• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrongway

So, I'm replaying the last mission to grab the couple unlocks, but per Battlelog, the assignment/achievement is still greyed out. Do I really have to sit through the whole credits again to get it to stick? o_O

HariKari

So, I'm replaying the last mission to grab the couple unlocks, but per Battlelog, the assignment/achievement is still greyed out. Do I really have to sit through the whole credits again to get it to stick? o_O

No. Complete all three options, give Battlelog a moment, and it should show up. Try the weapons out on the Test Range.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

No, it takes a while for that show up. It took a while for me to see the first level unlocked. Like 2-3 hours.

Battlelog is just slow to update right now.

Nowise10

Probably 80% done with the Campaign, but I really am enjoying it. They give you ALOT more variety then in Battlefield 3, and many ways for you to tackle the missions. I also really love the combined feeling of multiplayer in the campaign.

I don't understand why reviewers are claiming its bad. So far the story doesn't make much sense to me, but if you're going to rip on Battlefields campaign because it doesn't provide the best story...

Timu

Just played the first 2 Single Player missions and holy hell.... best looking game I have EVER seen.

Sure fire way to impress though: Night time, Rain and shiny ligths everywhere
Yeah that mission graphically looks awesome.

1280x720px-LL-3e6b66b4_bf42013-10-2900-40-09-16.png

20cent

Banned
Unlock systems in multiplayer are the worst. BF3 became so much more enjoyable once I didn't have to focus on unlocking everything anymore. You can just use what you want to use whenever you want.

Couldn't agree more.
Especially for the reckon class, I suck at sniping and probably always will, I never could get anything better after the 1st sniping rifle in BF3. Seems that the better you are, easier is the unlocked weapon without the need to reload after each bullet..

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They aren't for sale. You can get a ton of battlepacks once you finish the vanilla unlocks by getting weapon specific battlepacks. It rains camos and XP boosts at that point. The whole "pay2win" thing was overblown. The gold packs contain a higher chance at battlepack only stuff like premium knives and adaptive camos but that's about it.
Ah, that's good at least. I was worried they'd go down the Mass Effect 3 route.

HariKari

Ah, that's good at least. I was worried they'd go down the Mass Effect 3 route.

The only thing that drops in gold battlepacks exclusively is the knives, I think. And you get one of those every ten levels, up to 100, so you should get every knife in the game. A few of them are unlocked via SP (Shank and Machete). The 'advanced' stuff is really just cosmetics for the most part. You get the vanilla version that has an identical function just by grinding out kills. Once you max out the vanillas, you get a weapon battlepack for that gun every 50 kills or so. Those packs contain stuff exclusively for that gun, as well as a chance at boosts/camo.

So, really, it's actually a more friendly system than BF3 when you think about it. Most guns unlock the ideal setup within 50 kills or so. The rest is just catering to your playstyle. I'm good at comping for muzzle flip, so I like heavy barrels. New players will probably want to stick with compensators and brakes. Some of these guns have zero climb and negligible wander with those equipped. They really took the skill out of mastering the weapons for the most part. Good players can still win gunfights but it should be considerably more console friendly and new player friendly.

Just finished the campaign. Very short but was fun. I was sad to see no true "sniper" or "f18" missions like the previous games. COD4's sniper mission was epic to me and I'd like to see something like that in a battlefield game.

Also... the more I play this the more I realize I wish Dice would do a proper sequel to Battlefield 1942. The technology they have at their fingertips now mixed with the weaponry from that area would just be epic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only thing that drops in gold battlepacks exclusively is the knives, I think. And you get one of those every ten levels, up to 100, so you should get every knife in the game. A few of them are unlocked via SP (Shank and Machete). The 'advanced' stuff is really just cosmetics for the most part. You get the vanilla version that has an identical function just by grinding out kills. Once you max out the vanillas, you get a weapon battlepack for that gun every 50 kills or so. Those packs contain stuff exclusively for that gun, as well as a chance at boosts/camo.

So, really, it's actually a more friendly system than BF3 when you think about it. Most guns unlock the ideal setup within 50 kills or so. The rest is just catering to your playstyle. I'm good at comping for muzzle flip, so I like heavy barrels. New players will probably want to stick with compensators and brakes. Some of these guns have zero climb and negligible wander with those equipped. They really took the skill out of mastering the weapons for the most part. Good players can still win gunfights but it should be considerably more console friendly and new player friendly.

So it's all cosmetics? You aren't unlocking gun parts randomly through the packs?

Ramirez

I keep getting freezing issues on 360, it was just during loading screens last night, but tonight it happened in game a couple times, shit sucks.

What's with tank smoke being flares and not, you know, smoke? Guess I hope you'll unlock actual smoke then. Stupid unlocking.

Wanted to switch to SAM to shoot down birds, but it wasn't unlocked. Unlocking should burn in hell and die.

Which hits your FPS the hardest? Singleplayer or multiplayer on PC?
Depends on what's going on I suppose.
SP hits the low 20's when there's lots of effects. MP has been smoother for me so far, framerate-wise. But I get these intolerable skips, which will completely bone me over, and seem indicative of a lack of VRAM. My 570 can't quite cope maxing this game.

J-Rzez

This game's MP needs a hard look at. First off, you have "Obliteration" games running infinitely on the clock. Was just in one for nearly 2 hours. Next up, game crashes at the end, all progress lost for my buddy. Fucking shit DICE, get your act together. Why isn't server queue implemented along with "premium" features yet? Come on.

There's no excuse for this stuff to happen still in nearly 2014. Alpha and Beta testing QA needs a hard look anymore. It's unacceptable. /vent.

I keep getting freezing issues on 360, it was just during loading screens last night, but tonight it happened in game a couple times, shit sucks.

Yep, same here. Weirdly enough most happen when I'm in an attack chopper. Happened twice today and once yesterday. Also have had a few random freezes, one of which while I was Commander lol.

maneil99

You and me both, brother. Fuck this.
You getting crashes too. I had a freeze and reboot randomly. GPU and CPU are as solid as a rock. Weiiiird. Hoping its the game. Worked fine afterwards. Running prime overnight.

We both have modded 780s. What did you manage to clocks yours to.

The campaign is so mindnumbingly dumb. It's actually quite the feat to play through. Never have I not given so less of a shit about the characters and what happens. None of it matters. I feel like the game drops you in and pulls you out so quickly that literally nothing story wise makes sense much less resonates with you after the game is over. It's a complete mindfuck that's hard to describe. It's mesmerizing actually.

The campaign is so mindnumbingly dumb. It's actually quite the feat to play through. Never have I not given so less of a shit about the characters and what happens. None of it matters. I feel like the game drops you in and pulls you out so quickly that literally nothing story wise makes sense much less resonates with you after the game is over. It's a complete mindfuck that's hard to describe. It's mesmerizing actually.

Yeah, BF has always been known for disappointing single player. Maybe trying to be too Hollywood or not Hollywood enough? I don't know.

Multiplayer is really fun though.
360 has a built-in upscaler. PS3 has a broken upscaler that only works horizontally or something like that.

Kind of don't get it. Is that good or bad?

Is 360 version better than?

Milennia

You get some decent weapons by the end of it for use in MP =p

thats pretty much what the campaign of this game means to me.

Playing this on Ultra settings and my jaw is on the floor. I know graphics aren't everything, but by God they help.

Also using Shadowplay and if there's any performance hit I can't see it. Recorded about an hour and forty of gameplay @ 1080/60 and it took up a (relatively) measly 29GB.

Had some fucked up graphical glitching with the smoke effects turning into a strobe-show in the first mission, but restarting the game seemed to sort it out and I've had no problems with it since *shrug*

TheSeks

Kind of don't get it. Is that good or bad?

Is 360 version better than?

Only if you want the best version for current gen and don't plan to upgrade.

If you plan to upgrade and are jumping ship from MS, get the PS3 version so your stats are carried over to PS4's BF4.

You get some decent weapons by the end of it for use in MP =p

thats pretty much what the campaign of this game means to me.

Yep, I want my fucking FN P90 but I'm so busy unlocking the combat medic, engineer, spec ops, support skills and getting to rank 10 for Commander that I haven't put the time into the singleplayer to finish it yet.

It's already better than BF3's due to the fact it doesn't randomly kill you for breaking script and going too far ahead and doesn't have pin-point accuracy enemies on hard. So that's already an improvement.

But the story is a hot mess of not-quite-following you.

The gameplay itself, if it focused more on the multiplayer scoring and all that, would be fine. A nice "training-wheel" for the multiplayer. I feel that's what DICE intended, but didn't go fully with because I guess some people would get bored throwing out kit items and the like in the singleplayer. :/

TheSeks

I thought PS3 version was the better of the two current-gen consoles according to Lens of Truth?

So 360 is better than?

You're asking resolution: I'm going to jump ahead and conclude that neither console is doing 1080p despite them being advertised as doing that back in 2005-2007. Here's the thing: The X-box 720 is getting this title as a 720p title. What makes you think the 360 version is going to be better than that?

Hell the PS3 version while we're chucking versions under the bus.

Currently:

PC (DOS GRAFIX) > PS3 (if planning to jump ship from MS's consoles to PS family) > X-box 360 (if planning to stay on MS consoles)

Next month:

PC (DOS GRAFIX) > PS4 (1080p native) > 720 (720p native, IIRC or sub-1080p) > PS3 (if planning to upgrade to PS4) > 360 (if planning to jump to PS4, which loses your stats)

But anyway: You're asking the wrong thing. You should be asking: "Which platform am I going to stick with with the 8th generation of consoles coming."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom