• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

Vossler

Finally bought premium, and will be gearing up for some action this weekend. Can someone kindly point me to where I can signup with the GAF crew?

Mikeside

I'm going to be playing Battlefield 3 on PC as part of my 24hour game-a-thon for Extra Life tomorrow.

Who would be interested in joining me to get a match going? Would probably be more fun with people interested, rather than just joining a random server.

Drop me a PM if you want to play and we can work out times. I'm thinking 10AM BST

Martian

I cant seem to join any game.

Everytime I connect, I go to the game (doesn't load or anything, just fullscreen pre-loading)

then it quits itself, and says: Can't join game; something went wrong.

I tried it with Chrome and Firefox.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

scogoth

I cant seem to join any game.

Everytime I connect, I go to the game (doesn't load or anything, just fullscreen pre-loading)

then it quits itself, and says: Can't join game; something went wrong.

I tried it with Chrome and Firefox.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Repair install in origin

Nope. This was all done using previously existing assets. You can tell by how janky some of the animations are. Play the single-player game and You'll see pretty much every animation seen here in that game.

Personally, I'd LOVE to see a "left-hand mode". Even barring the issues of reanimating reloads for south-paw, it would just be pretty cool to see in game, what with watching the action of the bolt and all that.

Still, that said, it's highly unlikely. In the video, the engineer and the recon were both handling their weapons in their right hand most of the time. The sudden bout of left hand had to do with cover. I'd have to check to be sure, but like in normal military forces, the AI in the campaign switch what hand their firing their weapon in depending on cover. The technique is to improve handling around corners and show as little of the body as possible, and if you noticed, both the engineer and recon were behind "left handed" cover, so sadly, I don't think we're going to be getting that left-handed mode.

Easy and lazy way would be to mirror animations

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Easy and lazy way would be to mirror animations

That doesn't work 90% of the time. Remember, the weapon receiver typically interfaces on the right side of the gun, so ratcheting the bolt for the full reload of the AK-74M or M39 would require a new animation to take into account the other side of the weapon. Then there's the issue of the belt fed machine guns, which feed bullets from a very specific direction which will change that animation. there are just alot of problems with re-animating the reloads and then timing them properly. It's a bunch of work that I don't think DICE is really too hot to do. Send them an email or a twit to do it for BF4, but BF3 I think will remain as is.

jediyoshi

That doesn't work 90% of the time. Remember, the weapon receiver typically interfaces on the right side of the gun, so ratcheting the bolt for the full reload of the AK-74M or M39 would require a new animation to take into account the other side of the weapon. Then there's the issue of the belt fed machine guns, which feed bullets from a very specific direction which will change that animation. there are just alot of problems with re-animating the reloads and then timing them properly. It's a bunch of work that I don't think DICE is really too hot to do. Send them an email or a twit to do it for BF4, but BF3 I think will remain as is.

Hence why it would be the lazy way, counter strike is the only game I can think of that has that option and it does just mirror animations.

KingKong

I think CQ is the most fun I've had with Battlefield 3, but maybe that's because I was playing on total mayhem 64 player servers where the average game lasted 10 minutes and I got 15 medals and levelled up crazy fast. Gungame is really fun too

AK is meh, but the maps look very beautiful

KingKong

oh yeah and who came up with the premium assignments?

grind out 100 kills with a subpar weapon, fine, but the second tier assignment is grinding out another 100 kills and the reward is camo that only works for that gun?

scogoth

grind out 100 kills with a subpar weapon, fine, but the second tier assignment is grinding out another 100 kills and the reward is camo that only works for that gun?
Or just say who cares and continue playing

I've spent maybe an hour trying to get a single EOD Bot kill. I'm sure my teams appreciated all the help and contribution I was giving by driving that that thing.

Hejdlond

I've completed all the previous assignments, but I doubt I'll ever bother with some of the latest like getting mortar kills.

I've uploaded another episode of the misadventures of FAC (Friends Are Collateral). Mostly weird or fun with some crazy close quarters clips showcasing how "good" suppression and DICE's hit detection can work together sometimes.

ibJcvR3YdqZZp.gif

Episode 11 - Permission to land

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
with some crazy close quarters clips showcasing how "good" suppression and DICE's hit detection can work together sometimes.

Suppression needs to die in a hole already...

I can understand making it a bit harder to see but making aim completely random? Fuck no.

So sick of putting 20+ rounds directly towards a sniper and they just magically 1 shot me while even having a single pistol shot fired at me 10 seconds ago makes it near impossible to hit shots...

Divius

The entire mechanics of suppression are just weird. I understand my vision going blurry/shaking or whatever, but when I'm on target, I'm on target. People shooting at me should not make my gun less accurate.

The entire mechanics of suppression are just weird. I understand my vision going blurry/shaking or whatever, but when I'm on target, I'm on target. People shooting at me should not make my gun less accurate.
The suppression mechanics make sense. It's the reaction of gamers that makes no sense. People shooting back when the proper logical move is to take cover. The solution is far from ideal and they can do a lot more to improve on the mechanics and results, but the idea is great.

If developers want players to take cover instead of returning fire, they (developers) should find a way to make a player's life seem more precious. Increasing respawn times would do this.

Suppression as it's currently implemented feels like an artificial layer between me and the game. When some yahoo is spraying LMG fire at me from 200m and not hitting, my scoped accuracy should not change. Steely nerves, son.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sway isn't going to stop decent snipers from putting bullets through people at range. If someone is heavily suppressed and they're still able to pop up and shoot you in the face from a distance then it's a worthless mechanic. Worse than worthless, because you're making yourself a big, loud target while you're suppressing.

Sway isn't going to stop decent snipers from putting bullets through people at range. If someone is heavily suppressed and they're still able to pop up and shoot you in the face from a distance then it's a worthless mechanic. Worse than worthless, because you're making yourself a big, loud target while you're suppressing.

Apparently there is a mechanic where if you are being suppressed, even if you are accurate and land your shots - your shorts deliberately wont register. I can see why they did it, but I think its ultimately taking away from the game to have a mechanic like that in there.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Apparently there is a mechanic where if you are being suppressed, even if you are accurate and land your shots - your shorts deliberately wont register. I can see why they did it, but I think its ultimately taking away from the game to have a mechanic like that in there.
The worst case scenario for the suppression mechanic is if you can't effectively use it in the way that it's intended (providing covering fire for movement). With that in mind, it might be better if suppression was more difficult to trigger. It's really something that should require some heavy fire to pull off.

No one really uses it properly as it is now, so DICE may have to go back to the drawing board for BF4. Maybe there's not enough feedback to the player for when they're properly suppressing or when they're being pinned down.

Donos

The worst case scenario for the suppression mechanic is if you can't effectively use it in the way that it's intended (providing covering fire for movement). With that in mind, it might be better if suppression was more difficult to trigger. It's really something that should require some heavy fire to pull off.

No one really uses it properly as it is now, so DICE may have to go back to the drawing board for BF4. Maybe there's not enough feedback to the player for when they're properly suppressing or when they're being pinned down.

What do you mean with that?
The last match on Caspian my team had A and E and was fighting for C and D. I laid (with bipod) on the hill with the stones between A and C and suppressed / spotted / killed the other team spawning at D and C to no end while my team got the caps back (or at least tried). Got over a dozen suppression assists and some kills.
Why be on the recieving end if you can be on the giving one :).

But i agree that it could be different or toned down a tiny bit.

If developers want players to take cover instead of returning fire, they (developers) should find a way to make a player's life seem more precious. Increasing respawn times would do this.

Suppression as it's currently implemented feels like an artificial layer between me and the game. When some yahoo is spraying LMG fire at me from 200m and not hitting, my scoped accuracy should not change. Steely nerves, son.
Increased respawn time would completely alter the flow of the game. And yeah, everyonen thinks they're the one that won't die, just like they've got nerves of steel and can hit an awesome shot while under fire. the game mechanic exists to modify behavior from superman to man.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
the game mechanic exists to modify behavior from superman to man.

They only exist to bring in more BS randomness.

Fact is when I am laying heavy down on some random kid, they will pop up, start taking damage yet still just pull a headshot out of their arse.

I cannot have a single pistol bullet miss me by 10 feet and have any sort of accuracy.

As I said, it's fine if it makes it harder to see, hell, even a little harder to actually aim but making it pure chance on whether the bullet hits or not? No, fuck that shit.

hellclerk

Fact is when I am laying heavy down on some random kid, they will pop up, start taking damage yet still just pull a headshot out of their arse.

I cannot have a single pistol bullet miss me by 10 feet and have any sort of accuracy.

As I said, it's fine if it makes it harder to see, hell, even a little harder to actually aim but making it pure chance on whether the bullet hits or not? No, fuck that shit.

Randomness? How so? Suppression has a predictable and measurable effect. Now the affect, that's something different, but on the whole, it's a fantastic mechanic to leverage your advantage. You see, BF3 isn't a game of narrow shootouts and 1v1 skill. It's a game of leveraging every advantage you can manage against your opponents. It's a grand and dynamic game of rock-paper-scissors down to its core. It's moving around, it's flanking, it's getting the high ground, it's about hopping into a vehicle and then shitting on everything infantry your new cannon can reach. People say that gunfights in BF3 are unbalanced because "suppression".

Well guess what chicken butt, of COURSE they are. You think you can hit a target with the AEK like you can with the L85? Please, I countersnipe with the L85. What about a shotgun to the face? Sad that it's a one hit kill, right? So unfair, right? Sure makes things harder for him if you keep your distance when possible though. Oh no! That Support with the M60 is suppressing me! I can't see shit captain!! All those bullets are making me inaccurate! So unfair. Get the fuck out of there and flank around cover until you have a clear shot without being in his line of fire, moron. If you can't without getting hit, then why don't you return suppressing fire? Or throw a grenade to obscure his line of sight. And if you're totally pinned down, guess what? That's your fault for making such a bad choice of cover and movement. Sometimes, shit like that happens. What you do is you deal and move on. I hate people unjustly claiming that the game is somehow less because you're not always in the ideal position to make the the perfect 360noscopeheadshot. An exaggeration, but you get the idea. If you can't beat it, join it. Why not use suppression to your advantage like all of those allegedly "less skilled" players who are throwing off your bullets? It works for them, it works for you. Man up and work with it, not against it.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Randomness? How so? Suppression has a predictable and measurable effect.
The measurable effect of making your shots hitting a pure chance.

Why not use suppression to your advantage like all of those allegedly "less skilled" players who are throwing off your bullets? It works for them, it works for you. Man up and work with it, not against it.

lol... As I already said, I can put 20 rounds down range at some random kid and he will still kill me as though he has perfect accuracy. Why? Because of bullshit randomness.

If suppression worked as intended and 100% of the time, fine. I know if I suppress my enemy I am safe to move up. As it sits right now, this isn't true. No matter how suppressed you get someone (10+ semi auto sniper shots for example) they can still kill you as if they have a magical immunity to the effects of suppression.

Be better at the game, kill them before they even have a chance to suppress you. Stop playing metro.

This isn't directed at me is it?

Colonel 46
Most used weapon: KH2002
K/D: 2.96 climbing fast.
W/L: 2.89 extremely rarely playing in anything more than a squad of 2.
SPM: 835 and rising
"Skill": 729.9 (no idea what this even means.)

Facism

So many times i've suppressed a sniper only to have him headshot me anyway. The mechanic felt more useful in the beta.

hellclerk

lol... As I already said, I can put 20 rounds down range at some random kid and he will still kill me as though he has perfect accuracy. Why? Because of bullshit randomness.

If suppression worked as intended and 100% of the time, fine. I know if I suppress my enemy I am safe to move up. As it sits right now, this isn't true. No matter how suppressed you get someone (10+ semi auto sniper shots for example) they can still kill you as if they have a magical immunity to the effects of suppression.
So what you're implying is... You are the only person who is effected by suppression. It's only you that can't seem to hit shit when you're suppressed while everyone else is Der Ubermensch and therefore it's CLEARLY unfair. It has nothing to do with your playing ability and how well you can adapt to new conditions.

I'm sorry, I have clearly made a mistake. It is not you who is to blame, it's the game! And all of those pesky people who the game likes better! It has nothing to do with the already built in systems of ADS spread and recoil patterns & modifiers of which we should be well acquainted by now. Zero to do with the use of cover and short bursts of fire to effectively engage targets where hipfire would be impractical, of which we all are so clearly so perfectly aligned. No, it's that stupid suppression, which you must be able to power through like Rambo to make the perfect shot right when you need it, and then use it to your advantage so only their bullets have greater spread.

I truly am sorry, oh master of Battlefield. I am unworthy of your leet haxxor skillz and am in awe of your righteous indignation against DICE, who create evil and nasty games not likened to exactly your preferences.
I can go on. Shall I? Or is the sarcasm too evident?

Donos

You only have your handgun at the start (spawn?) and all weapons you can pickup have only small amount of ammo. Hmm this could be nice

indeed, fuck other solutions like teamwork, flanking, etc... i should just be able to bust caps in dat ass from right here because i am bfallah!!!

Binabik15

Does someone want to be my Euro Rush buddy?

I loved rushing the shit out of m-com ins BC2, but in BF3 most of my Rush games suck AND I'm on the loser side.

Why is it that I try to takedown a guy, he turns around, I slash at him half a dozen times and he doesn't die, shoots at my legs to no avail and then finishs me off with HIS knife?!

I just played TDM, just to test the PKP. Sooo much epic shit in that two rounds. Normally I don't care for pure killing games, but especially the last one was a nail biter, with the other team suddenly going past us in kills, then an incredibly tense time when we we're both close to the max, me almost dying under sniper fire, but killing a guy running past me (suppressed), laying into people with the first LMG I'm good at killing with, knifing the one guy who always kept killing me (but noone else, judging by his K/D and the kills he did on ME) several times but not killing him(?), shooting the sniper from the warehouse roof on Kharg SEVERAL times with my LMG. Hawt.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
indeed, fuck other solutions like teamwork, flanking, etc... i should just be able to bust caps in dat ass from right here because i am bfallah!!!

lol...

Why should the whole system be based on a random chance?

Why shouldn't I know if I aim properly I will or won't get the kill?

Why shouldn't I know if I suppress someone I am safe or not to move up or leave cover so I can flank?

It is bullshit randomness, nothing more.

Top Bottom