• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

HariKari

You are so wrong.

Half of my jet kills (30.000+) were on infantry and tanks.

Sure, being strafed is a minor inconvenience, but you can't put in the work someone on the ground can. You are not going to kill a competent tank driver @100% in one pass reliably. Just not going to happen. Plenty of times a good pilot will also cause the other team to give up on the air vehicles, resulting in your team being run over on the ground. The attack jets can reliably kill tanks, so that's a little different, but it's still nowhere near as powerful as BF2. Lots of new goodies in 4, so I'm sure you will have fun.

you will surely get the chinarising

I noticed China Rising is actually the 2nd DLC, while Second Assault is the 1st. A clever ploy to get more people to buy premium and to come back to the game if they leave.

Spl1nter

I noticed China Rising is actually the 2nd DLC, while Second Assault is the 1st. A clever ploy to get more people to buy premium and to come back to the game if they leave.

Its not entirely known when the DLC are coming out other than second assault exclusive to X1 on launch day. China Rising is december. They probably will both be coming out around the same time on PC and playstation at least.

HelloMeow

Sure, being strafed is a minor inconvenience, but you can't put in the work someone on the ground can.
I disagree. The only thing you can't do in a jet is cap flags.
You are not going to kill a competent tank driver @100% in one pass reliably. Just not going to happen.
You're not going to kill any tank in one pass reliably, unless you really get some range and get a reload halfway through, but then you'll waste too much time gaining range.
Plenty of times a good pilot will also cause the other team to give up on the air vehicles, resulting in your team being run over on the ground. The attack jets can reliably kill tanks, so that's a little different, but it's still nowhere near as powerful as BF2. Lots of new goodies in 4, so I'm sure you will have fun.
If a team can't even get half of the flags, with the help of a good pilot, they don't deserve to win.

Also, the ground attack jets were quite overpowered. I really hope they didn't make them stronger in BF4.

tatsuki

Pre-ordered just a few minutes ago. I'm not even sick of Shanghai and it says I put 104 hours into the beta. I'm looking forward to playing that map just as much as the others.

Bailers

Jets had no meaningful way of impacting the ground game other than simply denying airspace to the other team. BF2 was much better in this regard. Now we've got JDAMs/dumb bombs again, it will be different. I got real good at switching from the pilot seat to the bomber seat and back again in BF2.

I have seen plenty of games where a good jet player can deny the ground to a team. A good jet player can take out tanks and other armor in an instant.

I'm not even sick of Shanghai and it says I put 104 hours into the beta.

Great googly moogly. It was only open for two weeks!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im playing BF4 tomorrow at the World Cyber Games Argentina Event.
Hopefully they have Flood Zone playable

Keasar

Finally saw some images of Dawnbreaker. Holy crap that map is basically my christmas gift! I have always for so long wanted a big map set inside a major city with tall buildings, lots of roads and alleys etc. Can't wait to play it!

Smash88

Banned
A good jet player can provide excellent support for the team. Issue is jets seem to have the steepest learning curve of any vehicle, and so having a good jet player is a rarity. Most of the time they piss around the sky shooting at each other while everybody on the ground does the actual work.

On the other hand, even an average jet player can prove useful in pressuring helis. And since helis are a bit easier to work out and ruthless against infantry, that can be valuable.

As someone who was huge into the BF3 jet scene, I can confirm this. Practising and getting good at jets took a heavy time commitment. Where I would spend an hour or two, just perfecting the 310-315 speed that is required for the perfect turning and flight, while staying purely in 3rd person view. The tournament scene was even more hardcore, where moves and "switches", ECM timing, and overall awareness of what may be occurring when you are not able to see the other jet as you turn - was key to victory.

Overall, in pub games knowing when you can pressure the jets, then helis, then ground forces is vital. It takes a lot of skill to beat other good pilots, and two good pilots could effectively cancel each other out, causing them to have terrible KDAs. But if a good pilot is in the air, you could decimate the jet opponents, while destroying the helis, and the ground forces. You were almost a one man army, but to reach that took a lot of practice, and overall skill to be able to pull that off, and most of the time you wouldn't be able to, as there is always one other good jet pilot per server.

Also anyone have any idea when you are supposed to get your BF4 keys with Greenmangaming?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can't judge BF3 rush since i never did any rush game on it except on metro alpha. And I might misunderstand but aren't we agreeing ? I do think rush is mostly intended for infantry, and dense fight on choke point; and it became even more true from bc1 to bc2 ( which is probably why bc1 had better/more open conquest maps ). Metro was just the next step.

My problem is that not only there already is game modes which focus on infantry/dense battle over choke point ( which is fine, diversity and all ), but also more than half of the conquest map are heavily done with that in mind... yet they still make it happen in the very few 'big map' in conquest too.
Between that and the licence loosing in 'scale' when it come to playable vehicule ( compared to bf1942 <3 ), I'm quite disapointed in the way things are handled ( I will avoid speaking about their position on modding, I would end up swearing far too much ).

No. Rush is intended to have vehicles and infantry fighting together for the infantry to reach a point and then for the vehicle to provide fire support on the point. That's when the mode is at it's strongest: When players are working as a team as boots on the ground and as treads on the ground/jets in the air.

The problem is, they've thrown Rush's flanking routes out the window and BC2 had the ability to "flank" by abusing out of bounds timers to get to some positions that normally wouldn't if you didn't time your out of bounds timers right.

BF3 threw that antic out the window and it's what BC2 would've been if you didn't have those "cracks" in the out of bounds armor to flank in BC2. :/

EatChildren said:
A good jet player can provide excellent support for the team. Issue is jets seem to have the steepest learning curve of any vehicle, and so having a good jet player is a rarity. Most of the time they piss around the sky shooting at each other while everybody on the ground does the actual work.

On the other hand, even an average jet player can prove useful in pressuring helis. And since helis are a bit easier to work out and ruthless against infantry, that can be valuable.

My problem is with BOTH. They're both unbalanced in ground-to-air situations if the pilots know what they're doing. Even Stingers aren't anything but an annoyance if the pilot has nerves of steel and is able to fly around buildings and mountains and stay low to "under the radar (hopefully that's gone in BF4)" break the missile lock. I know people whine about lock lock lock lock lock, but after playing Oasis in BC1 and BC2 for hours where helicopters dominate? I want nothing but ground vehicles and infantry in an "infantry only" option. Screw air vehicles.

They may have a "purpose" in countering the other and providing support to the ground, but that support could be done with another tank or set of boots. Plus, air vehicles can't arm the crates in Rush to where they're even more useless IMO outside of holding a point if they can throw hellfire at that point.

antitrop

been playing bf3 to cure the itch for bf4, but its not the same at all.
I played a few hours of Black Ops II MP tonight, for some reason. It was kind of fun.

It's like candy, a little bit once in a while is great, but too much and your teeth will fall out.

um, I purchase this day one digital on ps3 and plan on upgrading for ps4, no disc required.

so did i, but i also managed to read and also comprehend the post i was replying to. the poster was asking for the upgrade code that comes in the PS3 disk version.

the PS3 digital version has no such code, it just automatically allows you to buy the PS4 digital version for $9.99 if your PSN account has purchased the PS3 version.

urge26

so did i, but i also managed to read and also comprehend the post i was replying to. the poster was asking for the upgrade code that comes in the PS3 disk version.

the PS3 digital version has no such code, it just automatically allows you to buy the PS4 digital version for $9.99 if your PSN account has purchased the PS3 version.

no need to be a dick, I can comprehend too.... I was thinking about PS3 game sharing, but whatever.

HariKari

The problem is, they've thrown Rush's flanking routes out the window.

Rush is supposed to play in a linear fashion, with a defined frontline where you can expect combat. That's the entire appeal. Too many flanking routes, too many vehicles etc... makes for poor map balance. The Strike at Karkand maps, for example, are essentially roped off areas of the map on rush mode. Metro, on the other hand, was designed from the start to be a rush map and it plays brilliantly. Same for Damavand. Bazaar and Seine play great on rush despite being a little more conquest oriented. Caspian and Firestorm are god awful rush maps, because they are conquest maps at heart.

LevelCap says the maps are better balanced this time around for specific modes. I sure hope so.

Full disclaimer: I have never been into the 'wander around from flag to flag' style gameplay that large conquest maps encourage. Those maps tend to have far too many vehicles, forcing half of the team to play engineer. Rush is where it's at if you are good in a gunfight. If you like vehicles, play conquest. Obliteration, so far, has the focus of rush combined with the openness of conquest. Looks like a smart addition to bridge the gap.

So, I've played a ton of shooters but never Battlefield. I'm usually a terrifically average player. And I'm finally going to jump into Battlefield - any tips/hints/insights to make the first few days less painful?

When does the first DLC hit? I'm thinking of getting premium on black friday but I'd hate to have to wait 2 weeks for the new content.

moho-foe

Neo Member
So, I've played a ton of shooters but never Battlefield. I'm usually a terrifically average player. And I'm finally going to jump into Battlefield - any tips/hints/insights to make the first few days less painful?

try to get into a squad with people who know what they're doing (high points and mics) and talk to them. if you don't get into a good squad your game will suck bad.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rush is supposed to play in a linear fashion, with a defined frontline where you can expect combat. That's the entire appeal. Too many flanking routes, too many vehicles etc... makes for poor map balance. The Strike at Karkand maps, for example, are essentially roped off areas of the map on rush mode. Metro, on the other hand, was designed from the start to be a rush map and it plays brilliantly. Same for Damavand. Bazaar and Seine play great on rush despite being a little more conquest oriented. Caspian and Firestorm are god awful rush maps, because they are conquest maps at heart.

Yeah, okay, I can't take your opinion seriously. We'll have to agree to disagree because Sharqi/Oman/Caspian/Firestorm are better Rush maps than Metro by a good green country mile.

BC1's maps shit all over the "flanking choke-point for actionZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz crowd" map design BC2 started and BF3 used more of.

If attackers can't flank you get situations like Seine's hellroom of first-set B because the attackers have to throw an LAV back there to EVEN get a chance to get behind the defense that is cockblocking the front and "side" door that they can infantry run to. Because there is no "alternate out of bounds antic" flanking route to get past those two lanes. That makes it a terrible Rush map.

But if you want two-lane checking, hey... DICE is at least catering to you while I weep for the mode being "dumbed down."

And no, Obliteration, while fun, is not what Rush is supposed to be.

LevelCap says the maps are better balanced this time around for specific modes. I sure hope so.

They're still using the same maps for ALL modes, I won't hold my breath on this.

Full disclaimer: I have never been into the 'wander around from flag to flag' style gameplay that large conquest maps encourage. Those maps tend to have far too many vehicles, forcing half of the team to play engineer. Rush is where it's at if you are good in a gunfight. If you like vehicles, play conquest. Obliteration, so far, has the focus of rush combined with the openness of conquest. Looks like a smart addition to bridge the gap.

Full disclaimer: Having played Rush for 800+ hours in BC1-2 and BF3: Engineer trains still happen on Vehicle included maps AND Metro for RPG-7 spam in third set B's hallway. If anything, Rush moves Engineer trains to Medic trains if the players are smart to refund tickets to where they draw the game out for far longer it normally would be.

People are going to be people and play the "easy mode" class no matter how detrimental it is to their teams success. But "traveling from flag to flag" has nothing to do with Rush. Rush is having the ability to push through the defenses lines to get to their objectives, arm them and then hold them.

BC1 had this perfect with open maps that required recons to throw motion mines out to catch people even coming near the crates.

BC2 "streamlined" this to where you could still flank, but recon mines weren't as important because the entire map was built as a "hallway."

BF3 then "streamlined" this to the point of killing the entire mode because there is NO NEED to T-UGS other lanes besides the crate and two or three doorways because the attackers can't sneak around to catch the defense off-guard.

And that's a shame, because the defense should be paranoid and not able to hold 2 or three doors to great success.

And thinking on it Valley Run is probably the best map of merging the two ideas for Rush (open/flanking routes and "set lines) with the exception of third to fourth set's hill climb. Seriously, fuck that wasteland as an infantry unit.

Link0080

So is this a glitch or is it unlocking for me a day later?

6QMlsGB.png

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Similar advice to people who play Team Fortress 2 for the first time: for most of a round, you are not a one many army. Value your place in a team, and what your team can do for you. If an encounter seems too daunting or dangerous, retreat a little and let better team members with more appropriate equipment handle it. Know your role, and what support you can provide to your group. Throw health and ammo packs. Don't be afraid to be behind the squad providing support in other areas than run-and-gun shootbang. You'll usually be assigned to a squad automatically, and if the squad leader is competent he/she will be giving you objectives to attack. Doesn't hurt to follow these orders to better your squad's bonus score and stats.

Phalanx92

Always make sure to stick with your squad and/or team because unless you are some kind of FPS badass, lone wolfing this game usually results in you getting wrecked and overwhelmed by the opposing team.

Also try to pay attention to your squad make up. For example, if you see someone playing assault you can role as support and stick close to him dropping ammo while suppressing the enemy team (while handing out ammo to anyone in your team that needs it as well). Basically if you don't see a role being filled in your squad don't hesitate to fill that role.

just to be clear... are you claiming that Metro is a better Rush map than Karkand?

my bad, wasn't gunning for a negative spin.
oh, haha, it just seemed like it with that leadoff!

HariKari

Yeah, okay, I can't take your opinion seriously.
BC1's maps shit all over the "flanking choke-point for actionZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz crowd" map design BC2 started and BF3 used more of.
But if you want two-lane checking, hey... DICE is at least catering to you while I weep for the mode being "dumbed down."
BF3 then "streamlined" this to the point of killing the entire mode
People are going to be people and play the "easy mode" class

You seem like a really reasonable person. Flexible, even.

But "traveling from flag to flag" has nothing to do with Rush.
And no, Obliteration, while fun, is not what Rush is supposed to be.

You must have misread, because neither of those quotes has anything to do with what I wrote.

just to be clear... are you claiming that Metro is a better Rush map than Karkand?

Absolutely. I'm not alone, seeing as how Metro is one of (if not the #1) most played maps, and will be back with us in Second Assault. It's really not for everyone and is pretty bad on 64 players but it's a well made map.

Absolutely. I'm not alone, seeing as how Metro is one of (if not the #1) most played maps, and will be back with us in Second Assault. It's really not for everyone and is pretty bad on 64 players but it's a well made map.
people play it for the XP. it's a well made map if your objective as a player is to grind XP.

Similar advice to people who play Team Fortress 2 for the first time: for most of a round, you are not a one many army. Value your place in a team, and what your team can do for you. If an encounter seems too daunting or dangerous, retreat a little and let better team members with more appropriate equipment handle it. Know your role, and what support you can provide to your group. Throw health and ammo packs. Don't be afraid to be behind the squad providing support in other areas than run-and-gun shootbang. You'll usually be assigned to a squad automatically, and if the squad leader is competent he/she will be giving you objectives to attack. Doesn't hurt to follow these orders to better your squad's bonus score and stats.
Cool, thank you. What does it mean to throw health and ammo packs?

HariKari

people play it for the XP. it's a well made map if your objective as a player is to grind XP.

On conquest, maybe. Those 64 player clusterfucks with explosives give the map a bad name. Best way to grind XP is on domination or TDM.

The assault class can carry healthpacks or health boxes. You just drop them for teammates on the ground so that they can heal, or you can heal yourself. Ammo works the same way with the support class. It's free points and it helps your teammates out a lot.

there are 4 base classes of soldier you choose from when you spawn, the Support class has an ammo pack as an item and the Assault class has a medkit. the items refill ammo and health and give you points.

On conquest, maybe. Those 64 player clusterfucks with explosives give the map a bad name. Best way to grind XP is on domination or TDM.
yes, DOM or TDM would be more efficient SPM generators but that doesn't make them more popular.

HariKari

yes, DOM or TDM would be more efficient SPM generators but that doesn't make them more popular.

Try and find a decent rush server right now or late at night for BF3. Now try and find a 24/7 TDM Canals server. Tons of those. Really no secret that TDM is pretty popular (possibly the most popular mode by player count) despite it being antithetical to what Battlefield stands for.

Where is the cheapest place to buy pc ver?

GMG or Origin Mexico ($75 for base game and premium after tax)

Just a heads up to anyone who pre-ordered with gamestop for pc download, I had to email them to get my key.

Was just asking when the release of keys would happen and they just sent me my key flat out.

Try and find a decent rush server right now or late at night for BF3. Now try and find a 24/7 TDM Canals server. Tons of those. Really no secret that TDM is pretty popular (possibly the most popular mode by player count) despite it being antithetical to what Battlefield stands for.

i think you meant Metro CQ...

amrod

GMG or Origin Mexico ($75 for base game and premium after tax)
Mexico eh do they ban if you VPN buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom