• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, saw that but it came with the BF4 pre-order. I take it you don't need it?

You didn't state it was for BF3, I clarified in case someone thought they were getting a BF4 air vehicle unlock code.

scogoth

Lag
io9TUe3JF11R8.gif

And fail knife because of lag
i2cxDwbKpm8VR.gif

I <3 DICE netcode...

TheSeks

And fail knife because of lag

I <3 DICE netcode...

Yeah that shit is majorly annoying. Go for a knife to the back only for them to 180 around right as you're pressing the knife button and killing you because someone spotted you right as you were going for them and DICE's netcode says "yep, you don't get that knife."

scogoth

Yeah that shit is majorly annoying. Go for a knife to the back only for them to 180 around right as you're pressing the knife button and killing you because someone spotted you right as you were going for them and DICE's netcode says "yep, you don't get that knife."

It's ok, I got to make up for it the following round

ibfJQxghcNJ1F4.gif

TheSeks

Yeah, when the knife animations work it's completely satisfying nailing that knife. I was a knife fiend in BF3 because of it, but BF4's netcode needs to be fixed before I worry about knifing most of the time now a days.

I miss BF3's "get behind them and stab them in the heart and grab their dogtags on the knife" animation. While BF4's are good, that BF3 one is classic.

I don't miss the stabbing them up their throat while on the ground animation from BF3, meanwhile. BF4's prone knife animations seem better.

Ocho

Joining the GIF craze.

In closer inspection, Spl1inter, I shouldn't have landed that shot. Maybe the GIF is too small to appreciate, though. It's unfortunate I didn't record two previous heli shots I made earlier of higher difficulty.

iq5IizXUjoAtJ.gif

Stantron

Should probably also mention it's for PSN.

Damn, lol. Yeah, I have BF3 on PC. Much thanks for the PM with code, but I can't/won't use it. Feel free to give it to someone who will use it. BF3 was free for PS+ members a while back so I'm sure there will be someone who would want it.

HariKari

Does it feel like sometimes no matter how hard you try in some servers, someone always has the drop on you? yeah..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4BFyrH0ZxU

FairFight must have been off on that server, because it will ban guys like this almost instantly. As a long time admin, there simply aren't as many hackers in BF4 as there was in BF3. A lot of 'hacking' can be explained by bad players complaining about good ones. This sort of 360 aimbotting is rare and easily detected in the stats, so this guy isn't going be around long.

This was also in the beta, not release. FairFight wasn't enabled in beta, nor was Punkbuster. So you can come off your ledge now.

Didn't know all of BF4 GAF was recording video. We should all record matches and make some teamplay vids.

I need to try out Shadowplay. I keep forgetting.

Console players will probably love the additional accuracy and reduced recoil. Guns like the SAR are noncompetitive on the PC but could be very popular on consoles.

Actually, playing on PS4, I DID notice that there seemed to be less recoil, and maybe less health? I didn't like it one bit, but I figured I was imagining it?

Leatherface

FairFight must have been off on that server, because it will ban guys like this almost instantly. As a long time admin, there simply aren't as many hackers in BF4 as there was in BF3. A lot of 'hacking' can be explained by bad players complaining about good ones. This sort of 360 aimbotting is rare and easily detected in the stats, so this guy isn't going be around long.

This was also in the beta, not release. FairFight wasn't enabled in beta, nor was Punkbuster. So you can come off your ledge now.

I skipped BF3 so I don't know how bad it was, but it is obvious and apparent when there are hackers haunting a match. I've been around enough games to know where I stand on the skill tree compared to others. I'm not great, I'm middle of the road. In any case. I thought the footage was interesting so I posted it. It *may* have been an extreme example I suppose, but I'm sure plenty of people get away with having everyone on the whole mapped tagged to enhance that kill ratio. I would bet money.

Not knocking the game itself though. I think when it plays as it should the experience is sublime. Whether I'm playing well or not, it's an absolute blast. I guess I'm just a little frustrated hackers ruining these game experiences so quickly. I think my friends and I are going to split a server rental for 6 months to see how it goes. Maybe with a little more admin control, we can at least attempt to keep the experience a little more pure.

Edit: The other reason I posted the video, is because I didn't realize you can jump in as a spectator and watch certain players. That is awesome! So if I *think* someone is hacking I can just watch them for awhile and see for myself. It puts the power in the players hands and I think that can help a lot.

Nori Chan

ugh seriously?

I was looking forward to it. love that gun. need to get 45 kills with that thing for my last achievement too.

lame.
Same I loved it in bf3 and had nearly 1000 kills with it but I just couldn't get a feel with it. It felt so weak and I couldn't snipe people with it like I could in bf3

HariKari

I skipped BF3 so I don't know how bad it was, but it is obvious and apparent when there are hackers haunting a match. I've been around enough games to know where I stand on the skill tree compared to others. I'm not great, I'm middle of the road. In any case. I thought the footage was interesting so I posted it. The video I posted was an extreme example I suppose, but I'm sure plenty of people get away with having everyone on the whole mapped tagged to enhance that kill ratio. I would bet money.

There have been no hacks, to my knowledge, that work with the actual release version of the game in this manner. Wallhacks? Sure, but no obvious botters. FairFight is capable of scanning the stats backend and seeing discrepancies, like that guy and his likely absurd headshot to kill ratio, and quickly banning them. I've seen it firsthand, and DICE has posted that the hack forums they monitor are shaken by this new system that seems to ban every aimbot they can come up with.

Also, the whole map being tagged is how spectator mode looks. It had nothing to do with that guys hacks. Which leads me into...

I guess I'm just a little frustrated hackers ruining these game experiences so quickly.
I think my friends and I are going to split a server rental for 6 months to see how it goes. Maybe with a little more admin control, we can at least attempt to keep the experience a little more pure.

If you didn't even know the above, do you even know what to look for? I really doubt it. I play competitively, and I've been an admin in pretty much every shooter I've played going back to CS' early days. There are far fewer hackers in Battlefield 4 than there are three. People 'get the drop on you' because there is spotting, sensors, scans, and an easily read minimap. The only thing more damaging to the community than hackers is bad admins. I don't know you, or how critical of an eye you have, but buying a server just to run it as your own playground is not a good idea.

My experience to date has been pretty damn pure. I know what a good player is capable of and when I am being cheated. Subtle wallhackers are hard to make out in a game with so much minimap usage, but if they are there, I'm not noticing them. I've yet to run across a botter that lasted more than a few minutes in a FF/PB server. I'll give DICE credit here, after myself and others gave some of the devs that post on reddit the riot act over how little it seemed they cared about Battlefield 3 hackers.

Really, the netcode is the biggest problem facing the game right now. I wish it were hackers, because good admins can handle that. But right now we need DICE to get their shit together and fix the network issues if this game is going to last.

Proof of stats. Early leaderboard before everyone started gaming it. I'm at 670 skill now without team stacking:

RupmqmS.jpg

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/tCo-HaRiiKaRii/stats/228364679/pc/

So the m1911 is shit in this game

Such a shame :(

Seems fine to me. Although the .45 pistols turn into airsoft guns past 20 meters or so.

scogoth

I think my friends and I are going to split a server rental for 6 months to see how it goes. Maybe with a little more admin control, we can at least attempt to keep the experience a little more pure.

I would think twice before dropping money on a server. While its fun to have your own server setup the way you want, it is very difficult to get a server to have a constant community of players to play on it. Unless you already have a community of players from a clan or have a lot of friends willing to play on an empty server all the time then the server will most likely go unused.

I've been a fiend with taking out choppers with the SRAW today. It's so satisfying. I just wish I could have recorded those moments. :(

In other news, for the first time in BF4, I finally sniped my first heli pilot out of a chopper today. Also very satisfying.

Skeyser

So fine with it that they made it burst only in 4, same as the M4. Realism cop out reasons aside, they just caved to pressure from the community. There are many guns now like the 416 and ACE that are just flat out better than anything in 3 ever was. The AEK was actually buffed in all aspects (accuracy, reload, side to side recoil etc...).

It's not like they're bringing back the M16A3 in an expansion, oh wait. Also I don't know what you're smoking if you think the M416 is better than anything in BF3. You're probably not taking into account that no attachments even come close to how good the HB was in BF3.

It's just silly to claim that ARs are more accurate in BF4 than they were in BF3.

Xyber

The only thing more damaging to the community than hackers is bad admins.

Quoted for truth. I am not a great player, but I can do quite well most of time. Some games I'm just on a roll, but that does not roll with admins. I've been banned from so many servers in BF3 because of "cheating" that it's laughable.

If they were to check my stats before banning they would know I'm not a damn cheater. I had a whopping 1.75 K/D ratio with a high, but reasonable (because PTFO gets you points), SPM of 624. That just screams cheater, don't it? :p

Also, I checked your stats and it looks like you really like to grind in Domination on Op. Locker with that SPM and revives. And the fact that you hide your game history probably indicates that you really like Operation Locker, but don't want people to see just how much. ;)

I wouldn't be able to play the game like that myself, but I'm not here to tell you to stop having fun if that's what you enjoy! :p

HariKari

If they were to check my stats before banning they would know I'm not a damn cheater. I had a whopping 1.75 K/D ratio with a high, but reasonable (because PTFO gets you points), SPM of 624. That just screams cheater, don't it? :p

The biggest tell that someone is botting is their accuracy and other stats that aren't visible on Battlelog. If you have mechanical accuracy to where every automatic weapon is +/- 0.10% accuracy of each other, you are probably cheating.

Also, I checked your stats and it looks like you really like to grind in Domination on Op. Locker with that SPM and revives. And the fact that you hide your game history probably indicates that you really like Operation Locker, but don't want people to see just how much. ;)

I don't 'hide' my game history. It's visible to friends only, by default, and If I turn it on it will only show you new games. You're welcome to add me if you want. But I actually hate lockers. If I had the option, I'd take it out of the rotation of my favorite servers. The conquest version plays really badly, and I'm not sure why guys like it. I never liked conquest metro, but loved the Rush version, for what it's worth. I love Flood Zone, though. Great domination map.

This is for you

By the way, I don't exclusively play assault.

I wouldn't be able to play the game like that myself, but I'm not here to tell you to stop having fun if that's what you enjoy! :p

I really dislike the rock-paper-scissors gameplay of conquest and conquest large. Those modes also tend to attract the "I fucking love sniping" guys who sit in a tower or hill all game and don't help the team. It forces me to play engineer to deal with all the vehicles and that just isn't fun. Rush is unfortunately terribly balanced this time around, so I've been playing domination until they get that sorted out. It lets me get my infantry on and play with the squad mechanic.

Spl1nter

It's not like they're bringing back the M16A3 in an expansion, oh wait. Also I don't know what you're smoking if you think the M416 is better than anything in BF3. You're probably not taking into account that no attachments even come close to how good the HB was in BF3.

It's just silly to claim that ARs are more accurate in BF4 than they were in BF3.

Ya the m16 in bf3 with hbar and fore grip is considerably better than anything in bf4. Increased vertical recoil makes the hbar a lot harder to control in bf4.

To put it into perspective the aek with hbar in bf3 has 2/3 the recoil of the base m416 in bf4 while being more than 100% accurate with less spread increase per shot.

Quoted for truth. I am not a great player, but I can do quite well most of time. Some games I'm just on a roll, but that does not roll with admins. I've been banned from so many servers in BF3 because of "cheating" that it's laughable.

Hari and I play occasionally. I'm pretty much a Locker whore at the moment, and every time he joins me he asks, "legato why the fuck are you playing lockers -- i hate this shit"

He's not a big fan of Locker

Grief.exe

Ya the m16 in bf3 with hbar and fore grip is considerably better than anything in bf4. Increased vertical recoil makes the hbar a lot harder to control in bf4.

I have a feeling they are going to bump the vertical recoil penalty down on the HBAR considerably.
They took the best part of the HBAR away then nerfed it down, no reason to use it right now.

What decides who wins the face-to-face knife fights?

Spamming F for the attackee.

DarkFlow

Banned
There have been no hacks, to my knowledge, that work with the actual release version of the game in this manner. Wallhacks? Sure, but no obvious botters. FairFight is capable of scanning the stats backend and seeing discrepancies, like that guy and his likely absurd headshot to kill ratio, and quickly banning them. I've seen it firsthand, and DICE has posted that the hack forums they monitor are shaken by this new system that seems to ban every aimbot they can come up with.

Also, the whole map being tagged is how spectator mode looks. It had nothing to do with that guys hacks. Which leads me into...

If you didn't even know the above, do you even know what to look for? I really doubt it. I play competitively, and I've been an admin in pretty much every shooter I've played going back to CS' early days. There are far fewer hackers in Battlefield 4 than there are three. People 'get the drop on you' because there is spotting, sensors, scans, and an easily read minimap. The only thing more damaging to the community than hackers is bad admins. I don't know you, or how critical of an eye you have, but buying a server just to run it as your own playground is not a good idea.

My experience to date has been pretty damn pure. I know what a good player is capable of and when I am being cheated. Subtle wallhackers are hard to make out in a game with so much minimap usage, but if they are there, I'm not noticing them. I've yet to run across a botter that lasted more than a few minutes in a FF/PB server. I'll give DICE credit here, after myself and others gave some of the devs that post on reddit the riot act over how little it seemed they cared about Battlefield 3 hackers.

Really, the netcode is the biggest problem facing the game right now. I wish it were hackers, because good admins can handle that. But right now we need DICE to get their shit together and fix the network issues if this game is going to last.

Proof of stats. Early leaderboard before everyone started gaming it. I'm at 670 skill now without team stacking:

RupmqmS.jpg

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/tCo-HaRiiKaRii/stats/228364679/pc/

Seems fine to me. Although the .45 pistols turn into airsoft guns past 20 meters or so.

Remind me to never play vs you.

I have a feeling they are going to bump the vertical recoil penalty down on the HBAR considerably.
They took the best part of the HBAR away then nerfed it down, no reason to use it right now.

Spamming F for the attackee.

I thought you can no longer spam it?

If I remember right, they changed it so the counter only flashes for a second, and if you hit it early you fail. It was way too easy in beta.

Cheers

Getting knifed from the back is still an instant kill though right?

If knifed from the side, does it count as an attack from the back or from the front?

Xyber

I don't 'hide' my game history. It's visible to friends only, by default, and If I turn it on it will only show you new games. You're welcome to add me if you want. But I actually hate lockers. If I had the option, I'd take it out of the rotation of my favorite servers. The conquest version plays really badly, and I'm not sure why guys like it. I never liked conquest metro, but loved the Rush version, for what it's worth. I love Flood Zone, though. Great domination map.

This is for you

Fair enough, I'm so used to seeing people just keep on grinding on Metro/Locker and I just don't get what they get out of the game by standing at a chokepoint for half the game.

I really dislike the rock-paper-scissors gameplay of conquest and conquest large. Those modes also tend to attract the "I fucking love sniping" guys who sit in a tower or hill all game and don't help the team. It forces me to play engineer to deal with all the vehicles and that just isn't fun. Rush is unfortunately terribly balanced this time around, so I've been playing domination until they get that sorted out. It lets me get my infantry on and play with the squad mechanic.

For me it's pretty much the opposite, I love that gameplay (as long as you are playing with a competent squad that is..) and Engineer is my go-to class because I really like to blow up all the vehicles.

I have been "enjoying" Rush, but that's because I've only played it with a squad where we all were talking on Mumble and we just steamrolled the other team to victory every game. For some reason, wookies really like that game mode and they just don't want to win. Attacker? I'm gonna sit here on a rock in my spawn together with 4 other snipers and not even try to attack. Every. Single. Game.

One competent squad is usually all it takes to lock out their entire team from winning in Rush, which is both sad and great because it shows that teamwork really works.

i hate playing on a team who wont fucking spot players. fuck!

That is the worst, yeah. Even on 360 playing BC2 my first instinct as soon as I saw someone was to spot them, even if it meant letting go of the stick to press Back. I got so used to it that I started doing it in all games for a while.
On PC, this is better since you just move the ring finger from A to Q and I'm doing that in all situations without even thinking.

HariKari

I don't get how you guys play only cq dom with the current net code issues.

Some of the maps are actually kind of open right now. On Hainan you can legitimately be a bushwookie if you want. It's not nearly as small as domination was in BF3. The spawns are better on all but a few maps. Above 32 players it gets messy.

Remind me to never play vs you.

I get accused a lot. But I do wonder sometimes if I ruin the games for others. I know I hate going up against other tryhards who run nothing but 416/AEK/ACE and constantly revive. I'll at least use some of the lolbad guns to mix things up and have fun. I see the appeal of consoles, where most guys don't have ten years of shooters to their resume. It probably ends up being more fun and relaxing. I started with Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear and never stopped. What chance does someone brand new to keyboard + mouse have?

Grief.exe

That is the worst, yeah. Even on 360 playing BC2 my first instinct as soon as I saw someone was to spot them, even if it meant letting go of the stick to press Back. I got so used to it that I started doing it in all games for a while.
On PC, this is better since you just move the ring finger from A to Q and I'm doing that in all situations without even thinking.

I was hitting Q in L4D2 the other night and it just kept switching my weapon.

I get accused a lot. But I do wonder sometimes if I ruin the games for others. I know I hate going up against other tryhards who run nothing but 416/AEK/ACE and constantly revive. I'll at least use some of the lolbad guns to mix things up and have fun. I see the appeal of consoles, where most guys don't have ten years of shooters to their resume. It probably ends up being more fun and relaxing. I started with Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear and never stopped. What chance does someone brand new to keyboard + mouse have?

I feel like if I am not playing shooters constantly I lose my skill with the mouse so fast. The muscle memory just goes out the window so quickly. Its frustrating.

Do you have any advice on combating this?

HariKari

If knifed from the side, does it count as an attack from the back or from the front?

Each direction and state (prone, crouched, standing) has its own animations. You can only counter frontal stabs if you are standing or crouched. I've actually turned into someone who was close to me when crouched and triggered a counter, saving my life. There are videos of all these different animations on youtube.

I feel like if I am not playing shooters constantly I lose my skill with the mouse so fast. The muscle memory just goes out the window so quickly. Its frustrating.

Do you have any advice on combating this?

Depends on how long you've been playing. I've got a baseline skillset that, should I take a year off and play RTS or whatever, will gradually come back to me. If you never really build that comfort with KB+Mouse there's not much you can do. But if you do find yourself playing at a high level and end up taking a break, make sure your setup is similar when you return. I'm talking mouse, sitting position, mousepad, sensitivity, favorite gun. If you want to develop your skills, set those up and don't change them for weeks on end. Become one with whatever setup you've chosen. Don't change the attachments, your squad perks, or even your pistol. Just continually use the same thing and eventually it will be second nature.

You need a decent mouse and keyboard to really get up there. A $10 wireless logitech just won't cut it. Raw input on, always. No motion blur, FOV at least 90. Keep things constant and it will feel like a well worn glove you can slip into whenever you want.

esai

I hate playing on a team when attacking on rush everyone is a damn sniper. It's hard to destroy MCOMs by yourself.
I was playing team dm on whatever map it is that floods and everyone was a sniper. Only a few support and me the medic. Are there such thing as no recon servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom