• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after playing the last two days on PS4... I fired this game back up on PC with my 290x @ 2560x1440.

lol, wow... what a difference. Don't get me wrong.. the PS4 looks phenomenal...it just can't compete with a high end PC at all. That said, I love vehicle play on the consoles and a few things about the game so if they patch it I'll hold off on trading it in. The urge is STRONG right now though.

Gaz_RB

Holy shit the end to this game's SP is soooooo bad. I think I laughed for a good 5 minutes.

When I reached the end-game, I was sort of relieved to be done with it, but was annoyed that they were only letting me choose between Irish or Hannah dying. I wanted to take the C4 down myself, and tried to wrestle with the controls for a moment to see if I could. Suddenly, our ship blows up on the horizon, and Irish chirps in, "Oh no! We blew it!" And Hannah gives me a look, and shakes her head like I've got a developmental disability. Then the credits roll, and I notice the game is saving to the HDD! Oh, were you gonna reload the checkpoint and start again? Fuck you! Play the entire chapter over!

That's got to be one of the biggest trolls I've experienced in gaming. I mean... besides the state of MP play.

Same exact shit happened to me.

"Oh, well I kinda like Hannah and Irish so I don't want them to die, so I'll just go down myself...just gotta figure out what button it is... hmmm..." *boom* game over

Fuck

Didn't even go back and do the different endings.

Honestly I'm getting kind of sick of DICE reusing maps for map packs. Last year it was ok, since it had been years since BF2 came out and Wake Island is a classic 1942 map, but BF3 maps being remade already doesn't do too much for me. Who wanted Firestorm back? I didn't think it was great in BF3.

Agree on firestorm

Back to karkand are straight classics so they should transfer as long as they don't take a lot of dev time

should defo have a bc2 pack:
Arica harbour
Oasis
Another I forgot... Snowy one
maybe one from Vietnam

jaypah

Anybody with the PS4 version having the game freeze on the rainy splash screen? I can't even get the game to start. It did this once before I got the update. Lost all of my SP progress but at least it was working so I figured the patch fixed it. Just got home from work and it's doing that shit again, won't even make it to the animated rain screen, it freezes on the static rain screen. Fucking annoying!

edit: All of my other retail and downloaded games and demos work perfectly.

Agree on firestorm

Back to karkand are straight classics so they should transfer as long as they don't take a lot of dev time

should defo have a bc2 pack:
Arica harbour
Oasis
Another I forgot... Snowy one
maybe one from Vietnam

Arica Harbor might be the best map I've played in BF. LOVED that map.

Isla Inocentes was a stellar map too.

Das-J

Law of the West
Those of you wanting more gameplay should absolutely check out the Live Stream tomorrow at 12PM PST. :)

BF4-Second-Assault-Screen-640x360.png

Grief.exe

Dem jaggies

So good

I can always tell console footage due to the jaggies, lower res textures, lower FOV, and generally blurriness of the image.
And, of course, the general slow reaction times associated with the controller. Always looks like everyone is moving in molasses.

Looks to be the same this generation, though if you told me KZ: Shadowfall was running on a PC I would probably believe you.

That XO footage is fairly stereotypical of the things you would look for.

Honestly I'm getting kind of sick of DICE reusing maps for map packs. Last year it was ok, since it had been years since BF2 came out and Wake Island is a classic 1942 map, but BF3 maps being remade already doesn't do too much for me. Who wanted Firestorm back? I didn't think it was great in BF3.

EA loves that cheap and quick development turnaround.

To play devil's advocate here, your fans are pining for content quickly. You are in a Bioshock Infinite situation where you need to churn out something as quick as possible even though it will likely be garbage.

I don't necessarily like it, but I can see why they are doing it and I don't really have a problem with it. Now, the maps they chose I do have a problem with.

Operation Firestorm? More like Operation Bland.
Operation Metro? We already have Lockers for your typical lowest common denominator corridor fest for those that don't want to think.
Both Caspian Border and Oman are good maps I guess, I just don't tend to like vehicle maps due to my infantry-combat tastes. Weren't there better maps in the Karkand rotation?

Rented BF4 for my ps4, was pretty impressed. The game looks great for a launch title and I didn't notice any frame dips.

Of course it's no pc version but the the gap isn't that big. Can't wait to see how much performance mantle gets out of my system.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Both Caspian Border and Oman are good maps I guess, I just don't tend to like vehicle maps due to my infantry-combat tastes. Weren't there better maps in the Karkand rotation?

Caspian is vanilla.

Honestly it should be:

Oman
Sharqi
Karkand
Caspian
Firestorm

Metro can go die in a fire.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I wish they'd release a lot of BC2s maps, especially for Rush. But before that please fix your fucking game, it's so good when it works that's the kicker.

Grief.exe

Caspian is vanilla..

I know, the Karkand question was referring to Oman.

I wish they'd release a lot of BC2s maps, especially for Rush. But before that please fix your fucking game, it's so good when it works that's the kicker.

BC2 maps were so good.

Why was Firestorm so popular? All I remember is it was a pain to get around.

It wasn't, blandest map I have ever played. Just open desert with a few buildings on it.

Made for an interesting Rush map though.

TheSeks

There is no set time, guessing you are just assuming January? Personally I expect one month post xbox one release.

Yeah, there's not ETA for it. But it's DICE: Knowing them it'll be after China Rising since that's what they advertised and silently exclusived Second Assault.

Woo-Fu

Banned

I'm perfectly happy to get an old map made even better instead of a new map like Golmud Railway.

It doesn't matter what maps they pick, you don't like Firestorm, I hate Karkand.

Chess has been using the same map for centuries, lazy bastards.

RoKKeR

Damn, new Metro, Caspian, and Oman look sexy as hell. Metro reminds me of something from Call of Duty aesthetic wise, which I'm perfectly fine with.

TheSeks

Honestly, I'm getting kind of sick of DICE making new maps that are worse and worse than the last year(s) outing. Last year it bad, since it had less destruction since BC2 came out and Oman is a classic BF2 map, but BC2 maps being remade would do so much for me. Who wanted Metro back? I didn't think it was that great in BF3.

vixlar

Same exact shit happened to me.

"Oh, well I kinda like Hannah and Irish so I don't want them to die, so I'll just go down myself...just gotta figure out what button it is... hmmm..." *boom* game over

Fuck

Didn't even go back and do the different endings.

But each different ending gives a weapon on Multiplayer. Fortunately that last scene is not that long.

RoKKeR

I can't get over how fucking cool Oman looks with the Sandstorm. Reminds me of the post-nuke CoD4 level. Beautiful stuff.

justwhenithinki'mouthteypullmerightbackin.gif

zulfate

Some of the best ones could be great Conquest maps if they opened them up. Like Arica Harbor: make the ocean area playable (RU starts on a carrier?) as well as the out of bounds hills. Hell there were buildings out there they could expand on and put flags. Infantry could fight in the city/harbor and the tanks could duke it out in the open hills.

Same with Port Valdez. Open up the ocean to naval combat, expand on that dock out there (make it bigger with lots of crates, put a flag there). I also remember a road going up the mountain to a factory that was totally unused even in Conquest (wtf!). Expand on that and put a flag there.

Harvest Day and Panama were already awesome Conquest maps. The latter would definitely need to be expanded (ie a base out in the jungle) or it would be a huge cluster fuck. Though people probably wouldn't want a third version of Harvest (I do though, map kicked ass in any mode!).

i agree of this post.

BC2 maps were just....so good, i always loved the way DICE makes there maps. its what makes me keep coming back and to be honest i am not digging BF4 vanilla maps as much as there other titles. i kinda would love to see bazaar from bf3 though but i think i am in the minority.

TheSeks

If we were doing BC2:

Cold War
Harvest Day
Port Valadez
Arica Harbor
Panama Canal

are the top five I'd want to return.

"But, Seks! What about Oasis?"

Fuck that map. It was terrible in BC1, it was terrible in BC2, and even with portable AA now it'd just be terrible with good helicopter pilots and no one but me trying to take the AA out. I had my fill of that map for one life time and don't want to see it EVER again.

BC1:

Harvest Day
Deconstruction
Par For the Course (of course this is kinda a helicopter map so... maybe not so much...)
End of the Line
Valley Run

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Speaking of AA, I have over 37 hours now and I've been in Mobile AA for 1m33s. I generally enter vehicles if they are there, but those things are never available. People just sit in the middle of nowhere away from the action the whole match, especially on Golmud Rail.

TheSeks

Firestorm's flags are badly placed, yeah. I never got around to seeing the Conquest Large/64-player version of it but the consoles/3 flags being a straight line was pretty disappointing.

But the map shines with a good mix of vehicle and infantry combat and that's what I want out of my Battlefield maps: Both of them working together.

Thanks to this thread I just fired up 1942 and configured my DS4 to fly the planes. Man it feels floatyyyyyyy.

I miss this game so much. Dice really has forgotten where it came from.

TheSeks

Apparently, I played a game of conquest 6 hours ago.

I haven't touched this game in more than 24 hours.

Either the stats server is broke to where it's delay/duplicating reports or the DDOS is screwing with the stats servers or the DDOS has compromised your account or...

In any case, I'd check and make sure your EA.com account is yours if you're truly paranoid and worried.

wrongway

I wish there was an option to blacklist servers. I hate always seeing this 24/7, 64-player Locker server at the top of my list.

Blah. Guess I just need to favorite a bunch of other decent servers. ><

Sec0nd

I just watched the X1 gameplay from Jack on Gulf of Oman and Caspian Border. Is it me or does the X1 version looks super rough? It's like there's no AA present at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom