• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh1ner

Skipped BF3 because of origin and I didn't really appreciate it when watching my brother play.

Buying BF4 now and leaving it to install and wish one day that EA will bring it to steam.

btkadams

If you're not seeing yourself playing the game two years down the road, then you may want to refrain from getting Premium until it's cheaper.

If you're willing to stick with BF4 for a long time, it's a no-brainer, really.

it goes down in price? by how much? would it still include all of the same stuff that it does now? maybe it would be best for me to wait.

Grief.exe

What's up with the ugly, compression cutscenes every now and then that somehow run worse than the game itself.

lol I noticed that too.

Apparently they do that for Quality Assurance reasons. If they run every cutscene in-engine you could run into a bug that doesn't allow the player to progress, or some kind of hack they used to get the cutscene working in the first place doesn't turn off after the cutscene. Example: Irish gets stuck in a door and the cutscene never ends.

i've never really played a battlefield game, but i have this preordered for ps4. i have always enjoyed shooting games but got sick of call of duty. i'm getting killzone though.

is battlefield premium a good idea? if i order it today on psn, i get $10 back with the psn promotion going on. how much are expansions outside of the premium membership? is it only worth it if i intend on playing the shit out of this game? i imagine i'll play with friends for a while, but not like 1000s of hours.

I'm a huge BF whore and even I don't buy Premium right away. It's a shitty business practice. And this may sound corny, but honestly, I'm waiting to play Titanfall before trying to register how much time I'll be sinking into BF4.

Sh1ner said:
Skipped BF3 because of origin and I didn't really appreciate it when watching my brother play.

Buying BF4 now and leaving it to install and wish one day that EA will bring it to steam.

Origin works fine.

Grief.exe

I'm a huge BF whore and even I don't buy Premium right away. It's a shitty business practice. And this may sound corny, but honestly, I'm waiting to play Titanfall before trying to register how much time I'll be sinking into BF4.

We are all waiting on Titanfall, that game actually looks compelling. BF4 looks like more of the same, now with fixes the community has been requesting since BF3 beta! ®

Sethos

Banned
There we go, game complete and a last batch of screenshots from me.

0xjXqgE.png

I'm glad you're around. I feel no urge to go in and take proper screenshots of this game. You're doing it plenty justice.

Appreciate the comment but I'd still love to see what you can do with your magical tools man <3

it goes down in price? by how much? would it still include all of the same stuff that it does now? maybe it would be best for me to wait.

Well, it will go down at some point, maybe in a year. By how much, no one knows. I think BF3's Premium was £20 for a while back in March (50% off, a year after it launched) but no one can really tell as the game is launching as we speak.

btkadams

alright, thanks for your input. i'll just wait then. it's better that i actually get my hands on the game before committing to something that costs more than the game itself (i preordered the game for $40).
Well, it will go down at some point, maybe in a year. By how much, no one knows. I think BF3's Premium was £20 for a while back in March (50% off, a year after it launched) but no one can really tell as the game is launching as we speak.

ah, ok! thanks for the response.

Kak.efes

How many maps does this launch with compared to BF3? Keeping in mind the Karkand expansion was free for first run copies of BF3 (as China Rising appears to be for BF4).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Sethos and Dennis make a video, i wanna see how it looks in motion.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
We are all waiting on Titanfall, that game actually looks compelling. BF4 looks like more of the same, now with fixes the community has been requesting since BF3 beta! ®

And that's fine with me. Don't need me no Titanfall. It has no Rush. Nobody ain't got time for that if doesn't have Rush.

is battlefield premium a good idea? if i order it today on psn, i get $10 back with the psn promotion going on. how much are expansions outside of the premium membership? is it only worth it if i intend on playing the shit out of this game? i imagine i'll play with friends for a while, but not like 1000s of hours.

Are you going to play for the next two years? If yes, then yes.

If no, then no.

Are you a cheap ass? Then wait.
Otherwise, buy.

Sethos

Banned
Playing in 5120x2880 seems to have a tiny almost unnoticeable effect on some animations ...

EDIT: Just to clarify, this is single-player.

tmruFVS.gif

ruxtpin

Banned
Aight PC guys - I downloaded BF4 last night and set everything to ultra. Used the console to show my fps, but that made me wonder... What should I be doing to figure out the best settings? I mean, I know more fps is better, but on my setup I noticed it going down to 25-30 in areas with a bunch of geometry or a lot of explosions on the screen. Should I be knocking my visual settings down in order to increase those dips? Or is it all a judgement call (I know the fps dropped, but it didn't bother me to much because I'm used to some stutter playing on the last gen consoles). When I was just walking/running around I was getting 40-60 fps. Any advice?

3770k 3.5
GTX 670 w/ 4gb
16gb of mem
1080p display

Weenerz

Banned
I just played on some island map (I forgot the name), and HOLY SHIT THERE WAS A FUCKING HURRICANE! The waves swelled up, a fucking ship ran aground in the middle of the map, rain started falling, trees were getting blown around, holy shit holy shit holy shit this game is nuts.

Tak3n

Banned
i've never really played a battlefield game, but i have this preordered for ps4. i have always enjoyed shooting games but got sick of call of duty. i'm getting killzone though.

I got caught out like that last year with Black Ops 2, I got the season pass, after month 3 I was well onto something else...

I swore then I would never do a season pass or premium again, however I did premium on this as I did the Mexican VPN trick, so got the game and premium for £43...

You have to ask yourself are you the type of person who plays game continually for years...

Only WOW ever got me for that long, I fully expect I will play up to and including China Rising, but after that I highly doubt it, but premium does give you added benefits, like queue jumping et al

Lets be honest Titanfall will be the game that sucks in large swathes of players from BF4 and COD (presuming they don't mess it up)

and from all the hate on MS, they must be wishing March to come around very quickly

xAlias

Playing in 5120x2880 seems to have a tiny almost unnoticeable effect on some animations ...

EDIT: Just to clarify, this is single-player.

tmruFVS.gif

Yeah at least that didn't make you die.

I had a glitch where I was following Omar (Irish) up the rungs on the ship and somehow when my face touched his legs, i got blown away to my death.

Saying i was surprised would be an understatement and for a moment i toyed with the idea that Omar kicked me off the ship or something.

koryuken

Well you are seeing the drops.

If the game is extremely variable from 50-60, then you will see chop.

If ARMA is running a steady 50, then you won't see choppiness.

I've noticed that BF4 is extremely variable, by 10-15 FPS depending on what is going on moment to moment.

BTW, just a heads up. I researched this, and what you are describing would result in screen tearing, not chop. Screen tearing happens when the refresh rate on the monitor is not in sync with the video card.

For some reason, the game was choppy throughout the first level, but it completely went away after that. Even the most intense firefights on shanghai were butter smooth. I am not sure what is going on with that first level.

Grief.exe

BTW, just a heads up. I researched this, and what you are describing would result in screen tearing, not chop. Screen tearing happens when the refresh rate on the monitor is not in sync with the video card.

For some reason, the game was choppy throughout the first level, but it completely went away after that. Even the most intense firefights on shanghai were butter smooth. I am not sure what is going on with that first level.

You are not comprehending what I am trying to say.

When you experience an extremely variable frame rate that is indicative of the first level of BF4, and Frost Bite games in general.
You will get that choppiness.

The reason you are seeing it, is because you are below your monitor's refresh rate. That means you visually see when you are dropping frames. It is significantly more noticeable in games with extremely variable framerate, or when you drop more than 10 frames at a time. Both line up with what I have experienced so far with BF4.

My suggestion was to either lower your settings so you get >60 fps. I'm sitting at 75-85 fps right now and I never notice drops because I am above the refresh rate.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
At work now. I hope that the switch to WIndows 8 when I get home fixes my crashing problem because the game seems really good :(

When did Battlefield become a Call of Duty clone?

I remember playing Battlefield 1942, skipped vietnam, 1943, I played Battlefield 2. All of those seemed to be Battlefield games.

I was looking at the comparison footage, being curious about Next Gen, and I noticed the heavily scripted story and many Call of Duty like elements.

When did this series stop being a sandbox shooter?

Dennis

Banned
When did Battlefield become a Call of Duty clone?

I remember playing Battlefield 1942, skipped vietnam, 1943, I played Battlefield 2. All of those seemed to be Battlefield games.

I was looking at the comparison footage, being curious about Next Gen, and I noticed the heavily scripted story and many Call of Duty like elements.

When did this series stop being a sandbox shooter?

When COD made ten trillion dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom