• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makoto

Silencer is pointless when COMMANDER IS ONLINE anyway. Infantry scan and you're done.

Might as well use Heavy Barrel.
I've been using silencers and they've been great. The only time they become an issue is when the commander makes me a high value target, which in that case, means I must be doing something right. Commander being online is a weak counter to silencers because:

1) Commanders aren't always online anyway
2) Infantry scan being worth anything requires the commander to actually communicate to the team, particularly when it comes to individual, infantry targets, which doesn't happen in pubs. Sorry, it just doesn't.

jaaz

Why is cover worthless in this game? I lost count of the times I was literally shot behind a concrete wall. Since bullets are not supposed to go through concrete walls, I assume this is the server-side hit detection crapping out, right? That or they've invented heat seeking bullets thave follow you around walls...

LOL the HB is useless on assault rifles. The recoil is ridiculous.

Anyhoo, I came to post this awesome run I had with the Little Bird. It's my new favorite cheese machine. Lessons learned:

1) Have a good, dedicated engineer with you and your bird turns into a tank. This should really be patched . . . . the bird should have to be landed, or repair at a slower rate. They need to even it out with the Attack Choppers inability to repair on the fly, so to speak.

2) Always aim for the ass of Boats. EZ killz.

Observe.

I'll post my second LB vid later.

A little bird with mini guns absolutely destroys an attack chopper in a dogfight. It's not even close.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I played in a Conquest game 2 days ago with a Little Bird dude who went like 64-3. I was on twitch earlier tonight and saw the same guy streaming with over 1000 viewers and his battlelog showed that he basically only uses the Little Bird, like 0 gun kills. I don't get how people are so maneuverable with them, like zooming around without tilting down and stuff. Couldn't do in in BF2 or 3 either.

Grief.exe

Why is cover worthless in this game? I lost count of the times I was literally shot behind a concrete wall. Since bullets are not supposed to go through concrete walls, I assume this is the server-side hit detection crapping out, right? That or they've invented heat seeking bullets thave follow you around walls...

Yes that is a net code issue.

I've learned to not try to outplay people by peaking then repeaking. Just peak and take your shot, you are going to die behind the cover if you try to move back behind it again.

I wish I had that revelation earlier. Had to adjust a lot of my strategies due to the shoddy release.

Made another emblem

Doug
bls4wsi.png

Code: http://pastebin.com/wyKm7HtA#

Nice! Can I add you on battlelog?

Xyber

I was just looking through some shadowplay footage I had saved and saw this sweet road kill by a chopper. Just a perfect little swoop from nowhere.

chopper_by_xyberly-d6tjvkb.gif

I played in a Conquest game 2 days ago with a Little Bird dude who went like 64-3. I was on twitch earlier tonight and saw the same guy streaming with over 1000 viewers and his battlelog showed that he basically only uses the Little Bird, like 0 gun kills. I don't get how people are so maneuverable with them, like zooming around without tilting down and stuff. Couldn't do in in BF2 or 3 either.

I have a feeling I k ow who you mean. His video is usually in the bottom right corner, he plays awful music in the background and hardly ever says a word.

He's been doing flying only since bf3 and it's boring as he'll to watch. He obviously enjoys it though.

Kahoona

I was just looking through some shadowplay footage I had saved and saw this sweet road kill by a chopper. Just a perfect little swoop from nowhere.

chopper_by_xyberly-d6tjvkb.gif

How much of a performance hit is shadowplay? I'm afraid to turn it on due to the potential loss of frames.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ya'll are missing the point. Heavy Barrel isn't the accessory to pick over the silencer. My point is, any other accessory has other uses (reduces recoil, reduces kick, etc) over the silencers "no sound, no mini-map" perk.

When 90% of your encounters are going to have you show up on the mini-map anyway, why would you pick a no-sound? T-UGS can pick you up. Motion mine can pick you up. MAV can pick you up. Commander can even pick you up. So you lose... gunfire sounds? Yay?

At that point you might as well use a muzzle break, heavy barrel, etc. etc. etc. over the silencer since it's main perk ("no sound") is entirely redundant in the big picture.

Makoto

When 90% of your encounters are going to have you show up on the mini-map anyway, why would you pick a no-sound? T-UGS can pick you up. Motion mine can pick you up. MAV can pick you up. Commander can even pick you up. So you lose... gunfire sounds? Yay?
The problem is no one uses anything you've listed (at least, in my experience).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The problem is no one uses anything you've listed (at least, in my experience).

So far, because the player-base is still learning the game/modes/etc.

Once people that know how to use the T-ugs/etc. etc. show up, the Silencer isn't going to be as "godlike" as ya'll want to make it sound.

Does it have it's uses? Sure, I'll give you that. Is it entirely redundant in the bigger picture of the game when nearly everything in the game is going to make it's one major draw ("do not show up on the mini-map while firing a gun") pointless? I say a resounding "yes" to that.

You're better off learning to use the other things than the silencer, IMO.

Spazznid

Fuck this game.

Some people might think I'm overreacting but I'm fucking not. Let me run the last half an hour by you.

I join the GAF West Coast server, and we're on Flood zone, favorite map, so I'm cool. I miss a bunch of shots and get hit behind a bunch of cover, but whatever. I THINK i got a 0.7 ish KD so I guess it's better than nothing. Level change to Dawnbreaker. Crash during load. Well, fuck you too, BF4. I re-join six times untill Battlelog stops telling me I'm already in the match. Game loads, and I get in. I PTFO, and am in like 3rd place, but for some reason, every kill I almost get is stolen, or saved by random tank/teammates that weren't there before, or I pop someone six times and end up dying to one shot of their pistol or maybe they glared at me harshly. Every time I get in a Heli, the Jet shoots me down, Every time I get in a Jet, the Jet shoots me down, Every time I get in a tank, a heli shoots me down. I eventually get into an actual non AA tank and think, "Well, maybe I'll show the other tank some from-behind-lovin'" Immediately the enemy Heli is on me, with not a single ally AA in sight. I can't aim high enough, but they keep pretty low, so right before I die, I jump out of my tank and Pop a nade Recklessly at the Heli. This just so happens to kill the pilot and destroy the Heli. ALT+ NUMPAD 0.... Nothing.... Well, turns out Shadowplay is glitching with BF4 again, so no saved proof of me actually knowing what I'm doing. Fuck you Shadowplay. So I proceed to the next base. I'm still in 3rd place on my team with an almost negative KD and the enemy team is made of mostly 10+ KD. I help cap the base and get shot by a tank that can't see nor shoot me, because of walls in the way. So I get in a Heli, and head to where the fucking tank is. FREEEEZE. Fuck you Spazznid.

I'm seriously hating everything right now. EVERY day off I can't catch a fucking break. EVERY match for the last week has been EXACTLY like this, almost word for word, and usually it's a bit worse. I don't suck at BF, I'm definitely not 20/10 good, but in BC2 I was always 3rd or better, with a positive KD. Same with the majority of early BF3, as well as the BF4 beta. It's the game, and I can't prove it, because not only does the game ruin my play time, it also ruins Shadowplay most of the time.

I'm getting a new monitor to replace my Bravia soon, but I can tell this set has pretty low input lag. I don't want to completely blame that, since I've done plenty good on this set. But I'm seriously thinking about quitting and maybe getting the PS4 version.

But I'm seriously thinking about quitting and maybe getting the PS4 version.

Unless you're tired of PC games in general, sure. But you should know that console players are suffering from the same amount of crashes as well, leaving the PC BF4 scene won't fix it. It's all on DICE to fix the game which is pretty much broken, and they're being really slow about getting some client side patches out.

I get just as many crashes, but I love the game so much that I stick to it. I'm also a really calm and patient person so that helps :/

Spazznid

Unless you're tired of PC games in general, sure. But you should know that console players are suffering from the same amount of crashes as well, leaving the PC BF4 scene won't fix it. It's all on DICE to fix the game which is pretty much broken, and they're being really slow about getting some client side patches out.

I get just as many crashes, but I love the game so much that I stick to it. I'm also a really calm and patient person so that helps :/

It's not about the crashes at all.

Smash88

Banned
Sure
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/serioslee/

I use it, there is absolutely ZERO frame loss. You need a 600 or higher series NVIDIA card

Funny enough, my buddy from Rage3D forums talked about you making an emblem he requested, and here you are on GAF. Welcome by the way, love your emblems (saw them on Reddit as well).

Thanks man. I cross post them to get them out there, not looking for karma or anything, some people just don't have the skill or patience to make these things. I love filling requests too.

Definitely, I love seeing amazing emblems being passed around. For those of us that are artistically handicapped these are a saving grace, so thank you for that.

Funny enough, my buddy from Rage3D forums talked about you making an emblem he requested, and here you are on GAF. Welcome by the way, love your emblems (saw them on Reddit as well).

Thanks man. I cross post them to get them out there, not looking for karma or anything, some people just don't have the skill or patience to make these things. I love filling requests too.

Pandemic

Gah, I really wanna play the campaign but the framerate keeps turning to shit!

When are they expected to release a patch for the issues people are having with the crashes/frame rate issues/etc?

Leb

The Little Birds are pretty crazy. They're totally useless in the hands of 99% of the playerbase, but in the hands of the other 1%, they literally cannot be brought down except by other other members of the 1%.

Remmy2112

So far, because the player-base is still learning the game/modes/etc.

Once people that know how to use the T-ugs/etc. etc. show up, the Silencer isn't going to be as "godlike" as ya'll want to make it sound.

Does it have it's uses? Sure, I'll give you that. Is it entirely redundant in the bigger picture of the game when nearly everything in the game is going to make it's one major draw ("do not show up on the mini-map while firing a gun") pointless? I say a resounding "yes" to that.

You're better off learning to use the other things than the silencer, IMO.

TUGs was in Battlefield 3. Silencers were still useful in that game... less useful in fact than they are here, since these have no penalties. While there are other ways to be spotted you can avoid some of them, like staying away from an area when you hear the beeping of a motion ball. And, again, you are grossly overestimating how much the playerbase pays attention to the minimap. Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, and now this game have all had spot mechanics and people showing up on minimaps and there are still a absurdly large number of players who do not make use of the maps nor spot targets. Only a small percentage of the playerbase smartens up, the rest stay stupid. And even smart people have, are, and will fall prey to silencers.

As for other attachments all have downsides. Heavy Barrel? Massive recoil increase. Muzzle brake/compensator? Decreases your accuracy. The only attachment that has no downsides is the flash suppressor. For some guns muzzle brakes/compensators are good, like the AEK, but a number aren't, and if you are not going to use one of them you might as well use a suppressor, flash or normal.

maneil99

Game was fine for a few days, crashing again. So weird. 2 weeks and no Client Side Patch, even ghosts got one today

Woo-Fu

Banned

You seem to be missing the point. The silencer is better today on most guns than the alternatives are, period. It is as simple as that. There are plenty of times you can kill and not be seen with it, even with all the various spotting mechanics. Even limited stealth is better than showing up every single time you fire and is better than the downsides of the alternatives. Think about it, most guns I'd run with *nothing* in that slot before picking heavy barrel.

Kahoona

The Little Birds are pretty crazy. They're totally useless in the hands of 99% of the playerbase, but in the hands of the other 1%, they literally cannot be brought down except by other other members of the 1%.

The fact that the Little Bird doesn't get one-shot by a tank is complete and utter bullshit. Those things should trade off being able to take hits for mobility. A tank round should blast the thing out of the sky. As it is right now, it just gets disabled and is healed back to full before the tank can reload let alone hit it in the sky again...

Rizific

does motion blur help with fps at all? or is it more of a preference type of thing? ive always been playing my games with it off, but im trying to squeeze every bit of performance my gpu.

Pandemic

Didn't realize Origin had online customer service.. Someone helped me get my game running. Had to download a patch from 2009 I think.

RoKKeR

Obliteration is the fucking best.

Such a fun game mode. This was all from PTFO'ing as much as I could. This was also the moment Zazod 311 really clicked for me. When you throw in vehicles and a neutral bomb in the map gets really intense and fun, with lots of points for chaos but also room to maneuver. Damn fun game.

Xyber

Didn't realize Origin had online customer service.. Someone helped me get my game running. Had to download a patch from 2009 I think.

One of the few things EA does better than Valve when it comes to Origin and Steam. 15 minutes to wait for someone to chat with (from my one and only experience) or 1-2 days to wait for a mail.

And I have to say that the guy was helpful, even if he couldn't solve my problem because the solution was so fucked up.

Pandemic

One of the few things EA does better than Valve when it comes to Origin and Steam. 15 minutes to wait for someone to chat with (from my one and only experience) or 1-2 days to wait for a mail.

And I have to say that the guy was helpful, even if he couldn't solve my problem because the solution was so fucked up.

Agreed mate, agreed. Definitely helps to have a live chat with customer service. Having to wait a few days for a response via email isn't very enticing.. And I would've expected STEAM to have a service up and running.

They ended up resolving my problems so thumbs up for Origin, which is unusual for me, hah.

LOL the HB is useless on assault rifles. The recoil is ridiculous.

Anyhoo, I came to post this awesome run I had with the Little Bird. It's my new favorite cheese machine. Lessons learned:

1) Have a good, dedicated engineer with you and your bird turns into a tank. This should really be patched . . . . the bird should have to be landed, or repair at a slower rate. They need to even it out with the Attack Choppers inability to repair on the fly, so to speak.

2) Always aim for the ass of Boats. EZ killz.

Observe.

I'll post my second LB vid later.

Mouse and keyboard or joystick?

TUGs was in Battlefield 3. Silencers were still useful in that game... less useful in fact than they are here, since these have no penalties. While there are other ways to be spotted you can avoid some of them, like staying away from an area when you hear the beeping of a motion ball. And, again, you are grossly overestimating how much the playerbase pays attention to the minimap. Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, and now this game have all had spot mechanics and people showing up on minimaps and there are still a absurdly large number of players who do not make use of the maps nor spot targets. Only a small percentage of the playerbase smartens up, the rest stay stupid. And even smart people have, are, and will fall prey to silencers.

As for other attachments all have downsides. Heavy Barrel? Massive recoil increase. Muzzle brake/compensator? Decreases your accuracy. The only attachment that has no downsides is the flash suppressor. For some guns muzzle brakes/compensators are good, like the AEK, but a number aren't, and if you are not going to use one of them you might as well use a suppressor, flash or normal.

The Compensator decreases horizontal recoil, directly affecting accuracy. If your gun isn't shaking side to side as much, you are going to get a tighter spread. Here are the numbers to back it up(no I didn't make this chart, thank Symthic) http://cl.ly/0x2b3Z2Y2Z1L.

Obviously Heavy Barrel gives the most accuracy, but the recoil it adds is really high for guns you shoot full auto. Compensator does raise your spread, but the 25% decrease in horizontal recoil offsets that.

Here's a few shot patterns for the SCAR-H with attachments, http://cl.ly/3j1A1H29453v. Compensator is more accurate than the Muzzle Brake or Normal. The closest we have to the typical Heavy Barrel/Foregrip combo for run and gun Assault players.

I've been running Heavy Barrel/Folding Grip for long range assault rifles, Compensator/Vertical Grip for mid range and Muzzle Brake/Vertical Grip for close. Complements the ranges very nicely, except for SCAR-H where I have the Compensator instead of Heavy Barrel cause of recoil.

If you are running stealth, that is a different story entirely.

Remmy2112

The Compensator decreases horizontal recoil, directly affecting accuracy. If your gun isn't shaking side to side as much, you are going to get a tighter spread. Here are the numbers to back it up(no I didn't make this chart, thank Symthic) http://cl.ly/0x2b3Z2Y2Z1L.

Obviously Heavy Barrel gives the most accuracy, but the recoil it adds is really high for guns you shoot full auto. Compensator does raise your spread, but the 25% decrease in horizontal recoil offsets that.

Here's a few shot patterns for the SCAR-H with attachments, http://cl.ly/3j1A1H29453v. Compensator is more accurate than the Muzzle Brake or Normal. The closest we have to the typical Heavy Barrel/Foregrip combo for run and gun Assault players.

I've been running Heavy Barrel/Folding Grip for long range assault rifles, Compensator/Vertical Grip for mid range and Muzzle Brake/Vertical Grip for close. Complements the ranges very nicely, except for SCAR-H where I have the Compensator instead of Heavy Barrel cause of recoil.

If you are running stealth, that is a different story entirely.

I'm aware of the benefits of the various barrels for certain guns. For some of them they are really awesome, for others some of those attachments aren't worth it. The conversation with Seks stems from him believing that suppressors/flash hiders are worthless with all the revealing gadgets in the game and doubly so with modes that allow commanders. He believes you should always be running with a muzzle brake, compensator, or heavy barrel. I and others disagree. It depends on the gun, personal preference, and skill at managing recoil.

vixlar

Wow. Time limit must be obligatory on Obliteration. And something must be made on Flood Zone. When the bomb is dropped in water, it resets. It could be seen as a minor problem, but if you own the bases on the park, the enemy has a little advantage, because if they lose the bomb there, it is easier to recover, or your team must grab it and travel all the distance to their bases. If you are near their bases and lose the bomb in the water, it resets in the center of the map. So your team must capture the bomb again and travel haldf the map to reach their bases.

My friend wanted to play BF4, but after 40 minutes in that map and game mode, she got tired and gave me the controller. Of course, I was yelling at her because she was only shooting her rockets and far from the objective. There were already two enemy bases destroyed, but that last one was really difficult. After 10 minutes I started playing, I grabbed the bomb, armed and destroyed the base. I did almost the same points she did on all that time. (on her defense, she destroyed two choppers, one of them while she was on parachute)

I'm aware of the benefits of the various barrels for certain guns. For some of them they are really awesome, for others some of those attachments aren't worth it. The conversation with Seks stems from him believing that suppressors/flash hiders are worthless with all the revealing gadgets in the game and doubly so with modes that allow commanders. He believes you should always be running with a muzzle brake, compensator, or heavy barrel. I and others disagree. It depends on the gun, personal preference, and skill at managing recoil.

Oh ok, I didn't go that far back in the thread and I agree with what you are saying.

Remmy2112

Is there a best assault rifle? In BF3 it was the F2000 and the AEk-971 IMO, and now?

I thought the trifecta of ARs in BF3 were the M16A3 as best all-around, M416 as best ranged, and AEK as best up close?

Anywho, in BF4 there is no "best" assault rifle. They each do things a little differently. For all-around the champ seems to be the M416, with controllable, predictable recoil, a good fire rate, and a absurdly fast reload (1.85 seconds if there's still a bullet in the chamber). AEK and the FAMAS are the close range kings, boasting fire rates of 900 and 1000, respectively, with the AEK being a little better if you stop and shoot and the FAMAS being better at firing on the move and hip firing. You MUST burst with those guns though or you aren't hitting shit. The SAR-21 is one of the best long range ARs with good range and an almost non-existent vertical recoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom