• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT2| Mine! RendeZook! Wa Isl!

D_Star

Neo Member
Because the standard maps themselves consist of nothing more than references to resources of which the maps are built from. That's why the standard maps are only like 7 MB in size.

In comparison, the B2K maps are like 700 MB in size and have most of the meshes and resources enclosed in the same file.

In other words: join the club. It's the same for everyone.

I've heard rumors of loading performance being better when the game is installed on an SSD, combined with loads of RAM.

Found this on some forum a while ago:

1. If your RAM is 4GB or below you will have really long loading times, bumping up to 8GB should improve it alot. But you said your loading times were fine before so i dont think this is the case.

2. Your harddrive is probably fragmented crazy, a messy harddrive will decrease loading times because it becomes harder to find the files. Fragment your harddrive and see if that improves it.

3. If you're on a 64-bit operating system, there was a bug in the registry that caused long loading times. The fix was this

" Open / Run regedit.

Navigate to: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WoW6432Node/EA Games

Change the GDFBinary & InstallDir paths to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3"

And I'd add to this that you should disable cloud saving in Origin.

For me the one that made the biggest difference was going from 4GB to 8GB RAM, don't know why that works, but it did.

Seanspeed

Banned
Support is cool or are engineers still such annoying killing machines that rack up points like crazy?
Support's definitely become more useable, although I think most people would still agree that Engineers are the best all-round class. The gun balancing has helped a lot.

Linch

Neo Member
The PC Performance thread seems pretty vacant at the moment but I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could offer any advice for me for my problem in this thread.

I was able to play the singleplayer game completely fine, running on high/ultra.

However I get BSOD when I play multiplayer, ever since day one. I can play maybe 10 mins, maybe 3 hours, but it WILL happen.

I have made many changes to my computer in the attempt to stop this. Including changing my GPU (as it was dying, as problems occured in other games), installing a Creative sound card, doing many driver updates, driver cleaning, defrags, disk cleanups etc.

My system specs:

Windows 7 64bit.
Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo.
Radeon Hd 6870 1GB
4GB DDR2 RAM
Intel Q6600 @ 3.0GHZ

Now I know what people will say "Take off the overclocks and try" I have done this and it provided no resolution to the problem.

I have heard that my motherboard may be the problem, as it uses Realtek Audio and that can clash with Punkbuster, however I have disabled the onboard sound in BIOS, removed all drivers and tried installing an old Creative sound card running KX Audio drivers, and now I have plugged the PC into my TV and i'm running audio through my GPU by HDMI.

I still get the problem of a BSOD though. Code 124 I think it was. I'm at the end of my tether with this, I love the game, but I am unable to play it ever since launch day.

I also tried a solution involving Windows Powershell, reinstalling Punkbuster etc that I found on the EA forums, no luck.

Any help is massively appreciated.

Thanks.

Spazo

The PC Performance thread seems pretty vacant at the moment but I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could offer any advice for me for my problem in this thread.

I was able to play the singleplayer game completely fine, running on high/ultra.

However I get BSOD when I play multiplayer, ever since day one. I can play maybe 10 mins, maybe 3 hours, but it WILL happen.

I have made many changes to my computer in the attempt to stop this. Including changing my GPU (as it was dying, as problems occured in other games), installing a Creative sound card, doing many driver updates, driver cleaning, defrags, disk cleanups etc.

My system specs:

Windows 7 64bit.
Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo.
Radeon Hd 6870 1GB
4GB DDR2 RAM
Intel Q6600 @ 3.0GHZ

Now I know what people will say "Take off the overclocks and try" I have done this and it provided no resolution to the problem.

I have heard that my motherboard may be the problem, as it uses Realtek Audio and that can clash with Punkbuster, however I have disabled the onboard sound in BIOS, removed all drivers and tried installing an old Creative sound card running KX Audio drivers, and now I have plugged the PC into my TV and i'm running audio through my GPU by HDMI.

I still get the problem of a BSOD though. Code 124 I think it was. I'm at the end of my tether with this, I love the game, but I am unable to play it ever since launch day.

I also tried a solution involving Windows Powershell, reinstalling Punkbuster etc that I found on the EA forums, no luck.

Any help is massively appreciated.

Thanks.

We will need more information about the error on the BSOD screen. You can take a picture of it with your phone or provide the log from your event viewer (right-click my computer, manage)

You barely even run into the m26. There are no new features or game mechanics or anything that's been changed in a major way....aside from the suppression change (if you can consider that major).

Just out of curiosity, what would you like to see changed? I mean, I figure we're getting pay-for features with the Premium service and the Expansions.

hey guys

what's the rumored release date for Close quarters? I assume it hasn't been announced yet... probably won't till e3

but is there a rumored release date? and is there any date for the next double xp weekend? missed the last one

*shakes fist at diablo 3*

Seanspeed

Banned
You barely even run into the m26.

No? That was all just my imagination?

Thank god, cuz it sucked and was stopping me from playing the game for a while. I had this irrational fear that the close-quarters DLC would be dominated by the M26, but thank god no one uses it like you say. Phew!

MrBig

hey guys

what's the rumored release date for Close quarters? I assume it hasn't been announced yet... probably won't till e3

but is there a rumored release date? and is there any date for the next double xp weekend? missed the last one

*shakes fist at diablo 3*

June 4th at after they talk about it at E3, for those who buy the premium service.

ProXimity

Banned
I want to get this game for my new PC, but it's essentially a $90 game. I'd have to buy it on Origin for $40, then get the fucking premium for $50 if I ever wanted to play with anybody.

I want to get this game for my new PC, but it's essentially a $90 game. I'd have to buy it on Origin for $40, then get the fucking premium for $50 if I ever wanted to play with anybody.

That's my situation. I just don't know. I put about 50 hours in the PS3 version last year. Someone ripped me off for a B2K code which didn't work, I stopped playing and later sold my PS3.

Now I have a PC. I've been trying to find a fun mp game. RO2 isn't that great, I'm waiting for the mods to come out for that.

ProXimity

Banned
Yeah, I have it for 360. I'd pretty much be paying $150 for the BF3 experience. I'm fine getting BF3 for $40; it's absolutely worth purchasing now that I can run the game maxed out and without the console's numerous limitations.

Paying another $50 for maps and fucking SERVER PRIORITY is bullshit, though. If they didn't give you server priority, I wouldn't be as upset.

You don't need to get anything extra. They'll be plenty of vanilla servers for you to enjoy. You can also buy the disk version for much cheaper.

mr_nothin

Banned
Just out of curiosity, what would you like to see changed? I mean, I figure we're getting pay-for features with the Premium service and the Expansions.

What I'd like to see changed probably needs to be done in the next real BF game. I'd like them to go back to their roots. I would like to have seen a "Classic Mode" implemented.

Divius

Could someone tl;dr Battlefield Premium for me?

Also, what are you guys favorite weapons? I am totally in love with the AN94, just like in BFBC2 <3

Binabik15

Support's definitely become more useable, although I think most people would still agree that Engineers are the best all-round class. The gun balancing has helped a lot.

Cool, cool, I give the game (and my connection a try next week. I only played what, 20 hours last year. Now all new maps, I'll get my ass handed to me so hard.

Still wish I could be my awesome BC2 recoon with. Or medic with 249 with hardly any kills but sooo many points and m-com defends/destorys. Sigh.

AlexBasch

Geez. I just started on the multiplayer and it's a whole lot different than BC2, for example, I recall being able to use only a small portion of the mag to kill someone in here I empty my goddamned Assault Rifle and the guy just turns back and walks over to knife me, it's getting kinda annoying.

I know I'm low level and whatnot, but how the hell am I supposed to rank up if I'm unable to kill guys even if I have low ping and I fill them with bullets and getting easily headshotted with a handgun?

Geez. I just started on the multiplayer and it's a whole lot different than BC2, for example, I recall being able to use only a small portion of the mag to kill someone in here I empty my goddamned Assault Rifle and the guy just turns back and walks over to knife me, it's getting kinda annoying.

I know I'm low level and whatnot, but how the hell am I supposed to rank up if I'm unable to kill guys even if I have low ping and I fill them with bullets and getting easily headshotted with a handgun?

that's pretty strange. that scenario you described is much more likely to happen in BC2 than BF3.

Yeah, that's not the fault of your level or your gun, it's likely you. The hit detection and ping have been greatly improved since BC2, so if you were fine there it shouldn't be a problem in BF3.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Fire in controlled bursts. There's recoil in BF3. I've taken down entire squads as they were shooting at me before because they were going full auto.

AlexBasch

Fire in controlled bursts. There's recoil in BF3. I've taken down entire squads as they were shooting at me before because they were going full auto.
Maybe this is the real issue, since I just got a lot more kills using a shotgun and handguns. Gun recoil definitely feels a lot more heavy since I used small bursts in BC2 and killed a lot more in there. Not insane "sick k/d 100/4" stuff but at least a bit more leveled.

Well, I'll just keep on it, need to get used to heal as an assault guy. I liked using LMG's for suppresion and dropping medkits like candy back in BC2.

Jesus Christ, people in this game are fucking invincible, now I can't kill them even with point blank Shotgun blasts and I get a lot of 'your connection has timed out' stuff. I'm really regretting ever buying BF3.

CatPee

Maybe this is the real issue, since I just got a lot more kills using a shotgun and handguns. Gun recoil definitely feels a lot more heavy since I used small bursts in BC2 and killed a lot more in there. Not insane "sick k/d 100/4" stuff but at least a bit more leveled.

Well, I'll just keep on it, need to get used to heal as an assault guy. I liked using LMG's for suppresion and dropping medkits like candy back in BC2.

In BC2, even small bursts were extremely accurate and pretty much in a straight line. That doesn't really happen as much in BF3. Try using the burst fire mode on guns that have them. I like them more than full auto.

I basically migrated directly from BC2 into this game, and when I first started, I had the hardest time adapting. I felt like I couldn't hit shit. The problem was that I was trying to play BF3 like it was BC2. It's a totally different game with different mechanics.

The best advice I can give you is to stick with the M16 / AK for now, as they're excellent guns. Also, learn to pulse fire . . . I try to fire about 5-8 rounds, pause for 1/2 second, then burst again. You'll get the hang of it.

Also, are you on PC or console?

I see a lot of complaints about it taking longer to kill someone in BF3 over BC2. I do not notice this. As far as damage goes, its the same as far as I can tell. I do see a difference in how range and accuracy affect the guns. You didn't have as much of a damage decrease or as much of an accuracy decrease in BC2 as it is in BF3. The gunplay is different but the damage applied isn't.

I see a lot of complaints about it taking longer to kill someone in BF3 over BC2. I do not notice this. As far as damage goes, its the same as far as I can tell. I do see a difference in how range and accuracy affect the guns. You didn't have as much of a damage decrease or as much of an accuracy decrease in BC2 as it is in BF3. The gunplay is different but the damage applied isn't.

Actually the damage has gone up. In BC2 there were some LMGs which would take 8-10 bullets to kill at long range (12.5-10 damage) while in BF3 every LMG kills at 5 bullets.

http://denkirson.xanga.com/722757523/bad-company-2/

http://symthic.com/charts.php

AlexBasch

I basically migrated directly from BC2 into this game, and when I first started, I had the hardest time adapting. I felt like I couldn't hit shit. The problem was that I was trying to play BF3 like it was BC2. It's a totally different game with different mechanics.

The best advice I can give you is to stick with the M16 / AK for now, as they're excellent guns. Also, learn to pulse fire . . . I try to fire about 5-8 rounds, pause for 1/2 second, then burst again. You'll get the hang of it.

Also, are you on PC or console?
PC. I'm trying to take it slow and play with Recon class with the SKS for controlled fire and spotting and I'm not getting those dreadful 2/90 results.

...then I got kicked for using SKS. Apparently that weapon was banned from the server because it was overpowered. Kinda like how I was kicked from another server for being in a tank for too long defending a flag. -_-

Xux

...then I got kicked for using SKS. Apparently that weapon was banned from the server because it was overpowered. Kinda like how I was kicked from another server for being in a tank for too long defending a flag. -_-
WTF. There should be a test or something for admins to determine if they're a whining, bitching idiot.

PC. I'm trying to take it slow and play with Recon class with the SKS for controlled fire and spotting and I'm not getting those dreadful 2/90 results.

Eh my personal opinion is that you should roll Assault first . . . learn the layout of the maps, and how the weapons work before jumping into more specialized classes.

Also, look through topics on how to optimize BF3. Makes a good difference.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
So are there any GAF servers left or does anyone know any good vanilla type servers to play on?
No more GAF servers I don't think, though I am going to have a 16 slot Close Quarters server running as soon as it hits next week (With BF Premium. Could come as soon as Tuesday).

You know, you should play with some GAF players. I may have gone up on the game based on randoms, but I really play my BEST when I'm playing with others. Even losing can be fun if you're playing with others.

Edit: add me on battlelog, I'll invite you along to a game if I ever see you online. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/SG751/stats/235480631/

Shuusui

Not sure if this should be in the Premium Leaks thread, but here's a snap taken after the recent patch. I am not the photographer.

6zjsN.jpg

MrBig

Purchased this for PC today, coming from 360. Any regulars here on GAF I should add on Origin, or any servers you guys frequent?

Woorloog

Banned
Can someone explain how Armored Kill will work on consoles with just 24 players? The vehicular maps are rather bad on consoles already, any larger size won't be good.

Top Bottom