• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethos

Banned
Man the M249 is a barrel of fun, appreciate the suggestion Feef.

There's nothing more satisfying getting behind a couple of enemies and hosing them.

S05lG0Y.gif

antitrop

I never got Premium for BF3, but I'm planning to play BF4 a lot more. Is the $50 worth it?

Do they actually give you any nice benefits other than just essentially pre-ordering all the DLC? The description on the Origin page seems pretty vague.

I never got Premium for BF3, but I'm planning to play BF4 a lot more. Is the $50 worth it?

If you know you will be picking up all of the expansions, then yes, very much worth it. You get a small discount against the price of buying them all individually, a couple weeks of early expansion pack access, as well as double xp weekends, extra batllepacks, and camos. BF3 premium was probably the best season pass thing anyone has offered.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All the Levolution events in one vid - yeah most are a bit lame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaUnif8Aon0

Yeah, not many seem all that great. I can forgive that though, as I imagine the concept of levolution was a technical nightmare to get working in 64 player servers and functional on Xbox 360/PayStation 3 tier hardware.

For me, the key to making great levolution is an event that significantly impacts the play of a map, and requires minimal input from players. If it's too player driven it happens too frequently/early and comes across a bit predictable. If it doesn't make much of a dint in the map it's forgettable. Shanghai is a great example of nailing the latter but fucking up the former. That can be patched to make it harder though.

Very interested to see what DICE do with levolution in Battlefront 3 and Battlefield 5, when I assume they'll have more experience with the concept and won't have to settle for hardware any less than next gen.

Do they actually give you any nice benefits other than just essentially pre-ordering all the DLC? The description on the Origin page seems pretty vague.

As Teasing_Pink said, if you plan to get the expansion packs, especially as soon as they come out, it's worth it by default. You get them all, and at $10 a pop.

Extra stuff is mostly fluff. Occasional XP events, and premium exclusive paints/camos/etc.

premiumjoqad.jpg

IMO, Premium was worth it for the DLC content alone. Can't remember the figures--20 maps, 10 weapons, a handful of new game modes, maybe 10 vehicles? That's worth $50 to me.

As far as the other stuff, they had lots of double XP events and some community challenges. Weaker stuff was early access to premium videos (usually DLC previews) which always went to Youtube anyways, and ridiculous challenges to get weapon camouflage. I expect BF4 Premium to offer more "little stuff", going from their road map.

kidko

I was making fun of KZ4 for the nonexistent recoil, but this game seems to barely have any either. Is there even a point in shooting in bursts?

Def depends on the gun. My AK 5C tries to fly out of my hands in stock config. Probably better with a grip or something.

I was making fun of KZ4 for the nonexistent recoil, but this game seems to barely have any either. Is there even a point in shooting in bursts?

Bursts let your deviation settle (the crosshairs "spread"), which is the other half of getting bullets to hit a target downrange. Doesn't matter if you keep the gun pointed at the target with no recoil if most of those bullets are flying in a circle wider than the target.

This has probably already been discussed lately, but am I the only one finding it bullshit that I have to manage my loadouts in the game lobby? Just sayin'.

Depends on the gun, but according to Matimi0, DICE has put emphasis on differentiating the guns based on ROF and recoil. Low ROF guns generally have low recoil and are good at range, while high ROF have high recoil and good in CQ.

LMGs kinda different--you have to use burst fire to be effective when not using a bipod or at close range.

JLeack

Banned
I froze 5 times in a matter of 3 hours yesterday while playing the PC version. There is something seriously wrong with the game or the latest Nvidia drivers.

This has probably already been discussed lately, but am I the only one finding it bullshit that I have to manage my loadouts in the game lobby? Just sayin'.

Not sure I know what you mean. You can change loadouts in battlelog before a match, as well as inbetween deaths. Or do you mean you can't change them while still alive? Haven't tried that myself yet, I usually do it on respawn.

Sethos

Banned

I'm also controlling the recoil by moving the mouse down. However the LMGs damage is much lower and have a much higher ROF, so their recoil shouldn't be spraying all over the place or they'd be useless.

03sho

Haven't seen many online gameplay vids of this but from what I have seen the recoil on the weapons when playing online look to have been toned down quite a lot.

Is it just me?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
First game of this genre since mw2, if I want to be a sniper and sit back and shoot people is that possible? Read the OP and it seems like ill be chastised for this, despite the fact that this is how I enjoy multiplayer games like this. Is Recon the class to spec into for this desire?

jet1911

Haven't seen many online gameplay vids of this but from what I have seen the recoil on the weapons when playing online look to have been toned down quite a lot.

Is it just me?

Not that I noticed. You really need to control the recoil with the mouse or else you'll shoot all over the place.

Smokey

So I get some unlocks in a battle pack. It's equipped. When I go to change my loadouts if i select something else and then try and go back to the unlocked battle pack part.. I can't equip it. If I save the loadout without the unlocked part apparently I can't re equip it..?

antitrop

I thought the one with the smoke stack was a bit weak. You have a friggin nuke, and all you get is this tiny explosion. I was expecting a friggin mushroom cloud and a huge crater and debris across the map.

Exactly, that was by far the weakest one, to me. BF4 has extremely impressive explosion effects, and then that is just... yeah.

Afro

Bursts let your deviation settle (the crosshairs "spread"), which is the other half of getting bullets to hit a target downrange. Doesn't matter if you keep the gun pointed at the target with no recoil if most of those bullets are flying in a circle wider than the target.

Def depends on the gun. My AK 5C tries to fly out of my hands in stock config. Probably better with a grip or something.

I'm also controlling the recoil by moving the mouse down. However the LMGs damage is much lower and have a much higher ROF, so their recoil shouldn't be spraying all over the place or they'd be useless.

Depends on the gun, but according to Matimi0, DICE has put emphasis on differentiating the guns based on ROF and recoil. Low ROF guns generally have low recoil and are good at range, while high ROF have high recoil and good in CQ.

LMGs kinda different--you have to use burst fire to be effective when not using a bipod or at close range.

All true, thanks. Found a vid that examines the bullet spread differences of an LMG using full auto vs. burst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IvqvPz-luk

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I have to say it. Operation Locker is a fucking terrible ass map.

It's like two versions of Metro had an inbred child that turned out very, very speshul. Such a clusterfuck of a map, rubbish spawn points and so many random places to die from. Terrible in every way possible. I really didn't like Shanghai at first but after having seen the alternatives it might actually be my favourite map.

You absolutely have to play that map with a low player count.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So I get some unlocks in a battle pack. It's equipped. When I go to change my loadouts if i select something else and then try and go back to the unlocked battle pack part.. I can't equip it. If I save the loadout without the unlocked part apparently I can't re equip it..?

Bug, or Battlelog hasn't registered you unlocking it yet. It's similar to the singleplayer saying you gained something and taking a few hours to register you did. Wait a few hours/day and come back. If it isn't unlocked then: bitch.

First game of this genre since mw2, if I want to be a sniper and sit back and shoot people is that possible? Read the OP and it seems like ill be chastised for this, despite the fact that this is how I enjoy multiplayer games like this. Is Recon the class to spec into for this desire?

It's possible, and yes recon is the right class. People tend to rage at snipers that sit back on a hill and shoot because unless you are exceedingly good at shutting down the other team, your contribution to winning the objective is likely to be a lot less than someone closer to the fight who is acting more like a squad's designated marksman.

That said, there are some game modes where sniping like that has more positive impact, like playing defense on rush. Just don't be afraid to get off your hill and finish with a pistol or disarm the mcoms!

Tak3n

Banned
So what class is the most popular do you guys think, as I like to go the opposite... I am guessing Engineers...

Thinking of going support for the excellent M249

Evilcrane

Just booted up the game and ran into a pretty weird problem: I can't move backwards while strafing to my left! Apparently this is tied to using custom keybinds (I use IKJL for movement) and I also noticed that sometimes when I press B it'll open up the console.

TheSeks

So what class is the most popular do you guys think, as I like to go the opposite... I am guessing Engineers...

Thinking of going support for the excellent M249

GO AS THE SITUATION DICTATES SnoopBlingee#YOLOSWAG.gif

Too many people go engineer and then forget to take tanks out: So, fuck the "popularity." Don't be a newbie and USE THE FUCKING CLASSES AS THE SITUATION CHANGES.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
It's possible, and yes recon is the right class. People tend to rage at snipers that sit back on a hill and shoot because unless you are exceedingly good at shutting down the other team, your contribution to winning the objective is likely to be a lot less than someone closer to the fight who is acting more like a squad's designated marksman.

That said, there are some game modes where sniping like that has more positive impact, like playing defense on rush. Just don't be afraid to get off your hill and finish with a pistol or disarm the mcoms!

Good good, ill see how it goes, i dont usually sit 2 mile back, but there isnt much better than sniping someone on the move :eek:

Nymphae

Banned
Who buys Battlefield game for single player? Crysis 3 sp was also pretty shit, and the mp was total garbage.

*puts hand up*

I love the MP too, but I feel like I was one of the few who had a good time with BF3's campaign, I actually had more fun with it than the last few CODs that I can barely remember. All the videos of BF4 singleplayer have me excited too, but yeah, MP is where it's at obviously.

TheSeks

There's too many idiots that don't know how to use their kit items to where I have to switch to get recon intel/take tanks out/heal/resupply.

And then I'm sitting at the top of the leaderboard in points and they lemming to that class.

It's like "WTF, why the hell are you doing that now!?"

Beaner

Just booted up the game and ran into a pretty weird problem: I can't move backwards while strafing to my left! Apparently this is tied to using custom keybinds (I use IKJL for movement) and I also noticed that sometimes when I press B it'll open up the console.

Probably a similar issue to one I have trying to rebind my game pad for helicopters to be the same as BF3. If I use left trigger to throttle down, the right stick input doesn't register. Probably because the default action of left trigger is to activate freelook.

PC version so I don't have the legacy controls option

elyetis

I would actually say support. People play engi to kill tank/copper/boat and repare their own; medic is still probably the most popular one; sniper well people need to play their useless class.

Then there is support, which no one play ( shame on Dice for giving C4 to sniper ) nor share ammo, while it's actually very needed, mostly for the engi.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I hate shitty teams so much. Hey guys, want to help with the objective? Nope, we'll hang back and die here instead of up there.

Geoff9920

I usually try to keep a balance of classes in my squads. If there are 3 Engi's, I'm gonna go support. If there are 3 Assault's, then I'm going Engi/Recon. The worst is a squad full of snipers, ugh.
Go Engi and ask them to mark targets.

I always play support as my primary class (M249!) until the situation requires me to switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom