• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Best in the business? lol dice hit detection is laughable, getting shot, run for cover, 2 seconds later even though am behind a fucking wall bullets are still hitting me, dice hit detection=shit.....and please don't tell me that's lag, I ping 7 on my fav server.....

unless your claim is that people are shooting you thru walls, nothing you said has to do with hit detection... maybe you don't like their motion compensation/prediction?

It's got to do with the particular brand of hit detection: client side. Basically what happens is that what you see on screen and shoot at will be translated to the server, and basically that means that due to latency, the guy you're shooting at is actually ahead of where you see him. However, because there's CLIENT side hit detection, the server takes your data largely to heart and even though that guy you just downed thought he was behind the crate, you saw that he died a good meter from cover. As you can imagine, increased latency compounds on this. It also works both ways, as shooting at someone with high latency will have the same effect as someone with high latency shooting at you. The only actual advantage you would have with a low ping relative to your target would be in a one-on-one firefight. Because your kill data gets to the server before theirs, their death is registered first.

This has a number of advantages and disadvantages, from allowing a smooth game experience even when you're playing oversees servers (like I recently have been with some people who actually try and get mumble chat going) to removing most of the major advantages to playing a local server. I won't really go into the nitty-gritty, but be wary: the only way to guarantee you won't die after making it behind cover is for everyone in the server (and I mean everyone) to have a low ping.

But, so you know, it's not the hit detection. That's actually much, much improved over BC2.

Overdoziz

Banned
So many times I've been killed right after going prone behind cover. Sometimes more than a second after doing so. Quite annoying to say the least.

abracadaver

Are there no official servers on PC ??

I dont want to play the same map over and over again.
I dont want to play forever lasting games with 300% tickets.

Im looking for 64 player server with all maps in cycle and normal rules.

Use filters, then choose a server with the amount of tickets you want.

Nabs

Good luck finding one.

I'm in Jersey, and I set my server preference for NA and SA. For some reason, I get a sub-10 ping for servers in Brazil . . . for some reason, I think they're hosted in NYC.

Kibbles

Ok so I try to join a MP game but after like 5-10 seconds it freezes my computer. Every single game I try to join, I reset my computer a ton of times already.

hellclerk

Ok so I try to join a MP game but after like 5-10 seconds it freezes my computer. Every single game I try to join, I reset my computer a ton of times already.
What're your system specs? Might be a conflicting software if it's not your hardware giving out.

Kibbles

What're your system specs? Might be a conflicting software if it's not your hardware giving out.

Intel Core i5-2320 3.00GHz
Sapphire Raedon 7850 OC
8GB RAM

edit: nvm I found out it's only when I overclock, and it does it to every game when I try and overclock. Sucks because I have the same system as someone else and he can overclock just fine without an impact on the system.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sapphire Raedon 7850 OC
8GB RAM

edit: nvm I found out it's only when I overclock, and it does it to every game when I try and overclock. Sucks because I have the same system as someone else and he can overclock just fine without an impact on the system.
You have that Alienware X51, right? I keep saying that you guys are pushing that underpowered PSU to the limit. Power usage will go way up when you OC, and system stability will go way down.

hellclerk

Sapphire Raedon 7850 OC
8GB RAM

Pretty much what Sapientwolf said. If you're trying to overclock on a PSU 500 watts or under, much less with a modern, high end card, I run the most efficient parts I can in my rig, and it's all because I have a measley 300 watt PSU (madness, I know, but I get by... somehow...). For this reason, when I look at the AMD OC application, I laugh to myself a little because there's no chance in hell I'm going to be able to power that. If you can't power your system, it locks up because it's trying to do more than what it has power for and panics, so turn of your OC utility and try again.

Finally got a stationary emplacement ribbon blowing up a tank in Firestorm. The whole 3 man crew. I'm glad those things are so powerful. Otherwise, I wouldn't even see the point to having them in there. Either way, that makes every ribbon acquired at least once. :D

Kibbles

You have that Alienware X51, right? I keep saying that you guys are pushing that underpowered PSU to the limit. Power usage will go way up when you OC, and system stability will go way down.

Yeah, other people have been overclocking fine with the same card and system :(
edit: I just realized one of the guys has the i7 model. What? I purposely got the i5 assuming it would consume less power and because i7 doesn't do much for gaming. I do have the 330w PSU, the highest you can get. I don't know how he is doing it, and with the i7 version too. Oh well the game still runs great on Ultra with SMAA for me.

hellclerk

Yeah, other people have been overclocking fine with the same card and system :(
edit: I just realized one of the guys has the i7 model. What? I purposely got the i5 assuming it would consume less power and because i7 doesn't do much for gaming. I do have the 330w PSU, the highest you can get. I don't know how he is doing it, and with the i7 version too. Oh well the game still runs great on Ultra with SMAA for me.
Yeah, that 330w PSU is NOT going to let you overclock. There's a chance that the other guy got a bigger PSU, or even that his CPU is lower wattage (more likely the former), and we're not evaluating their systems either. That 330w PSU isn't going to do you much of anything. Switch it out with something at least 450+, and you'll have a slight bit more headroom to do that sort of thing.

Divius

Had a fun moment yesterday: Was practicing with TV missiles on Kharg, taking out tanks but especially aiming for helicopters, so to improve my aim. I took the enemy attackchopper out twice already and when I was out in the field killing infantry I saw it was up again. I shot the TV and apparently the enemy pilot saw it coming because he banked and nosedived like crazy...right into the fully filled Z-11W with both crashing and killing 6 people in total. lol.

edit: Gave the P90 a try, really like it for my run and gun gameplay (I'm always rushing head first into enemy territory), that compliments my playstyle very much. At longer range I feel absolutely useless though. (I know its a CQC wpn)

Divius

Double XP weekend for PC is currently on.

Although the weather is super nice I played a bit and got 125k pts in a single round! good stuff.

Kibbles

Yeah, that 330w PSU is NOT going to let you overclock. There's a chance that the other guy got a bigger PSU, or even that his CPU is lower wattage (more likely the former), and we're not evaluating their systems either. That 330w PSU isn't going to do you much of anything. Switch it out with something at least 450+, and you'll have a slight bit more headroom to do that sort of thing.
According to the x51 thread there is plenty of headroom, and the OP has the 7870 which is bigger and takes more power than my card....

LEGGZZZZ

Sooo I finally have enough money for a gaming pc, for those who have played, how big of a difference is the pc version of battlefield 3 compared to the console version? 64 player conquest vs 24 player? 32 player rush? Does it feel more "epic" and like a warzone in comparison? I just want to know what I could be looking forward to, especially if it's almost a entirely different game on pc.

Divius

Whats the best weapon AK74, FAMAS, MK416 or AEK-971 ?
AK74 for medium-long range, because of the low RPM, AEK for close-medium range because of high RPM.

Sooo I finally have enough money for a gaming pc, for those who have played, how big of a difference is the pc version of battlefield 3 compared to the console version? 64 player conquest vs 24 player? 32 player rush? Does it feel more "epic" and like a warzone in comparison? I just want to know what I could be looking forward to, especially if it's almost a entirely different game on pc.
Yes, yes and yes. I can't even imagine Battlefield with less than 64 people.

LEGGZZZZ

AK74 for medium-long range, because of the low RPM, AEK for close-medium range because of high RPM.

Yes, yes and yes. I can't even imagine Battlefield with less than 64 people.

Damn, I've been playing the inferior version, but still enjoying it, can't even imagine playing a 64 player server :). Time to visit the pc thread...

MrBig

It's so easy to out maneuver them now in a plane. Heli you just need a good gunner.

I really miss being able to outmaneuver a heat seeker with a jet. I don't understand why they nerfed that ability, as it is a real world tactic. Heli I'm fine with ECM as long as 3+ stingers aren't working together. I won't be playing the PC version until I get my new monitor in a week or so though :( (and pay for BF3 again)

It's going to be fun ranking up again, I got stuck in my ways with my 360 soldier. P90+MG36 was pretty much all I used.

I really miss being able to outmaneuver a heat seeker with a jet. I don't understand why they nerfed that ability, as it is a real world tactic. Heli I'm fine with ECM as long as 3+ stingers aren't working together. I won't be playing the PC version until I get my new monitor in a week or so though :( (and pay for BF3 again)

It's going to be fun ranking up again, I got stuck in my ways with my 360 soldier. P90+MG36 was pretty much all I used.

I dunno about the 360 version, but on the PC you CAN outmaneuver them now, it was made easier after the last patch.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

They didn't nerf the ability to outmaneuver heat seekers. They fixed a hilarious bug that made heat seekers useless against jets.

JonCha

Bought the game for PC today, and got back in the house with the game on 10GB through the GamePlanet downloader. Now is downloading the final 8% suuuper slowly, despite my connection performing as fast as ever. Don't get why it's going slow, but it's definitely the program's fault and not mine.

Bought the game for PC today, and got back in the house with the game on 10GB through the GamePlanet downloader. Now is downloading the final 8% suuuper slowly, despite my connection performing as fast as ever. Don't get why it's going slow, but it's definitely the program's fault and not mine.

What the hell is GamePlanet? Just put the key into Origin and it'll download from EA's servers. I get around 7-8MB/s on Origin, so speed won't be an issue.

MrBig

They didn't nerf the ability to outmaneuver heat seekers. They fixed a hilarious bug that made heat seekers useless against jets.

I don't know what the situation was on PC, but on 360 you could bank and spiral into the same direction that the missile was fired from (so you had to know that) and then you had a small chance of it missing you. It was fun, and a way to avoid barrages of op stingers pre-patch, and it was something that only a small amount of people knew about or put into practice. I don't see how it can be considered a bug since it was all happening within game parameters. Also, post-patch, DICE made it even worse than just not being able to outmaneuver the missile, but now flares only distract an incoming seeker maybe 75% of the time as opposed to working as they should.

JonCha

What the hell is GamePlanet? Just put the key into Origin and it'll download from EA's servers. I get around 7-8MB/s on Origin, so speed won't be an issue.

It's an online retailer for buying PC games.

And it's working in Origin, but I've got to start from 0% despite having most of the files installed. Is there no way to get those files over to Origin to speed up the process?

It's an online retailer for buying PC games.

And it's working in Origin, but I've got to start from 0% despite having most of the files installed. Is there no way to get those files over to Origin to speed up the process?

If you move the files into the Origin folder then they should be detected once you restart Origin. This works for Steam and I believe Origin too.

Easiest way to avoid a Stinger or heat-seeker is to turn around back towards it, but keep it at a 45 degree angle away from your jet. Works a good 90 percent of the time.

No need for thanks for that protip, I know you appreciate me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What is going on with the optimization of this game? Is no one working on supporting this? When B2K came out, I went from getting 50-60fps at 1080p with max settings to getting 20~fps all the time. I booted the game up today because I have been wanting to play lately and I'm getting even WORSE performance now. At 70p and medium settings I'm here with 10~fps. I can't even play the game anymore!

What is going on with the optimization of this game? Is no one working on supporting this? When B2K came out, I went from getting 50-60fps at 1080p with max settings to getting 20~fps all the time. I booted the game up today because I have been wanting to play lately and I'm getting even WORSE performance now. At 70p and medium settings I'm here with 10~fps. I can't even play the game anymore!

That's odd. I remember most people had vastly improved framerates and load times on B2K maps, myself included. I will admit that performance can be very erratic, and I'm never fully confident in the performance.

Binabik15

Now that I have a really fast internet connection I will try this again. Maybe I'll like it more when I don't start firing on screen long after pressing M1. Maybe not. Rush never felt as exciting as it did in BC2 and destroying m-coms is the best thing in those games for me.

Is it still going strong? I checked servers last week to marvel at my <4 MS pings and most were really empty. Might've been the time of day, though. Support is cool or are engineers still such annoying killing machines that rack up points like crazy?

Divius

I've applied, thanks. My name is itsjoncharles.

And a dedicated GAF server? Awesome.
Great, hope to see you soon :D (also sent a friendrequest)

And no, the EU server is unfortunately dead (RIP my old friend) simply because not enough people were playing on it. I think there are US based GAF servers though, but it all depends on ping if they are playable for us.

JonCha

Great, hope to see you soon :D (also sent a friendrequest)

And no, the EU server is unfortunately dead (RIP my old friend) simply because not enough people were playing on it. I think there are US based GAF servers though, but it all depends on ping if they are playable for us.

Playing console games with US players isn't terrible. Don't see why this would be any different.

And this is literally the first PC FPS I've played, so as you can imagine I sucked at the beginning. Playing the campaign through and getting into the game now, even sniping. Everything's much more twitchy.

kuYuri

Core 2 Quad Q9505 2.83 GHz
4GB RAM
GTX 560 Ti

Any reason why I'm getting loading times of 1+ minute every time I join an MP game?

Top Bottom