• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DICE looking to regain its BASED title.
Great stuff.

First, we are further improving a number of items commonly referred to as “netcode”. This will tighten the overall multiplayer experience, and we will be able to share these items with you in detail soon. In February, we’re also re-introducing the fan favorite feature Platoons in its first iteration. In this added social layer, you can team up with your friends to create your own social space and accumulate stats together. We’re also working on other feature additions that you’ve been asking for – stay tuned for more.

A Battlepack a Day
Every day that you log into the game in February, you’ll receive a Bronze or Silver Battlepack. For those of you who haven’t started opening your earned packs yet, these Battlepacks contain bonuses like XP Boosts and soldier camos

Shortcut Bundles
We are preparing two shortcut bundles for Battlefield 4 that we will make available for download at no cost during the Player Appreciation Month. These voluntary shortcut bundles will unlock all grenades and handguns for Battlefield 4 (the base game) so you can make up for lost time. Or if you’re new to the game, they will help you catch up with players who have been on the Battlefield since launch. We will get back to you with more details once we have set release dates for these items.

For all of our Battlefield 4 Premium users, we’re adding two additional weapon shortcuts, unlocking DMR’s and shotguns. That way, if you like, you can quickly get your hands on a large portion of the weapons available in Battlefield 4.

A BATTLEPACK A DAY: BASED DICE

EA must really be getting some bad feedback, trade-in numbers, lower player counts, etc. They just cut themselves out of revenue from selling weapon unlocks. Still, it would be better public relations to actually FIX THE GAME!

Formosa, I like the SCAR-H, though I've moved on to the AEK-971, and you should have a carbine already unlocked. Just use it with any class to earn points to unlock the others.

Milennia

For some reason i thought they said there was a big patch today, but i guess its either today or next month for the stability.

On the other hand, based DICE for the free shit.

Now my PS4 account has all unlocks as well lol, was only missing shotguns and DMRs.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
EA must really be getting some bad feedback, trade-in numbers, lower player counts, etc. They just cut themselves out of revenue from selling weapon unlocks. Still, it would be better public relations to actually FIX THE GAME!

Formosa, I like the SCAR-H, though I've moved on to the AEK-971, and you should have a carbine already unlocked. Just use it with any class to earn points to unlock the others.
They're fixing it in upcoming patches, worry not bro.

For some reason i thought they said there was a big patch today, but i guess its either today or next month for the stability.

On the other hand, based DICE for the free shit.

Now my PS4 account has all unlocks as well lol, was only missing shotguns and DMRs.
Wishful thinking

Milennia

They're fixing it in upcoming patches, worry not bro.

Wishful thinking

Probably is tbh.

I don't experience the banding as much as most people, but damn, do i fucking hate it when it happens.. I also want them to fix the single player shit so people will stop asking about it lol.

turnbuckle

Well yeah, that's the problem. Less people will buy the DLC (although I think many people will still pay to get it months earlier) and publishers don't want to miss out on a few quick bucks, even if it means having a better experience for the players in the long run.

The problem for me would be that it would reduce the incentive of getting the DLC not just because you know it's going to be free in a few months, but also because there'll be even less people picking it up early and fewer matches available on the DLC maps until they become free.

Already hard to impossible finding games of hard core air superiority on the PS4, and when I was playing last night there were only 2 conquest servers for China Rising maps - one of them only having about a dozen players.

If there was an understanding that all these maps would be free in a few months there'd be even fewer chances to play on those maps.

If it's a revenue stream that's needed and it's the only way we'd get more maps than the default there needs to be a better solution. One suggestion would be to allow players who don't buy the map packs the ability to play those maps for a limited time (say, 2 hours) free every week. Also, give the DLC maps a 50% XP boost for something like 10 hours every week; making that same boost available an hour every week for people who got it for free.

Another idea - allow a friend to have their friends be able to join their China Rising matches any time. Limit it to a single friend per paid account, and boot the non-paying player from the server if the paying player leaves, and limit the amount of time that friend can play per week to maybe 5 hours.

Or best idea - make the new maps and modes and other content good enough to convince more people to pick it up.

Other best idea - Lower the MSRP of Premium to $25-30 (from $50). Make it a good enough deal to convince people who may be on the fence. Keep the individual map packs the same price; never put them up for discount. Ever. If you make one a good value and make the other a bad value, more people will buy in from the get-go. I'd imagine there are a lot of people who would buy premium that would otherwise not buy more than a single map pack before they quit playing, so hooking them in early will get EA their money and get the player base more options for utilizing the paid content.

But it's EA, and any of the ideas I or any of us could have to make this better would get twisted into their own version and be anti-consumer or otherwise frustrating. Wouldn't be hard to see them saying "well, we already got their $30, and it was only $30, so we'll put the premium content on lower priority."

Sigh... two games of domination were enough of BF4 for me today. The lag was just unbearable once again. I went 16-15 and 21-22... nothing but insta deaths.

God I hope the next patch improves the netcode and the lag but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Formosa

I see... But I can't pick any weapon(s) from the carbine tab, they are all greyed out...

Also, is battlelog on PS4 broken or down? It's been more than a week that I can't connect to battlelog when using ps4.

Bombless

I see... But I can't pick any weapon(s) from the carbine tab, they are all greyed out...

Also, is battlelog on PS4 broken or down? It's been more than a week that I can't connect to battlelog when using ps4.

You need to score a couple tens of thousands of points as engineer to unlock the carbines. Same for shotguns as support and DMRs as recon.

The PS4 Battlelog is a known issue I believe.

Tell you what, DICE. You keep all the bronze and silver battlepacks, the weapon shortcuts, and give me Second Assault and we'll call it even. The time in Timed Exclusive is getting ridiculous.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
thzmgws.gif

So you're telling me i've been through hell and back grinding for unlocks that are going to be given to me for free because you still haven't fully fixed your game!??!?

Ah well. Cool that they're doing something

Milennia

Just saw the global DICE community event for gold battlepacks thing Fersis posted.

Wonder what they will be and how many packs we can get out of it,

Dysun

Tell you what, DICE. You keep all the bronze and silver battlepacks, the weapon shortcuts, and give me Second Assault and we'll call it even. The time in Timed Exclusive is getting ridiculous.

Preach.

Give me the DLC I already paid for and X'boners have had since launch. *grumble*

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://blogs.battlefield.com/2014/01/bf4-player-appreciation-month/

Player Appreciation Month™
Free bronze and silver battlepacks, fuck yes!

DICE said:
Shortcut Bundles
We are preparing two shortcut bundles for Battlefield 4 that we will make available for download at no cost during the Player Appreciation Month. These voluntary shortcut bundles will unlock all grenades and handguns for Battlefield 4 (the base game) so you can make up for lost time. Or if you’re new to the game, they will help you catch up with players who have been on the Battlefield since launch. We will get back to you with more details once we have set release dates for these items.

For all of our Battlefield 4 Premium users, we’re adding two additional weapon shortcuts, unlocking DMR’s and shotguns. That way, if you like, you can quickly get your hands on a large portion of the weapons available in Battlefield 4.

Right after I get done unlocking all infantry weapons in 2XP. THANKS OBAMA DICE-AH. :|

(How about jet and helicopter unlocks, eh? EH??????????)

Every piece of DLC in Battlefield is ruined because of the terrible implementation into multiplayer. Pretty much all map packs are forgotten after a couple of months and you end up with only a couple of servers left playing exclusively the four maps of the DLC. The only notable exception is the Back to Karkand DLC because a ton of people got it when they bought the game at launch. This meant that there were a fair amount of servers that ran a mix of B2K and launch maps even toward the end of BF3s lifecycle.

If only DICE would just make the DLC free and mandatory after several months (or just when the next map pack comes out), but nope, gotta get those dollars.
no way! in BF3 only Armored Kill died off on PS3/360, and that was mainly because most people on console thought they were too big for 24 players. the other map packs all had a good playerbase.

TheSeks

no way! in BF3 only Armored Kill died off on PS3/360, and that was mainly because most people on console thought they were too big for 24 players. the other map packs all had a good playerbase.

Not really. Not really on large map rotations.

DICE didn't even include all the maps in a standard rotation. So at that point I basically just played B2K (based Oman) with Big Kock instead of the other maps. Why play the others when B2K was getting more rotations with the vanilla maps in DICE AND non-DICE servers?

Actually, I woulnd't mind DICE unlocking the campaign weapons that I can't get because their game ate my campaign progress and I'm not suffering through that shit again.

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2014/01/bf4-player-appreciation-month/

Player Appreciation Month™
Free bronze and silver battlepacks, fuck yes!

those comments...

Pazuzu-II said:
01.28.14 at 19:40

Really DICE? Let everyone earn evrything how it should be! Most players have unlock almost everything in BF4. Its ok but I just wish we could read something about new maps and DLC so please give us some details not some unlocks in the game,players who just starting playing BF4 should earn and unlock with hard work by them self as most of us.

the salt levels!!!!! "oh no, i had to GRIND to get my shorty"

TheSeks

those comments...

the salt levels!!!!! "oh no, i had to GRIND to get my shorty"

I agree with him though: I put in work with the amount of bullshit they've done (weapon XP system, disconnects, 2XP sporadically) for all the guns that aren't assignment unlocks. Why shouldn't other people?

At the very least let me CHOOSE what shortcuts (if any) I want to get. I'd rather have vehicle shortcuts for the air vehicles since those I'll never unlock normally at a decent rate since I've already unlocked the non-assignment weapons already. But they don't give you that option. It's guns they say you should unlock. :|

So attack helis are unflyable. Not only because they are basically flying cows but because the instant the action gets too hot the game locks up on me. It happened twice in the span of 30 minutes yesterday while I was playing on Dawnbreaker right as I was laying the SMACKDOWN on this butthole sniper nest camping a skyscraper. I guess this is what I get for playing this on my dinosaur 360.

I agree with him though: I put in work with the amount of bullshit they've done (weapon XP system, disconnects, 2XP sporadically) for all the guns that aren't assignment unlocks. Why shouldn't other people?

At the very least let me CHOOSE what shortcuts (if any) I want to get. I'd rather have vehicle shortcuts for the air vehicles since those I'll never unlock normally at a decent rate since I've already unlocked the non-assignment weapons already. But they don't give you that option. It's guns they say you should unlock. :|

that reminds me, i still need to knock out the last few attack jet unlocks so i can be done with vehicle unlocks.

because grinding is stupid and not everyone has the time or patience to do so. Give me shortcut packs or better yet, no unlocks at all.

fixing the game takes more time than giving out freebies. they have to calm the masses while they work.

because grinding is stupid and not everyone has the time or patience to do so. Give me shortcut packs or better yet, no unlocks at all.

it took what, 20 hours to unlock everything in BC1 and people still played it for way more than 20 hours!

Fersis

cfe1e187cd5703d9d1513ae24937b4839e3a7f1c97972667f576b79a1b2874a6.jpg

Thanks for makin' me smile TheSeks

TheSeks

it took what, 20 hours to unlock everything in BC1 and people still played it for way more than 20 hours!

Thanks for makin' me smile TheSeks

And with 2XP x 3 you can get all the guns. You can get 3 of the pistols within 2-5 games. That makes the 11 pistols (more like 10) done in a 2XP weekend. And given there's still 10 2XP's to happen: No reason for the shortcuts to be the weapon XP when you can go into Domination or Deathmatch and grind those within a weekend max.

The only one that took me forever without 2XP boosts stacked to 4XP was the Snipers that took me the full week of 2XP week. And that's because my sniping takes a while. If you're an aggressive sniper you can get those pretty quick as well.

Give me the damn vehicle unlocks and assignment unlocks, meanwhile. Horseshit that you can't choose to shortcut what you want if you already have the shit they're shortcutting.

Yay I can finally finish up my pistols. I agree and disagree with you Seks on that matter. Yes, it's bullshit that some of us put in a lot of time to unlock stuff and have people get the easy way out. But, I want to finally finish my pistols.

It should have been fully unlocked for everybody from the get go.

Unlocks and grinding for weapon sets a dangerous president. What is to stop EA from introducing pay to win in future battlefield? It's already getting close to that with Premium getting bonus battlepack and EXP. Now they get shortcut packs.

BF5 pay up for the best weapons!

DarkFlow

Banned
Unlocks and grinding for weapon sets a dangerous president. What is to stop EA from introducing pay to win in future battlefield? It's already getting close to that with Premium getting bonus battlepack and EXP. Now they get shortcut packs.

They've had these unlocks in BF3. It's nothing new, just we got some for free this go around.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is online Battlelog the only way to join China Rising maps on PS4. I still haven't played any of them and the in game server browser doesn't work.

I know this is probably a little callous for people who are more attached to BF than I am, but I have a simple solution: if BF5 introduces pay to win, I'll just stop playing Battlefield while voicing my displeasure. This is essentially my stance with all the microtransactions game publishers are slowly slipping into games whether I like it or not: as soon as I have to care about that stuff, I'm out, and until then, I'll keep playing.

I definitely get the slippery slope business of "if we don't boycott/speak up/etc. now it'lll be a license for them to push the envelope further!" and I think of all the publishers, EA's the most likely to push. But I've become more pragmatic in my old age. Does the game, as designed, provide enough fun for me for the price I'm willing to pay? If the answer is yes, great. I don't worry too much about the future because no one's forcing me to buy Battlefield 5, now with ammo you have to buy with real money. If that happens, I'll just find something else to play that actually values my time and money instead of seeing me as a host to leech money from until I'm dry.

I agree with you on that. Being an ex mmo player I hate the entire concept and I do think EA will venture in that route. Take a look at BF4. The map packs have exclusive weapons, it's just that you have to work for it. EA copied that things that Call of Duty popularized for shooters (exp leveling system, perks, unlock system) and just made it all worst.
Edit: Forgot the shit I hate the most. Iron sights and sprinting. I also hate prone because in encourage camping.

If I had it my way I would delete Cod4 from existence to rid the FPS genre of it's shit, but then Titanfall will probably still pop back up and popularize the craps.

What a nightmare that game will be if it introduce more needless shit. What next for shooters? Grinding on shit A.I. as the new norm? I hope the fuck not.

Fersis

I absolutely dislike having to grind for almost every weapon and gadget.
While i understand why they do it ... man is such a drag. =/

I would like it if it was a little less aggresive like unlocking 3/5 tiers of weaponry, each one with several weapons and gadgets and then all the dog tags and camos to grind.

But oh well, kids these days.... or maybe im just old.

Ocho

Some people have less time to play. That's it. I like pay to unlock stuff (that can be obtained with normal play time). It's a win win for everyone, so I have no idea why there's a discussion.

Edit: I'm not against weapon progress, as well. Yes, it would be nice to have everything unlocked, but the system as is is fun, for me anyway.

I thought BC2 did unlocks perfectly. You unlocked a scope, you could put it on any gun you also had unlocked.

I love how we play all the maps in rotation and I would love to see China Rising mixed in there, but I don't want to be stuck playing those same 4 maps over and over and it's a huge pain to get everyone all on the same team if we switch servers. I would love to see a mix of maps and modes in an official server. Player-rented servers will solve this, but that comes with its own problems.

Actually, I woulnd't mind DICE unlocking the campaign weapons that I can't get because their game ate my campaign progress and I'm not suffering through that shit again.

That would be a great thing to offer; after losing my save for the 3rd time I swore off the campaign.

Speaking of the shorty, that thing is a bear to use until you can ADS.

Allow me to recommend The Edge crosshairs: http://theedgecrosshairs.com/. They are a removable clear vinyl sticker in the shape of a crosshair that you put on your tv screen. Yes, it's stupid, and it's a pain to keep putting back on so almost every tv show I watch has a big target in the middle of it, but it's great for accurate hipfire and improves all the other sights in the game as well. It's only $5 and I love it.

Give me the damn vehicle unlocks and assignment unlocks, meanwhile. Horseshit that you can't choose to shortcut what you want if you already have the shit they're shortcutting.

Again with the "Those unlocks are stupid. Give me the ones I haven't earned yet!"

Is online Battlelog the only way to join China Rising maps on PS4. I still haven't played any of them and the in game server browser doesn't work.

Use the Server Browser filter to only show the China Rising maps.

TheSeks

Oh, this was kind of a bitch to do because not only did you have to do it, but you had to do it all in single round. Good luck.

It's not that bad. Do Sabotage, hunt a sniper. Get the defib kill while they're oblivious. Then do the other kills.
-----

Really though, my sticking/stick in my craw point with that whole shortcut business is it isn't a complete choice for people that may have unlocked one form of the kits. Not too much "appreciation" for those that have put up with the bullshit and continued to play.

Milennia

I have to get a pistol kill, grenade launcher kill and a defibrillator kill in the same round? WTF???

Its easy, just play conquest and kill a sniper with a defib (if you play on a second assault map, you can farm the dudes camping the bomber station, thats how i got mine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom