• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fonz72

I wouldn't. The game is amazing. Best Battlefield ever, IMO. The PC update coming tomorrow will hopefully eliminate many of the crashes so I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4/XBone versions also get a patch quickly after launch if not day 1.

Besides, what else are you going to play? Killzone looks like shit. CoD? Bleh. Knack?

Thank you for the reply.

I acutally have Killzone and Knack preordered as well. After reading the Knack reviews that game is out for sure. It doesn't look as bad as the scores would have you believe, but it's not $60 good. Killzone is actually reviewing well, and besides it seems to be a good showcase of the next generation bling bling.

Goddamned Battlefield. I'm in.

Hopefully PS4 will get the patch PC is receiving at launch.

Fonz72

Myself, and several others, had some weird issues on PS3 last night:

1 - Weapon and gear unlocks resetting to the beginning.
2 - Beginning default gear (i.e. ammo packs, repair tool) popping up as "unlocked" when using them.
3 - End of game didn't run through XP earned and gear/rank progress screens.
4 - No one in the room showing a rank on the scoreboard.
5 - Battlelog has no record of these games in "Reports".

All that, and Battlelog still shows all my unlocked gear, and rank 21. It's as if last night's games took place in an alternate universe! :p

1-4-5 Happen pretty often in BF3 on PS3 for me.

Took them over 2 weeks to bring out a patch that would stop most or all of the crashing and netcode problems... TWO WEEKS after release...

Thank you for the reply.

I acutally have Killzone and Knack preordered as well. After reading the Knack reviews that game is out for sure. It doesn't look as bad as the scores would have you believe, but it's not $60 good. Killzone is actually reviewing well, and besides it seems to be a good showcase of the next generation bling bling.

Goddamned Battlefield. I'm in.

Hopefully PS4 will get the patch PC is receiving at launch.

Good decision. It's a really good game. There will most likely be some bugs but you should still get a lot of enjoyment out of it and finally that PC sized BF on a console.

a916

About time. I am getting sick of these crashes. I tried playing today again, 3 rounds, all crashed 5 minutes in.

It would be really strange if they somehow haven't fixed these issues before the first DLC...

We are happy to report that the PC Battlefield 4 game update will go live tomorrow, November 14. The main focus of this update is threefold:

1) Reduce the number of crashes

I want an elimination of those crashes, not just a reduction.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Took them over 2 weeks to bring out a patch that would stop most or all of the crashing and netcode problems... TWO WEEKS after release...

This patch won't stop the netcode problems. I am cautiously optimistic that it will stop most of the client crash problems.

There are netcode problems that are intrinsic to the model they've chosen for BF3 and BF4. If we're lucky---and I use that term lightly---we'll at least get netcode as good/bad as BF3.

Heysoos

I hope that the PC client patch fixes things.

The thing that really pisses me off more than the crashing is that I have so much fun with the game when it's working properly. Even with the terrible netcode and sometimes extremely shitty spawns, I would be a lot more patient if I didn't freaking crash every couple of matches.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Give the C4 to Irish instead of Hannah to unlock the 249

I'm a little disappointed PDW's are Engineer only this outing. I slogged through the campaign for the FN P90 and only get it for the easy modo class. Not all classes. MY MOBILE RECON: RUINED!

Unless I use a carbine, BUT NOT THE SAME THING! ;___; I want my BFF FN P90 on all classes!

Grief.exe

I would have preferred Prepare for Crashes, this one doesn't really make sense from both a grammar perspective and for those with a lack of context.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I would have preferred Prepare for Crashes, this one doesn't really make sense from both a grammar perspective and for those with a lack of context.
Makes a lot more sense, prepare for leave beta makes none unless they're cracking on somebody's broken english.

This patch won't stop the netcode problems. I am cautiously optimistic that it will stop most of the client crash problems.

There are netcode problems that are intrinsic to the model they've chosen for BF3 and BF4. If we're lucky---and I use that term lightly---we'll at least get netcode as good/bad as BF3.

That's my main concern as well.

There's also something else going on with this game - perhaps many things - that I just can't put my finger on, but I'm just not having much fun with it. And generally speaking I'm pretty addicted to the general Battlefield formula. It probably has to do with the intricacies of map and vehicle balance, but I'm finding the game more frustrating than fun. I feel like on CQ maps that if I'm not running for my life from armor, I'm getting sniped by some pack of dudes on a rooftop. There's very little combat that doesn't get interrupted by one of these two things.

I've found that normal (non-large) CQ maps can help alleviate the armor problem, as they generally have less tanks and aircraft, but it doesn't fully solve it. Besides, I still enjoy having more cap points.

The rooftop situation is, I don't know... not sure what the map designers were thinking or how they didn't anticipate this. A rooftop here or there is fine, but maps like Flood Zone and Dawnbreaker are littered with rooftops that tower over the rest of the map, making it hard for those on the ground to defend against it. And having a squad control the two roofs in a Zavod Domination match is an exercise in madness.

Other maps have the illusion of cover, but in reality, being infantry, getting from one point to the next is typically a deathwish. None of these maps seem to find that infantry-armor balance like in BF3, especially Back To Karkand.

Small Domination matches are sort of fun, but those close engagements only seem to highlight that terrible netcode.

I'm scared the client patch will fuck up issues more then solve them :S

Well if BF3's patching process is anything to go by you'd be spot on

Every time something rolled out back then it was 1 step forward and 2 steps back. I still remember when they completely fucked up the suppression in one of the patches

All in all though it usually gets there in the end

Grief.exe

I actually kept getting 1 shot by the ACE 53 the past couple of games I was playing on.

I know its a network sync issue, but I wonder what it is with that particular gun that makes it more common.

The ACE weapons are gonna get incredibly nerfed after a while. They're extremely OP

The ACE 23 seems like it slots in correctly to me.

Lower RPM than the AEK, but easier to control.
Higher RPM than the M416, but slightly harder to control.

Dice was fine with the M16 being the all-around best gun in BF3.

HariKari

I actually kept getting 1 shot by the ACE 53 the past couple of games I was playing on.

I know its a network sync issue, but I wonder what it is with that particular gun that makes it more common.

Anytime you take a large amount of damage in a short time period, the server freaks out and can report it all at once, making it feel like you died in 1 shot. The shotguns are kind of hilarious to use because you can watch people die before your gun actually fires the pellets or the damage is reported to you. If you've ever been shot by a rocket from long distance, you see the same phenomena. The game is reporting damage too fast while not feeding the clients fast enough.

So fine with it that they made it burst only in 4, same as the M4. Realism cop out reasons aside, they just caved to pressure from the community. There are many guns now like the 416 and ACE that are just flat out better than anything in 3 ever was. The AEK was actually buffed in all aspects (accuracy, reload, side to side recoil etc...).

Probably the easiest Battlefield game ever made in terms of gunplay.

Acinixys

It does 35 damage as standard. So the TTK up close is mad fast

The ACE 23 seems like it slots in correctly to me.

Lower RPM than the AEK, but easier to control.
Higher RPM than the M416, but slightly harder to control.

Up close it destroys you in no time. Playing TDM or any smaller map I keep getting downed extremely fast by it

So what are the major issues with MP?

I've been ignoring the game in anticipation to play it on PS4, but it sounds like it was really rushed. I am assuming a lot of bugs, but anything majorly bad on the gameplay/map design side?

H2Yo

Does anyone know if you can verify data in Origin?

I plan to buy an SSD and I don't want to have to redownload the whole game. With steam you can drag files into the steam app folder and just verify the data and it works.

HariKari

Does anyone know if you can verify data in Origin?

I plan to buy an SSD and I don't want to have to redownload the whole game. With steam you can drag files into the steam app folder and just verify the data and it works.

I did this for my SSD. Move the 'Origin Games' folder over to the SSD, then 'download' the game. Origin will see that it is already there, install it, update it, and you are good to go.

I've been ignoring the game in anticipation to play it on PS4, but it sounds like it was really rushed. I am assuming a lot of bugs, but anything majorly bad on the gameplay/map design side?

Console players will probably love the additional accuracy and reduced recoil. Guns like the SAR are noncompetitive on the PC but could be very popular on consoles. The netcode is a mess right now, but they are working on it. PC is getting its first big patch in about five hours, so we will see if that helps address the network issues. I fully expect the PS4 and XB1 versions to have some teething issues out of the box. Gameplay is fine although I could do without the additional grenade spam and really poor collision mechanics that make movement/shooting a bitch and a half sometimes.

Still a tremendously fun game, which is what makes the showstopping bugs all the more heartbreaking. I've got 70+ hours in so far, and it's a blast. But there are some serious issues there, some of which are part of the core design like the server side hit detection. Game needed a few more months worth of polish.

Heysoos

So what are the major issues with MP?

There's some nasty bugs, like a QBU-88 with a Silencer makes ALL the players in match lose their sound, a lot of crash to desktop, and terrible netcode.

Gameplay/map design wise, I hope you're not a fan of Rush because it is pretty much shit for Attackers, I had one match where the Defenders were pretty much mortaring our spawn zone non stop. There's some weird shitty spawning locations that will leave you scratching your head. Also, this is just my opinion, but some maps aren't properly balanced. Like with a competent team it's not that big of an issue, but there are some maps where it's much easier to spawn lock one side than the other.

But honestly, overall It's a great game, that probably needed a teeny bit more time to iron out some of the bigger issues before hitting the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom