• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

gossi

Just to report with the latest patch I'm crashing more. Also found a bug where I become invincible. Will report that one.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm beginning to think the China Rising maps kind of suck.

For some reason they almost all feel really strangely designed (maybe even rushed), especially Silk Road and Dragon Pass. I like how large Altai Range is (it's the only map in BF4 that makes me go, "WOAH!" at its scale) but at the same time it's like if you end up on foot with no transport vehicles around you have to walk 10 miles with almost no cover just to get anywhere. It's so wide open, it feels like you're constantly being shot at from miles away even in vehicles. Guilin Peaks, aside from the cavern control point, is kind of forgettable in my opinion. It's like a bunch of copy--paste bases spread out in a circular fashion around that central point. It has some seriously weird "Return to the Combat Area!" boundaries as well. Some of them don't even make sense to me. I will say that I think it plays the best compared to the other maps, even if it isn't all that memorable. There are some truly hellacious firefights that occur in and around the caverns!

I've also noticed that all of the maps but Silk Road have this "washed out" effect going on similar to Bad Company 2's Vietnam add-on. Then there's the fact that every map but Altai Range is just plain ugly. Silk Road looks laughably bad compared to every other map and the lighting on Guilin Peaks and Dragon Valley seems very artificial and just plain "off" to me.

What do you guys think about the new maps? Do you feel the same way I do or do you actually like them? As someone who prefers playing in vehicles whenever possible I appreciate that every map but Guilin Peaks features a huge assortment of them, but at the same time I feel like I honestly have more fun playing in vehicles on the vanilla maps because they're just better designed (most of them, at least).

I feel almost the complete opposite. I think of the four, Altai Pass or Silk Road have the most boring design, but I don't think they're altogether horrible. I love the design of Guilin Peaks--the map has a very good flow/feel to it, even if some of the outer bases do look very similar (I think that's more of an issue with the "hut" design they chose for most of the CPs, though).

As far as visuals, I think Altai is the most boring. There are comparisons to Alborz from BF3 but I think Alborz trumps it. Dragon Pass has some gorgeous locales (the golden brown" feel of the map is a bit exaggerated for me, but whatever) and I actually think Silk Road is pretty beautiful in certain parts.

Overall, I think it's a solid map pack. Not their best, but not horrible by a long shot.

Facism

Alborz was a seriously sexy map.

Silk Road is just so empty outside of D flag. The rest of the bases feel like they've been copy-pasted with no real thought behind them. Would have been nice to have had a small town somewhere in the map.

Silk Road is just so empty outside of D flag. . . . Would have been nice to have had a small town somewhere in the map.

Agreed! A small town would've been really cool, that way you'd have a mixture of open desert battles and close quarters building-to-building fighting. It seems like there just aren't enough Battlefield 4 maps that offer a nice mixture like that.

zma1013

I've come to the conclusion that China Rising maps suck. The only decent one is that small jungle one. The others are 100% vehicle spam fests with no cover between bases for infantry to travel and in some case, no cover at bases at all. Sight-lines in some are end to end so it's just tank and LAV gunners spamming machine gun and spotting 100% of the time. I don't know about you guys, but I like my maps with diversity.

PC patch notes updated with this minor, inconsequential fix:

Dec 9 PC Game Update Notes
Shot behind cover when changing stance
Sometimes the character stance could get into a multiple frame desync and be part of the problem where you got shot even though your character was actually behind cover. This would mostly affect players doing transitions into crouch and prone as well as moving when crouched. The impact was smaller in a standing stance. This bug fix eliminates this particular desync issue.

We have also increased the camera height when crouching and moving to more accurately reflect the actual height of your soldier in that stance (the first person camera was too low when crouching and moving, resulting in that you had a poor representation of how much of your soldier that was actually out of cover.)

I actually had a solid week of games this week--few crashes, compared to the first month. Only time I consistently had crashes was Siege of Shanghai, of course.

iso135

I've come to the conclusion that China Rising maps suck. The only decent one is that small jungle one. The others are 100% vehicle spam fests with no cover between bases for infantry to travel and in some case, no cover at bases at all. Sight-lines in some are end to end so it's just tank and LAV gunners spamming machine gun and spotting 100% of the time. I don't know about you guys, but I like my maps with diversity.

Concur. Small jungle map is the only one I really like. Though I think Altai and Dragon Pass are passable. Only one that really irks me is Silk Road.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huh, was that way I continued to take damage when I was in cover? Weird "bug" since half the time I was standing and sprinting behind cover when I continued to take damage.

Huh, was that way I continued to take damage when I was in cover? Weird "bug" since half the time I was standing and sprinting behind cover when I continued to take damage.

That is not a bug, that is lag +- bad netcode...
It's perfectly explained by this GIF :
R8u9cr5.gif

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/1ry5q4/bf4_net_code_explained_in_one_gif/

Anybody's up for a play on PS4 ?

Overdoziz

Banned
I wonder if that glitch in BF3 still exists where you can go prone while your camera and 'weapon' are still at standing height so you can shoot people from behind cover. Don't think I've ever seen DICE say anything about that. I could be wrong, though.

Ocho

After more than a couple rounds of China, I feel the only map were vehicles are truly advantageous is Altai (although going up the hill is a slow walk were they are very vulnerable). Even so, in F or B the hordes of infantry got me a couple of times by sheer numbers.

Silk Road is very infantry friendly. People are playing it wrong if they keep getting caught out of positions. The dunes and creeks make this map very easy for a couple of engineers to blow a tank in no time, and most of the time, me inside a tank, can't do much about it. They come out from everywhere. D is my worst nightmare as a tank whore. Mines can be set up very effectively.

Dragon Pass has a slight advantage to vehicles, but most of the points have some type of cover for a few save tank shots. Once again, D and C are very difficult for me to capture.

After more than a couple rounds of China, I feel the only map were vehicles are truly advantageous is Altai (although going up the hill is a slow walk were they are very vulnerable). Even so, in F or B the hordes of infantry got me a couple of times by sheer numbers.

Silk Road is very infantry friendly. People are playing it wrong if they keep getting caught out of positions. The dunes and creeks make this map very easy for a couple of engineers to blow a tank in no time, and most of the time, me inside a tank, can't do much about it. They come out from everywhere. D is my worst nightmare as a tank whore. Mines can be set up very effectively.

Dragon Pass has a slight advantage to vehicles, but most of the points have some type of cover for a few save tank shots. Once again, D and C are very difficult for me to capture.

This. I'm surprised to see these complaints about Silk Road, as it feels VERY infantry friendly with all the hiding spots available. Altai feels designed FOR vehicles, but even the radio tower/radio tower hill offers some good close quarters fighting for infantry.

I don't think these maps are up there with the best, but that doesn't make them bad. It's a crime that they lost the verticality of Dragon Valley with Dragon Pass, but it's still a solid map.

TheSeks

The only map in China Rising I like is Silk Road. But that's because it's bright and sunny so I can see shit without DICE's dark filters blurring everything together at times. :/

But I haven't been past the first set in Rush.

Grief.exe

I got those China maps downloaded as part of the pre-order Limited edition, but I'm not able to join any of the maps in-game, claims I need to buy premium. What's the trick here?

I was able to gain access through China Rising through a quick registry edit.

It seems that the servers only check client side whether you have access to premium or not, and don't bother with account checking.

The only map in China Rising I like is Silk Road. But that's because it's bright and sunny so I can see shit without DICE's dark filters blurring everything together at times. :/

But I haven't been past the first set in Rush.

I've noticed you always have the opposite opinions of everyone else.

scogoth

I like all the maps except Dragon Pass which always seems to be a staring contest on D. Its too hard to push through the open fields between C-B and E when you can have an AA and/or tank just sitting on E/C. I think they need to open up the back passage way to G and add a flanking route to A to allow the battle to push back and forth. Or maybe un-nerf the Attack Heli so it can break the line =)

And silk road is pretty awesome for vehicles if you stay out of D. Maybe I just like it because when we have 5 drunks in vehicles we tend to dominate.

I like all the maps except Dragon Pass which always seems to be a staring contest on D. Its too hard to push through the open fields between C-B and E when you can have an AA and/or tank just sitting on E/C. I think they need to open up the back passage way to G and add a flanking route to A to allow the battle to push back and forth. Or maybe un-nerf the Attack Heli so it can break the line =)

And silk road is pretty awesome for vehicles if you stay out of D. Maybe I just like it because when we have 5 drunks in vehicles we tend to dominate.

I wonder if the D chokepoint will let up once everyone stops fapping over the bomber. I miss being able to lone wolf it across the hilly edges of the map like in Dragon Valley.

Silk Road is great for vehicles or infantry. I don't get the hate.

If anyone struggles in vehicles, xFactor has a good video on how to not expose yourself during firefights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxEo5JUIYZA

scogoth

I wonder if the D chokepoint will let up once everyone stops fapping over the bomber. I miss being able to lone wolf it across the hilly edges of the map like in Dragon Valley.

The good news is, until the UCAV gets nerfed, its a lot of fun to troll people waiting for the bomber.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So apparently I have a broke-ass PS4... they are going to send me another one. But it'll be a few days BF bros.

lol... never ends.

TheSeks

I've noticed you always have the opposite opinions of everyone else.

I'm a rebel, what can I say?

But honestly, Silk Road is a vehicle map more than anything and out of China Rising's maps that's fine with me. The others are wayyyy too big or too obstructing view for infantry-to-infantry combat. Whereas Silk Road you can see people coming and going and hide behind the dunes.

The only major complaint I have is the lack of being able to blow the Dunes around/having wind change the map but that's lack of Levolution and stuff more than anything.

Honestly, Oman is going to replace Silk Road for my "Desert Map" but that was pretty obvious over the tears of joy I shed for it when it was shown off.

Evolved1 said:
So apparently I have a broke-ass PS4... they are going to send me another one. But it'll be a few days BF bros.

lol... never ends.

Should've gotten a PC, bro. *DealwithitDog.gif* :p

TheSeks

"Less of a headache" isn't among them.

Outside of software compatibility issues due to poor ports, I haven't had major issues (yet). Steam solves most of that, anyway. But I'm just joking with you and you know that.

Scogoth said:
The good news is, until the UCAV gets nerfed, its a lot of fun to troll people waiting for the bomber.

I still need to get the UCAV. But Jet kills.... WHY.jpg :(

Grief.exe

There are many very good reasons for getting a PC over console.

"Less of a headache" isn't among them.

After reading the, 'how many consoles have you owned thread,' I can't believe the console failure rates don't get more press. It really is out of control.

The majority of my parts have a 5 year, if not lifetime, warranty, not that I have ever had any problems with parts.

When you can pick your own parts that aren't made by the lowest bidder, with the best warranties, and have great cooling systems, you have less issues.

Nice to know I'm not alone. :)

I would almost consider myself to be a vehicle whore (although most of my time has been spent as Assault using the AK-12) and even I think the maps are overkill. It isn't even necessarily their size, but how they're designed. They're so wide open and there's so little cover, it's basically a 3D spotting fest with vehicles shelling infantry and one another across ludicrous ranges 24/7 (Altai Range, especially). Not a fan at all. Guilin Peaks is pretty cool, though, and arguably the single best infantry-based map Battlefield has seen in a long time.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Sorry man :(

It's okay, honestly... I have zero time off over the next few days anyway. I was quite aggravated before (mostly because I couldn't figure what the problem was -- still don't exactly know) but they said they would overnight it all and pay the shipping, so whatever I guess.

I'll probably have a working PS4 before we have a working BF4.

haha :(

Grief.exe

Nice to know I'm not alone. :)

I would almost consider myself to be a vehicle whore (although most of my time has been spent as Assault using the AK-12) and even I think the maps are overkill. It isn't even necessarily their size, but how they're designed. They're so wide open and there's so little cover, it's basically a 3D spotting fest with vehicles shelling infantry and one another across ludicrous ranges 24/7 (Altai Range, especially). Not a fan at all. Guilin Peaks is pretty cool, though, and arguably the single best infantry-based map Battlefield has seen in a long time.

I wish I knew whether players were on console or PCs.

I can see why you would use an AK12 on consoles, but I would recommend a different gun for assault on PCs.

Sar21 is another example, I'm sure many people use that gun on consoles but it is considered non-competitive on PC.

I wish I knew whether players were on console or PCs.

I can see why you would use an AK12 on consoles, but I would recommend a different gun for assault on PCs.

Sar21 is another example, I'm sure many people use that gun on consoles but it is considered non-competitive on PC.

I'm playing on PC. I've just been using the AK-12 since it's worked so well for me from day one (and even in the beta) and I've absolutely been shredding people with it. I use a 3.4x scope, laser sight, and suppressor and can take on just about anyone from close to medium range

Which AR would you recommend as an alternative? I'm close to having every unlock for the AK-12 and I plan on switching to another AR once I reach that point.

Alpende

Today was unbearable. It crashed 3 or 4 times and I played 6 games or something. I just hope they fix that shit asap. Balancing of weapons comes later, stabilize that shit first.

Grief.exe

ACE23 and L85 are very similar in terms of recoil, except they have much higher RPM which results in lower TTK at any range.

They probably have a slightly higher recoil than the AK12.

Someone with an AK12 was tearing us up yesterday, so much that I even thought it was a little suspicious. However, I haven't used the AK12 in forever, so I forget how good or bad it is.

I actually really like the SAR21. I've been an M416 and ACE 23 whore for the past few weeks and gave the SAR21 a fair shake last week. I am really happy with it, especially at mid-long range. Very good rifle.

Grief.exe

I was just looking at Chubz's profile and I noticed he had spent a long time in vehicles, about 26% of his total BF4 playtime.

I looked at my profile, .05%.

It's okay, honestly... I have zero time off over the next few days anyway. I was quite aggravated before (mostly because I couldn't figure what the problem was -- still don't exactly know) but they said they would overnight it all and pay the shipping, so whatever I guess.

I'll probably have a working PS4 before we have a working BF4.

haha :(
We need to get together like old times.

We'll be waiting.

I was just looking at Chubz's profile and I noticed he had spent a long time in vehicles, about 26% of his total BF4 playtime.

I looked at my profile, .05%.

Yeah, if a tank or APC is available I'll usually grab it in a heartbeat and go on a rampage. If they were always available my percentage would probably be even higher (over 50% no doubt)! LOL

Grief.exe

Unlocking stuff fucking sucks, I just want to play the game.

That double XP event was so good for this. I unlocked all of the carbines, pistols, PDWs, and engineer kit quite quickly due to that event.
I wish I hadn't waited to unlock DMR's until after that, I am so close to getting the SCAR, which is, apparently, the best one. I might just wait until DMR's get a much needed buff.

There is another double XP event going on now for premium members, but giving EA money is silly as it is.

antitrop

That double XP event was so good for this. I unlocked all of the carbines, pistols, PDWs, and engineer kit quite quickly due to that event.
I wish I hadn't waited to unlock DMR's until after that, I am so close to getting the SCAR, which is, apparently, the best one. I might just wait until DMR's get a much needed buff.

There is another double XP event going on now for premium members, but giving EA money is silly as it is.

Yeah, I have Premium, but I was busy with work last week, so I missed like 99% of the event.

Also playing a match for like 45 minutes only to have it crash at the ending screen and not save any XP/Unlocks whatever about had me at full rage capacity.

I've probably wasted about at least 5 hours of gameplay (about 1/3 of my total time) with no progress towards unlocks, and I'm already sick of unlock systems as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom