• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

spidye

heavy-desert.jpg

oh wow

Alt-tab out and back again. Sometimes helps.

Or click "disable dpi scaling..." under properties>compatibility for BF3.
THS fixed it for me... Such a pain in the ass.

Other PITA for me is that I've been trying to go through the campaign with an Xbox controller and all the on-screen button prompts still tell me what to press on the keyboard. It's confusing as all hell, and sometimes the equivalent buttons don't even work for the QTEs and I end up dying.

THS fixed it for me... Such a pain in the ass.

Other PITA for me is that I've been trying to go through the campaign with an Xbox controller and all the on-screen button prompts still tell me what to press on the keyboard. It's confusing as all hell, and sometimes the equivalent buttons don't even work for the QTEs and I end up dying.

When I started BF3 on PC (after 800+ hours on 360) I had it in my head to play through the campaign. The first QTE popped up and I said "what the fuck is that" out loud, failed the event, then went to multiplayer. Let the record show that it was a "left mouse button."

Icefire1424

When I started BF3 on PC (after 800+ hours on 360) I had it in my head to play through the campaign. The first QTE popped up and I said "what the fuck is that" out loud, failed the event, then went to multiplayer. Let the record show that it was a "left mouse button."

Yea, I laughed entirely too hard at that. Primarially because I think that was my exact reaction.

Minor QTE Spoiler:
Yup, got killed by the damn rat...

Divius

Haha, I've been using the USAS with slugs which is such a ridiculous but fun weapon to use. Hiphire is absolutely useless, as is the rest of the gun in most situations but getting those 1-2 shot kills feels pretty good.

I love that people call me an USAS noob when it's really quite terrible and totally fair to use on 64p conquest Operation Firestorm.

Divius

Shame the battlereports aren't working, I've been having some crazy good rounds the last few days. 60k points per session, not bad.

I think I may have fallen in love with the KH2002. At first I was using it because I still had unlocks for it, but it's pretty great actually. Shame about the long reload.

Yep, best sound design in any game ever.
Yep! 100%

I think it is going to be VERY hard to come close to even matching this for a while. Some goddam wizards working there...

I have 380+ hours in this game and I still say this to myself from time to time.

I have to agree. I can't think of any game that comes close.

Yikes that's a lot of hours. I'm complete garbage online and daze out by the prettiness too much.

Thrakier

So I just bought a Radeon 7970. It will get here on Wednesday. I will overclock it to 1150/1500 or higher which should put it in line with or a little better than a stock GTX 680. For those of you that have a 7970 or a 680, what kind of performance can I expect in BF3 multiplayer? I'm mainly interested in the performance on the newer maps and at Ultra settings, 1080p with 4xMSAA.

Rest of the system is:

Core i5 2500k @ 4.8ghz
16gbs Corsair Vengeance
RAID 0 SSDs
Win7 64

Thanks!

60FPS.

Divius

BF3EuroGAF come back. I need you.

I'm sick and tired of playing these pubgames with THE dumbest, most mentally challenged playerbase I have ever encountered in online gaming.

I love the game but can't play jet with mouse. I have the Xbox controller that works but it rumble for everything and nothing...

Is there a way to disable it until I pop into a jet or something ?

So if aftermath is set in post-quake Iran, I wonder if end game will be set in Times Square.

Also, going by the trailer there may be a small chance that the map includes an earth quake during the match.

Strike that, I closed the video before the ending. 100% chance of an earth quake during the match.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Battlefield 3: Aftermath Premiere Trailer

not sure why they wouldn't just do another gameplay montage trailer, those seem to work well.

Because we're still more than a month out from the expansion releasing and Medal of Honor releases next week. No need to overshadow their friends at Danger Close. I figure we'll have proper gameplay soon enough, but I liked this little trailer too. Reminded me of the old BFBC2 concept trailers they had. before BC2 came out. It gets the idea of the expansion across very well.

And the Russians, they have FACES! I eagerly await these new cammos since they seem more Apocalypse Now than Tacticool Barbie (not that I don't enjoy dressing up my soldier in garish colors).

Binabik15

Guys, I want to play BF3 and I just joined a game and even managed to kill a few guys and revive some more, BUT

Punkbuster kicked me. IT did that for some time last year, then stoppded, now it looks like it is at it again.

I downloaded PB again, installed it as admin, downloaded the pbsetup files, run them as admin as well, added bf3 and BC2, but when I hit "update" it says update failed after loading for a bit.

Help.

Because we're still more than a month out from the expansion releasing and Medal of Honor releases next week. No need to overshadow their friends at Danger Close. I figure we'll have proper gameplay soon enough, but I liked this little trailer too. Reminded me of the old BFBC2 concept trailers they had. before BC2 came out. It gets the idea of the expansion across very well.

And the Russians, they have FACES! I eagerly await these new cammos since they seem more Apocalypse Now than Tacticool Barbie (not that I don't enjoy dressing up my soldier in garish colors).

the best part of that trailer is the RU team is attacking what looks to be an early version of the RU base at Atacama Desert

hellclerk

the best part of that trailer is the RU team is attacking what looks to be an early version of the RU base at Atacama Desert

Or this E3 2009 trailer where they have CAS from A-10s and the assault has the paddles. Hell, White Pass (which is what that map is) didn't get Rush until the fifth map pack! The point of the Aftermath trailer wasn't the same as the other expansions because the aesthetic of the map isn't based on tight quarters with a bunch going on (Close Quarters) or fuckhuge maps with heavy armored gameplay like in AK. In fact, I don't think that these maps can really be given justice with the sort of vista shots that AK got. These seem to be more labyrinths of urban rubble, so the only real way to get ahold of the maps is to be on the ground level and dig through them. I expect at least Sharqi/Karkand size and complexity with probably more than a few excellent instances of vertical gameplay and interiors that could be their own CQ maps. Scavenger looks like a great change of pace too, though I hope I can choose my own handgun. I get the idea of needing to command weapons resources, but I don't wanna be TOTALLY outclassed by some lucky SOB who found an M60 or something.

Looks like some of the soldiers were shooting left handed.
geSRc.jpg

aOQof.jpg

I wonder if this will be a new option for players, or has it always been like this and I just never noticed before?
Either way, it would be only beneficial if we had a "lean" function.

No, the whole thing was mocapped and isn't recorded gameplay at all.

xclaw

Looks like some of the soldiers were shooting left handed.
geSRc.jpg

aOQof.jpg

I wonder if this will be a new option for players, or has it always been like this and I just never noticed before?
Either way, it would be only beneficial if we had a "lean" function.

Lefthanded shooting would make my brain so happy. Being lefthanded I have to actually focus on ignoring the location of the weapon on the screen.

hellclerk

No, the whole thing was mocapped and isn't recorded gameplay at all.
Nope. This was all done using previously existing assets. You can tell by how janky some of the animations are. Play the single-player game and You'll see pretty much every animation seen here in that game.

Personally, I'd LOVE to see a "left-hand mode". Even barring the issues of reanimating reloads for south-paw, it would just be pretty cool to see in game, what with watching the action of the bolt and all that.

Still, that said, it's highly unlikely. In the video, the engineer and the recon were both handling their weapons in their right hand most of the time. The sudden bout of left hand had to do with cover. I'd have to check to be sure, but like in normal military forces, the AI in the campaign switch what hand their firing their weapon in depending on cover. The technique is to improve handling around corners and show as little of the body as possible, and if you noticed, both the engineer and recon were behind "left handed" cover, so sadly, I don't think we're going to be getting that left-handed mode.

Nope. This was all done using previously existing assets. You can tell by how janky some of the animations are. Play the single-player game and You'll see pretty much every animation seen here in that game.

Personally, I'd LOVE to see a "left-hand mode". Even barring the issues of reanimating reloads for south-paw, it would just be pretty cool to see in game, what with watching the action of the bolt and all that.

Still, that said, it's highly unlikely. In the video, the engineer and the recon were both handling their weapons in their right hand most of the time. The sudden bout of left hand had to do with cover. I'd have to check to be sure, but like in normal military forces, the AI in the campaign switch what hand their firing their weapon in depending on cover. The technique is to improve handling around corners and show as little of the body as possible, and if you noticed, both the engineer and recon were behind "left handed" cover, so sadly, I don't think we're going to be getting that left-handed mode.

Stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcO5ajxGenc#t=0m56

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcO5ajxGenc#t=1m12

Is totally mocapped, you will never see that in multiplayer which is why the left handed people chars here means nothing

hellclerk

Stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcO5ajxGenc#0m56

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcO5ajxGenc#1m12

Is totally mocapped, you will never see that in multiplayer which is why the left handed people chars here means nothing

You just posted the Aftermath trailer twice. And yes, many of the initial animation elements are mocapped, that's true, but they're part of a greater animation system. That sequence was not mocapped through and through, however. There were some parts that were algorithm generated, others that were amalgamations of previously capped or hand-made animations. It's part of the animation system they use, and you can see alot of it in multiplayer, which is why it all looks so good in motion. It's more like a synthesizer except instead of music samples to recreate a live orchestra, you're putting together animation samples to recreate a full motion capture in situations too dynamic to really pull it off. You're right though, it could totally mean nothing. Still doesn't hurt too much to hope, even as a righty myself.

You just posted the Aftermath trailer twice. And yes, many of the initial animation elements are mocapped, that's true, but they're part of a greater animation system. That sequence was not mocapped through and through, however. There were some parts that were algorithm generated, others that were amalgamations of previously capped or hand-made animations. It's part of the animation system they use, and you can see alot of it in multiplayer, which is why it all looks so good in motion. It's more like a synthesizer except instead of music samples to recreate a live orchestra, you're putting together animation samples to recreate a full motion capture in situations too dynamic to really pull it off. You're right though, it could totally mean nothing. Still doesn't hurt too much to hope, even as a righty myself.

Fixed the time stamps.

That trailer you posted simply shows the in game animation system, but that doesn't mean they still don't do full on motion capped animation sets for certain scenes, because they do. And it's pretty obvious through out the single player campaign, and this trailer.

If it was just mocap to transfor into ingame animation they wouldn't need "“male actors with strong acting ability and credits in Film, TV and Theatre,”" for their motion capture.

hellclerk

Fixed the time stamps.

That trailer you posted simply shows the in game animation system, but that doesn't mean they still don't do full on motion capped animation sets for certain scenes, because they do. And it's pretty obvious through out the single player campaign, and this trailer.

If it was just mocap to transfor into ingame animation they wouldn't need "“male actors with strong acting ability and credits in Film, TV and Theatre,”" for their motion capture.

Well that certainly wasn't anything for this trailer. I remember EXACTLY where that first animation came from. It was a part of the whole sniper in the hotel sequence early in the game. The second one can easily be recreated using the previously mentioned animation tools using headtracking and some manual adjustments.

Keep in mind, I'm not disagreeing with you on the whole left-handed thing, but all of this was created with pre-existing system and assets. There's nothing new or especially mo-capped about this.

Top Bottom