• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game is such a mess just now. Crashes, servers kicking people, questionable hit detection, game keeps losing unlocks so you need to rejoin the server, and the sound bugs on multiple maps.

Question for ya, my sound will cut out from time to time, mainly in jeeps. Then all of a sudden it comes back. I just turned War Tapes on so I thought it was some weird effect they were going for but now it just seems like a bug. Is this the sound bug you are referring to?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Question for ya, my sound will cut out from time to time, mainly in jeeps. Then all of a sudden it comes back. I just turned War Tapes on so I thought it was some weird effect they were going for but now it just seems like a bug. Is this the sound bug you are referring to?

That's the bug, it happens on the Dam map for sure.

aravuus

Decided to unlock the game early via VPN, and I'm positively surprised. Played a couple of minutes and it runs great on high, even with GTX 560.

Loving the multiplayer (ps3) so far, but I'm stunned that in 2013 Dice can't have a squad party system in place at launch. Seems pretty basic.

Madchad

Question.

I am ordering BF4 for PS3 to play with my mates from day one however i have a PS4 on pre order and plan to upgrade my version. Will i be able to still play on the same servers as my mate who are on PS3 ?

Same things happens to me and my friend last night (though didn't notice it any other day besides yesterday hmm). It doesn't cut all sounds though, the gun will still sound shots for some reason.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Reposting from the performance thread.

Did some testing. Gonna echo others: the "Effects Quality" setting has the most significant hit on performance than any other, the framerate difference between High and Ultra fucking huge. The effect seems to handle, surprise surprise, "effects" like particle effects (smoke/fire/sparks/etc), though I don't think include stuff like dof/bokeh/blur.

Without a doubt the best place to test this is the second campaign level, early on when you're looking out over the Shanghai hotel courtyard before infiltration. As most people will have experienced, framerate tanks in this area. However, with fraps running I noticed it wasn't constant; it fluctuates. The reason? The fucking water jets. When they're spraying, down goes the framerate. When they're not, the framerate soars right back up.

Here's an example of the difference in that area while the water is spraying. All other settings on "Ultra", post-AA off, MSAAx4, 1920x1080:

"Effects Quality" set to "Ultra": ~27fps
"Effects Quality" set to "High": ~52fps

That's a cost of ~25fps for one setting during intense particles.

What I'd like to know is what hardware the "Effects Quality" setting is dependant on: GPU or CPU. Transparencies and what not might fall back on the CPU. I'd also like to know what's going on with the technology between "High" and "Ultra". Density maybe, or how the particle responds to lighting and shadows. It's hard to spot a visual difference to be perfectly honest, but it would be interesting to learn what changes are made to particle rendering between those two settings.

In hindsight this explains a way a lot of my framerate dips from the beta, specifically when the tower collapsed and was spitting out particles, and when I died while in a tank and the kill cam highlighted my opponent through my smoking/burning remains. I was running everything on ultra at the time.

So yeah. If you're finding framerate dips during really intense stuff that involves particle effects (explosions, fire, smoke, dust kicked up by helicopters, etc), drop it down from Ultra to High and enjoy the tremendous framerate increase.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
All 3, but you will have to replay the last mission 3 times.

I would not bother with it, it only seems to affect health regen as far as I can tell.
Play on normal or easy even :)

Yes. But you can replay the specific mission that dictates what weapon you unlock.

Thanks, any word on what's the best weapon out of those 3?

Facism

glad there's an abundance of 32player CQ large servers. These maps can't handle 64players without being a spammy bitchfest.

Also, yay type 88. Actually works. the starting lmg feels like weak, buggy pos to use.

glad there's an abundance of 32player CQ large servers. These maps can't handle 64players without being a spammy bitchfest.

Also, yay type 88. Actually works. the starting lmg feels like weak, buggy pos to use.

I just unlocked the Type 88 too. What are some recommended attachments for LMGs?

Shadybiz

PS4 better have the party system in place >_<

I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

Is the PC version lacking a party system as well? If that's the case, I don't think the chances of the One or the PS4 having one are good at all.

It's baffling to me. The party system in BC2 worked almost flawlessly, then the one in BF3 was awful, and now we don't even have one.

IN A SQUAD BASED GAME!

Christ, Dice.

moolamb

So I don't know if anyone else here has run into this issue, but using a gamepad (a 360 controller in my case) for flying jets on PC is broken for me. It works perfectly fine for helicopters, but the triggers which I use for throttle up&down are permanently bound to fire weapon on the right, and the left to freelook, the left bumper is permanently bound to flares. I do not have this problem for helicopters (except for LT being hardbound to freelook, but I can work around that as decrease throttle still works at the same time), and I have tried clearing all controller binds for not only jets, but all other control types (common, on foot, vehicle, etc).

Very annoying as I am used to flying with my 360 controller in BF3, and have no real interest to learn how to fly well with KB+M, so until this is fixed jets are effectively unuseable for me (I only use the 360 controller for flying, everything else I do with KB+M).

Lots of bugs with control set ups at the moment. Regarding the freelook hardbind, check the solution here:
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefiel...e-1-will-not-unbind-from-Freelook/m-p/1725637

Open PROFSAVE_profile with wordpad/notepad, it’s located in My Documents > Battlefield 4 > settings. Search (ctrl + F) ConceptZoom.3.button (there are three of these in total, vehicle, heli, and jet. You should change them all) Change the value to 9999, for me it was set at 14. Save it and when you lauch BF4 Sync using LOCAL data.

Also, if anyone's having trouble with gadget 1 key not working, you have to bind 'toggle underslung weapon' to the same key, I think.

Jinjo

Nothing like tossing a grenade into an elevator with 3 enemies right before it closes. You could see them panic and trying to get out lol.

Spookie

Totally unplayable on the PC today. I've had SIX crashes in the space of three hours and lost my progress three times.

DICE need to get their act together, I'm not sure how they think releasing a game in this shape is acceptable.

Dave_6

Using a gamepad on PC is like bringing a knife to a gun fight, right? I tried playing with a controller in the beta and it was no bueno.

I'm believing this right now. I'm a 'comfy couch' gamer and have had my PC hooked up to my plasma since I built it earlier this year. This game though is going to make me move it to my other room with a desk and learn to be a KBM gamer. I'm getting shot before I can even draw up the sights on someone. Plus for whatever reason, having to constantly keep the left stick 'clicked' to run is making my hand cramp up like hell.

I'll definitely have to upgrade to a 24" monitor and possibly a better mouse before I do this though.

The beta scared me, but damn the game runs so much better and buttery smooth for me with the release version. Such a gorgeous game, and getting rock solid fps. Beta ran like hot garbage.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This is the purest waste of money.

6a00d8341bfa1853ef010535d2dc55970b-800wi.jpg

Damn im such a noob in this game all i do is die and rage quit. meh

Put a mic on and start shouting at your squadmates to get up off their arse and do something meaningful for the team, instead of going lonewolf rambo shootbang.

Also, flank and make use of cover. Know your weapon's range and handle, and when you need to tuck your tail between your legs and make a run for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom