• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

HariKari

Dang, and here I thought the sound cutting out was just an issue with my system.. that's a relief. I hate that first point.. along with the 'mutual killing due to poor netcode'.

In the few post patch rounds I played, there was less mutual killing. I was able to escape with 10-30 health in fights where you should win. Guys were not getting 50 damage worth of free hits on me, even when I had the drop on them. Not sure if they just sucked that hard, or if the netcode improved.

Another server update (R10) is going out now, so there's that.

Xyber

Where are the full patch notes? Main issues for me are:

Getting shot after running behind cover (netcode).
Client crashes.
Sound going off in certain maps.

Have they been addressed?

Sound bug is still there, same with client crashes. The 2 games I played felt a little better. I played domination and I didn't have a single kill where we both died. But that's just some short testing on one server.

One thing I did notice was how popular the ACE 23 is in domination and how incredibly OP it is right now.. It seriously feels like you are being 1-shotted constantly and it's only when dying from that gun.

Grief.exe

Where are the full patch notes? Main issues for me are:

Getting shot after running behind cover (netcode).
Client crashes.
Sound going off in certain maps.

Have they been addressed?

There is a battleog thread that shouldn't be hard to find. Theoretically, all three were addressed in the patch, apparently an optimization pass went through as well.

Reckoner

My game just crashed and I encountered a bug on Flood Zone where I got stuck under the garage and died.

Also, what is the optimal setting for Network Smoothing?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Netcode just as bad as it was. Get used to it, same problems as in BF3, isn't going to magically change unless they change their model---which isn't going to happen in BF4.

Servers crashing like crazy, think R10 stopped that, at least I just spent 5 rounds or so on the same 64p server, no server crashes.

No client crashes all morning which is either a really long string of good luck for me or evidence that they fixed my crashes. Fingers crossed!

I've been extremely lucky and I've only had 2 client crashes since launch. Now reading some of the patch feedback on their official forums and I'm afraid when I get home, my luck will suddenly run out.

Grief.exe

When it comes to Network smoothing its at 50 by default, should your average ping in servers matter when setting it lower or higher ?

If you are on low-ping servers, then you can reduce the smoothing to 0-10%.

If on higher-ping servers then you can leave it where it is.

If you are on low-ping servers, then you can reduce the smoothing to 0-10%.

If on higher-ping servers then you can leave it where it is.

Was hoping to get some solid numbers to adjust :p

Since there isn't any local servers here I play on German servers which get me ~100ms.

Sethos

Banned
When it comes to Network smoothing its at 50 by default, should your average ping in servers matter when setting it lower or higher ?

No, there's nothing you can 'base it on', it's entirely a personal preference. Network Smoothing is just another word for interpolation, which is an algorithm that draws a 'predicted' path of the other players based on the location which is registered by the server. However the server register locations too slow to make it look smooth. So setting it to zero would make people practically skip around because you are given the information which the server has. ( So on a low ping server you do get the information faster, which makes it looker smoother but it still won't be perfect ).

<Server Updates> Movement Skips <Server Updates> Movement Skips <Server Updates> Movement Skips

Increasing the smoothing bar makes movement of players look a lot smoother but it's based on an algorithm. So it may not be 100% accurate to their actual position of all times. He may be 1ft behind where you are actually seeing him;

<Server Updates> <Interpolation Algorithm> <Server Updates> <Interpolation Algorithm>

However there's still some lag compensation / hit-detection that is based from the algorithm. So it's not like they become completely invincible when between the location updates.

There's a lot going on but I suggest keeping it in the 40-60% ballpark personally.

( Hope that made any sense )

Woo-Fu

Banned
Was the Shanghai crash fixed in any of these patches? So I can put it back into the rotation.

I played one round today and didn't crash when the tower fell---I almost always do. Looking at the scoreboard each team was down about 5 players(64 player server). I didn't check right before the crash so can't be sure those were crash victims or people who weren't there to begin with. Oh wait, let me look at the report.

Looking at the report it appears only 2 people left the entire match, I'd say the tower crash is fixed. I hope so. I think Shanghai is the best map in the game and only one of two worth playing Attack Helicopter on. :)

I played one round today and didn't crash when the tower fell---I almost always do. Looking at the scoreboard each team was down about 5 players(64 player server). I didn't check right before the crash so can't be sure those were crash victims or people who weren't there to begin with. Oh wait, let me look at the report.

Looking at the report it appears only 2 people left the entire match, I'd say the tower crash is fixed. I hope so. I think Shanghai is the best map in the game and only one of two worth playing Attack Helicopter on. :)

That's good news. I actually enjoy Shanghai quite a bit. I'd love to see it pop up more on servers.

Sethos

Banned

Cool, thanks man. Will put it back into the rotation.

No, there's nothing you can 'base it on', it's entirely a personal preference. Network Smoothing is just another word for interpolation, which is an algorithm that draws a 'predicted' path of the other players based on the location which is registered by the server. However the server register locations too slow to make it look smooth. So setting it to zero would make people practically skip around because you are given the information which the server has. ( So on a low ping server you do get the information faster, which makes it looker smoother but it still won't be perfect ).

<Server Updates> Movement Skips <Server Updates> Movement Skips <Server Updates> Movement Skips

Increasing the smoothing bar makes movement of players look a lot smoother but it's based on an algorithm. So it may not be 100% accurate to their actual position of all times. He may be 1ft behind where you are actually seeing him;

<Server Updates> <Interpolation Algorithm> <Server Updates> <Interpolation Algorithm>

However there's still some lag compensation / hit-detection that is based from the algorithm. So it's not like they become completely invincible when between the location updates.

There's a lot going on but I suggest keeping it in the 40-60% ballpark personally.

( Hope that made any sense )

It did and thanks for the explanation.

Gonna try out %20 next time I play and if I see a lot of skipping I'm going back to 50.

Grief.exe

Played 3 games so far this morning. No mid-game freezes so far. Crash out after every game finishes though. Progress.

Same

Also, my performance has seemed to increase significantly. I seem to be getting a 40+ FPS increase. Maybe we were really playing a paid-beta.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Not a single mention about fixing the most broken mode in the game, Defuse? Thanks DICE ...

Soldier, no war was won in a day. We've won some key battles here today. We landed a vicious strike on server crashes. The fog of war has been lifted with other minor victories. True, the enemy has struck back and redoubled their efforts in other operating theaters that we didn't anticipate. However, we must stay true to the mission and keep our eyes on the horizon. Victory is close. One day our enemies will be vanquished and smooth, lag-free FPS bad assery will be available to all men, women, and children who inhabit this great rock called Earth.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Not a single mention about fixing the most broken mode in the game, Defuse? Thanks DICE ...
Theyre focusing on stability first which is a good thing.
Give it some time, BF3 took a while to become awesome too.

Ocho

I don't understand people who play only Domination or Operation Locker. Vehicle warfare IS Battlefield, if you are not good @ Conquest, you ain't really a true BF soldier, to me anyway.

I really dislike Operation Locker. :(

Crisco

Banned
lol so nothing was fixed?

Remember the days when developers couldn't rely on the internet to deliver patches, and had to actually try and release a working game? Yeah, neither do I :(

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Anyone have any experience using the commander mode on a console?

Seems like it would be a bit rough using a controller to do it. Has it been optimized for controller use?

scogoth

I don't understand people who play only Domination or Operation Locker. Vehicle warfare IS Battlefield, if you are not good @ Conquest, you ain't really a true BF soldier, to me anyway.

'bout time someone said something sensible

Leb

I'm not going to lie, I'm a little disappointed that it took them 16 days to release a patch for game-breaking issues... which, it turns out, has largely failed to address these game-breaking issues, while also introducing some new serious bugs.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
hehe

xkw6YCF.png

Killigath

Sever crashes or client crashes?

Seems like server crashes to me. The Red bar comes up at the bottom and allows you to hit the Reconnect button. Then there are usually 20 people in queue to join right after. Seems to me like the servers are dumping everyone just before the next match loads.

I suppose its possible that the new server patches are rolling out and causing restarts after matches. But what are the odds if its happened 4 times in a row?

Seems like server crashes to me. The Red bar comes up at the bottom and allows you to hit the Reconnect button. Then there are usually 20 people in queue to join right after. Seems to me like the servers are dumping everyone just before the next match loads.

Ok, that's what I've heard, while server crashes suck, I'll take them over increased client crashes everyday because it doesn't take 2+ weeks for server patches to go live.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yep looks like its crashing with every map change. Constantly being dumped out and then you get like 15 - 20 people in a queue. Fuck me DICE.

DICE... how is this so fucking hard? Couldn't you basically copy and paste a lot of the netcode from BF3 and fix it up a bit and BAM it works?

Unbelievable. DICE exceeding its own standards in launching busted video games. I'm really upset reading about this long awaited client update.

If SimCity got hammered by the press then I'm disappointed in anyone who gave this game more than a 5/10. Publishers don't give a fuck about their customers' backlash, but they do care about Metacritic averages. We are talking about a game that's been out for 16 days now and it still suffers from game breaking bugs and that's if you are even able to play at all.

cripterion

Getting some weird texture bugs after this patch. Didn't crash but the server did :p

Fuck! Trying to play here but servers still crashing, I just can't... gonna go grab a beer to fucking calm myself.

Tak3n

Banned
what is the setting that turns of that constant blurring effect on conquest, do you know what I mean where the screen goes all fuzzy happens if you just stand there etc, I presume it has to do with the commotion going on...

driving me nuts

I only play Conquest 64-48 players, Operation is just an auto quit server look for something else.

what is the setting that turns of that constant blurring effect on conquest, do you know what I mean where the screen goes all fuzzy happens if you just stand there etc, I presume it has to do with the commotion going on...

driving me nuts

You're being suppressed (shot at)

Tak3n

Banned
so, the burning question I have is what is better than the M249 as support, I played through the campaign to get this, all the unlocks are now locked to Battlepacks (stupid idea)

I just got the PKP is that worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom