• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
It shouldn't be spinning out at all. It's fucking ridiculous. The boost is a form of sprint for vehicles and the normal movement speed has been slowed down because of that bullshit.
An all terrain vehicle spinning out. I guess the treads is made of ice. Drive over a little hump that can't be crossed with normal speed, spins out.

Omni

I wish that they made it so you couldn't fire your weapon while in your base zone. I am so sick of assholes sitting back in their base the whole match and just taking random potshots at people hundreds of meters away.

YOU'RE NOT HELPING ANYONE. PLAY PROPERLY

That silly mortar volley vehicle is the worst

Why does no one talk on the ps4? Played 4 matches with only one person in a squad with a mic

Im almost always on PS4 partychat to override the BF4 chat.

And i for one am not interested in talking to random strangers on public games :p

Having a gaf-partychat or a partychat with friends is the way to go.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I sat down recently and finally played through the campaign and have walked away surprised. I typically dislike linear military shooters in SP, but I found this one to be surprisingly fun and a bit more interesting than usual. What is it that people disliked so much about it?

BF3 wasn't great due to its extremely narrow design, but BF4 feels much more open, more often. It's still a linear experience but the levels themselves are relatively broad and allow a decent freedom of movement. In Call of Duty, you regularly face large numbers of distant troops that must be dealt with within a narrow funnel of a level, but in BF4, you can really flank enemies, move into various buildings for cover, and generally play more actively. I rarely felt the need to sit back in one spot and take out distant enemies one by one. It was always a lot more interesting than that.

I mean, this isn't an amazing experience by any means, but it was a lot more fun than the typical military campaign. The lovely visuals and excellent audio certainly help it along.

I've seen so many reviews chalk up the campaign as another BF3 but I really don't agree with that at all. They've clearly made a lot of improvements here. Are people simply disappointed that the campaign on hand doesn't really play like Battlefield proper?

Are people simply disappointed that the campaign on hand doesn't really play like Battlefield proper?

it was allright, but not as good as BFBC1 campaign that was true Battlefield even as a singleplayer campaign ;D
870719-935085_20080513_001.jpg

broony

On operation locker conquest large, is there anything to try other than flank outside in the snow repeatedly until you break behind enemy lines other than stand around a doorway near C? It seems such a dull map.

Facism

OMG OMG OMG I UNLOCKED THE AS-VAL OMG OMG OMG OMG.

Assignments aren't up on battlelog but you can see them ingame after a round tallies.

I sat down recently and finally played through the campaign and have walked away surprised. I typically dislike linear military shooters in SP, but I found this one to be surprisingly fun and a bit more interesting than usual. What is it that people disliked so much about it?

BF3 wasn't great due to its extremely narrow design, but BF4 feels much more open, more often. It's still a linear experience but the levels themselves are relatively broad and allow a decent freedom of movement. In Call of Duty, you regularly face large numbers of distant troops that must be dealt with within a narrow funnel of a level, but in BF4, you can really flank enemies, move into various buildings for cover, and generally play more actively. I rarely felt the need to sit back in one spot and take out distant enemies one by one. It was always a lot more interesting than that.

I mean, this isn't an amazing experience by any means, but it was a lot more fun than the typical military campaign. The lovely visuals and excellent audio certainly help it along.

I've seen so many reviews chalk up the campaign as another BF3 but I really don't agree with that at all. They've clearly made a lot of improvements here. Are people simply disappointed that the campaign on hand doesn't really play like Battlefield proper?

i strongly disliked it because the events that occur are just way over the top it becomes almost a caricature.
You trigger a cutscene where you are trapped behind a car then all of a sudden a ship crashes against the bridge. Or you finally arrive in that tram only to be shot down by a freaking helicopter and of course survive the free fall.
It's like "Oh you think what happened was bad? Well, watch this!"

I dislike that dice wasted time even making a campaign mode. Spend that time and money on multiplayer. Fuck single player battlefield.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DarkLord7854Battlelog Developer
The HUD icons (as seen here: http://i.imgur.com/R731QMk.png) are indicators of if anything is going wrong with your client such as packet loss, FPS drops, etc.
They're meant so when you guys post videos/screenshots, we can tell at a glance what a probable cause of the issue is related to.

As i guessed, the weird looking icon is related to the game connection. (debug stuff)

On operation locker conquest large, is there anything to try other than flank outside in the snow repeatedly until you break behind enemy lines other than stand around a doorway near C? It seems such a dull map.

Not really, generally, I try to get through to the enemy side via the bottom of C.

I don't mind the map because at one point I can usually break into their half, place a spawn beacon and torment them for a while.

Nope. And you can only flank outside on one side, and there is a hill outside C which can look in both directions at the other entrances, so there's always snipers there. The bloom is so intense I can barely see anything. There's also some sort of glitch where people can get to the second circular level over the C flag. It's not a good map for anything but racking up kills by standing in doorways shooting a LMG, or tossing/shooting grenades.

zma1013

PC update did wonders for the performance. I'm getting much better framerates and no stutter. I was able to actually increase some video settings and still retain my 60 fps cap.

Intel i7 2600k
Nvidia 560 1GB
8GB ram

Does anyone know if the gun changes were in this update as well?

OMG OMG OMG I UNLOCKED THE AS-VAL OMG OMG OMG OMG.

Assignments aren't up on battlelog but you can see them ingame after a round tallies.

wat

Which platform? What are the requirements for these?

EDIT: Grenade tweaks coming

1) Increased the number of M84 FLASHBANG and HAND FLARES the player can carry from 2 to 3. A player may now have 3 active HAND FLARES, up from 1 before. The HAND FLARE remains mostly a gadget of comic relief, though its ability to blind IRNV sights should not be forgotten. The increase in the number the player can carry should allow for a larger tactical use of both the HAND FLARE and the M84 FLASHBANG.

2) Increased the effect of M84 FLASHBANG grenades on friendly and enemy players. When Friendly Fire is OFF, friendlies receive approximately half the effect duration. Previous duration was 4 seconds, now 5 seconds for enemy players. Additionally increased the range at which a player feels the full effect of the flash, and increased the effect on players not looking directly at the flash bang. This should sufficiently improve the reliability of the M84 FLASHBANG, and make it a viable choice in the grenade category.

3) Increased the maximum damage for the RGO from 67 to 80, however reduced the range of explosion. The RGO was essentially an instant kill in Hardcore, it now has a reduced 1 hit kill range, however accurate throws will yield higher damage values in Core. This clarifies the role of the RGO as an accurate impact hand grenade, while still not allowing 1 hit kills in Core.

4) Reduced the visual and audio effect for the detonation of the V40 Mini to highlight its smaller blast when compared to other grenades. Decreased the maximum damage from 80 to 60, and decreased the range at which maximum damage is applied. The player continues to carry 3 V40 grenades, and is still able to use 2 of them to get a kill in Core. Previously the V40 was entirely superior to the M67 in Hardcore, this change aims to balance them in Hardcore, while also keeping their effectiveness intact in Core.

Overall, really happy with these tweaks--each grenade sounds like it is more unique and useful.

Omni

Wait. Did this patch buff the boats?

Had a game on Parcel and absolutely tore through maybe 5 little birds with engineers with the burst cannon. Crazy

daevv

I haven't played much Recon till the last premium double XP on PS4. I skipped sniper guns for the most part in BF3 but loved it and the M24 or M95 (great firing sound!) in BC2. Decided to change it up after going for the Jet Ribbons for the better part of a week and my default Engineer was felling stale. Nothing new I'm sure but kits other than Recon get really salty when people snipe them and I'm not a very good sniper. I have a few good 20 kill games but for the most part I get 10+ kills with 3-4 spotting ribbons.

One game I was dueling with another sniper most of the match playing cat and mouse while exchanging long head shots. After the match I get a message saying that was awesome and that I had some great shots. Fast forward to a few matches later and after killing a land mine spammer like 4 times in a row I get a message saying I'm a camping fuck who takes black cocks up the ass. After getting knifed and actually teabagged (haven't been teabagged since halo 3) a few times by assault guys I went sneaky and placed a claymore on one side of me so I'm between a wall and the explosive. Sure enough after killing the teabagger with the claymore as he no doubt was gonna knife me again I get another hate message. On one hand it takes them off their game as they are hunting me instead of killing teammates or taking objectives but on the other its crazy freak out time. lol

SeanR1221

Is Second Assault coming to PS4 in February for all users or just premium? (Or do we not know). If it's all users, it's gotta be fairly soon for premium since it's such a short month.

Erban1

Played a few rounds with the RFB over the weekend and again last night...I can definitely tell the difference post patch. Follow up shots were horribly inaccurate before but feels much easier to control now.

Any recommendations for a good DMR?

Played a few rounds with the RFB over the weekend and again last night...I can definitely tell the difference post patch. Follow up shots were horribly inaccurate before but feels much easier to control now.

Any recommendations for a good DMR?

SKS is better than Mk 11 is better than RFB. Once you get to the SKS, from what I've been told, you could just stick with that until you unlock the top tier SCAR H SV and ACE 23 SV.

Milennia

Ok, i got the shitting kill assist ribbons out of the way for the 2000, i hope they carry over, i hate playing like shit on purpose.

Almost have the VSS assignment done.

Milennia

VSS is the only one we can unlock until the DLC drops.

QEoxd0E.png

Im completing all the prerequisite ribbon requirements to get them out of the way for most of the assignments now.

I just hope they carry over when the DLC unlocks.

Really don't want to get kill assist ribbons again.

damn, is there a thread or a community I can get into to play with guys regularly?

the one man army struggle is starting to break me down a little bit

Dysun

You guys weren't kidding about the campaign. This is amateur hour at best, holy shit. I never played part 3's and waited til now to check this one out.

Wait. Did this patch buff the boats?

Had a game on Parcel and absolutely tore through maybe 5 little birds with engineers with the burst cannon. Crazy

They purposed increasing the projectile velocity of the burst rounds, though if a little bird was near, the burst fire already was super effective. The increased speed would make it more effective at a longer range.

Why does no one talk on the ps4? Played 4 matches with only one person in a squad with a mic

no one talks on the PC, either.

All dem mumblers.

ymmv, etc., but this is my take on the matter:

1) Part of why I play BF in the first place is because of the whole visceral/immersive aspects of it, particularly the audio and atmosphere. I like game volume up to a point where gunshots and explosions are legitimately loud. Because I do this, I either can't hear people on mics anyway, or they're way too fucking loud and I have to turn the game down which detracts from the overall experience for me. (To say nothing of those instances where one person is loud as fuck and another is too quiet, etc., fucking with matters even more).

2) Hate to be this guy, but even when people are using mics, a lot people are just morons and uncomfortable to listen to anyway, especially if they're talking about anything other than tactics. Moreover, tactically, what really is anyone ever saying beyond the moderately helpful "three guys coming from over there .... nevermind, got 'em," "LAV over there," "headed to B" and whatnot? I've played mic'd up with plenty of people plenty of times, I really don't feel like I'm missing much when I'm not comm'd up.

Disclaimer: I always use my mic, just saying, if I wasn't playing with friends I wouldn't.

You guys weren't kidding about the campaign. This is amateur hour at best, holy shit. I never played part 3's and waited til now to check this one out.

I think it's fun. I mean it ain't BioShock or whatever, wouldn't recommend it as a stand-alone product per se, but as a tech-demo & shooting gallery with the Frostbite engine it's cool enough. It's pretty, it's loud, has plenty of intense-as-fuck scenarios, good practice, etc. Turn off the HUD, play on hard, and play it fast and aggressive like it were MP. It's a romp. Don't know what people are expecting from it, really. It does what it sets out to do.

Milennia

Fitting for the shitty weapon it is.

Still the best PDW and better than half of the carbines available.

The games i have had on my friends xbox... Using a controller that i hate... Ridiculous.
Stat wise it even adds up, a suppressed weapon that has no suppressed draw back.

Just got it on PC and played a match, same gun, same insane.
Little bit better this time however now that I'm using a setup i like.

54-2 .. Never had a bad game with this gun.

ChrisW

On ps4 is there no way to change loadouts, apply battle packs and look at challenges without being in a game? I don't like to waste 5/10 minutes seeing the new unlocks I have and applying them.

I have the app for my ipad and phone but it's a bit slow.

Milennia

On ps4 is there no way to change loadouts, apply battle packs and look at challenges without being in a game? I don't like to waste 5/10 minutes seeing the new unlocks I have and applying them.

I have the app for my ipad and phone but it's a bit slow.

You can look at challenges and open battlepacks from the main menu, however loadouts are only done either in game or in the app.

ChrisW

You can look at challenges and open battlepacks from the main menu, however loadouts are only done either in game or in the app.
Strange that it's not in the "my solider" option. Was is like this in BF3?

Also what would you say is the best/fastest way to earn unlocks and exp? I've not really looked at any challenges to do yet, they just randomly appear every now and then

Milennia

Strange that it's not in the "my solider" option. Was is like this in BF3?

Also what would you say is the best/fastest way to earn unlocks and exp? I've not really looked at any challenges to do yet, they just randomly appear every now and then

Natural play, using xp boosts from battlepacks and stacking them on double xp weekends, its how i capped and unlocked every weapon during double xp week a couple months ago.

I get more xp in conquest games, although it really varies based on play, ill usually end any given game at 8-10k without using vehicles and more with.

Unlocks would be just using a top weapon for a given class and going nuts with it until your done really.
Assignments are just a given, follow their specific rules and thats it, however i have unlocked each and every one of mine through conquest.

Hate to be that guy and whine, but I have honest questions about how jets are 'balanced.' Had a guy on Golmud last night go 34-0 last night and while that's not common, what is common is to get killed by the jet and see the guy having scores like 11-2, etc.

And unlike scout choppers, they aren't easily brought down with MAA or Stingers. Unless you're a jet savant, chances are trying to fight fire with fire won't work either.

Which leads me to more whining: I very much like what DICE has done with the automatic homebase anti-air, until I realized 2 minutes into flying in circles above my base that I had no way of spotting the jet chasing me, meaning this would continue until I finally fucked up.

Dysun

I think it's fun. I mean it ain't BioShock or whatever, wouldn't recommend it as a stand-alone product per se, but as a tech-demo & shooting gallery with the Frostbite engine it's cool enough. It's pretty, it's loud, has plenty of intense-as-fuck scenarios, good practice, etc. Turn off the HUD, play on hard, and play it fast and aggressive like it were MP. It's a romp. Don't know what people are expecting from it, really. It does what it sets out to do.

I'm playing it on hard and it fails as a shooting gallery/CoD clone. Every vehicle segment is broken, or lacks any challenge whatsoever. Shooting down the choppers on the sea level is buggy as hell. I shot them 5x with a Stinger and the chopper shrugs it off and takes no damage. Meanwhile I pick up a different RPG and it one shots it. I fall off ladders, enemies spawn under the terrain when descending from said choppers.
"Story" is laughably bad and makes CoD narratives feel compelling in comparison.

It is pretty but that's about it.

wrongway

So, played a few rounds of this, first time in a month or so.

Hit detection is still flakey, instagibs are still in play and all over the place, and I died to zero-health players regularly. Even had a few instances of getting 100-point kill assists on my zero-health killer. Can't decide if I should be confused, grumpy, or just disappointed.

Oh well, back to other things for a while. At least I get to go out on one of those super balanced games that goes down to single-digit tickets.

ymmv, etc., but this is my take on the matter:

1) Part of why I play BF in the first place is because of the whole visceral/immersive aspects of it, particularly the audio and atmosphere. I like game volume up to a point where gunshots and explosions are legitimately loud. Because I do this, I either can't hear people on mics anyway, or they're way too fucking loud and I have to turn the game down which detracts from the overall experience for me. (To say nothing of those instances where one person is loud as fuck and another is too quiet, etc., fucking with matters even more).

2) Hate to be this guy, but even when people are using mics, a lot people are just morons and uncomfortable to listen to anyway, especially if they're talking about anything other than tactics. Moreover, tactically, what really is anyone ever saying beyond the moderately helpful "three guys coming from over there .... nevermind, got 'em," "LAV over there," "headed to B" and whatnot? I've played mic'd up with plenty of people plenty of times, I really don't feel like I'm missing much when I'm not comm'd up.

Disclaimer: I always use my mic, just saying, if I wasn't playing with friends I wouldn't.

Taking out vehicles and holding a position can be either monstrously difficult or fairly easy just based off getting a couple of guys to change a class and work together...

but thats just me

So, played a few rounds of this, first time in a month or so.

Hit detection is still flakey, instagibs are still in play and all over the place, and I died to zero-health players regularly. Even had a few instances of getting 100-point kill assists on my zero-health killer. Can't decide if I should be confused, grumpy, or just disappointed.

Oh well, back to other things for a while. At least I get to go out on one of those super balanced games that goes down to single-digit tickets.

Anything over 75 should be an 'assist counts as kill' and not just an 'assist' that doesn't count as a kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom