• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisco

Banned
Has anyone figured out how to get the Steam overlay on BF4 yet? I read something about adding the Origin Launcher to your Steam library but haven't tried it yet.

Well, if you guys want somebody who primarily plays Support/Assault, follows squad orders (ASSUMING THERE ARE ANY) and throws out lots of ammo, add me: cannibalchef

Bombless

Yeah, Locker is really bad. It's a rush to grab C and then the camping begins. You just need to have smart enough team mates to cover the outside access as well.

The resort map is also a nightmare. Explosions everywhere and the fact the borders of the map are higher ground means you get shot from all angles if you're not in the middle....But the fun thing was playing with mines on the bridges that lead to the hotel. All the APCs were going through them.

Also played Flood (only once, and it was confusing, but it does seem like a very interesting map, tons of hidden passages for infantry, a real nightmare for tanks), Shanghai (unsurprisingly I'm bored to hell of this map now), the uber wide map in the fields (was it the train map? I couldn't tell) with the LRML in the middle (also learned it counts as transport vehicle for kills lol) then the server crashed during map switching.

Made it to rank 4 i think, not bad for a first run. No lag out of the ordinary, and while there was a tiny bit of rubberbanding once or twice I had no issues really.

qeoNLVH.gif

Oh may goad! This makes me want to buy a new computer.

Lingitiz

Has anyone figured out how to get the Steam overlay on BF4 yet? I read something about adding the Origin Launcher to your Steam library but haven't tried it yet.

If it works the same as BF3, you'll want to add Origin as a shortcut and disable Origin's overlay. Then launch BF4 and it should work.

Spookie

Well I've come to the conclusion Storm is one of the worst maps I've ever played in BF. Giving the teams two attack boats is a terrible idea because one organized squad can go round nuking everything in site and turning the entire game one sided. I've not played one round of it where one side didn't completely dominate the other. The islands aren't nearly wide enough or high enough to avoid the volleys from the boats and they have so much HP you can't really take them down with RPGs without dying in the process. Of course they will be equipped with at least one person repairing them so any thing you do hit them with is negated almost straight away.

Did I mention they also have strong anti air capabilities in the form of 2 volleys of AA missiles in quick succession? :|

Raven77

Well I've come to the conclusion Storm is one of the worst maps I've ever played in BF. Giving the teams two attack boats is a terrible idea because one organized squad can go round nuking everything in site and turning the entire game one sided. I've not played one round of it where one side didn't completely dominate the other. The islands aren't nearly wide enough or high enough to avoid the volleys from the boats and they have so much HP you can't really take them down with RPGs without dying in the process. Of course they will be equipped with at least one person repairing them so any thing you do hit them with is negated almost straight away.

Did I mention they also have strong anti air capabilities in the form of 2 volleys of AA missiles in quick succession? :|

I find this pretty funny because its the most "Battlefield-feeling" map that I've played in a long long time. I think the flag spread is great, the islands have elevation to them with bridges for infantry, the graphics are amazing, and I feel it has just the right amount of vehicles. Are you honestly saying that this map is worse than Metro, Operation Firestorm, and many of the other terrible BF3 maps?

The attack boats are definitely OP though against the raft boats.

aravuus

Oh come ON, was doing literally the best I have EVER done in a battlefield match, and the game crashes in the last minutes....

well that campaign was totally underwhelming. Same shit as Crysis 3, awesome technically, but by the numbers gameplay and a robustly terrible story. It's also like, half the length of the SP in BF3, which was infinitely better.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I haven't REALLY started this mission yet but... yup. Blue.

I'm going to tone that the hell down in SweetFX. I actually hate the color grading on this map.... but the weather is wonderful.

Some people are really obsessed with this" Fuck it's blue" thing

Sometimes when you go outside and the sky is just right in the middle of a thunderstorm things will look blue. I'm not a fan of throwing every color possible on screen. Usually less is more.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The way neon lights glow through the mist and rain looks so good. I wish the tower collapse on Shanghai would copy across a similar effect instead of everything getting covered in plaster.

Had an awesome game on Flood Zone. Definitely the stand out map so far.

Sometimes when you go outside and the sky is just right in the middle of a thunderstorm things will look blue. I'm not a fan of throwing every color possible on screen. Usually less is more.

In these scenes, I wouldn't expect to see every color. I would expect more... grey. It's raining outside right now and everything looks kinda dull and desaturated.

Oh come ON, was doing literally the best I have EVER done in a battlefield match, and the game crashes in the last minutes....

If you refrain from joining any server again until the match you crashed out of is over, you'll get points for it when the game ends.

Raven77

In it's current iteration? Sure. But it's also one of the easiest to fix with a bit of work.

We'll just have to respectfully disagree with one another. Paracel Storm is not perfect (few maps ever are) but to me it feels very much like a great Battlefield map. I hope you find some others in BF4 you enjoy.

Sethos

Banned
Oh man, already getting those Battlefield-horror flashbacks. Just had the longest most excruciating hour-long game on Flood Zone. As basic infantry you just fucking run around exposed as shit the entire round. On the ground? Water, no real fighting. On the rooftoops? They are overlooked by like 5 buildings and a highway overpass so you are just a sitting duck aaaaaaaaaand that's it. No more places to fight. Then you can just randomly make your way through puddles of water, go through a few windows and that's it.

I take back what I said about Operation Locker. Flood Zones is now my most hated map.

Please give me a CQB expansion ...

-SD-

Banned
What is the default single player FOV in the PC version?

It looks kind of low in the gameplay footage I've seen...

Oh man, already getting those Battlefield-horror flashbacks. Just had the longest most excruciating hour-long game on Flood Zone. As basic infantry you just fucking run around exposed as shit the entire round. On the ground? Water, no real fighting. On the rooftoops? They are overlooked by like 5 buildings and a highway overpass so you are just a sitting duck aaaaaaaaaand that's it. No more places to fight. Then you can just randomly make your way through puddles of water, go through a few windows and that's it.

I take back what I said about Operation Locker. Flood Zones is now my most hated map.

Yeah, the amount of people who camp the middle-top on both that map and Zavod 311 really take away from the enjoyment I get from playing them.

I keep getting in games where people will just not fucking mark anyone. It's like people aren't pressing Q on purpose. And then no one playing recon seems to mark aircrafts. There's 8 on my team and not one targeting helicopters -_-.

Paracel Storm and Flood Zone are my favourite maps so far. Brilliant blends of land, sea and air combat and you're never too far from a fight but never feels like a clusterfuck either :D

I was worried about Flood Zone based on the description, but it's honestly my favorite map in the game. It's weird because I've never been fond of small to mid-size maps in BF.

Oh man, already getting those Battlefield-horror flashbacks. Just had the longest most excruciating hour-long game on Flood Zone. As basic infantry you just fucking run around exposed as shit the entire round.

Yeah... that's when Battlefield stops being fun. When you feel like you can't make your way anywhere on foot without being blasted by a helicopter\jet\some other overpowered thing. And it's usually made worse with certain map designs.

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, the amount of people who camp the middle-top on both that map and Zavod 311 really take away from the enjoyment I get from playing them.

I keep getting in games where people will just not fucking mark anyone. It's like people aren't pressing Q on purpose. And then no one playing recon seems to mark aircrafts. There's 8 on my team and not one targeting helicopters -_-.

Yeah, I can't stand that type of gameplay where I just need to duck and cover from snipers hiding on roofs, be confined to a little area of the map and that's your general gameplay. It's really poor map design in my opinion. Especially flood zones because the actual meat of the map which would be in-between buildings is killed off within the first 2 minutes with the "levelution" event.

And yes, in the Beta every single thing was marked constantly. Now I actually see tanks drive by me that hasn't even been marked despite being on a main road. I mark it and go "What the ..."

Yeah... that's when Battlefield stops being fun. When you feel like you can't make your way anywhere on foot without being blasted by a helicopter\jet\some other overpowered thing. And it's usually made worse with certain map designs.

That's why I always been a bit shaky about Battlefield. Unless you get a vehicle it was just a lot of running, being exposed a lot and dying a lot from stupid shit. When you finally saw someone, 4 people spawned on top of them and you had no chance. It's just annoying because the game is excellent in many areas but the map design really does infantry no favours.

antitrop

Irish is so damn unbearably whiny in every situation. All the dialogue is awful.

He's one of the least likeable game character I've ever come across. All these fucking people are awful, I want them all to die. I want the enemy to win.

I know next to nothing about PC gaming I didn't even buy it for myself, I know the 780 is good but I know people who want graphics like that pack one or two Titans?

idk I'm maxed out on an HD 7950 running 50-70 fps.

I'm happy.

Irish is so God damn unbearably whiny.

He's one of the least likeable game character I've ever come across. All these fucking people are awful, I want them all to die. I want the enemy to win.

God damnit, DICE.

LOL this. I thought I was the only one who thought it.
His hate towards Hannah was one of the most baseless things I've seen in a story.

Effect

So what does this game really look like on the PS3? Any comparison shots and video yet? Didn't see anything added to the opening post.

HariKari

2 questions:

• what's the most accurate LMG for mid/long-range?
• how many C4 does it take to blow up a tank? 2?

2 to disable, three to kill, depending on placement.

Most accurate LMG in the game is the LSAT, even moreso with the heavy barrel. Laser beams.

xclaw

So what does this game really look like on the PS3? Any comparison shots and video yet? Didn't see anything added to the opening post.

It's terrible.

Eg.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_LAaCS1IgQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujWKwI-1Ll8
I'm just trying to enjoy it for what it is until the PS4 rolls out. BF3 looks and runs better and that's not saying much. I also don't know if it's just a byproduct of playing the digital version but my FPS is all over the place and the knifing animations are literally like 6 stuttering frames from start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom