• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woo-Fu

Banned
How is 360 controller support on PC?

Works fine if you don't need on-screen prompts telling you what button to press. There are no QTEs in the campaign so it isn't a problem. Remember what button is your action button and you're all set.

I use one for copter piloting.

obligatory "why the hell would you buy it on current gen"

Did the same, to get a little head start because rank will transfer over. Made it to lvl40 on PS3 with a broken controller which occasionally changes my firing modes from auto to single shot in the middle of a fight or makes me try to knife someone who is 20 meters away and firing at me... can't wait to try out the DS4.

Naudi

Banned
I have unlocked a bunch of battlepacks and got medium range Scopes for my assault rifle. But when I try to equip it all my medium range scopes are red and un equipable, I know I'm checking the correct weapon... What am I missing?

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Gemüsepizza;91717789 said:
Did the same, to get a little head start because rank will transfer over. Made it to lvl40 on PS3 with a broken controller which occasionally changes my firing modes from auto to single shot in the middle of a fight or makes me try to knife someone who is 20 meters away and firing at me... can't wait to try out the DS4.

Pretty sure the "firing mode" changing isn't your controller's fault. I experienced it too, and even now with the DualShock 4. I'd wager it's DICE/EA and not Sony.

Drakeon

Guys, how do i not suck at battlefield? All I can usually accomplish is dying a whole fuck of a lot. It has me honestly considering getting Ghosts as a replacement.

venom2124

Can you get your Emblem on your gun on PS4?
I made a decent Marine Raiders emblem in battlelog and haven't seen it on my weapons or vehicles yet. It's displayed on my soldier tab in battlelog when I press the touchpad, but doesn't show up ingame. If someone has successfully gotten their emblems onto weapons in the ps4 version I would love to hear how they did it.

Zinthar

Guys, how do i not suck at battlefield? All I can usually accomplish is dying a whole fuck of a lot. It has me honestly considering getting Ghosts as a replacement.

Battlefield has a rough learning curve if you're new to the series. There are enormous penalties when trying to shoot on the move, for instance, compared to the CoD series.

Which version are you playing?

Drakeon

Battlefield has a rough learning curve if you're new to the series. There are enormous penalties when trying to shoot on the move, for instance, compared to the CoD series.

Which version are you playing?

PS4. I haven't really put in any time to a BF game since 1942, so I'm essentially new to the series.

moris

I definitely would like to know that too. I am beyond useless in most rounds.

Dibbs

I have unlocked a bunch of battlepacks and got medium range Scopes for my assault rifle. But when I try to equip it all my medium range scopes are red and un equipable, I know I'm checking the correct weapon... What am I missing?

Some other equip is blocking it probably.

Zinthar

PS4. I haven't really put in any time to a BF game since 1942, so I'm essentially new to the series.

To start out with, play very conservatively -- choose a squad with 3-4 people in it to join and spawn into areas where you won't be outnumbered or where there's intel on the positions of enemies.

Stick to cover as much as possible and try to catch hapless enemies who run by you. When firing, unless you're extremely close to the enemy, you should always stop and ADS before firing. If you begin to hip-fire before ADSing, you'll retain the accuracy penalty of hip-fire even after ADSing (until you stop). Also, fire in short bursts for mid-range targets -- recoil increases in relation to how many consecutive bullets you've fired.

If you're firing on a target running across your screen, you may have to lead them by a good amount depending on the weapon you're using and their distance. This is just one of those things you'll have to get a feel for from playing -- see how far ahead you need to shoot to get hit-markers.

Also, play close attention to the minimap -- see where marked enemies are, as well as dead allies. Bad spawning and poor positioning will get you killed far more than anything else in Battlefield. And unless you're in a position to damage/destroy powerful vehicles, stay away from them altogether.

Lastly, always heal before engaging so that you're at full health in a firefight (where possible).

a916

Something that took me a while to learn coming from COD, but BF has more recoil, so a tendency to hold down the trigger like you would if you played COD backfires immediately.

That and aiming for the head doubled my KDR

it's one of the best looking PS3 games...

prairie_dog.gif

EVIL

Please, no. No. NO.

DICE can't get the ambiance right for those.

I love night maps but somehow in BF3 they looked pretty bad, way to bright. I think it would be pretty cool having a night map during a storm and having flashes of lightning illuminate the map. I would like more snow maps tho, maybe during a blizzard. and none of that eye hurting bright stuff like on operation locker.

I love night maps but somehow in BF3 they looked pretty bad, way to bright. I think it would be pretty cool having a night map during a storm and having flashes of lightning illuminate the map. I would like more snow maps tho, maybe during a blizzard. and none of that eye hurting bright stuff like on operation locker.

I thought Nelson Bay in BC2 worked alright at night.

So twice tonight the server I was playing on just quit mid-game and vanished, only to reappear on the server list a few minutes later. No stats appeared, nothing. Like I never played at all. I'm guessing the servers crashed but it seems pretty shady when they were two completely different ones. Dice really should implement a system to distribute points without the game needing to finish server-side.

I was going 28-6 in the first game and 22-4 in the second :(. feelsbadman

Hip Hop

Been trying to get on after my first game crash. All I get is this now:

"
Error
Failed contact with EA Online. Please try again later."

Restarts did nothing.

Are the loading screens supposed to be like 2 minutes long as well?

HelloMeow

Been trying to get on after my first game crash. All I get is this now:

"
Error
Failed contact with EA Online. Please try again later."

Restarts did nothing.

Are the loading screens supposed to be like 2 minutes long as well?

Yeah, loading can take that long. Especially if you don't have the game installed on an SSD.

Eksmannnn

Neo Member
I've just got myself a 66 player server on PC and was wondering if I could put it in this thread or is it only certain ones? it's a UK one and I wouldn't mind putting the neogaf name on it if that is also allowed?

elyetis

Not knowing how much life or ammo you have doesnt add to the experience, just gives you less knowledge for making decisions. No minimap is just silly. It has been in the game since 1942 and 2d spotting is critical in battlefield.
You can see I didn't speak about the HUD ( thought I actually like the lack of cross aim, but yeah I would prefere knowing my life and ammo ).
As for the minimap, while I'm wasn't against it at first because if the 2d spotting in itself but because I hated the choice to make people appear on it if they shoot without a silencer, I'm still actually not fond of the 2d spotting in it's current form ( for me it should show the position of the player when he was spotted, not showing it's movment behind cover after that, it's current form is less about showing your allies you spotted someone, and more about giving yourself a way to track to ennemy for a few secondes ).

patapuf

I want to buy this but why are people advocating getting premium (what's in it?)

Premium is all the DLC at a slight discount, plus some small goodies.

The DLC adds Maps, Weapons and game modes and is usually good value.

If you've never played Battlefield before you might as well wait until you are sure you'll play the game for a while though. You don't loose anything by buying it later.

erawsd

So how popular is this game on the PS4? Apparently, COD has ~ 30k concurrent players, and Killzone has ~800. I'm curious because I've bought enough multiplayer games that are dead in a month.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So how popular is this game on the PS4? Apparently, COD has ~ 30k concurrent players, and Killzone has ~800. I'm curious because I've bought enough multiplayer games that are dead in a month.

Very popular, and it's only going to get bigger as more adopt the PS4.

It may be the most actively popular MP shooter behind Call of Duty and Halo.

EVIL

damn, went up 3 levels last night when playing in 2 matches. I am liking this double XP thing :) Also, apparently when you get like a medal thats 10.000 xp, it becomes 20.000 xp in the double xp days, and if you throw on a 50% xp on top of that you get 30000, and with 100% 40.000 xp. I am liking this. leveling like this goes crazy fast

Man just made the leap from PS3-PS4.

The difference is phenomenal: it's like night and day. Network issues, visual/audio performance, gameplay...it's so much better.

I mean the differences really manifest themselves clearly in gameplay; with tighter controls and less judder/rubberbanding, I'm more accurate: was using the QBU 88 DMR and was surprised that I only needed to fire three shots not 5 due to the latency on PS3. Also, stabbing, being stabbed is a smooth animation; not 6 clunky frames of an animation.

There are opportunities for gameplay that didn't exist on PS3. A game of conquest on Hainain Resort allows for Attack Jet vs Attack Boat gameplay, something that wasn't available previously. And hitting an attack boat with a JDAM bomb is such a good feeling.

And visually it's so much better. At high altitude on paracel storm, the sea is not just a flat turqouise texture. I can't believe it even looked like that on PS3.

It's been so worth it upgrading from current to next gen (or previous gen to current gen?) as I can appreciate the quality so much more.

It's like getting a burger from the frozen section, then getting a T-bone steak

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I think I hit the explosive on his ATV

iPuUzWJpio6ts.gif

Nice Battlefield Moment there, man! :D If I was the driver, not sure what I'd have wanted more: getting hit in the nogging by a sniper while speeding, or that.

Man just made the leap from PS3-PS4.

The difference is phenomenal: it's like night and day. Network issues, visual/audio performance, gameplay...it's so much better.

I mean the differences really manifest themselves clearly in gameplay; with tighter controls and less judder/rubberbanding, I'm more accurate: was using the QBU 88 DMR and was surprised that I only needed to fire three shots not 5 due to the latency on PS3. Also, stabbing, being stabbed is a smooth animation; not 6 clunky frames of an animation.

There are opportunities for gameplay that didn't exist on PS3. A game of conquest on Hainain Resort allows for Attack Jet vs Attack Boat gameplay, something that wasn't available previously. And hitting an attack boat with a JDAM bomb is such a good feeling.

And visually it's so much better. At high altitude on paracel storm, the sea is not just a flat turqouise texture. I can't believe it even looked like that on PS3.

It's been so worth it upgrading from current to next gen (or previous gen to current gen?) as I can appreciate the quality so much more.

It's like getting a burger from the frozen section, then getting a T-bone steak

Yep, exactly, Agreed. Just fix the tech bugs and everything's gravy. Can't believe how good the DualShock 4 triggers are. So good.

Bought this one as a digital download and now I'm waiting for the install to finish to be able to play the multiplayer. I finished the first mission of the campaign and although the single player isn't anything that special, the graphics do look really nice when compared to BF3 on PS3. Goodbye screen tearing, shitty framerate and poor IQ... couldn't be happier and this is only the start of this generation.

Kolgar

So have they fixed the issue with the game losing your campaign progress?

I've had to restart three times already and my fourth will be my last.

Morpork

Why is Defuse such an unpopular game mode? I was really excited to play it when it was announced, but I haven't been able to find a server running it yet.

gossi

So I just spent three hours playing the "Second Assault" pack on Xbox One, as the download was finally fixed.

Impressions (contains 'map spoilers'):

- Gulf of Oman's sand storm is intense.
- Being able to set fire to grass and start spreading fires in Caspian Border is great. Grenade sniper positions. Also, dat sniper tower is absolutely huge (and being able to bring it down).
- Operation Metro is much improved. You can work around the choke points if you look around (hint: lifts)

Only negatives is the performance on Xbox One on these maps is questionable at times.

Jito

Banned
I've just got myself a 66 player server on PC and was wondering if I could put it in this thread or is it only certain ones? it's a UK one and I wouldn't mind putting the neogaf name on it if that is also allowed?

Can I have a link? The more UK servers the merrier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom