• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gav47

The amount of tiny ledges and objects you can't vault over has increased drastically coming from BF3 and even that game already had its fair share of issues. It's pretty annoying when you quickly try to get away from somewhere and you just jump into an invisible wall looking like an idiot.

This must be a quirk with the Frostbite engine cause this has been happening since BC2. Good thing EA aren't using it for all their upcoming games...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This must be a quirk with the Frostbite engine cause this has been happening since BC2. Good thing EA aren't using it for all their upcoming games...

No, it's a problem with DICE's mounting/vaulting system. That is a destroyed tree/stump that you can normally not pass. But because it's destroyed, the "tree" is gone, but the "tree blocking" isn't.

It's like that glitch with the chain-fence near the building of A on... Ilsa Innocentes (? Faceless correct me? The fall Rush map with the first set island and two Blackhawks) in Bad Company 2 before DICE removed the chain-link fence. That was destroyed and the WHOLE BUILDING COLLAPSED seconds later because the engine freaked out about the destruction status and thought the entire building was being destroyed by an explosion.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
So when i get shot from the front it says its coming from the back lol.

Me and a friend had a good laugh about this some days ago - as in, "so angry that it's gone full circle"-laugh. In all my decades of experience in a shooter, I have NEVER seen a shooter get the damage direction warnings wrong. If that doesn't indicate that something is wrong with your game when something that is so vital to the core of a game is screwed up, then I don't know what does.

Don't get me started again with getting stuck on shit that is no higher than your ankle in this game too. I skipped BF3 so when I encountered that shit in the BF4 beta, I was thinking that it was just a beta thing. Wrong.

Being halted by tiny things like that is why I thought Timesplitters and the first Killzone were trash, and I never had interest in either series since. Yesterday I played a match on the dam level where every single small desk in all of the rooms were invisible aside from the keyboards on top of them, and I kept getting stuck against them till I noticed the floating keyboards. Jeez DICE.

Just finished the campaign, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Level design was pretty good, it was mind-blowing graphically and there was some alright voice acting thrown in there. Not bad.

Azulsky

Everybody is a fucking sniper now. This rooftop bullshit sucks, too. I do NOT want to build my loadout around taking down rooftop snipers. I have better shit to do. Its simply not fun having to deal with that crap.

I'm starting to think BF3 was a much better game, map design-wise. I never understood all the hate for them.

I dont see how its realistic from a team perspective to do anything other than Engineer core squads.

Coordinated Engineers are scary shit and few people seem willing to take up the AT mantle that is require in the vehicle oriented modes.

And you still get to use carbines and dmrs.

The rush maps for BC2 are solid gold. It has gone downhill since then for this mode.

Conquest maps I still need to play on to get a better feeling but some like the flooded city map are just unfun do to the mobility restriction and lack of extraneous pathways that let your maneuver around the primary fire lanes. It just becomes a big sniping orgy and you are left swimming to points trying to evade RHIBS while the highway is a big koth battle for LAV's

Others like the radio installation map with the large dish are just too open. They need to open up BF2 and look at carefully constructed maps like Dragon Valley.

My favorite conquest map by far is the tank factory, though it suffers from BC2 problems where you have completely flat areas after a while, so I tend now to shy away from 1k ticket servers.

Overall the maps feel too small. I havent seen a Large Conquest map yet where I could not get on any hill and survey the entirety of the airspace. That would be a ridiculous proposition on BF2.

Milennia

I dont see how its realistic from a team perspective to do anything other than Engineer core squads.

Coordinated Engineers are scary shit and few people seem willing to take up the AT mantle that is require in the vehicle oriented modes.

And you still get to use carbines and dmrs.

The rush maps for BC2 are solid gold. It has gone downhill since then for this mode.

Conquest maps I still need to play on to get a better feeling but some like the flooded city map are just unfun do to the mobility restriction and lack of extraneous pathways that let your maneuver around the primary fire lanes. It just becomes a big sniping orgy and you are left swimming to points trying to evade RHIBS while the highway is a big koth battle for LAV's

Others like the radio installation map with the large dish are just too open. They need to open up BF2 and look at carefully constructed maps like Dragon Valley.

My favorite conquest map by far is the tank factory, though it suffers from BC2 problems where you have completely flat areas after a while, so I tend now to shy away from 1k ticket servers.

Overall the maps feel too small. I havent seen a Large Conquest map yet where I could not get on any hill and survey the entirety of the airspace. That would be a ridiculous proposition on BF2.
Damn, i agree with alot of this.
I miss BC2 rush, i cant even enjoy it anymore in BF4 so i just spam conquest.

That final B com on zavod is a killer lol but other than that its ok.

TheSeks

Let's be honest: The BF2 maps are insanely huge. Hoofing it would take forever. It takes a while to hoof it around the maps here, so I think they found a perfect balance between size and scale so far.

I've crashed anywhere from 10-20 times on PC today. It's infuriating to say the least. I don't understand why either, I played fine for the last 2 days with no hiccups. I guess I couldn't avoid the crashes other people get forever.

Grief.exe

Did an all pistols server and unlocked all of the guns.

Looks like the 93R, CZ, P226, and Compact 45 are the three best guns in the game in terms of killing speed.

Let's be honest: The BF2 maps are insanely huge. Hoofing it would take forever. It takes a while to hoof it around the maps here, so I think they found a perfect balance between size and scale so far.

I can agree with this. The BF2 maps were a little too large.

Spl1nter

Dont say such stupid bullshit. A number of maps in BF2 you could see the entire map from certain points and that is with the restrictive fog of war. Plus most bf2 maps where best when only 3 or 4 of the points were being fought over.

"This map doesnt have enough path ways", looks at strike at karkand.

"This map is too open" look at half of the bf2 maps.

Different maps provide different experiences. The BF4 maps do a really good job in that regard. Im just disappointed with dawnbreaker and lancing dam. The base maps with better point selection and vehicles would be sooooo much better. Probably the only two maps that I consider weak in the game.

Locker I usually find fine since I stick to the outside always, doesnt become as clusterfucky as metro.

Some maps would be ever so slightly better with about 25-50 more meters of space between certain points. Or an extra flag or two in certain spots. Wonder if DICE ever tested hainan resort with 2 more flags configurations. Feel like it could make it a classic.

I got the game on X1, so I'd be following this thread for a few weeks before I actually got the game, and this thread made it sound like all the 64 conquest maps were too small.

Can't say I agree with that with the exception of flying zones being too small. Obviously there is an exception like Operation Locker, but most of the maps feel good with the player count. Do you guys want maps to feel like you're playing Caspian border on 360 or PS3?

Spl1nter

We should've won, we armed C but Scogoth didn't get inside the LAV. I hit the guy defusing at least 4 times as well. That Spl1nter guy sure sucks, always in the wrong team.

Vehicle WHORE

What Ocho said today, "I dont like paracel storm, its like operation locker, no tanks or lavs on it, bad maps".

What I than say every game, "Thank god Ocho is in our tank/lav"

;)

antonz

Sheesh this game is a hog. Finally overclocked my 2500k because I had too. Game ran like shit with stock clock. upped it upto 4.3ghz and games buttery smooth now.

I cannot even begin to imagine how the PS4/Xbone are going to survive with frostbite 3.0.

RdN

God, this crashes on the Xbox One are pissing me off! Was doing great on a Conquest match, and the game closed. :(

so despite preordering the xbone version at best buy i somehow got a copy without the china uprising code, checked all 3 best buys in the area yesterday and none have the limited edition for me to exchange out....way to fail me yet again bby

on a hunch i rechecked a store and they found a copy and exchanged it for me

Glad to see the GAF server is populated tonight! I'm DakkSpore, should anyone want to squad up in-game. Shanghai still crashing every time, which is a bummer when you're the helo pilot flying the bomb carrier to the obj. Good matches so far.

Acinixys

Then your very lucky. I bet it makes up between 20% to 33% of my deaths. Certain guns and certain people seem to do it much more often than others. When someone does it to you 4 or 5 times in one match you start wondering if he is hacking or getting very lucky.

I do have a friend that swears its only happened a few times to him and only just started doing it.

Then again I've never had the sound loop crash, Shanghai crash, or revive bug.

The one hit kill bug only happens when you get headshot under 8m. Any further than that and it takes more than 2 hits to kill

TheSeks

We should've won, we armed C but Scogoth didn't get inside the LAV. I hit the guy defusing at least 4 times as well. That Spl1nter guy sure sucks, always in the wrong team.

Man, you have no idea how annoyed I was fighting that bomb all over C.

You going to B actually turned that game into a tie due to Splinter(?) trying to ping our LAV on the way to C. Then it was a back and forth battle for C the entire round with them trying to push it toward A or B now and then.
-----

The recurring theme of the game for me ALL of today until I took a break was "SKS can hit shit unless DICE says I'm not."

POINTBLANK ADS at someone, pump five rounds at them: No hitmarkers. They then two shot kill me. Each and every time.

Pissed me off. No matter the mode, the map: Playing by myself, having Scogoth join me in Rush (and then join Splinter after Norua soon joins us on a losing defense round since Scogoth would go ahead near their spawn and everyone would lemming toward him, leaving me to defend until Scogoth attempted to help me defend and the rest of the team I dunno...), playing Obliteration with ya'll... didn't matter: mysterious no hit markers.

Same for spotting people and not seeing any markers, which is pretty damn deadly for me because I GOTTA have that heads up information shown to me and it's random when those will pop-up for me.

The one hit kill bug only happens when you get headshot under 8m. Any further than that and it takes more than 2 hits to kill

That doesn't explain the turning the corner and both dying/Halo 3 assault-melee tie-gamble situations.

Azulsky

Dont say such stupid bullshit. A number of maps in BF2 you could see the entire map from certain points and that is with the restrictive fog of war. Plus most bf2 maps where best when only 3 or 4 of the points were being fought over.

"This map doesnt have enough path ways", looks at strike at karkand.

"This map is too open" look at half of the bf2 maps.

Different maps provide different experiences. The BF4 maps do a really good job in that regard. Im just disappointed with dawnbreaker and lancing dam. The base maps with better point selection and vehicles would be sooooo much better. Probably the only two maps that I consider weak in the game.

Locker I usually find fine since I stick to the outside always, doesnt become as clusterfucky as metro.

Some maps would be ever so slightly better with about 25-50 more meters of space between certain points. Or an extra flag or two in certain spots. Wonder if DICE ever tested hainan resort with 2 more flags configurations. Feel like it could make it a classic.

As for Conquest Mode

So far my good map list:
aka. which maps could i play on a 24/7 single map server
Hainan(Just wish it had more in between space)
Paracel Storm(When the storm hits this map is my jam)

Okay Maps:
aka pretty close to above but no cigar
Rogue Transmission(they need to break the symmetry of the capture points, the action gets very static very quickly)
Zavod(Some points can be completely flattened so the map sucks for high ticket, needs some sort of tweak)
Dawnbreaker(Why do they need jets, they should just have Littlebirds and Hueys, overall map arch is good)

Bad Maps:
aka please be on continuous rotation
Operation Locker(Still Metro, fun on Pistol only servers though)
Lancang Dam(The island point is the laziest excuse for a capture target ever)
Shanghai(Ugh)
Flood Zone(aka camp this building till tickets run out)

I have not played the Highway map which honestly is kinda giving me a bad foreboding considering some of the servers i played on have the next map voting.

One map style that was invented kinda with BC2 that I like due the size scaling making Metro's problems irrelevant are the designed for Rush, but usable for Conquest linear maps. They had some idea of this with that stupid tunnel map on BF3 but they bottlenecked it too much.

I thought they had some good maps with BF3 with good point segregation and spacing like Kharg and they kinda went a bit cuckoo for some designs.

I played a 64 player Rush on Paracel and I wanted to kill myself trying to even get on that god forsaken aircraft carrier.

TheSeks

I played a 64 player Rush on Paracel and I wanted to kill myself trying to even get on that god forsaken aircraft carrier.

Well, there's your problem: Rush is designed for 32 players in mind.

Why the fuck the PC playerbase continues to put it at 64, I'll never know. It drives me bonkers being on attack in 64-players mostly because it's IMPOSSIBLE to get any movement if the team is good at defending.

Like you said: The aircraft carrier becomes a total clusterfuck because there's too many enemies than it's designed for being on it to where you can't get on it because 16+ more enemies will spot you and fire on you.

It's too early for me to rank the maps for Rush or Obliteration. I tried some TDM and they made those slightly bigger and "wall off" accessible areas in Oblit and Rush. Kinda neat to see DICE use that trick from BC2 but also kinda lazy...

Also did some Domination and it's not bad, but I don't really care for it.

vixlar

I first played with DMR today. I don't know why, but I really liked it. I did the DMR eficiency ribbon in my first game. For reference, I only have three other weapon ribbons at all. It is somewhat challenging to play without a proper scope, but once I got a 4x scope, it was really great.

More of the maps weren't balanced around Rush. That's why it's garbage. They figured out how to make a worst version of Isla Inocentes.

One of the maps had attackers in extremely close proximity to the M-COMs.

ISOM

I really hate hardcore sometimes. Since it takes a couple of seconds for the team id to appear on friendlies you end up killing guys at distance because you think they are the enemy.

scogoth

Wow so played some BC2 for old times sake, daaaaaamn that was as poorly designed game. Audio cues, player movement, weapons, hit detection, everything seems so rudimentary.

terrible

Banned
I really hate hardcore sometimes. Since it takes a couple of seconds for the team id to appear on friendlies you end up killing guys at distance because you think they are the enemy.

I hate friendly fire in any game. My shoot reflexes are too fast for my brain. I can slow things down to make sure it's an enemy but that fraction of a second hesitation takes away my main skill lol. Needless to say I don't play hardcore.

After getting this for PS4 on Black Friday.
besides all the technical issues(crashes every other round) I am extremely disappointed in the graphics.
Its isn't noticeably better than BF3 on PS3 besides almost no pop in. The guns especially just look so flat.
Also the lazy character models to fps(Chinese soldiers wearing all black but have camo in 1st person view, characters with rolled up sleeves or gear on the forearm but generic arms in 1st person ) view annoy the hell out of me, even BF3 didn't have that problem.

After getting this for PS4 on Black Friday.
besides all the technical issues(crashes every other round) I am extremely disappointed in the graphics.
Its isn't noticeably better than BF3 on PS3 besides almost no pop in. The guns especially just look so flat.
Also the lazy character models to fps(Chinese soldiers wearing all black but have camo in 1st person view, characters with rolled up sleeves or gear on the forearm but generic arms in 1st person ) view annoy the hell out of me, even BF3 didn't have that problem.

Fuck no

ISOM

I hate friendly fire in any game. My shoot reflexes are too fast for my brain. I can slow things down to make sure it's an enemy but that fraction of a second hesitation takes away my main skill lol. Needless to say I don't play hardcore.

lol I understand what you mean. I got kicked off two servers for maxing out teamkilling. And this was all accidents mind you.

isual

do any of you guys experience some sort of 'checkered' bug in the flood zone map whenever you're in the tactical map view ?

it's usually in the middle area or to the right; they're like some sort of small white boxes that form a zigzag diagram of sorts.

flood-zone-overview.jpg

derFeef

So how does knife-counter work? I try it every time without luck, and then one time I got a prompt without doing anything...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So how does knife-counter work? I try it every time without luck, and then one time I got a prompt without doing anything...
I think it's only possible if an enemy tries to knife you from the front. Like, when you're face-to-face.

Grief.exe

Enemy has to knife you from the front.

As soon as you see the knife animation play out, just start mashing on your knife button and you will kill the person trying to knife you.

Really? I think it's better than Conquest so far. At least on console. Conquest is just a lag fest and can't even get over 40fps in most cases.

I personally think some of the maps were badly designed for Rush. Dice somehow managed to make a map worst than the worst map in BC2.

Operation Locker and Parcel Storm is so shitty.
Zavod 311 has literally has the Attackers spawning too close to the M-COMs.

I like Dawnbreaker and Golmud Railway though.

The thrill of Rush is gone because Levelution sucks ass compared to Destruction 2.0. This game was not designed for Rush. It's an afterthought. There is no M-COMs inside destructible buildings at all.

Xevren

do any of you guys experience some sort of 'checkered' bug in the flood zone map whenever you're in the tactical map view ?

it's usually in the middle area or to the right; they're like some sort of small white boxes that form a zigzag diagram of sorts.

flood-zone-overview.jpg

Yeah it's happened to me a number of times. No idea what causes it or anything though.

I personally think some of the maps were badly designed for Rush. Dice somehow managed to make a map worst than the worst map in BC2.

Operation Locker and Parcel Storm is so shitty.
Zavod 311 has literally has the Attackers spawning too close to the M-COMs.

I like Dawnbreaker and Golmud Railway though.

The thrill of Rush is gone because Levelution sucks ass compared to Destruction 2.0. This game was not designed for Rush. It's an afterthought. There is no M-COMs inside destructible buildings at all.

Worst map for Rush imo, especially the first mcoms(probably the worst thought out of the series).
Attackers have an elevated spawn with sniper spots all over. Defenders have zero coverage from their spawn to the mcom buildings, if attackers have 2 good snipers then that set is automatic.

Worst map for Rush imo, especially the first mcoms(probably the worst thought out of the series).
Attackers have an elevated spawn with sniper spots all over. Defenders have zero coverage from their spawn to the mcom buildings, if attackers have 2 good snipers then that set is automatic.

I think Parcel storm is the worst. An enclosed island that is only accessible with boats and choppers. Both M-COMS are so close together so it's easy to cover both. It's such a tiny area as well.

Locker is just a terrible map overall. Might be great for deathmatch or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom