• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I thought the patch actually helped something, but then today I try to play. Game still locks up sometimes between conquest matches, plus now I keep getting killed by people that should be dead by my gun when I see their health at 0. Yet there they are running around me and I'm on the ground.

JJD

There free maps in BC2 were mostly already on the disc since day 1, just not playable in all modes. I think there were only like 2 or 3 actual dlc maps. I much prefer the bf3/BF4 method of actually getting new maps, weapons gadgets and vehicles.

Really? I don't know, I remember downloading huge patches. A 2.5GB patch can't be only bug and glitch fixes and balancing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Really? I don't know, I remember downloading huge patches. A 2.5GB patch can't be only bug and glitch fixes and balancing.

Patches don't mean anything. The textures/etc. are already on the disc. The only thing that changed was out of bounds for modes. White Pass getting Squad Rush, for instance.

The ONLY "DLC" was Vietnam and Onslaught with maybe the SPECACT.

iirc only the first 2 or 3 of those map packs were on the disk. although the others were modifications to existing maps, you were still downloading the new game mode modifications/layouts.

Schlep

Lancang Dam is nearly unplayable now with the lag. Turns the AK 5C into a nice big marshmallow gun. Other maps seem to be fine for the most part.

Rizific

I don't get the skill thing in this game. It's so bizzare.

Usually I go anywhere between +8 to +25 in skill in a good CQ game.

Tried Obliteration today, on Rouge Transmission, went positive, planted a bomb, was top of the leaderboard...-24 skill. Wut.

i like when i join a game with 100 tickets left, play for 5 mins, get 5 kills, round ends, -25 skill. awesome. then some games ill go on a rampage with something like 42 kills and 8 deaths...+3 skill. love it.

Tabby

i like when i join a game with 100 tickets left, play for 5 mins, get 5 kills, round ends, -25 skill. awesome. then some games ill go on a rampage with something like 42 kills and 8 deaths...+3 skill. love it.

I wish I knew how they calculate the skill thing: it's ridiculous.
It's too easy to lose skill, and way to hard to gain skill.

TheSeks

Once again: Skill goes up or down based on killing someone higher skilled than you (up) or dying to someone lower skilled than you (down).

It's a bullshit stat and has been since BC1. I don't think BF4's changed it outside of showing it in Battlelog, so ignore it. It's pointless.

Omni

I'm getting one shot a lot tonight. Don't know what it is. I can put several bursts into an enemy and all of a sudden I die when he shoots me once :

Spl1nter

Skill isn't solely based on your overall cumulative stats. It's a rolling average based on recent performance and overall stats That's the reason it might not make sense at times. It's gauges your current play.

TheSeks

Oh, they changed it? Always thought it was the same in BF4. More you know.

EA/DICE should find another way to monetise the game. Maps should be free for anyone that bought the game new like BC2.

Fracturing the user base is always not a good thing. More than half of the DLC maps from BF3 were almost completely ignored.

I would be OK with selling weapons if they are properly balanced. Even the ACE family of guns for exemple on BF4.

You can do well with any gun in the game if you know what you're doing and play to the weapon strenghs.

Renting servers too is fine if it helps giving the maps for free. Premium should offer early access, weapons/accessories and double XP events only.

EA will eventually offer unlock packs that will get you every bonus item for that class, special battlepacks, more map packs, DLC-specific weaponry, etc. They will make a lot of money. I think they haven't started that yet because they would take a PR hit.

Not to mention the private servers! If they offered the maps as part of the server rental, they would sell a lot more of both. And they could let you mix and match maps and modes. One thing that Killzone has over Battlefield is Warzones and its mix of objectives.

Man I thought the patch actually helped something, but then today I try to play. Game still locks up sometimes between conquest matches, plus now I keep getting killed by people that should be dead by my gun when I see their health at 0. Yet there they are running around me and I'm on the ground.

The bug isn't that you were killed by someone with zero health, its that when you die it shows the killer at zero health. Knowing that doesn't stop me from complaining about it, though.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So is it normal for Battlefield 4 to pretty much freeze and take me back straight to the Xbox One home page? I can just restart BF4 right away (although granted, it does close the game so I have to restart the game and resume campaign) but it's pretty annoying. :/

So is it normal for Battlefield 4 to pretty much freeze and take me back straight to the Xbox One home page? I can just restart BF4 right away (although granted, it does close the game so I have to restart the game and resume campaign) but it's pretty annoying. :/

Normal? for a Battlefield game... probably.

Ocho

Does GAF have a server on PC?

Join GAF mumble. We are there when we paly.

We play many rounds! Not my fault you keep joining the last round we play =P

Usually the round we lose. Maybe Seks is guilty of this.

Right time being evening. Not like 1PM/13:00 on a weekday.

THIS. I'm waiting for the day they get jobs and have to play until 6pm+ (except Norua, I want him to be able to play until 5am french time). For now it's mostly weekends for me.

JJD

Good games tonight guys!

I played some new game modes today to unlock my last trophy and platinum the game and I gotta say Defuse is a lot of fun!!!

Played 2 matches some a shitty team and they would get killed leaving me alone to try to plant the bomb. I managed to kill 2 dudes but the other 3 got me and we lost most games.

Then I found a team were one guy helped me and we didn't lose a single game! The two other guys would goof around but thankfully distract the enemy while we would sneak around and do the job!

Very fun game mode specially if you play with friends/people that know what they are doing!

GAFSquad should try it sometime!

Good games tonight guys!

I played some new game modes today to unlock my last trophy and platinum the game and I gotta say Defuse is a lot of fun!!!

Played 2 matches some a shitty team and they would get killed leaving me alone to try to plant the bomb. I managed to kill 2 dudes but the other 3 got me and we lost most games.

Then I found a team were one guy helped me and we didn't lose a single game! The two other guys would goof around but thankfully distract the enemy while we would sneak around and do the job!

Very fun game mode specially if you play with friends/people that know what they are doing!

GAFSquad should try it sometime!

i played every map in every mode when i first got the game.

too many quitters in Defuse :(

Schlep

Nope, either/or for now. It's too bad, because I like China Rising (save for Silk Road), but I don't want to play the same small set of maps on repeat or have to reassemble the team in another server.
Did they ever end up making servers with all maps for BF3?

terrible

Banned
You bastard!!!

I focus too much on my front.

It's weird how useless footsteps can be in this game sometimes. At times I can hear people probably 15 feet away through gunfire and other times I'll get shot at point blank range from behind without hearing anything even though there were no distracting sounds around me at the time. I have a pretty good sound whoring setup too. I'm willing to go as far as to say that the footsteps mechanic is broken. No way should someone be able to sneak up on you in a hallway inside a building.

Milennia

It's weird how useless footsteps can be in this game sometimes. At times I can hear people probably 15 feet away through gunfire and other times I'll get shot at point blank range from behind without hearing anything even though there were no distracting sounds around me at the time. I have a pretty good sound whoring setup too. I'm willing to go as far as to say that the footsteps mechanic is broken. No way should someone be able to sneak up on you in a hallway inside a building.

It is very inconsistent, but it always was in battlefield.
What isn't, however, are the guns firing, which is what i base my movements on at this point.

Even silencers are loud as fuck. I would love for battlefield to get the same sound treatment as other AAA military shooters out there (because that narrows it down to about one), however i don't see it happening anytime soon, not even with the next installment, they barely talk about it.
We have war tapes, which does make the guns louder etc. but i mean full on sound treatment, meaning dynamic echos depending on environment etc, indoors outdoors, that whole deal.

terrible

Banned
It is very inconsistent, but it always was in battlefield.
What isn't, however, are the guns firing, which is what i base my movements on at this point.

Even silencers are loud as fuck. I would love for battlefield to get the same sound treatment as other AAA military shooters out there (because that narrows it down to about one), however i don't see it happening anytime soon, not even with the next installment, they barely talk about it.
We have war tapes, which does make the guns louder etc. but i mean full on sound treatment, meaning dynamic echos depending on environment etc, indoors outdoors, that whole deal.
You're right about footsteps never really being a thing with BF. With how excellent the gunfire has been since the BC games it's a bit disappointing that they haven't taken a similar approach with footsteps though. It'd be awesome.

Personally I don't like War Tapes in BF4. It feels like it just makes all sounds louder and it kind of kills the sense of space (soundstage) I normally get. I use Home Cinema w/ a Mixamp + a preamp + DT990s. I can pinpoint silenced gunfire like nobody's business with that setup.

I play with cheap speakers hahaha. I won't be able to hear it. Maybe later on I'll get headphones.

I'll still get knifed since I'm greedy.When I see a bunch of people, I got to kill them. Though today I did get knifed backing up the team on Op Locker.

Milennia

I play with cheap speakers hahaha. I won't be able to hear it. Maybe later on I'll get headphones.

I'll still get knifed since I'm greedy.When I see a bunch of people, I got to kill them. Though today I did get knifed backing up the team on Op Locker.

I play on 75% sensitivity and turn around for counter knives lol.

I use and optical/mix amp setup with some astro a40s that i hate, but do the job for now, its still decent 7.1, especially since i replaced that damn mixamp.

Any tips on how I can level up an engineer fast?

I need some rocket launchers to shoot those choppers out of the air because it seems like absolutely no one else does this. It's as if people just accept the fact that they will get shot by the choppers over and over again. There's a fucking engineer class with fucking rocket launchers to shoot the choppers out of the air, dammit!

Milennia

I need some rocket launchers to shoot those choppers out of the air because it seems like absolutely no one else does this. It's as if people just accept the fact that they will get shot by the choppers over and over again. There's a fucking engineer class with fucking rocket launchers to shoot the choppers out of the air, dammit!

Nothing specific.. Just play the class and use XP boosts, i guess i could recommend conquest since you have more vehicles to destroy and repair.

Omni

af79.png

I think I play too much Conquest. Ha

I'm bored with the MTAR. What other Carbines are decent again? I want something that will still be decent with a silencer

Milennia

Is it true that silencers cap the weapon velocity at 300?

That's why I love the 52 + silencer, the 52 already has low velocity of 400, so the performance hit with a silencer is minimal.

Iirc it is but thats the cap, not all silencers will do that depending on the weapon, Its usually the change in handling that throws people off.
I use them with both of those guns, i literally see now downside to it, as these 2 guns in particular take almost 0 hit in terms of handling and even range in most cases.

I never feel at a disadvantage with a silencer on these 2.

Edit : one i can think of, would be the rpk 74m (blanked on the name, the china rising shit lmg) actually is capped with a suppressor the last time i checked.

Rainy Dog

Is it true that silencers cap the weapon velocity at 300?

That's why I love the 52 + silencer, the 52 already has low velocity of 400, so the performance hit with a silencer is minimal.

Nope, not actually true. If you look at the advanced stats for each weapon on an individual basis at Symthic, you can see each guns suppressed velocity. The Ace 52 is 270ms for example, but some PDW's even go below 200ms.

TheSeks

too many quitters in Defuse :(

DATS CALL OF DUTY, BABY!

musashi/crak ... that Hainan game ... yes, *that* one ... -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7_e5IQ_1vU&t=577 ... skipping right to the fun part!

Ya'll playing Obliteration. Something PC-GAF will never do as a middle ground between "sustained firefights" (Rush) and "hoofing it for five minutes with nothing to do" (Conquest) *tears*

It's funny how I get owned left right and sideways in Counter-Strike due to the footsteps and speed-requirements for knife/non-walking versus Battlefield's "sprint full-speed at an enemy and knife them."

Frankly though, I don't want them to change it. Getting facerolled in Counter-Strike is humiliating enough. :(

Usually the round we lose. Maybe Seks is guilty of this.

I blame it on my "please let us lose so we can go to Obliteration/Rush" prayer.

THIS. I'm waiting for the day they get jobs and have to play until 6pm+ (except Norua, I want him to be able to play until 5am french time). For now it's mostly weekends for me.

Yeah, they're kids and they don't have responsibilities. *sunglasses*

Omni

Is there a way to counter being targeted by an enemy commander? It happened a few times tonight and it was starting to annoy. I wasn't camping or anything... it just made any kind of base capture impossible with a giant freaking marker on my head.

TheSeks

...Die?

Because no, there isn't. There's a timer on HVT but if you're a HVT you're doing too good for their team to take on so that's why you're targeted.

reggie

Banned
I'm an Ak5c guy but I've started using the ACE 52 CQB after you guys mentioned it just to mix things up. Loving it at the moment. Don't think it has as good accuracy/range but anything short/medium is fun as hell. How's the ACE 21 CQB compare?

I play engineer too and I'm up to level 13 now and I think I've had stingers since level 6 or 7. Best thing you can do is place land mines in a lot of high traffic areas and blow up vehicles with the RPG. Love using stingers on vehicles. Usually when people on my team ignore taking those out we lose the round since they end up controlling most of the checkpoints.

-edit- also I'm using the pp2000. Is there a better gun I should be using yet? What mods should I use on the pp2000?

reggie

Banned
I play engineer too and I'm up to level 13 now and I think I've had stingers since level 6 or 7. Best thing you can do is place land mines in a lot of high traffic areas and blow up vehicles with the RPG. Love using stingers on vehicles. Usually when people on my team ignore taking those out we lose the round since they end up controlling most of the checkpoints.

-edit- also I'm using the pp2000. Is there a better gun I should be using yet? What mods should I use on the pp2000?

Would like to hear others opinions but I've given up on PDWs, I feel like in all around situations carbines are a better choice.

Would like to hear others opinions but I've given up on PDWs, I feel like in all around situations carbines are a better choice. PDW-R was definitely a standout though.

I don't seem to have a carbine available yet? Around what level do those unlock? Or is it something I have to beat single player to unlock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom