• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoziz

Banned
just to be clear... are you claiming that Metro is a better Rush map than Karkand?
Absolutely.
ibhuRh2OfniVwj.gif

Bailers

Rush is supposed to play in a linear fashion, with a defined frontline where you can expect combat. That's the entire appeal. Too many flanking routes, too many vehicles etc... makes for poor map balance. The Strike at Karkand maps, for example, are essentially roped off areas of the map on rush mode. Metro, on the other hand, was designed from the start to be a rush map and it plays brilliantly. Same for Damavand. Bazaar and Seine play great on rush despite being a little more conquest oriented. Caspian and Firestorm are god awful rush maps, because they are conquest maps at heart.

LevelCap says the maps are better balanced this time around for specific modes. I sure hope so.

My problem with conquest in BF3 on console is the player count. Half the time you end up at a point by yourself, the other half you have an opposing team squad working together with air cover. Either way, it's not what conquest should be and it's not fun. There just weren't enough players to make the true conquest maps competitive. BF4 beta seems to have fixed that, at least in the Shanghai map. Everything funneled through a center point, from which you could provide sniper cover to two points from many spots on the map. The vertically of that map changed it quite a bit. And there was always plenty of action.
BF4 felt much better than BF3 did overall. I'm hopeful. If nothing else,I get to fly a squad in, drop them on a building roof, just like I did in Oman in BF2. Good times.

wrongway

Some random newbie Battlefield tips:

- Move with some teammates. Given the amount of nonsense that goes on in a typical BF game, it's harder to be effective as a one-man army than some other shooters. There's strength in numbers.

- Don't feel like you need to focus on one class. The value of certain classes changes as the situation changes, so feel free to swap between classes often.

- Make the most of your class to help your team. Everyone has something that can be of value other than blowing things up. As Assault, throw down medkits to help allies heal, and consider equipping the defib paddles to revive downed players. As Support, throw out ammo boxes so your buddies can stay stocked up and in the fight. As Recon, throw out sensors to detect enemies or paint targets with your laser for Engineers. As an Engineer, repair damaged vehicles and team up with Recons to blast vehicles with guided missiles.

- If you find yourself as the last person alive in your squad, try to hunker down somewhere safe for a few seconds so your buddies can spawn on you. This helps keep your offensive or defensive momentum up, and for BF4, it'll maintain your squad's bonus perks (extra ammo, faster sprint, etc).

- Don't grab a vehicle and immediately run off with it solo. Look around first to see if any teammates need a lift too.

- Spot all the things. Spotting targets (Q by default on PC) will show a marker over them both in the world and on the map for a few moments. This can help teammates avoid ambushes or bad fights, and help them get the upper hand on opponents. "Knowing is half the battle."

- Play the objective. Always keep the objectives of whatever game mode you're playing in mind, and try to work towards them. Don't be the guy who sits on a roof with a sniper rifle all match going 5/0. Don't be the guy who picks up the bomb in Obliteration and camps in a corner.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cool, thank you. What does it mean to throw health and ammo packs?

What HariKari said. Assault can aid the team with healing, while Support can aid with munitions. In Battlefield 4 both have two separate methods of health to deploy. The first is a single use item you can throw out, picked up by one team member or yourself. So for Support it would be like throwing out a pouch of ammo, or as Assault a medkit. Someone runs over it and it gives them supplies / starts healing. The second option is a stationary box that you throw out that continually supplies team members within an area. So you'd throw out a box of ammo/health, and nearby teammates would have their health/ammo continually supplied. In Battlefield 3 the first tier didn't exist, it was all boxes.

But yeah, health/ammo is valuable to your team, and since your supply of these things is constantly regenerating it doesn't hurt to throw them out for your team, especially if you're in a heated encounter. In Battlefield 3 health wasn't a big problem, but ammo was a disappointing rarity. A lot of Support players didn't seem to know or care about throwing ammo boxes out, which hurt the engineer class. Need them rockets.

Additionally, Assault can unlock defibrillators, which can be used to save downed team members. Also valuable!

Bailers

Another tip from the beta: USE THE FREAKING BATTLELOG APP IF YOU CAN. Seriously, it rocks. Customize your loadout for the next time you spawn. It will change instantly,i always kept my phone next to me. Especially to change vehicle loadouts.And talk about it with your squad. Your load should compliment the squad to accomplish the mission, not just earn xp.

HariKari

I just tried this and can confirm it works perfectly. Just follow the instructions here: http://dd.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/1ohy1r/origin_mexico_battlefield_4_premium_2831_2281/

I got BF4 and Premium for only around $70.

Yeah, fair warning though: Your card will run through EA Geneva because it is an international conversion. Depending on your bank, it might auto-flag as fraud and you'll have to approve the transactions manually. It will still go through and is 100% legit. It would also create a tremendous headache for them to ban a handful of players over this. They are still getting a healthy margin on the sale. Money is money.

Prologue

Jets had no meaningful way of impacting the ground game other than simply denying airspace to the other team. BF2 was much better in this regard. Now we've got JDAMs/dumb bombs again, it will be different. I got real good at switching from the pilot seat to the bomber seat and back again in BF2.

I always shot down tanks when I saw them :(

Phalanx92

Yeah, fair warning though: Your card will run through EA Geneva because it is an international conversion. Depending on your bank, it might auto-flag as fraud and you'll have to approve the transactions manually. It will still go through and is 100% legit. It would also create a tremendous headache for them to ban a handful of players over this. They are still getting a healthy margin on the sale. Money is money.

I immediately checked my account to see if the charges had gone through and they did. I used my bank of america card and didn't notice anything flagged as fraud.

But going by what some people in the reddit thread said, it's possible that EA may ban users from buying from their store. Although they would still be able to play their games and redeem origin codes. As far as I know, no one has been banned for this lately.

Smash88

Banned
I got mine instantly. After the order confirmation and in email form. Works right away in Origin too.

got my GMG key too.

Yeah I got mine as well. I didn't get my premium key though.

Edit: never mind. I just got that as well.

I just got my key from GreenManGaming.

Thanks. It didn't show up in that big list. Had to click the download button, and it showed up under there.

USF

Guys, if I applied the Gold Battlepack preorder bonus for current gen (PS3) .. Will it transfer when I upgrade to next gen (PS4)?

Four Wude

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if the PC version of BF4 natively supports the Xbox 360 controller properly? BF3/BFBC2 were a mess and required Xpadder and/or another key mapper to use the controller in campaign (QTEs wouldn't map to the X360 controller). I don't know why DICE insist on not supporting such a basic feature. If anyone can answer this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Tak3n

Banned
My friend got banned from the Origin Store by doing this, just a heads up.

the overwhelming consensus is they ban you from further purchases, not Ban you from the game, so you should clarify with your friend...

I could not find one report of someone losing their account and game, however I found lots of reports of people no longer being able to buy anything, you can still activate purchases, but not purchase from them anymore

no big loss

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Amazon will be sending out keys for the game at 9AM PST (about 6 hours from this post). They added an offer where you get $5 store credit if you buy the game from them and that will be applied to your account when the game releases.

My friend got banned from the Origin Store by doing this, just a heads up.

the overwhelming consensus is they ban you from further purchases, not Ban you from the game, so you should clarify with your friend...

This is correct. It has happened to my account, except this was for VPN shenanigans well before this service was renamed to Origin. I don't really care though because in all these years I've never felt the need to buy something from Origin. CD keys available online and in retail copies are almost always cheaper and they register on Origin anyway.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Does anyone know if the PC version of BF4 natively supports the Xbox 360 controller properly? BF3/BFBC2 were a mess and required Xpadder and/or another key mapper to use the controller in campaign (QTEs wouldn't map to the X360 controller). I don't know why DICE insist on not supporting such a basic feature. If anyone can answer this, it would be greatly appreciated!

It seems to be fully supported. I didn't need xpadder for piloting in the beta like I did back in bf3.

5.5 hours till preload starts? :p

Sethos

Banned
Just did that Mexican thing. Entire package costs less than the base game does here, holy shit! Thanks for the heads-up.

Sethos

Banned
What has been everyone's Mexican hotel of choice?

None. You can just use your own address but make sure country is Mexico - That's what I did.

I used this;

- Use the proxy 201.150.2.169:8080 in your browser. (or use FLYVPN or any other Mexican proxy) This may be very slow and take multiple attempts.
- Go to origin.com. It should be in Spanish.
- Add bf4 premium (399 MXN) and bf4 normal edition (499 MXN) to your cart. (Digital Deluxe edition is a waste if your getting premium. $12 for a few battlepacks no thanks)
- Disable proxy/VPN.
- Put in CC details and your address, leave country as Mexico.
- Buy it.
- It should now be in your origin games list and order history.

HariKari

If you're really planning on playing this game a lot, I don't understand why you would risk any trouble for 10-20$.

It's more like saving $50 and I couldn't care less if they ban me from buying on Origin. I buy from GMG if I have to get an EA title.

What has been everyone's Mexican hotel of choice?

Just use your normal address. Stopping cards that are registered out of the area they are purchasing from is unrealistic on EA's part.

legacyzero

Banned
Keys in, DICE. Pre-load all over me!

the few days wait is gonna be more stressful on me, than the game will be on my poor 670 :(

Smokey

What HariKari said. Assault can aid the team with healing, while Support can aid with munitions. In Battlefield 4 both have two separate methods of health to deploy. The first is a single use item you can throw out, picked up by one team member or yourself. So for Support it would be like throwing out a pouch of ammo, or as Assault a medkit. Someone runs over it and it gives them supplies / starts healing. The second option is a stationary box that you throw out that continually supplies team members within an area. So you'd throw out a box of ammo/health, and nearby teammates would have their health/ammo continually supplied. In Battlefield 3 the first tier didn't exist, it was all boxes.

But yeah, health/ammo is valuable to your team, and since your supply of these things is constantly regenerating it doesn't hurt to throw them out for your team, especially if you're in a heated encounter. In Battlefield 3 health wasn't a big problem, but ammo was a disappointing rarity. A lot of Support players didn't seem to know or care about throwing ammo boxes out, which hurt the engineer class. Need them rockets.

Additionally, Assault can unlock defibrillators, which can be used to save downed team members. Also valuable!

Is there a different button to press for the two methods? I didn't know about this in the beta.

Bailers

Is there a different button to press for the two methods? I didn't know about this in the beta.

At least on consoles, they only had the first aid pack. The medical pack wasn't available.
And if I understand it, the first aid will be unlocked, but the med pack will be an unlockable accessory.

Really hoping the glitch in the beta of not giving points for healing is just a glitch, and not a decision by DICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom