• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

After this suppression fix makes its way to the PS4 and the next DLC comes out I'll hop back on the game. Right now I just don't have any drive to play it, even with the netcode fix.

I don't like the way they set up the servers. I wish that custom maplists could still be Official and get quick match players. Playing Operation Mortar Conquest 24/7 on the test servers spoiled me, I love that map so much more than the other Naval Strike ones because it is basically just a tweaked Iwo Jima.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I keep getting this stupid glitch where the enemy kills me and it says if I want to get revived or deploy, then I can't respawn at all and keep looking at the other player that kills me forever. Wtf.

Tubie

I keep getting this stupid glitch where the enemy kills me and it says if I want to get revived or deploy, then I can't respawn at all and keep looking at the other player that kills me forever. Wtf.

This has happened to me like 3 times in the past week. I never had it happen before then.

Your only option is to leave the game, it sucks.

friday

I agree on weapon balance and on the engineer weapons. The HUD in 4 I do think is a confusing mess. Playing BC2, BF3 and BF4 lately, BF3 still has the best netcode of the bunch.

Yes, those two problems are objectively bad. I think my biggest issue is level design. The maps from 4 do not create solid battle lines, just people all over the place. That is probably the thing I miss the most from BF2. Karkand was such a badass attack and defend map. I had one BF2 stretch where I only played that map. I could not get enough.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Five reasons why BF3 is better than BF4, by LVLCAP

Another good video from lvlcap on the state of battlefield.

Thoughts?

I agree and disagree.

Weapons; Yeah. PDW's should be the cross-class weapon, but carbines are so satisfying to use on all classes too.
DMR's really are awkward. I maxed them out on my friends account using a lot of 100% XP buffs on a DEXP weekend. Now that I'm just grinding them with 25%'s, i'm finding it a bit more... annoying. I still can't figure out how to lead shots at certain distances with any of them.

I completely agree on the hud. Changed to the Purp/Red colorblind setting because the green was starting to annoy me with how vibrant it was.While that helped, trying to play through certain portions of maps on rush/ 64 player gametypes on smaller maps... it gets clogged. Fast.
I hadn't even noticed the kill feed until the other night, when I stopped shooting at someone because I had gotten a Kill, a Suppression Assist, and a "Destroyed Explosive" on my feed. The assist text feels much too prominent after that. Sure, it was my bad to stop shooting entirely, but the small things do become second nature after so much playtime.

Netcode: Yeah. Even after the patch, I'm still dying way too often entirely behind cover.

Maps: Vehicle to Infantry balance feels like it wasn't even tested on some maps/gametypes. Glad to see they're updating soon. As well, I tried the server filter of "Infantry" last night. Not a single server in any gametype. Forced to play on Op Metro, Op locker, or smaller team gametypes. Bummer.

I feel this game would benefit from more customization. Sure, that's the Halo player in me talking... but I would greatly enjoy "Infantry" gametypes with Transport vehicles only.
I love me some tanks, I love me some helis, I love me some Jets... but sometimes it would be fun to change the parameters of the map (Let's use G-Railway as an example), only use Jeeps, ATV's, and Motorcycles, and have a fun 64 player Domination/Conquest server.
When say conquest, I'd actually remove much of the spawn area and push the points to different parts of the map (and make the train either stationary or move it under the rails)

Genades; Yeah, I like the variety but Minis, RGO's, and the fact that you can restock with Ammo boxes is just plain out stupid. Grenade launchers and XM25s?? It seems DICE has forgotten this gem.

Ah well.
I still greatly enjoy the game, and can't wait for the next patch/map pack. New weapons look slick, too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, learned the hard way tonight that DMR's only have a max of 4x scopes. Makes using them on Rogue Transmission impossible and trying.

I still need to get like 25 headshots for the M35 before I can go to the Chinese DMR and headshot with those. Ugh.

Ark

Seems like they're being really quiet about it at the moment. Kinda strange given how much they were teasing it before E3, or maybe that's not strange at all..

I know how to balance suppression very easily. Completely remove it from the game and forget it ever existed.

yeah well the whole idea of suppression is to be "realistic" and BF is the only game series where suppressing fire is a thing that can be atleast a little useful. It was even more brutal in the Realism Mod for BF2.

terrible

Banned
yeah well the whole idea of suppression is to be "realistic" and BF is the only game series where suppressing fire is a thing that can be atleast a little useful. It was even more brutal in the Realism Mod for BF2.

Battlefield is completely arcadey though. It feels really out of place. Suppression should be left to the slower more tactical shooters like Red Orchestra imo.

Acinixys

Thoughts?

I agree. Im usually average in BF4 games but in 3 im a machine. So clearly BF3 is the better game

vbCKsfK.png

Battlefield is completely arcadey though. It feels really out of place. Suppression should be left to the slower more tactical shooters like Red Orchestra imo.

Well i wouldn't say completely-completely, it's still a military shooter with other similarly "realistic" features they try to balance in. (bullet drop, magazine reload variants, fall damage, flashbangs etc.)

And i like the fact that suppressing fire is a thing in Battlefield, i don't know if its more annoying on the PC but on the PS4 its not that drastic as you aren't as accurate with the thumbsticks anyways.

Suppression can be a lifesaver with an inaccurate LMG against a DMR or assault rifle guy that has a little distance to you.

terrible

Banned
Whenever I use the AWS I do awful. I'll switch to the Ace 52 mid round and instantly do great by comparison. I don't think the AWS needs a nerf at all.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
64 player DOM is... super fun!

Something I would like to ask though - What are your opinions of the Airburst?

I feel like it breaks the fucking game, but hey. I'm just one dude.

Been trying out the CZ3A1 lately and I can see it has the potential to be a beast with the right loadout. What do you guys think will be the best setup for the gun for CQB?

It feels like a mini AEK to me. Expirimenting with that gun at the moment as well.

Been trying out the CZ3A1 lately and I can see it has the potential to be a beast with the right loadout. What do you guys think will be the best setup for the gun for CQB?

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
64 player DOM is... super fun!

Something I would like to ask though - What are your opinions of the Airburst?

I feel like it breaks the fucking game, but hey. I'm just one dude.

Don't agree at all on the air burst. They made it so it really can't be used as a primary with much effectiveness and it is one of the few tools for countering snipers on tall buildings, which I feel is a bigger issue than the air burst.

Don't get me wrong, on cqc maps like locker and metro (and 64 player dom I would imagine) it can be a real pain in the ass, but take it out and those maps would still be a horrible mess w/ grenade spam. If the xm25 was taken out, everyone would just use other grenade launchers. Problem is not the xm25, but the map design that gives it the chance to be op.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Problem is not the xm25, but the map design that gives it the chance to be op.

True Dat.
Where I run into rage fests, though, is when people jump on rooftops or headglitch to harass high traffic areas. Throw down an ammo pack, have infinite ammo, and suppress the crap out of everyone. Sure, you don't get many kills, but you rack up points and generally piss the other team off.

Like I said before, I have no idea why grenades/launchers are restocked by ammo boxes.

TheSeks

wait, didn't people scream bloody murder about Engineers in BF3 having 'everything' because of Carbine as class weapon?

No. I screamed bloody murder because Engineers had RPG's, Carbines, Grenades, Mines, and Torches. They were basically the "RAMIREZ DO EVERYTHING" class. Easy modo.

PDW being all class wasn't the problem. Neither was Carbines (though they're a bigger issue than PDW's since PDW's don't have the "range" Carbines do), the problem is Engineers can solve 90% of situations in BF3 (and 4) right now.

Though I'm of the opinion that Carbine's shouldn't have left engineers. They're basically "assault rifles" for everyone. :/

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
True Dat.
Where I run into rage fests, though, is when people jump on rooftops or headglitch to harass high traffic areas. Throw down an ammo pack, have infinite ammo, and suppress the crap out of everyone. Sure, you don't get many kills, but you rack up points and generally piss the other team off.

Like I said before, I have no idea why grenades/launchers are restocked by ammo boxes.
I honestly thought I remembered them saying after the beta that the xm would not restock because people were destroying with it. Maybe they made other changes so that they didn't need to do this or something.

Can't say I have run into people using it as a suppression machine, but I may not have noticed as well since there are so many ways to suppress in this game.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I honestly thought I remembered them saying after the beta that the xm would not restock because people were destroying with it. Maybe they made other changes so that they didn't need to do this or something.

Can't say I have run into people using it as a suppression machine, but I may not have noticed as well since there are so many ways to suppress in this game.
On shenghai, at least, that'll be fixed by the removal of rooftops. I cannot WAIT for that to hit consoles. The map is so much fun when people are actually pushing up.

Today was the first day that I've run into an airbust headglitcher on OpLocker, but the thing is that this guy was outside between A and B. A single dude holding down 4 guys long enough to have his squad spawn, just lame. Entirely ruined the flanking potential because we were all taking too much damage and too repressed to hit the pixel of helmet that was popping over a rock.

Anto another topic -
DMR users; What's your favorite?
I've been running the SKS to unlock most everything (and actually hit 1st place during a long game which was awesome), but i'm wondering if any of you have fun setups with any of the other flavors?
I recall the EMR just sounding beastly and being fun to use on my first go-round. Dunno which attachments will maximise the power.

Orcus

No. I screamed bloody murder because Engineers had RPG's, Carbines, Grenades, Mines, and Torches. They were basically the "RAMIREZ DO EVERYTHING" class. Easy modo.

PDW being all class wasn't the problem. Neither was Carbines (though they're a bigger issue than PDW's since PDW's don't have the "range" Carbines do), the problem is Engineers can solve 90% of situations in BF3 (and 4) right now.

Though I'm of the opinion that Carbine's shouldn't have left engineers. They're basically "assault rifles" for everyone. :/
I think the engineer role needs something to Nerf it slightly because right now it's the most valuable class as it's the only real ranged counter to vehicles with no significant penalties, and you can tell by the number of people playing as engineers. I would prefer to see more distribution between the classes, instead of most people just choosing engineer.

I think it would make sense to have PDW be engineer only, shotguns and DMRs be multiclass, and either drop carbines or give them to one of the other classes.

TheSeks

I think the engineer role needs something to Nerf it slightly because right now it's the most valuable class as it's the only real ranged counter to vehicles with no significant penalties, and you can tell by the number of people playing as engineers. I would prefer to see more distribution between the classes, instead of most people just choosing engineer.

I think it would make sense to have PDW be engineer only, shotguns and DMRs be multiclass, and either drop carbines or give them to one of the other classes.

I don't see what good dropping carbines would be. Carbines in BC2 were alright, but they were able to snipe across the map like all other guns. Honestly, I think they need a bigger bullet drop hit if they're going to be "all class."

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
On shenghai, at least, that'll be fixed by the removal of rooftops. I cannot WAIT for that to hit consoles. The map is so much fun when people are actually pushing up.

No more elevator access or rooftops will be outif bounds? Getting rid of elevators will do nothing by itself. If people want to roof camp, they will get up there by any means.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
What do you mean? They are removing the rooftops on Shanghai?

They've taken out Heli's and Elevators on Shenghai (Rush Only on CTE servers... hope this translates to consoles)
While some rooftops will still be easy to get to, it won't be as ridiculous on the first set.

The Engineer class is pretty much a one man army if you play alone.

Medic and Support classes are ONLY viable if you teamplay in my opinion. And most of online public game randoms only want to improve their KD-ratio as seen in many conquest, obliteration and domination matches. People just camping around going for kills instead of actively capping and winning the games.

I kinda did like the old system that Engineers only had Shotguns or PDW's, that way they were balanced to not be able to do any long distance fighting.

HelloMeow

Thoughts?

I went back to BF3 a couple of weeks after BF4 came out, just to compare the two.
I should not have dont that, because I stopped playing BF4 right after that.

So much stuff that was perfectly fine in BF3, was just blatantly unfinished in BF4.
It felt like when they started working on BF4, they took whatever version of BF3 they had laying around, and went on from there. And all of the gimmicky crap they added didn't help either.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist

Thoughts?
#1 I often have trouble seeing things, and make my HUD larger in games that allow me to scale it, so I like the bigger UI. Also if we're talking visibility, the colorless, high contrast visuals of BF3 are 100x worse than any HUD will ever be. Killfeed lag I can understand being annoyed with, but then again I see it as a luxury rather than a right or core need of gameplay. I played over a decade of shooters where I had to personally ID deaths. That's how it is in real life, too.

#2 Elitist complaint. Grenades are a real thing and you need to stop being a little shit relying on your covered positioning. I have been outing campers since Quake 1 so I say stop being a bitch and let's fight like men. The only way you can complain about grenades is to say they take less skill, and yet this "non-skill" forces fighting in the open, which is the highest level of skill, so if you are so skilled to look down on the grenades, what is your problem? Not good enough to win away from your precious corners? Also, awareness, positioning, and movement to keep people from getting the drop on you so that flushing with grenades puts you at a disadvantage is part of strategic play. If you weren't relying on non-grenade situations to save you, grenades won't be a problem.

#3 & #4 are simply a matter of taste and playstyle. He clearly likes things a particular way and has trouble adjusting his mindset and approach to the environment rather than just criticizing what he is facing.

#5 Everybody knows, but don't they track way more than they used to as well? Netcode is one of the hardest things to work out in any game, let alone with this big of a beast. I might be more laid back because I spent my teens having a blast in games with massive lag issues, but I still just don't see online as a perfect thing yet. If you want something perfect, set up a lan party or something. Online has compromises.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Funny enough, I have to completely disagree on the Engi class being a 1 man army.

If I'm going 1 man army, it's support. Ammo box is key.
Load up with C4 or something like that. Mmm Mmm Mmm. Dat killstreak.

meppi

#2 Elitist complaint. Grenades are a real thing and you need to stop being a little shit relying on your covered positioning. I have been outing campers since Quake 1 so I say stop being a bitch and let's fight like men. The only way you can complain about grenades is to say they take less skill, and yet this "non-skill" forces fighting in the open, which is the highest level of skill, so if you are so skilled to look down on the grenades, what is your problem? Not good enough to win away from your precious corners? Also, awareness, positioning, and movement to keep people from getting the drop on you so that flushing with grenades puts you at a disadvantage is part of strategic play. If you weren't relying on non-grenade situations to save you, grenades won't be a problem.

Have to say I fully agree with this.
I don't understand his little rant on grenades.
You'd be surprised how many time a well placed/lucky grenade has has gotten a rooftop camper that you otherwise couldn't get to.
Or corner campers like you said so as well. Sure, on Metro and that other shit map it's just spam all around, but that has little to do with how grenades are implemented and everything to do with how shit the level design is in these maps.
There's even more 320,Ariburst,PRG and LMG spam in these maps as there is grenade one.

It's as dumb as whining about how RPGs are overpowered as they can take down wall.
Very few things are as satisfying as seeing a little bitch camping through a tiny window in a far off building or container with a x8 or higher scope and repaying the favour with counter sniping him with an RPG to the face from 200m+ away. ;)
Or at least flushing him out of his hiding hole and getting the attention of half your team focussed on that specific spot.

Well, okay, downing heli's and jets with fire and forget RPGs is even better. :D

Top Bottom