• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just played the opening level in the SP mode. Had a great time! My GAWD the graphics are incredible. It's that they are so freaking clean and sharp and detailed. The explosions never get old either. Love the weapons, voice-acting, and controls. The animation is top-notch! I love watching my team move around as they feel like they are real people with weight. I don't see this kind of fidelity being surpassed anytime soon honestly... What a great game so far!

REV 09

had some great games tonight, very few disconnects or crashes. i did get a few cases of banding though, but i can live with that over hard locks / freezing.

Sarcasm

A question about a character in the single player

Who is the Russian dude that helps you escape? You forts see him after being torture in a cell and he bursts through a some wall. You climb some pipes, Asian chick shoots the tide and your on top of a snowy mountain.

Xyber

What is the gatling gun on the gunship designed for? it seems like it does no damage

It seems broken right now, I think there is supposed to be some splash damage on it but as it is right now you are lucky if you get a single hitmarker on a stationary target..

A question about a character in the single player

Who is the Russian dude that helps you escape? You forts see him after being torture in a cell and he bursts through a some wall. You climb some pipes, Asian chick shoots the tide and your on top of a snowy mountain.

Dimitri from BF3

Xyber

Gunship guns are shit in general. I hate that middle cannon. Takes like 9 hits to kill infantry with it seems.

With something that can be spammed out by the commander as soon as it goes down, it wouldn't be very smart to make it too powerful but that gun could probably get a little buff in damage and have less ammo instead.

CatPee

With something that can be spammed out by the commander as soon as it goes down, it wouldn't be very smart to make it too powerful but that gun could probably get a little buff in damage and have less ammo instead.

Still, it's already quite difficult to hit anything at all with its cannons. If you get lucky, you might find some tank or AA being stationary and land a shot, but it's fucking ridiculous when said shot deals 18 damage and that's with the primary gun.

As it is, the gunship is merely fodder for the already-worthless Stealth Jets.

Tak3n

Banned
Well I tried the matchmaking on Obliteration... that did not work, did not know the Map (one where there is a lot of water) and it was a real mess went 1/8 in the 10 mins I was there...

Though I shot this assault gut, then he suddenly appeared 6 feet to the left! and killed me

Anyway everyone was in their 20's in level terms!

Faith

Why the map on the bigger screen and not the other way around?
Because a TV has much higher inputlag than a TFT monitor. And because you can better focus stuff right in front of you. Playing MP on a big TV is just a disadvantage.

So after finishing the campaign all
three times I'm pretty surprised that Pak never betrayed you. This seemed to be foreshadowed from tip to tail of the game. He's the first character you meet, not two minutes into the game, and he starts it by pulling a gun on you and saying he almost shot you. The entire time Irish throws suspicion at Hannah and ever the diplomat, Pak urges everyone to just get along like the slimy little manipulator he is. It's later revealed that he's a recent addition to the team, and then he feigns his own death when you are captured by the Chinese, revealing only when you make it back to the Valhalla that he's still alive, without any explanation whatsoever of how he lived, escaped capture by the Chinese, and returned to the ship. He shows no relief to see Hannah alive, if anything giving her a very cold reunion. Finally, and most damning, when you, Hannah, and Irish decide to take a RHIB to destroy Chang's destroyer, Pak quietly excuses himself from the mission, again, without explanation, and hands you a box of faulty demo charges, before returning to Jin Jie's side. The entire game seemed to be building up to Pak being Chang's last card and killing or making an attempt on Jin Jie's life after the destroyer was sunk, and then it just ended, abruptly, after the destruction of the destroyer.
Am I crazy, or did they amputate the game's finale?
I think you are right. I heard that Dice cut a lot of the story and that is the reason why it's so confusing, just too many holes and changes.

So I'm in the 'really like it, but don't love it . . . yet' camp. The stealth jets need a buff and the attack a nerf. I did a test . . . It look 6 passes with the stealth jet and 30mm cannons to take down the AC-130, and only 1.5 with the attack. Seems a little off.

The damage values for all the weapons in BF3 seemed perfect and felt right to me. I don't know why they decided to change it so much. It seems obtuse now.

They also need to make the coax on the tanks not a laser. I don't think their bullets have any drop at all.

And a little more recoil and spread with the guns would be nice.

I like BF3 better at this point. This feels sloppy, but with a bit of patching I think it'll be great.

Facism

So I'm in the 'really like it, but don't love it . . . yet' camp. The stealth jets need a buff and the attack a nerf. I did a test . . . It look 6 passes with the stealth jet and 30mm cannons to take down the AC-130, and only 1.5 with the attack. Seems a little off.

They also need to make the coax on the tanks not a laser. I don't think their bullets have any drop at all.

And a little more recoil and spread with the guns would be nice.

I like BF3 better at this point. This feels sloppy, but with a bit of patching I think it'll be great.

i'm of the same opinions.

Although if you want shit-tier weapons with spread and recoil, try Support :p

Keasar

All those unlocks I would have had if the servers would just stop crashing. This is a reason why I hate progression in multiplayer games.

Dits

2955050137474435850.png

What is the gatling gun on the gunship designed for? it seems like it does no damage
The only gatling gun in the game that does actual damage is the AA gun. :p

Miniguns suck on the scout and transport helicopters. Platforms are incredible unstable. Shaking continuously and people being bullet sponges doesn't help either. If they added 2 P228 pistols instead of miniguns these vehicles would be more dangerous.

Sanjay

Some spots are near impossible to Attack on Rush, I almost feel sorry for the other team at times. I don't think I ever felt like certain areas were impossible to Attack/Defend in BC1/BC2.

Valparaíso BC2, DAT HILL.

But winning on that map felt like the best thing ever.

Reckoner

Completed the single player and honestly I quite enjoyed it surprisingly, especially after Battlefield 3s 'campaign'. It won't win any awards and the story is as minimal as they come but it says a lot for how good the combat is that I didn't really get bored shooting AI mans plus of course it looks stunning. I guess being able to change weapons often helps as well as I like to mix things up.

Unfortunately after finishing the campaign it hasn't updated the battlelog and it still says I'm on mission 1 incomplete. It better give me my weapon unlocks for multi when I play it over the weekend or I'll be pissed.

What weapon unlocks? Mine says that I haven't completed the last mission.

Spades

Played through the first two levels of campaign yesterday, came back this morning to continue where I left off and my progress seems to have disappeared. :(

Faith

No it really isn't.
I played a lot of games with good story like Halo, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Portal and stuff. I know what I'm talking about and the story of BF3 was much better than in any other modern warfare shooter (except Spec Ops The Line).

Yeah the QTEs in BF3 were horrible, but the campaign overall was just good. BF4 campaign is much shorter and most of the time really boring.

vazel

Banned
I played a lot of games with good story like Halo, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Portal and stuff. I know what I'm talking about and the story of BF3 was much better than in any other modern warfare shooter (except Spec Ops The Line).

Yeah the QTEs in BF3 were horrible, but the campaign overall was just good. BF4 campaign is much shorter and most of the time really boring.
omg.gif

Someone expose this poor child to quality writing, STAT!

Xyber

Okay mabe Obliteration is just not good period. Or not for me...

It needs to be played with a full squad you can communicate with, it gets so much better that way. I didn't really like it either until I played it with a full squad and talking to each other on mumble. Had an amazing game on Operation Locker where it was my squad that had the bomb, we were all alone about 20 seconds from the plant zone running like fools in the corridors below. Me and another guy held off everyone behind us with incendiary grenades while the other two guys protected the bomb up front. They manage to plant the bomb and win the game just before their entire team came running into the room to defuse it.

One hell of a "Battlefield moment" right there and of course Shadowplay wasn't working as usual.

Divus

The only gatling gun in the game that does actual damage is the AA gun. :p

Thought that to until I tried the RHIB boat minigun. Played a game of Rush on Parcel Storm and in a couple minutes I had 16 or 17 kills. When attacking park that to the side of the sunken carrier and the defenders are screwed. It drops them faster than any other vehicle other than the attack boat. Also managed to drop there transport chopper and destroy the attack boat before they could react. Would of done better except a teamate spawned in and beached it eventually.

It's broken good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom