• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyS

Woo-Fu

Banned
Started recon today, final kit to level up. Saved it for last because I'm horrible with sniper rifles and I don't feel the carbines have the range for a lot of the Conquest Large I prefer to play.

Anyhow, I found a way around that: Play Rush instead. Anybody can use a sniper rifle on this mode because your targets tend to clump up in the same area and move very little. After a few hours of Rush I only have a couple unlocks left in Recon. I was switching between sniper rifle and carbine as the situation demanded.

This is the first time I've ever got hate mail while playing a multiplayer game

4UKp61i.jpg

He called me a camper too

Ok after 50 hours already in this game I have to vent.

Multiplayer needs vehicle balancing something terrible, mainly air units. They are so weak. The attack chopper takes about 13 shots to the rear of the tank to kill. And don't even waste your rockets on infantry... they do nothing. The LAV feels pretty good as do the MBT, but the air units man... so weak. Even the warthog can't kill a tank in one strafe with his main gun.

Literally everything locks onto you. You get one line of defense every 25 seconds. 2 Engineers can easily ground your entire airforce.

The stealth jet is worthless because the map boundaries are too small. I did a full strafe run against an attack boat which landed 80% of the shots and it only hit him for about 20 points. WTF?

You have about 5 seconds to circle around and get a shot off before you have to circle around and do the same thing again. It's just flying in one big circle due to weird map boundaries.

There's just no reason not to play engineer on maps with lots of vehicles, there's no pentalty. You're main weapon kills infantry just as fast as assault and you get AT mines , repair... and a ton of launchers that lock onto any and everything. ONE INFANTRY SHOULD NOT BE STRONG ENOUGH TO GROUND A CHOPPER. And if you do get hit when locked you're screwed because every shot disables your rotor and down you go..... or you sit there idling around like an idiot for 10 seconds.

Vehicles that feel great though are the MBT with Sabot + HMG, LAV with 25MM + Zuni Rockets, and attack boat with AA and 30mm. That attack boat is how vehicles should be.. .you should FEAR a vehicle. I miss the days of BF1942 so much when a good pilot or tanker could run around forever and just dominate. Why DICE decided to cater to infantry so much is beyond me. Let infantry have their modes like domination, defuse etc... and let conquest / rush have stronger vehicles. If people complain about the vehicles give them a limited mode... something.

/end rant

Good. Glad air sucks.

I'm sure like bf3, all the air whores will complain endlessly on forums until dice caves and make air ridiculous again so the game is ruined. Until then, I'll happily enjoy a full battlefield experience than having to sort for infantry only maps.

Divus

This is the first time I've ever got hate mail while playing a multiplayer game

4UKp61i.jpg

He called me a camper too

When I was on Xbox I used to get lots of hate mail. Also had a 80 something percent avoid rate. Always was in party chat so it wasn't like I was even saying anything to them.

It's better on PC since you can use the chat box on the go. I usually try and make them madder or confirm there suspicions. "Ye$ I'm 1337 hax0r, gat on mah lvl bra" as I'm barely pulling a 2 K/D that game.

Zomba13

When I was on Xbox I used to get lots of hate mail. Also had a 80 something percent avoid rate. Always was in party chat so it wasn't like I was even saying anything to them.

It's better on PC since you can use the chat box on the go. I usually try and make them madder or confirm there suspicions. "Ye$ I'm 1337 hax0r, gat on mah lvl bra" as I'm barely pulling a 2 K/D that game.

It's a guilty pleasure of mine trolling those kinds of people.

HariKari

hmm what? No they are not. All the assault weapons are more accurate and have less damage drop off. Carbines are easier to handle and better hipfire.

They are only marginally more accurate ADS when standing still. Everywhere else, the carbines are better. Damage dropoff is a non issue at ranges you'd want to use either.

Fistwell

2 Engineers can easily ground your entire airforce.
While I hate air (helo mainly, planes dont bother me), that's the truth. On my own as an engi with an IGLA, I can down a cple of aircrafts on average. The only reason I stop shooting is because either 1) there's nothing to shoot anymore, 2) I'm out of ammo and no support wants to drop any in spite of my spamming NEED AMMO on the com.

I'm sometimes strongly tempted to commit sudoku just to get a fresh stock of missiles...

But, anyways, yeah, 2 engis with AA tubes will lay waste to most of a team's air.

CatPee

Good. Glad air sucks.

I'm sure like bf3, all the air whores will complain endlessly on forums until dice caves and make air ridiculous again so the game is ruined. Until then, I'll happily enjoy a full battlefield experience than having to sort for infantry only maps.

Air is still powerful. Scout helos can mow down light vehicles and infantry, attack helos can instantly destroy a tank with some well-placed rockets while the gunner sweeps off the ground, and attack jets can hold their own against absolutely everything else. It's just that the Stealth Jets are utterly useless even within their anti-air niche since the minigun only does ~25 damage on any helicopter in one strafe, thus requiring 3-4 runs without any interference to take one down while a lone infantry can do it in a few seconds with some Stingers. Against other jets, the minigun requires an absurd amount of hits to do any sort of meaningful damage, thus eliminating their purpose again. For everything that they're meant to do, there are various other things that do it so much better to an extent that they can't even be considered a jack-of-all-trades against them.

The fact that it only takes 1 kill to be in Division 1 of their leaderboards is quite telling of how absolutely useless and underpowered they are. With ~10 kills under my belt, I'm probably in the top 500 already. >_>

Animator

Anyone who says the attack jets need a buff doesn't know how to play attack jets.

They do need to fix the TV missile on it though it is absolutely impossible to use.

Leb

Anyone who says the attack jets need a buff doesn't know how to play attack jets.

True enough. There are very, very few good pilots out there, but if they decide to buff the air assets, those very few, very good pilots are going to become literally unstoppable and it'll be back to the sky god days of BF2 where one pilot can lock down the entire map.

The only good sky god is a dead sky god, to be sure.

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
TDM on Operation Locker using the QBS-06 shotgun

Got a 870 MCS video where I went 11-1 which I'll upload tomorrow. Since I ADS most of the time I think I'll definitely be using Slug ammo instead. Should be beastly to an already beastly weapon class for Rush and TDM. Haven't found success with shotguns on any other mode.

I tried out the slugs and to be quite honest I think the buckshot is better. I could have just had a couple of bad rounds with it in a row but it took more than 2 shots to down someone center mass medium to short range. Buckshot gives me that one or two shot kill. Granted that was on non-hardcore servers. Hardcore it was great so yeah. Definitely try it out though and let me know your experience but mine was bad. I'm working on that SPAS so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Fistwell

Crashed. Again. Great job DICE.

Edit: first try to join an MP game 3 hrs later, game crashed before I could even get into the game, was still messing around with my loadout. GG DICE.

GrizzNKev

Banned
True enough. There are very, very few good pilots out there, but if they decide to buff the air assets, those very few, very good pilots are going to become literally unstoppable and it'll be back to the sky god days of BF2 where one pilot can lock down the entire map.

The only good sky god is a dead sky god, to be sure.

Only if they increase the area of the fly zone on most of the maps. It's impossible to get a good run in when you've passed your enemy by the time your guns are ready. Don't buff the jets, just give them more time to line up the shot.

Could anyone that thinks of themselves as a good heli/jet pilot please offer some tips to be a better pilot? I am a complete noob when it comes to efficiently using a heli or a jet so offer up advice as low level or as high level as you like, it will all be very useful!

I have a great time flying around, I just suck at aiming and generally take a long time to rack up some points or I die very quickly and I am not sure how to survive after my initial flares are on cooldown. Many thanks.

Could anyone that thinks of themselves as a good heli/jet pilot please offer some tips to be a better pilot? I am a complete noob when it comes to efficiently using a heli or a jet so offer up advice as low level or as high level as you like, it will all be very useful!

I have a great time flying around, I just suck at aiming and generally take a long time to rack up some points or I die very quickly and I am not sure how to survive after my initial flares are on cooldown. Many thanks.

Go to the test range and practice practice practice. Also when in a heli war, lock and fire your first shot to force his counter measure... then relock and fire second shot. This will get a hit 90% of the time and possibly a disable.

Holiday

Banned

I can only really speak to scout helicopters, but my main advice is to only be aggressive if you have a dedicated grinder, preferably two. If you're flying by yourself, being really aggressive will get you shot down quickly. Don't be ashamed to bail on the action until you get your countermeasures back. Also, I've found the test range to be useful for helicopter practice.

Sethos

Banned
Looks like the R6 patch worked, GAF server has been running for 12 hours now without a hitch! Which is 11 hours longer than before.

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the R6 patch worked, GAF server has been running for 12 hours now without a hitch! Which is 11 hours longer than before.

I also have a server that I can set up for GAF people. It's based in LA. I have it for the next 3 months and it's not seeing a lot of traffic. I'll run whatever you want.

Sethos

Banned
I also have a server that I can set up for GAF people. It's based in LA. I have it for the next 3 months and it's not seeing a lot of traffic. I'll run whatever you want.

Just quoting for emphasis, so the Americans can get a server too. Running mine conquest as I feel that's a nice middle-ground for everyone but mighty something else is preferred.

Played a lot this weekend, already got a Service Star for support.

It strikes me that if you can get every LMG by rank 15, it's not going to be incredibly difficult to get every weapon in the other classes though sniper rifles may take some patience.

On the topic of LMGs, the Pecheneg is once again savagely good. The last LMG you unlock besides the RPK 12 is the MG4. I hadn't used it before in a game so I was interested to try it. But i couldn't believe how weak it was. It may be partly down to server issues, there's a LOT of rubber banding when I play but using the MG4 I was consistently outgunned in everything but long range engagements when I had the bipod down. It's fast firing and pretty accurate but almost every other weapon will outclass you within 100 meters.

Fistwell

The scripting in the campaign is fucking pathetic.

"Ahhh, shoot! Shoot! We gotta take them down!!"

I've cleared the area 15 seconds ago what you talking about?

"Recker, you gotta cover her recker!!!"

Already did, they're all dead, what's your problem?

Come home from work and try to play a game, game 1 - crash in 5minutes, game 2 - crash in 10minutes. Back to DOTA I go.

I assume stats in test range don't count?

Seanspeed

Banned
Quick question since I'm confused by the 32/64 bit stuff.

If I have BF4 installed to my Program Files(x86) folder, does that mean I'm running it in 32 bit mode? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Yay, another disconnect in the middle of a great match at Dawnbreaker. This time on a UnitedNoobs server. Was top 5, had unlocked a bunch of stuff. This is so ridiculous. Feel like coming back at Christmas when (if) this crap is stable.

On the good side, first time playing Dawnbreaker map and I like it alot. Although DICE for the love of good please improve the damage engineers do to tanks. It should not take me 4-5 shots to kill a tank. By that time everyone on the map knows where I am and I am as good as dead. Are engineers supposed to sacrifice themselves to kill a tank?

Been like that since 2-3months after BF3 came out, Javelins use to take 2 hits to destroy a tank
Even in BF4 takes 3-4 hits, now got armor and rebound perks to make it 5-6 shots for a chance to destory a tank... bonkers.

Tanks are gonna be op as hell once casuals leave and people exploit them.

EVIL

Quick question since I'm confused by the 32/64 bit stuff.

If I have BF4 installed to my Program Files(x86) folder, does that mean I'm running it in 32 bit mode? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

you can choose it as a launch option in origin. (choose between x64 and x86)

Seanspeed

Banned
you can choose it as a launch option in origin. (choose between x64 and x86)
Cool, thanks. Just making sure I didn't need to move my install or anything.

But for future reference and curiosity, would an application run in the x86 folder generally mean I'm running 32 bit?

CozMick

Banned
I'm getting sick to fucking death of my ps3 freezing when attempting to switch attachments on my scar-h.

Urgh, roll on the 29th.

cripterion

Might as well try that x86 trick since the game doesn't use the ram that's available running the x64 executable. Would be comedy cold if it only took that to stop the crashes.

Lakitu

st5fu
This is the kind of shit that makes my blood boil to a point of complete rage. A lot of shit I can handle but this respawn-right-in front-of-you fucking bullshit can go shove a sharp dagger up its ass and do a late night boogie.

You have to give him props though. He has nice teeth.

cripterion

Nvidia need to get that driver sorted ASAP - playing without v-sync is horrendous.

What do you mean? Aside from the crashes (which I don't think are due to Nvidia since AMD users get them too) game's performance is flawless for me on latest Nvidia drivers, and I'm not using Vsync.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom