• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJLord

just so i'm 100% on this, you have to be connected to the vpn in order for the game to work, right? if so, it might not be worth it for me, since i'll get terrible ping to any server

I think you only need it up to the point you have joined the server from battlelog.

Game doesn't like overclocks. I had to downclock my cards from stock in order to get them stable. Otherwise you get lock ups and bf4.exe has stopped working all the time. Servers are disconnecting people but that's par for the course.

Hmmm. I will have to try this when I get home then. Sucks that this is the only game I have a problem with.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yes.

Steam overlay doesn't work with the final just like the beta didn't. Someone find a way to fix this.
Oh man! I think im gonna end up spoiling me and watching map vids >__<
Thanks for the info.

No PS4 version for you ? TheSeks pls

robot

Sucks that you can't upgrade cross platform - wanted to grab this on 360 then upgrade to PS4. Womp wahhhhhh.

I think Parcel Storm may just be the greatest BF map ever. It's gorgeous, and end-round storm brings some amazing atmosphere, and the vehicle balance is perfect. No attack choppers. No tanks. No jets. Lots of transport though and the always-awesome attack boats, so it's a large map still primarily focused around infantry.

Running for your life through the trenches while an attack boat is laying down fire on you and a little bird is strafing overhead is glorious.

If we set aside the length, what's the gaf feeling on the campaign? Is there anything remotely there that I could justify paying full price on, given that I'm shocking at the multi and doubt I'll play much of it.

Man i stayed up way too late playing this game. The map design has come leaps and bounds beyond BF3. I've only played conquest so far, but I'm already enjoying the hell out of BF4.

Phinor

Sigh. They put millions into the SP campaign again and then lock the FOV at an unplayable setting. I'm dumb enough to enjoy some military shooter campaigns but lately it's been impossible to play any of them because every company locks the FOV to protect their precious QTEs, animations and what not. I don't care about clipping hands or whatever, I really just want to change the FOV into a setting that I can actually play the game with.

The game even has that FOV slider in settings. It just doesn't do anything in SP.

gossi

Sigh. They put millions into the SP campaign again and then lock the FOV at an unplayable setting. I'm dumb enough to enjoy some military shooter campaigns but lately it's been impossible to play any of them because every company locks the FOV to protect their precious QTEs, animations and what not. I don't care about clipping hands or whatever, I really just want to change the FOV into a setting that I can actually play the game with.

The game even has that FOV slider in settings. It just doesn't do anything in SP.

I've never understood why locked FOV freaks people out.

Yaska

Guess I'll join the battle on thursday, as the VPN trick doesn't work for me. Stupid staggered releases *grumble grumble*

Man i stayed up way too late playing this game. The map design has come leaps and bounds beyond BF3. I've only played conquest so far, but I'm already enjoying the hell out of BF4.

Yeah every map that I've played so far feels really unique. Feels like they learned a lot from their expansions on what works and doesn't.

Phinor

I've never understood why locked FOV freaks people out.

If they locked it at a value that doesn't cause nausea and headache to some people, it wouldn't freak anyone out. That's how games used to be 10+ years ago but X360/PS3 generation made a hard push to have unplayable FOV in most games citing many reasons such as performance issues and low FOV being better for couch gamers. But I don't play on a couch.

Yeah. The jets look cheesey and cheap. Maybe its the camera angle. And they seemed to have more weight in bf3

They're getting bombs now, though, right? That could make a huge difference in the way jets contribute to the overall battle. I'll be interested to see how things play out once more players have their class/vehicle unlocks open.

SpaceHorror

So, if I pick up the PS3 version and then upgrade to the PS4, how concerned should I be about downloading the PS4 version day one? It'd be nice to screw around with the PS3 version for a couple of weeks and then upgrade for 10 bucks, but I don't want to be unable to play BF4 on launch day because I can't download it.

Kingbrave

Wow, it finally finished downloading and it runs like a dream.

My only problem is that it doesn't seem like there are a lot of people online.

Anyone else?

PC by the way.

Phinor

Isn't the default FOV basically how people see with their eyes?

In one word, no. And that wouldn't work in a game anyway. Here's a quick gif from Bad Company 2 showing how different FOV values look in that particular game:

BadCompany2FOV.gif

There's a sweet spot somewhere in the middle but console games have very low FOV and many developers don't bother making exceptions for the PC version so they keep that low FOV for PC as well. Some games do offer FOV sliders but for example Battlefield games offer FOV slider only in the multiplayer. Call of Duty Ghosts doesn't offer FOV slider at all and that is the only single reason I'm not buying that game.

Wow, it finally finished downloading and it runs like a dream.

My only problem is that it doesn't seem like there are a lot of people online.

Anyone else?

PC by the way.

The default filters are shit, go in and change them yourself to something like only maps with 1-5 open spots on and you should get more than enough servers with people on.

njean777

So, if I pick up the PS3 version and then upgrade to the PS4, how concerned should I be about downloading the PS4 version day one? It'd be nice to screw around with the PS3 version for a couple of weeks and then upgrade for 10 bucks, but I don't want to be unable to play BF4 on launch day because I can't download it.

That is the reason I am just buying it on disc for the ps4. I don't want to risk psn being overloaded and not being able to download games.

kidko

Runs like a dream, everything is snappy, but crashes a lot. Crashed twice in one match. I don't have any overclocks right now but maybe I need to underclock my 7950 or my Haswell? Hrm

SpaceHorror

That is the reason I am just buying it on disc for the ps4. I don't want to risk psn being overloaded and not being able to download games.

Yeah, I'm probably just going to go that route as well. A little patience will probably result in the best launch day experience.

Runs like a dream, everything is snappy, but crashes a lot. Crashed twice in one match. I don't have any overclocks right now but maybe I need to underclock my 7950 or my Haswell? Hrm

That sucks. Played about 4 hours this morning on various servers, not one crash. Pretty good performance overall.

Asus 280X

Nothing really OC'd.

edit: what Catalyst are you running? I'm not using the beta drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom