran Hwy or the underground section of Metro. I actually had it equipped on my DAO-12 for awhile. Since I hardly need to scope with a shotgun, I use it more as a quick check in darker areas to see if I can pick up anyone that might be hiding or hard to see with the naked eye.

hm. i couldnt see shit with it when i tired it on Gran Bazaar after the patch. some guys were like 15-20 yards in front of me in the alleys and it was all just a gree blur.

i think im just going to have to skip using it. i really dont feeling like swapping scopes per level. swapping equipment is more than enough customizing to do inbetween rounds.

sucks that DICE cant seem to "fix" something without completely breaking it, see: mines. i havent died once to a mine since the patch.

Seanspeed

Banned
It seems to works better on darker levels like Tehran Hwy or the underground section of Metro.
It was crap on Metro when I tried it. You cant see shit out of it for like a whole second and then it hardly seems to actually recognize anyone. I had already stopped using it as I didn't like how my playstyle was affected so much(constantly scoping to look for enemies and whatnot) that it felt good to go back to normal sights and do everything naturally. But its totally useless now it seems. I'm not really complaining, though.

i couldnt see shit through it since the patch, but i didnt try it on every map. do you have to swap it out depending on what map you are on?

doesn't work well on metro/bazaar/damavand/tehran, but does on the B2K maps and other Vanilla maps.

Great final game of Conquest on Sharqi with JJD and Faceless tonight, just the three of us against 5 and we still won. (why doesn't battlelog reflect this? Does it show player count at the start of the match or at the end?) I swear towards the end it was just the 3 of us.

the names in grey didn't complete the match. it was definitely 5 on 3 towards the end.

doesn't work well on metro/bazaar/damavand/tehran, but does on the B2K maps and other Vanilla maps.

After experiencing this, I have to wonder wtf the logic was. The places where it makes sense (smaller infantry based maps with low light), it doesn't work. The large open maps, where you could use the irnv before as an infinite range spotter in full daylight, it works well. Did someone get an opposite memo or something?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
IRNV is pretty much shit now since the nerf. The scope-adjustment isn't bad, but that stupid fog is too close for mid-range engagements. Might as well spray and pray at that point.

Calion

Yeah, well, Calion said he'd be on later... but he isn't. :|

Guess I'll go play MGS3 then.

My bad. I got invited out on a last second plan. :(

I always hate it when we squad up, and without fail, get split up again. :(

You missed out on a few good games Seks. The Christmas noobs still can't fly choppers, drive tanks (I'm getting better at that), or rush any. On Kharg Defense, there were about 3-5 snipers on the ship just sitting back attempting to snipe. Tis fun and good target practice.

Top Bottom