• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Are the servers going to be this bad on PS4 and Xbox One? I kinda fear to play this game tomorrow.

Nothing to indicate their wouldn't be issues. EA probably bit off more than they could chew with this one, 5 versions and releasing them early in order to beat COD.

Its pretty obvious we have been playing a beta, represented by the server and performance issues.

These companies don't know what a beta is. A beta is a build MONTHS prior to release. Having a beta in October should be a release candidate. On the console side of things, Bungie has always fucking done this right. Plenty of PC devs that also understand the concept. DICE probably does, but EA sure doesn't. Not sure if I wanna unwrap my PS4 copy after all this.

Are the servers going to be this bad on PS4 and Xbox One? I kinda fear to play this game tomorrow.
If you do buy it and it turns out to be just as awful as any other version (this will be the case), then you totally will get what you deserve: a dry, $60 ass fucking from your pals at EA and DICE.

Don't do it. Show some respect for yourself and the time you spend working to earn your money.

njean777

My friend was playing on PS3 and the servers seemed fine, the game looked bad, but he played about 4 matches in a row and didn't have any significant problems at all.

Whether this applies to ps4/xbox one we will just have to wait and see. I expect it to be a shit show of epic proportions. This may be the last BF game I buy until 3 or 4 months after launch.

X-Frame

I'm glad I at least got my PS4 version from Amazon for free with their promotion, otherwise I would have gone with something else, geez.

Grief.exe

My friend was playing on PS3 and the servers seemed fine, the game looked bad, but he played about 4 matches in a row and didn't have any significant problems at all.

Whether this applies to ps4/xbox one we will just have to wait and see. I expect it to be a shit show of epic proportions. This may be the last BF game I buy until 3 or 4 months after launch.

Consoles are also suffering the same issues right now.

I'm glad I at least got my PS4 version from Amazon for free with their promotion, otherwise I would have gone with something else, geez.

Not really free, you just received a discount based upon how many games you bought.

Can't remember whether Amazon's deal was B2G1 or B1G1.

Has anyone played the PS4 version?

I played a good bit last night. I tried to hop in to multiplayer but there was only like 5 people total playing. It looked great but I did notice a good bit of rubberbanding in vehicles on a few servers. When I got into a non-laggy server, the jets and helicopters felt amazing. It must be due to the 60 fps because it felt smooth and responsive. I just stuck with single player for the rest of the night due to the low player count. Any more specific questions? I'll try again tonight.

From reddit DICE dev

Hi,
I agree with you all, this is bad. We have identified the bug that causes the round transition crash and a fix is rolling out (its not a new server but a new config).
We do have test servers up from time to time to test the servers before they roll out. We could not do this with R9 as it required the new client patch and we rushed out R10 to fix another crash fix.
We are discussing internally how we can improve this in the future. One idea is to more extensively have the community help out (those who want to) to test new builds.

FamilyGuy-ComputerMonkeys.jpg

If you do buy it and it turns out to be just as awful as any other version (this will be the case), then you totally will get what you deserve: a dry, $60 ass fucking from your pals at EA and DICE.

Don't do it. Show some respect for yourself and the time you spend working to earn your money.
I've already bought it and I've had it since Tuesday. Might have been a bad idea, but if there are problems and they don't fix their shit, then there's no way in hell I'd buy premium.

meshwork

I hope it stays this way. Some ticket counts were stupidly large.

If you want to increase your blood pressure, go check the comments on this topic on reddit. Calling the backslash to these changes huge wouldn't even be exaggerating it. It's full of people angry for not having 1000 ticket servers (although you can still have them, just not ranked). Official is exactly what it says: DICE approved official servers. Whining about your popular 70 man TDM server having low ticket counts as an official server just boggles my mind.

The ticket counts are meant for the player counts DICE thought were optimal, of course it's going to be stupid to play with those ticket counts with more players, but that's exactly the point. Custom games should be custom games, and I for one much prefer to play the game the way it was designed to be played. Coming from BF3 I can understand the restrictions because in the end of its cycle that game seemed to only have fast-vehicle respawn 1000 ticket servers in CQ. I do agree that the limitations on ranked servers are a bit harsh, but the limitations on official servers are very welcome at least.

Crisco

Banned
From reddit DICE dev

Hi,
I agree with you all, this is bad. We have identified the bug that causes the round transition crash and a fix is rolling out (its not a new server but a new config).
We do have test servers up from time to time to test the servers before they roll out. We could not do this with R9 as it required the new client patch and we rushed out R10 to fix another crash fix.
We are discussing internally how we can improve this in the future. One idea is to more extensively have the community help out (those who want to) to test new builds.

lol this reads like an email I'd send my boss about why shit isn't working yet when the real answer is "i'm lazy and have been watching youtube videos the last 3 days, deal with it".

Grief.exe

This strange majority of people just love to play 64 man Metro/Lockers 1000 ticket count all day.

Its because they don't have to make any difficult decisions, only have to aim down hallways, and get revived constantly.

The ultimate battlefield experience for the lowest common denominator.

This strange majority of people just love to play 64 man Metro/Lockers 1000 ticket count all day.

Its because they don't have to make any difficult decisions, only have to aim down hallways, and get revived all day.

+

iso135

Its because they don't have to make any difficult decisions, only have to aim down hallways, and get revived all day.

Ashamed to admit this is me... sometimes...

I still love conquest on all maps and am usually towards the top of the scoreboard (not from K/D but more from healing/reviving/throwing ammo etc.)

zma1013

lol this reads like an email I'd send my boss about why shit isn't working yet when the real answer is "i'm lazy and have been watching youtube videos the last 3 days, deal with it".

Not lazy, but more like stretched thin and having to release before it was ready. Game developers are some of the hardest working people out there, especially from the stories I hear about crunch time.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, it looks like the patch made my character take LSD or something. In game vision keeps blurring in and out at a set interval.

Trippy.

zma1013

Yeah, this is the worst. It was better when Battlefield was a battlefield and not a Battlehallway.

cripterion

From reddit DICE dev

Hi,

They say/realize that now? After releasing the fourth iteration of the title???

My friend can't even play for three seconds without getting a crash to desktop. He gets a black screen with the little loading icon in the top right and then he gets booted to desktop. No error message whatsoever.

Wtf, DICE?

gossi

So the game is completely broken? Great. Guess I'll be playing Killzone instead tomorrow.

It's not completely broken for me, but it's still regularly crashing, there's new rubber banding now (I wasn't really getting it before), and I'm getting the same "LSD Vision" problem others are reporting where my characters vision blurs in and out for no reason.

Basically, it's the same as before, but with more bugs introduced. For me. I got Premium, too.

Well, it's not that strange when you consider the effect on your score per minute, and the amount of kills plus experience you get for aiming through a small opening and occasionally tossing grenades.

I occasionally play Locker, but when I do, I make some big pushes with my squadmates, not camp the chokepoints.

Am I the only one who also gets really fucking pissed off when the game crashes and all Battlelog says is "Something went wrong."? You don't even have a fucking error name for it?

Grief.exe

Locker sucks. If I wanted to play call of duty i'd have fuckin' bought call of duty. Worst map in the game by far.

I would argue that the actual gunplay in BF4 is a lot better than what exists in Call of Duty.

Locker is actually a great map on 32 man Domination. Plenty of flank points and options, not really any hallway-chokepoints like in the Conquest version.

Pryce

I played a good bit last night. I tried to hop in to multiplayer but there was only like 5 people total playing. It looked great but I did notice a good bit of rubberbanding in vehicles on a few servers. When I got into a non-laggy server, the jets and helicopters felt amazing. It must be due to the 60 fps because it felt smooth and responsive. I just stuck with single player for the rest of the night due to the low player count. Any more specific questions? I'll try again tonight.

How's the frame rate with a lot of players? I guess you can't answer until you're on a full server, but I'd like to know if possible.

Thanks!

Nameless

Who would have thought we 360 serfs would have the most stable version of BF4 so far?

I've been going back and forth about getting a PS4 this year(for Battlefield) , but worse case I end up with a broken system, controller, and game. I'm also skeptical of either next-gen console having the install base early on to do the game justice. Seems like the best option is to stay the course and upgrade next year as originally planned.

I would argue that the actual gunplay in BF4 is a lot better than what exists in Call of Duty.

Locker is actually a great map on 32 man Domination. Plenty of flank points and options, not really any hallway-chokepoints like in the Conquest version.

32 player Locker domination could use some spawn point balance though...last round I played had half my team spawning in a tiny basement room with one stairway exit (the other usual path out was marked out of bounds) while the other team camped the top of the stairs with explosives thrown down. I'm no stranger to battlefield spawn camping, but this was shooting fish in a barrel. After four deaths or so each, it finally started spawning us out of that room.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

I love playing Operation Locker in Domination and Pistol Only servers. It's a decent map IMO, especially compared to a map like Operation Metro, but only really with a lower playercount. It's certainly not a good map for 64 player Conquest. I'm going to admit I've spent quite a lot of time recently playing Domination over Rush and Conquest. Not that I don't play those modes but when I have a short bit of time to spare Domination/Team Deathmatch fits the bill perfectly. I really really like the gunplay in BF4.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Patch change log

Update #12 (Nov 14-3)
PC Client Patch Notes

NOVEMBER 14 PC GAME UPDATE PATCH NOTES
In the November 14 PC game update, we fixed a number of issues that we have been seeing in the game. The main focus in this update is on crash fixes, and you can find a detailed list of the fixes below. We will continue our efforts to eliminate issues we find in the game, so stay tuned for more updates. Let us know how this update works for you.

CRASHES & FREEZES
-Fixed a crash that would occur randomly during gameplay.
-Fixed a crash that would occur when an object is destroyed.
-Every time that a player exited a vehicle, there was a small chance that the server would crash. This has been fixed.
-Fixed an occasional crash during SP gameplay.

-Fixed a crash that would occur during level loading.
-Sometimes the game would attempt to load a model at the same time as it was being thrown out of memory. This has been fixed.
-Sometimes the game would crash after removing old bullet holes/scratch marks in the world. This has been fixed.
-Sometimes when a player or enemy was sitting in the jeep gunner entry and got killed, his body would rest on the vehicle in such a way that the physics simulation would require lots of CPU usage. This has been solved.
-Fixed a crash occurring on Flood Zone when playing Conquest Large.
-Fixed a common crash relating to surface shaders.
-Fixed a crash on Test Range that could occur when using sniper rifles.
-Fixed a common crash that occurred during map transition.
-Fixed a crash that occurred when bringing up Battlescreen in-game on the Test Range.
-Fixed a memory allocation bug that could lead to crashing.
-Fixed a single player crash that could sometimes occur when being killed by AI enemies.
-Fixed an issue where the game would get stuck in infinite loading if you got disconnected while trying to access online content.
-Fixed an issue in single player in the South China Sea mission where the game would crash when idle for more than 60 minutes.
-Fixed an issue where the game would get stuck in infinite loading if you used Win+L to lock your PC during loading.

NETWORK PERFORMANCE
Eliminated a network sync bug
If you’ve been experiencing situations in multiplayer where it appears that you are taking damage from enemies through walls, you might have been the victim of a network sync bug. In this game update, we have identified and eliminated one such bug that caused this type of gameplay experience. We are continuing to work on more multiplayer optimizations concerning network performance.

Improved Network Smoothing
We have made some improvements to the ”Network Smoothing” functionality that you can find in the OPTIONS>GAMEPLAY menu. The Network Smoothing slider governs a group of settings that aim to produce a tighter multiplayer experience based on your specific packet loss situation.

Removed network lag
In certain specific situations, network lag would be introduced when interacting with objects in the game. This has been experienced by some players during melee combat, when climbing ladders, and when operating stationary weapons. The cause for these specific network lag situations has been solved.

GAMEPLAY BALANCING
-Removed the scout helicopter at the final base for the defenders in Rush mode on Siege of Shanghai
-Adjusted a Conquest flag position on Zavod 311 that was obstructing vehicles.
-At Hainan Resort in Rush mode, defenders were given too much armor at the first base. We have removed the defender IFV at the first base, added an attacker IFV at the first base, and increased the spawn delay on the defender IFV at the third base.
-Fixed so that there is 1 revive per round Defuse, as opposed to 1 per set.
-Removed all previously placed C4 and mines after a round of Defuse to eliminate the possibility to affect the next round.

GRAPHICS
-Fixed a minor graphical error on Operation Locker.
-Fixed an issue where the in-game Battlelog would get distorted when a Commander launched an EMP attack.
-Fixed a floating container on Golmud Railway near flag C in Domination.
-Fixed an issue with the minimap in Rush mode.
-Fixed an issue in Obliteration mode where the red light flash and beep sound was not played when the bomb carrier was moving.
-Fixed an issue in Defuse where the bomb model sometimes did not display on the bomb carrier.
-Fixed minor graphical alignment issues in the Spectator Mode camera layout.
-Fixed an issue in Spectator Mode where the spectator's view incorrectly would get distorted during an EMP deployment from a Commander.

MISCELLANEOUS
-Fixed a bug that occasionally killed all sounds on the server if you fired the QBU-88 with an attached silencer.
-Fixed the issue where pressing B would bring up the console.
-Fixed an issue where the EMP effect lasted for too long on soldiers.
-Fixed an issue with an area you couldn't traverse near one of the M-COM stations in Rush mode on Siege of Shanghai.
-Fixed an issue relating to player skill levels. -Fixed an issue in Obliteration mode where the bomb would temporarily be placed in the sky after the bomb carrier was killed when swimming or in a water-based vehicle.
-Fixed an occasional jitter in the kill camera.
-Fixed so that Russian special characters are displayed properly in the chat window.
-Fixed so that the System Performance Test option is working as expected.
-Fixed a bug where a rank-up message would loop in-game
-Moved a machine gun position on Lancang Dam that was placed on top of a building that can collapse.
-Added sound when navigating the scoreboard in the End of Round screen.
-Fixed a broken ladder in Siege of Shanghai.
-Adjusted vehicle spawn locations on Dawnbreaker in Conquest mode to alleviate traffic jam.
-Fixed a flickering-issue on Siege of Shanghai when using NVidia drivers 331.52.
-Fixed a bug on Golmud Railway where a destroyed house at flag A would block gunfire.
-Fixed a Ticket count issue in Rush mode.
-Commanders can no longer erroneously try to get match-made into a game of Domination.
-If the user restarts checkpoint during the End Scene , he will receive an old objective along with the credits.
-Fixed a destruction issue on Flood Zone.
-Fixed a Rhib boat issue in one of the single player missions.
-Fixed an issue where players would respawn after getting killed and have no main weapon available.
-Fixed so you won't see the emblem of a user that you have blocked.
-Fixed an issue where you couldn't smash through the railings with a quad bike on the Dawnbreaker map.
-Added clickable buttons to the in-game Battlelog.
-Fixed a bug in single player where the player is killed if he climbs after Irish too fast up the ladder in one of the missions.
-Various other minor issues.
Too many fixes to bold!

Server update:
UPDATE #11 (Nov 14-2):
Server Update R10 rolling out
We are seeing a lot of server crashes at the moment. These are being solved by rolling out a new server patch on PC (Server Update R10). It will take a few hours for this new server version to propagate, but it should be with most servers in a matter of a couple of hours. If you are getting error messages referring to the China Rising expansion pack when trying to join a multiplayer server, please try another server. This error will only appear if a server has not yet updated from server version R9 to R10.

zma1013

"Fixed a bug that occasionally killed all sounds on the server if you fired the QBU-88 with an attached silencer."

That is one incredibly effective silencer.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me thrice and that's because you're DICE and I'll do anything for BF4 goodness.

Reckoner

I think the performance for me is a little worse. It is dropping a lot more than it was before, which is weird since there are people here that got frame rate improvements.

I play on PS3 and froze 3 times last night alone, not to mention the numerous amount of other bugs/glitches I encounter every time I play. I hope when I upgrade to PS4 it will be somewhat better, but I know I'm kidding myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom