• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

The lowlight for me, so far, was the empty "EMOTIONAL MOMENT!" when the black guy was trying to act all selfless on the boat
after the EMP goes off
and yelling at the Chinese citizens to follow him... to... somewhere... or something.

What the fuck was going on with that scene?

RS4-

First Carbine you unlock is GDLK. Slapping that on recon = death incarnate.

Now if the motion mines "pulsed" like BC2 I'd be in business. Never know if they're activated or not outside of "SPOT ASSIST!"

Lol I don't even know if they spot anyone anymore.

Facism

hitreg still feels proper janky. loads of hit markers, guy doesn't die, he takes what feels like 2 shots, i die.

Coming off BF3 it feels like a massive step back.

antitrop

The voice acting is proper awful. A good example is the Marine you first run into on the Naval vessel, the one that acts all pissed off for letting the "chinese enemy" (refugees) onto the ship.

For a AAA game, it's some of the worst VO I've heard in a long, long time.

kidko

So I'm getting a pretty big update from Origin right now. Is there a place in this thing where you can find update notes? Anyone hear anything about this update?

Exploring the MP maps in free cam, had to stop and take some shots at Flood Zone...
ih6j9yTs31nmc.jpg

ibiCikz97NI9GF.jpg

iLrenwsBkDEgZ.jpg

iEvdsDXHtXwdS.jpg

i51Vjxfcw7TRG.jpg

iDuPoWFtOoEnU.jpg

izR5GSJiaRQe8.jpg

antitrop

rrriiiight

I didn't even get past the first few missions in that game. Didn't get very far in the one before that either. At least BF4 brings enough pretty to entice me to actually finish it.
Yes, I would never recommend anyone to suffer through Medal of Honor: Warfighter, it doesn't even have pretty graphics or set pieces to get you through it.

Just run of the mill shooting against pop-up targets with no AI and a standard incomprehensible plot. Warfighter was the epitome of AAA garbage. Battlefield 4 stands a league above, despite still being "bad".

Medal of Honor 2010 is okay, but certainly not great.

will there be dice servers with easy matchmaking? like halo 2 or bad company 2 on consoles.

where you don't choose any parameters, just mode and map.

hope that is in there in addition to full customize on ps4 when i get that.

server browser has a config to only show official servers now, not just ranked/unranked

Macattk15

Man.

Really annoying.

Getting A LOT of crashes on the PC Version.

Always a looping sound crash too. Almost always on Shanghai also.

Pollux

The lowlight for me, so far, was the empty "EMOTIONAL MOMENT!" when the black guy was trying to act all selfless on the boat
after the EMP goes off
and yelling at the Chinese citizens to follow him... to... somewhere... or something.

What the fuck was going on with that scene?
That scene annoyed the hell outta me

*sheesh* at first we get good reviews of the SP campaign and now they have reverted to bad reviews?

Can you guys make up your minds? Also, what do you expect from the SP campaign? An emotional rollercoaster like some RPGs out there?

antitrop

*sheesh* at first we get good reviews of the SP campaign and now they have reverted to bad reviews?

Can you guys make up your minds? Also, what do you expect from the SP campaign? An emotional rollercoaster like some RPGs out there?
Call of Duty 4 is still my personal measuring stick for this style of game. That campaign was absolutely fantastic for its time.

If you go back to it now the cracks show, but for 2007 that shit was mind-blowing and innovative.

Just finished the campaign. Pretty much what I expected, so I'm happy with it.

*End Game Spoiler*
Definitely thought that if I didn't choose between the two that I would plant the C4 myself, but I was wrong lol

oh... damn. I got in on 360 at wal-mart assuming some EA specific upgrade policy and it's a retailer thing? Anyone know if i can do anything about it? I've already broken the package.

Just finished the campaign. Pretty much what I expected, so I'm happy with it.

*End Game Spoiler*
Definitely thought that if I didn't choose between the two that I would plant the C4 myself, but I was wrong lol

Did the same thing as you and then left it at that.
Is there more that I should go back and make the other choices for?

Holy shit the BF4's singleplayer campaign is bad. Protip: When they inevitably sell the singleplayer weapons unlock for $2.99, take the offer.

At it's very best it's a very mediocre FPSer, and when it's not it's a bug laden mess. I had to restart two chapters due to crashing glitches and checkpointing in glitched geometry, TWO CHAPTERS.

4 hours or $3 ... yeaaaa, gonna spend that $3 on Wendy's

Man.

Always a looping sound crash too. Almost always on Shanghai also.

Just had that happen for my first crash in playing today.

Finished up the campaign and it was slightly better than BF3 but still pretty awful. Looks beautiful but DICE really can't put together any context in their campaigns. Say what you will of Call of Duty but at least they can usually put together some marginally coherent story for their games, even if its usually off the walls nutty.

Like in BF4, [overall story spoilers]
they spend all this time talking up Cheng as this villain/antagonist. Do we even see this guy? The Modern Warfare games' campaigns worked at least in part because you had a face to your enemy, whether that was Zhakaev or Markov. And you had some inkling of what was going on in the big picture. In BF3 and maybe a little better in BF4, you're just sort of shuttled from mission to mission with very little overall context given to what you're doing or why you should care.

That sort of thing is exemplified in the ending where
you make your choice and everything just sort of ends. No clue what any of that meant in the big picture or what was really going on. The game just sort of ends.

robot

First Battlefield game for me, really impressed. Bought the PS3 version with the intention of upgrading in 3 weeks to PS4. A lot of holy shit moments for me so far, love the multiplayer scale compared to what I'm used to playing (Call of Duty) - I can't even imagine how crazy things get when I'm able to play 64 players.

Only issue I'm having is it doesn't do a good job explaining upgrades and character customization. Like I see I've unlocked things but no idea how to configure anything. Gonna do a search to see if I can find answers, but just wondering if this is a problem with anyone else. Going through "My Soldier" in the main menu just shows progress bars on equipment, but it looks like I've filled some yet can't do anything.

Edit: downloaded the Battlelog app and now everything makes sense!

v1lla21

If there was one thing that ticked me off in BF3 for PS3 it was people wouldn't spot. I then built a rig and played BF3 on it and damn was it more enjoyable. Anyways, I'm holding off on BF4 until this weekend and then picking up the PS4 version when it comes out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Operation Locker is the new Operation Metro

Really? Outside of the underground hallways and like one infamous area, it isn't that bad just yet.

But I haven't played on it enough. Hopping around so many maps that I keep rotating between Parcel and like Shanghai without doing the others majorly. :/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got this installed and running. Played through the first Baku mission.

I have it maxed out at 1920x1200 with 2x MSAA and the game runs and looks brilliant, but I can't help but feel that some of the effects were scaled down since the initial reveal. I distinctly remember the puddles reacting more realistically and there being more particle effects like sparks and shit. I'll have to go back and watch that video again to compare.

Anyway, the campaign seems pretty standard fare. Cringed and had to take a break when the guys stopped before the elevator in China and demanded that I be the one to press the button.

Going to give multiplayer a go now.

Played my first ever Battlefield matches tonight (360) and the lasting impression is that you get killed a bunch without knowing who or what shot you. Lol. That and I have no business piloting a helicopter - do they list controls anywhere??

Great character models but overall graphics are a disappointment. 2560x1600 on max. There are some fucked up textures in this game. In multiplayer, I'm not sure I notice a huge difference between this and BF3.

Thankfully, the MP seems to be a lot of fun which is the reason I've always bought the BF games anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom