• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Gamespot has two videos of the china rising DLC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHloQANHVVw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUbu2SsF-Or3Rsn3NxqODImw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzBeFhlXBPY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUbu2SsF-Or3Rsn3NxqODImw

I'm happy that the ps4 version got patched, just in time for the ps4 release on Friday.

lol they even commented during the video on how bad journalists are at actually playing games.

They said that is why they have a separate showing for the youtube players, so the journalists don't get constantly wrecked.

When the game works its great fun. Parachuting down on the Shanghai map on top of a tank that has 2 engineers trying to repair it only to drop C4 on it and get 4 kills is great.

Not so great is when the game crashes with the sound looping right after you do so.

njean777

Keen to hear more impressions of PS4 BF4 Multiplayer. Considering picking it up.

I did hear that the PS4 FPS really drops on the conquest 64 maps, is that what others have experienced?

Cheers

It does drop when stuff gets super crazy, but not enough drops for it to be a huge problem.

When the game works its great fun. Parachuting down on the Shanghai map on top of a tank that has 2 engineers trying to repair it only to drop C4 on it and get 4 kills is great.

Not so great is when the game crashes with the sound looping right after you do so.

Basically this. Especially better when you have friends, a good squad, and of course a team that at least knows what they should be doing. Nothing feels better than being part of a well oiled machine :).

Scarecrow

I'm new to Battlefield (played mostly the Call of Duty's the past few years), so I'm a tad confused on some mechanics.

For the class load outs, am I right in that it looks like you can't mix and match some equipment? For example, I can't lug around C4 with any class besides the Recon sniper class?

I'm also seeing aerial vehicles like UAVs and AC-130s. I didn't think BF had 'kill streaks,' so how does one utilize these features?

When playing, I occasionally see a set of four icons relating to the class I'm using. In the Assault class (I believe), it shows some medic centric symbols. I also see just one symbol (like 'cover'), but don't know what it means or how to activate it. What do these symbols mean to me?

Lastly, how does one go about bringing down some of the larger buildings? I haven't yet encountered that one skyscraper collapsing that they've shown early on, but I've seen half a ten story hotel melt away at one point.

I'm new to Battlefield (played mostly the Call of Duty's the past few years), so I'm a tad confused on some mechanics.

For the class load outs, am I right in that it looks like you can't mix and match some equipment? For example, I can't lug around C4 with any class besides the Recon sniper class?

I'm also seeing aerial vehicles like UAVs and AC-130s. I didn't think BF had 'kill streaks,' so how does one utilize these features?

When playing, I occasionally see a set of four icons relating to the class I'm using. In the Assault class (I believe), it shows some medic centric symbols. I also see just one symbol (like 'cover'), but don't know what it means or how to activate it. What do these symbols mean to me?

Lastly, how does one go about bringing down some of the larger buildings? I haven't yet encountered that one skyscraper collapsing that they've shown early on, but I've seen half a ten story hotel melt away at one point.

Recon starts with C4 but Support can unlock it. Check out the Unlocks section of Battlelog to see everything that each class can get.

UAVs and AC-130s can be deployed by the commander. Three players can get into gunner seats of the gunship once the commander deploys it. However, there are some player-control aerial recon vehicles that Recon can use, though Support will have one in China Rising.

The symbols you're probably talking about is your Field Upgrade. As your squad does well and gets squad-related points and bonuses, you unlock each of the four upgrades, which provide boosts as long as your squad doesn't get wiped. Check out this blog: http://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/08/road-to-bf4-field-upgrades/

And for the big "levolution" events, it depends on the level. Search Youtube for Levolution, there are a few vids that explain all of them.

While you're in Youtube, check out the channels by LevelCapGaming, Jackfrags, xFactorGaming, and Matimi0. All of them play together and put out good vids on weapons, analysis, etc.

I think the 20 minute timer now on Obliteration mode is way too short. The rounds could get pretty long before but 20 minutes isn't the answer. That's about enough time to get 1 bomb each to the enemy base.

AmyS

I've been catching up on some much-needed sleep, haven't fired up my PS4 yet today.

So how is the update for PS4 BF4 working so far?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
wtf at this bug. stuck at the revive screen, can't die or redeploy or even chat. I have to quit or wait til the round is over I guess.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I love all the little hidden features in maps.

I was playing on that city map with the destructible bridge on the C flag. Near I think the D flag there is a building you can go into, and if you look near one of the doors there is a button you can press which lowers steel curtains over all the windows.

I can kinda see it. Is that mountain supposed to be the temple? xD

Haha, I was actually JUST looking at the map and comparing it to BF2, and I think so:

u8OdYBa.png

I could see that being a "re-imagining"...although I honestly would have been happy with just a remade/updated Dragon Valley, straight up.

Grief.exe

I was playing on that city map with the destructible bridge on the C flag. Near I think the D flag there is a building you can go into, and if you look near one of the doors there is a button you can press which lowers steel curtains over all the windows.

lol

todahawk

Haven't had the chance to play due to my grandfather's funeral/recurrent eye erosion -_-.
Hopefully to put in some playtime on the PS4 tonight

Anyway, the usual advertisement:
Community ID sign ups are up for BF4, you can find the links for them in the OP or here:
PSN: http://tinyurl.com/k56ws63
XBL: http://tinyurl.com/k9larpk
PC: http://tinyurl.com/kh8tyyo

(PM me or Overdoziz if you need to make changes.)

Awesome, thanks! (done & added)
Looks like we're getting the band back together...
BluesBrothers.jpg

I haven't played around with the SOFLAM enough to know, but the PLD has to be held on the target/target in screen for the lock to hold. You can't lower the PLD because it breaks lock.

Unless that's something DICE "broke" in earlier server revisions or something.

It's kinda pointless to use those anyway since no one locks onto them. :/
I haven't given up on the PLD quite yet, it's nice for spotting quickly on the big wide open maps. Plus with PS4GAF getting together maybe we'll be able to coordinate some.

Shhhhhh.

Deliver 5 bombs in obliteration lol, not just planting, they need to detonate.
Ahh, that's why it took me a little bit. Thought it was bugged at first.

Yep, on Siege of Shanghai you can raise barriers to prevent vehicles from entering lower level areas. On operation locker you can close off doors and passageways. There's hatches leading to the roof of the middle buildings on Zavod that can be locked too.

Fonz72

So much for auto updates on the PS4! System was in standby and upon waking it up I was notified of 2 updates starting. Bullshit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ah that makes sense, thanks. Also regarding the China Rising DLC weapons you mentioned, do you have to complete all requirements for the assignment in one match? I've been trying to get the L96A1 but to no avail.

If they say "in a round" then yes.

The L96 has to be done in a round. The ribbons themselves, no. But the pistol, blah blah blah under those? Yes. Those have to done in a round.

EVIL

Haha, I was actually JUST looking at the map and comparing it to BF2, and I think so:

u8OdYBa.png

I could see that being a "re-imagining"...although I honestly would have been happy with just a remade/updated Dragon Valley, straight up.

Man, the new dragons valley is soo flat! I mean you start out already on land? without having that beautiful vertical gameplay from BF2 its much less interesting

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Gamespot has two videos of the china rising DLC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHloQANHVVw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUbu2SsF-Or3Rsn3NxqODImw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzBeFhlXBPY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUbu2SsF-Or3Rsn3NxqODImw

I'm happy that the ps4 version got patched, just in time for the ps4 release on Friday.

Both set to private?

Edit: And the patch hasn't improved performance at all. Still lagging. Still obnoxious audio and fuzzy effect bugs. And disconnects still occurring. Only thing to change was Dice flipping the switch on the Conquest servers the day the Xbox One version released.

TheSeks

Besides that's starting attack on Rush. Wait until the Conquest map is shown?

Yeah, we only saw a portion of the map (they stalled at the second MCOM set), so I still have hope, but I agree, verticality is what made Dragon Valley special for me.

Fonz72

Well, two crashes post patch. First was stuck at a blank loading screen like the beta bug, and second happened when trying to access battlelog during a match.

taoofjord

So, folks who have unlocked most of the weapons, which are your favorites and with what mods?

Also, auto aim on or off? I seem to do better with to off as it can be a little unpredictable otherwise.

Come the fuck on. Siege of Shanghai crashed 3 times in 2 hours last night. Now I can barely load a game.

Haven't read if any updated came out today but fuckkk! aren't we on day 32 of pc release?

Seanspeed

Banned
I think I'm just fucking garbage and I'm always put on the most garbage fucking teams as well. I don't blame people who quit out halfway through a match when you're 7 players down, have zero flags and are getting spawn/base raped with over half the tickets still remaining. I had to basically just stand around for 10 minutes because I didn't want to miss out on my 10,000 point star I got early in the round. But I went 5 and 28 and was in the top 3 in my team. There were over 15 people on the other side who scored more points than I did.

God, this game is frustrating sometimes.

todahawk

Soooo good.gif
Especially considering you were being a good soldier, making your rounds and giving out ammo to everyone.

I had a lovely one I captured (and need to edit down) of a dude that was just destroying our team over a couple of sessions and thought he'd knife me in the face. I countered that bitch and ended up catching him with my shotty a few more times... he quit the second we hit the score board and topped off a comeback win.

That particular mechanic is so broken on Domination.
Ugh, I know.
That's why when Zavod comes up I try to snag the mobile AA asap and fuck the choppers up that taxi the recon campers up there. Pissed off most of the other team a few nights ago when they couldn't camp like they wanted to.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yea, I'm done with this game for a while. Started new game. 0-8, held zero flags, just getting killed left and right, no chance whatsoever.

I'm fucking shit.

EDIT: Cant do anything in choppers or jets, either. If you're not already a veteran, don't even bother. You will get shot down within 10 seconds almost every time with absolutely zero chance of doing anything at all. The test range is of zero use. Yea, you'll learn the basic controls, you learn absolutely nothing about how to be an actual competent pilot in the event that you are actually required to do something.

Lakitu

st5fu
Yea, I'm done with this game for a while. Started new game. 0-8, held zero flags, just getting killed left and right, no chance whatsoever.

I'm fucking shit.

It's not that your bad, we all have those games unfortunately. I suck more often than not but it's better when you're enjoying it and playing as a team, repairing/healing/replenishing as much as you can for points and capping.

todahawk

I'm fucking shit.

Just take a break. I have plenty of shit games... sometimes you're just on a shit team and you're getting shot from 4 directions at once as soon as you spawn.

Are you on PS4? I'm todahawk on PSN but either way, start adding GAF to your FL.

When in doubt, hop in an aircraft.
Shit man, I don't last long in jets or choppers but i'm getting much better. If I want to live it's a MBT or IFV and watch for hordes of engies.

Ocho

I'm fucking shit.

EDIT: Cant do anything in choppers or jets, either. If you're not already a veteran, don't even bother. You will get shot down within 10 seconds almost every time with absolutely zero chance of doing anything at all. The test range is of zero use. Yea, you'll learn the basic controls, you learn absolutely nothing about how to be an actual competent pilot in the event that you are actually required to do something.

Grab a tank and shoot from afar racking 'em kills/points.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yes, to just get shot down immediately. Its a waste of time and a life every single time I do it. I'm just gonna give up on it. I was really motivated to learn to become a decent pilot this time around, but its impossible.

EDIT: I'm just frustrated. Really fucking frustrated. I'll be back, but I really am garbage this time for some reason. I rarely ever even crack 1:1 K/D ratio. I don't know what the fuck is wrong.

Milennia

So, folks who have unlocked most of the weapons, which are your favorites and with what mods?

Also, auto aim on or off? I seem to do better with to off as it can be a little unpredictable otherwise.

M416 (lol) just with laser/light switcher and T rds.. Gun is just dumb.

Ace 23, same thing as above lol.

todahawk

Yes, to just get shot down immediately. Its a waste of time and a life every single time I do it. I'm just gonna give up on it. I was really motivated to learn to become a decent pilot this time around, but its impossible.

practice on the test range mano, it helped me get better with the AGM on teh attack craft. fly that little bird untill you can strafe circles around that center building. practice low and fast.

just try to have fun and change things up if you're dying. go with some weird new loadout. fuck around with smoke grenades!

TheSeks

Er- use the respawning UAV's in the test range to get your grips on firing on vehicles, same for the ground vehicles. You need to get to grips on using the machine guns and other stuff to hit those targets.

Once you've got that, learn to "fly smooth" in turning and speed increase/decreaasing playing factors in that.

If you know of an unranked (or ranked, I guess but I don't recommend this for stat sake) air-training servers, go there. Reddit had one for PS3 on BF3 I dunno if they have one for PC in BF3 or BF4 but it's a good starting place to have someone tell you what you're doing wrong if you really want to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom