• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Facism

I was going to say the same thing.

Dude went 30-13 and capped 32 flags, and their squad made up the top members of that team. Your work was cut out for you going up against those guys.

No doubt, but a better defensive effort on our side would have won the game. too many people pinging from flags instead of holding the centre of the map and occasionally mopping up our home flags. So many times we stretched thin only to let the enemy through and cap and hold the majority of the flags.

It wasn't a shit game by any stretch, just frustrating that it was winnable combined with one of the better rounds I've managed in this game. Had a 12 kill streak securing E early in the game, which involved C4 on both a MBT and IVF. Was sloppy sex, i tell you. Best BF4 moment I've had since it's been out.

Spl1nter

Battlefield with custom rules such as no 3d spotting, no health or vehicle regen, only spawning on squad leaders, no ammo count or health bar and 100% life. That's the best server there is, and thankfully there are quite a few of those. It promotes teamplay and not just shooting the doritos while spamming the spot key (aka the wallhack key).

Also kind of breaks air gameplay. Also dont understand why people wouldnt want to know ammo and health. Just nice information to have so you can make better decisions in game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can see why people would want lack of 3D spotting and health regen. But not allowing spawning in some modes from all squad members is just crazy. The health being lower is just crazy given you already have a lower than BF3 TTK.

@Facism: Shut up with the sex analogies and help me with my jet medals. ;_;

Spl1nter

I can see why people would want lack of 3D spotting and health regen. But not allowing spawning in some modes from all squad members is just crazy. The health being lower is just crazy given you already have a lower than BF3 TTK.

Not health regen and 3d spotting seriously fucks up jet gameplay.

Zeppelin

So, as it stands, how would you guys rate the maps? I think my list is something like this:

The Good
  1. Golmud Railway - I like this map very much. Good mix of infantry and vehicle combat. Kind of reminds me of Caspian.
  2. Guilin Peaks - Like this a lot for some reason. A firefight is always close by and you can always get around your enemy. Mid flag is overrated.
  3. Paracel Storm - Probably the coolest map in any multiplayer game I've played. B flag is a bit OP though, with both spawning the gunship and the mobile AA. Most important flag on the map by far.
  4. Rogue Transmission - Love the hills and the area between C and E. M18 Crymores in the stairs at E is a lot of fun. Feels like A flag is a bit broken though, rarely comes into play and is very hard to keep if you're not the team spawning close to it.

The Decent
  1. Dawnbreaker - I feel nothing.
  2. Dragon Pass - A bit too outstretched for my taste. Kind of like how safe you feel as infantry while moving between flags though! Lots of little hills and rocks and shit.
  3. Zavod 311 - Quite cool at times. Advancing through the woods towards F is underrated. Can be quite frustrating to spot enemies sometimes though.
  4. Silk Road - Can be very fun if you're fighting over D. Quite boring as infantry otherwise.
  5. Altai Range - Haven't played this a lot but the flags feel too open for infatry.

The Ugly
  1. Siege of Shanghai - The only point on this map I like is the area between D and E. The roof opposite to the skyscraper (on the other side of the road) is underrated though, very fun with a sniper rifle.
  2. Hainan Resort - Something about this map just doesn't work for me. Fighting over C isn't very fun. Has great potential though, but I don't know how they could fix it.
  3. Flood Zone - Don't like the water and the roofs tend to be owned by a single team to often. D is a weird flag.
  4. Operation Locker - It's like Metro but with three chokes instead. Once some breaks through it can be fun with a shotgun
  5. Lancang Dam - Not feeling this map at all. The mobile AA makes air useless and infantry combat is boring.

So, as it stands, how would you guys rate the maps?
The Good
There are no good maps in BF4, so I'd go with:

Strike At Karkand
Road to Jalalabad
Mashtuur City
Shariqi Peninsular
Gulf Of Oman

Which begs the question: do EA/Dice have any plans to bring these to BF4?

The Decent
Paracel Storm - Possibly my favourite map, but mainly for technical reasons and not gameplay.
Golmud Railway - Pretty good. The terrain and distances between flags leads to a nice mix of infantry, tanks and air.
Rogue Transmission - Again, not too bad, but the lack of cover between some flags makes life difficult for infantry.
Zavod 311 - C and D are of no real interest, but A and F have produced some great battles.
Siege of Shanghai - An average map.

The Ugly
Flood Zone - Probably my favourite bad map. The rooftops, alleyways and stairs allow for interesting gameplay, but overall quite boring.
Dawnbreaker - I can't quite put my finger on why I dislike this map, but I do.
Hainan Resort - Seems to have been designed with no clear plan in mind.
Operation Locker - Slightly better than Metro. Instead of having one single exterior path to the north, the entire area above the prison should have been opened for combat, allowing for multiple routes across the mountain and more snow fights!
Lancang Dam - feels similar to Hainan Resort.

Spl1nter

Every map is good except for dam and dawnbreaker. Both would be a lot better with different point and vehicle sets.

I think Zavod and Hainan if they had been slightly enlarged would be even better.

Really cant wait until everyone can play China Rising. Aside from Paracel and Rogue, they are such fun maps when you are rolling with a coordinated squad and require it really to win.

Jalalabad was a shit map. Felt like a shitty community made map. Mashtuur is nothing special compared to strike, sharqi and gulf.

TheSeks

Speaking of China Rising, I need to get in
line
the Bombing Run kills before EVERYONE camps it even more. :/

Dug

Banned
BbQIkV4CAAAGO2H.jpg:large

I'm never going to the SUAV/The trophy for getting a kill with the Bomber, am I?

wrongway

Map review time? Map review time.
(in no particular order, as someone who primarily plays infantry)

Favorites:

- Shanghai -- I like how unique each flag plays out like a unique 'arena' moreso than points on other maps, and how much things change if/when the tower comes down. It's the most 'gamey' of all the maps, if that makes sense.
- Zavod -- A simple but very aggressive, rough-and-tumble map. Tends to force tons of frenetic infantry combat despite being an outdoor map, but also provides lots of cover for sneaking about.

Good:

- Dawnbreaker -- Doesn't feel as well-structured as Shanghai, but still makes for some interesting urban combat. Zooming between buildings in the scout helo is lots of fun.
- Flood Zone -- Lots of opportunities for infantry shenanigans in the middle area. The parking garage on the US side (I think?) has been home to some real amusing cat-and-mouse fights. Sometimes gets annoying to navigate when the map's been flooded.
- Golmud Railway -- Upper and middle section makes for some cool almost BC2-style fights with buildings getting blasted to bits. The lower half has fun terrain for tank fights, without being so open that infantry can't move between points on foot if needed.
- Rogue Transmission -- Had plenty of good back-and-forth games here. Sometimes it can get hard to move around as infantry if enemy vehicles are well supported, but it usually seems pretty balanced regarding infantry vs vehicle. Lots of opportunities for sniping and having fun at the expense of bad snipers.

Meh:

- Lancang Dam -- The fights for the upper two points can be fun, but the island is painfully mediocre. There needs to be something there beyond a rock, a hill, and a few trees. Great map if you want to sit in an AA tank uncontested all game, though.
- Paracel Storm -- Tends to have wonky pacing. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's lots of sitting on your hands on defense or swimming around to find a fight. Often involves lots of getting facerolled by attack boats and/or attack jets. It's the most fun when using the scout helo to island-hop with some friends.
- Hainan Resort -- Don't know what to make of this one, really. It's not very large, yet it feels like it lacks cohesion. Seems like there's always a big fight to gain ownership of the top of the hotel, but then whoever owns the roof loses the game as a third of the team goes up there to dick around.

Garbage:

- Operation Locker -- It's better than Metro. That's not saying much.

zma1013

They got it.

1. Go to battlelog and leaderboards.
2. In the bottom left you can see a small image of a skull. Click it.
3. When prompted, enter password "bumpinthenight"

You'll now see the Phantom Prospect assignment in your Assignments:

Score 200 kills with Assault rifles0/200
Score 200 kills with Main battle tanks0/200
Get a 300 meter headshot0/300

Receive Phantom Program dog tag.

I can't type when I get to the prompt. WTF?

Zeppelin

...am I the only one who likes Flood Zone?

I don't know... I just feel it's a weird map. It's like, it has this great potential for some good cat and mouse play with all the cat walks, corridors and stairwells etc. but there's rarely much going on with it. Maybe if they moved the D flag to somewhere below B and C I would like it more. Right now I just want to get back up on the roof tops as soon as I find myself on the ground.

The parking house can be fun att times, but its layout is really boring.

The Good
There are no good maps in BF4, so I'd go with:

Strike At Karkand
Road to Jalalabad
Mashtuur City
Shariqi Peninsular
Gulf Of Oman

Wouldn't mind going back to Karkand for a third time. <3 Sharqi

I can't type when I get to the prompt. WTF?

Doesn't work in Firefox. Use Chrome or IE.

Milennia

Zavod 311 is definitely my favorite map so far.

Mine as well, i have my absolute best games there.

I know the mal inside and out and flank nearly every encounter if my team has at least pushed them up to E.

Really wasmt expecting it to be that great imo.

My most hates maps atm, are -
- flood zone (if your team doesnt control the middle of the map and the damn is broken, it becomes a grind just to get back up top) however i do have some good games here too, just less frequent. I also crash nearly every time i play this map, so that could have something to do with it.

-lancang (i just dread this map most of the time, sometimes i feel like i enjoy it however) when i get better at tank play ill enjoy it more, as i hate playing as infantry on that map for some reason, even though its perfectly playable and even good in sense, technically.

-siege (crash of shanghai, mostly) also played the shit out of it in beta etc. so i guess im bored of it.

- golmud...(i enjoy this map maybe 30% of the time, the other 70% i wish i was better at vehicle gameplay , which im working on)

- silk road-dragon pass (same as above really, im working on my tank gameplay etc. so maybe ill like them more)

Guilin and Zavod are easily my favorite maos however, the others i didnt mention i relatively enjoy.

TheSeks

Open keyboard/mouse utility > new macro > press 'e' no delay > camp bomber > lose game because everyone is camping the bomber

I still got 11-12 kills with the bomber to get for the second assignment attached to it. :/ Maybe I should do this, but that's kinda a dick move. :/

Especially since my bombing runs don't hit shit.

Spl1nter

I still got 11-12 kills with the bomber to get for the second assignment attached to it. :/ Maybe I should do this, but that's kinda a dick move. :/

Especially since my bombing runs don't hit shit.

Dont worry once you get those kills you will have the glorious cruise missile to rain down actual destruction with.

TheSeks

The problem is no one spots shit so I'm having to spot and then someone shoots them as I'm setting bombing runs up. It's mega frustrating. >:|

That and the Jet medals. WHY.jpg DICE WHY.jpg

vixlar

Wow, what a missed opportunity with the grenade launcher. Given that you can zero with the sniper it would be cool if you can use properly the launcher's aim. It only aims on 250, but I think even that is wrong, the grenade does not go more than 50 meters (maybe is 250 feet)

And I think that when you chose the aim for your weapons, it should show how you see trough it instead of a side image.

Milennia

What day is china rising dropping for everyone else? I kind of want to wait as i cant find many games atm and i really need silk road for phantom prospect.

Grief.exe

What day is china rising dropping for everyone else? I kimdof want to wait as i cant find many games atm and i really need silk road for phantom prospect.

The 16th.

If you don't have premium, but pre-ordered the game and own the DLC, there is a registry edit that can allow you to play premium maps.

Seems BF4 checks your client instead of your account if you are a Premium member. I've been playing since launch and I never plan on picking up Premium.

Milennia

The 16th.

If you don't have premium, but pre-ordered the game and own the DLC, there is a registry edit that can allow you to play premium maps.

Seems BF4 checks your client instead of your account if you are a Premium member. I've been playing since launch and I never plan on picking up Premium.

Im already premium, i just meant that i couldn't find fuck all for games, especially silk road just yet :p

The 16th, thanks thats soon thank fuck.

I heard you only have to get a pistol kill, grenade kill, and defib in a round. The assault ribbons is unnecessary if you already have 3. I wonder if that is true.

Milennia

I heard you only have to get a pistol kill, grenade kill, and defib in a round. The assault ribbons is unnecessary if you already have 3. I wonder if that is true.

Its not true at all.

Once you unlock the main requirements for an assignment then you have to do the kill or ribbon requirements again.

So for phantom prospect for example, if you had say 1000 mbt kills before... They mean nothing until you get 200 more.

But assault ribbons are easy as shit anyway.

I guess I'll have to do it in Domination then. Getting 18 assault kills in Obliteration is a hit or miss with all the running around, and some rounds end way too fast.

kitch9

Banned
I bought this on PC with premium. Im playing with a 7850 OC at 1080p/everything high. Im guessing at 40-60fps.

I kinda want the game on X1. Would it be a big downgrade or is it just as good on X1 ? The 720p kinda bother me though so Im not sure

oops wanted to post this in the console thread. But maybe someone here played both versions too ?

The main issue I have with the PC is people packing high resolution mice who love to snipe in the hills and somehow headshot you whilst running and jumping.

Milly79

So, as it stands, how would you guys rate the maps?

After 100 hours on ps4 I have to say I really only dislike Golmud. It's too vehicle heavy and way too open to really run between points without getting picked off. Flood Zone gets a meh, at least lately. Just cannot find a rhythm most times.

I'm still in the beginnings stages of MP and found that I unlocked 3 dogtags last night somehow. One says that I completed the "scorched" assignment but I cannot find any information on what that even is. I even googled and found nothing on the first results page.

I see the assignments section on Battlelog but don't see any of these three that I unlocked. Where can I find what these are for?

Stainless

Tried to play last night, first time since Dec2nd patch. Sound loop crash after 3 games. I noticed on one of their posts, they put out a list of issues they're addressing, but the status of sound loop crash is "investigating", stating they're trying to duplicate the issue...which means they have no idea wtf to do to fix it.

Jito

Banned
The 16th.

How are you playing the maps early? I've followed a tutorial and still no dice for me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom