• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

recklessmind said:
Driver can usually tell when someone is shooting just to shoot... there's an aimlessness to it that's unmistakable.

When I'm in the drivers seat I'm too busy concentrating on where I need to go and where I need to shoot to be concerned with the gunner at all.

recklessmind said:
Driver can usually tell when someone is shooting just to shoot... there's an aimlessness to it that's unmistakable.

You know when the machine gun fire is singing non-stop to the tune of this:

02d3910f237e13439427088fa36e22931237865531_full.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
OldJadedGamer said:
When I'm in the drivers seat I'm too busy concentrating on where I need to go and where I need to shoot to be concerned with the gunner at all.

Well when I'm in the driver's seat... the gunner is one of my primary concerns. Protecting the vehicle, concentrating fire where it's needed, and making sure the gunner always has a clear line of fire... in that order. Then there are secondary concerns, some of which: stealthy, unpredictable (possibly surprise) approach, cover for infantry approach (usually smoke), cover for engineers doing repairs.

There's a lot more to being a good driver than just point and shoot... and it'd be nice if people playing support roles would get on the same page.

A gunner who fires off a couple rounds to let you know they're ready is one thing (and honestly it's a bit pointless since I'm watching and waiting for a gunner) or cutting down trees (though I'd argue attackers should be very careful about ever taking down the trees) but some knucklhead shooting at nothing all the way down the road is not thinking about winning. And I want people in my vehicle who are thinking about winning.

abuC

OldJadedGamer said:

The gunner should hold their fire until they see the enemy, that's what I do, it allows you to actually sneak up on people...with a tank. And in some situations, I'd actually prefer the trees to be up, that way engineers have to find channels between the trees to shoot from, which makes them a sitting duck for a split second.

blurrygil

recklessmind said:

True dat. Sick of idiot scrubs blazing away just for the sake of getting their rocks off.

And there's a feeling out, in a ways, to being a side gunner. But if you're going to be someone dealing with vehicles, yo ass had BETTER be an engineer and you BETTER repair your squads sh*t...

abuC said:
Another important thing for new players, if you're riding in the tank with me, don't shoot the machine gun until you see someone. I hate when people just start firing at nothing at all announcing that a tank is on the way, and where it's coming from. That's a good way for you to get left when you get out to repair it, I'll take off without you if you're trigger happy.
this goes for any vehicle! nothing i love more than me sneakily coming in real low to take out an AA in a chopper and the gunner just starts shooting trees... or when i'm trying to ride into the back of a base quietly with a jeep and then a gunner starts shooting up walls...

OldJadedGamer said:
it's my concern about my surroundings that makes me notice the gunner is randomly shooting at nothing. i pay attention to where they're shooting too so i can see what kind of danger is there to see if i shoud angle the tank differently for defensive purposes or if i can give them a better shot. plus the 'firing a few rounds' thing ... i can see when a name appears in the tank!

recklessmind said:
Well when I'm in the driver's seat... the gunner is one of my primary concerns. Protecting the vehicle, concentrating fire where it's needed, and making sure the gunner always has a clear line of fire... in that order. Then there are secondary concerns, some of which: stealthy, unpredictable (possibly surprise) approach, cover for infantry approach (usually smoke), cover for engineers doing repairs.

There's a lot more to being a good driver than just point and shoot... and it'd be nice if people playing support roles would get on the same page.

A gunner who fires off a couple rounds to let you know they're ready is one thing (and honestly it's a bit pointless since I'm watching and waiting for a gunner) or cutting down trees (though I'd argue attackers should be very careful about ever taking down the trees) but some knucklhead shooting at nothing all the way down the road is not thinking about winning. And I want people in my vehicle who are thinking about winning.

I play with randoms, I automatically assume everyone's an idiot.

Damn, Mikael Kalms wrote this about BC2 today:

At the time of writing, the backend is doing reasonably well and we are about to surpass 40k players online in less than an hour.

Pretty crazy (PC).

Drek

Calion82v said:
Is anyone else's stats messing up?
Same problem here. If I go to "leaderboards" it shows I have a little over 47K points, but on my stats page it only says 38K. Real kick in the balls since that was the bump that got me from level 4 to 5 and I also unlocked the red dot sight for assault.

I'm guessing this is server issues due to overloading from Vietnam or something, but having just started playing the game recently its frustrating as hell to feel like the progress I've made keeps slipping away.

moojito

Woo! Just jumped in for a quick game. It already looks a ton better than the 360 on 1024/medium. Can't wait to pick up a new gfx card. I got booted from the server with a message saying my punkbuster wasn't up to date, though :<

Do you have to keep updating that yourself, or something?

Huggers

Drek said:
I'm guessing this is server issues due to overloading from Vietnam or something, but having just started playing the game recently its frustrating as hell to feel like the progress I've made keeps slipping away.

I'm stuck at level zero, very annoying as my first few games have gone great.

Love the expansion, they did a great job of capturing Vietnam. I love the heightened damage, makes the game so much better.

moojito said:
Do you have to keep updating that yourself, or something?

Step 2, good sir:

GAF Bad Company 2/Vietnam Quickstart Guide!

1. Install Bad Company 2
  2. Download, install and update Punkbuster using PBSetup
  3. Download, install, and use the GAF Mumble server when playing Bad Company
  4. Download, install, and configure Bad Company options using Evil Mind's Configurator. NOTE: I think you need to launch the game prior to using this, so the config paths are built
  5. Join the Steam GAF Bad Company 2 group
  6. Read the GAF War Advices in the Bad Company 2 OT
  7. Start collecting ears for your necklace!

The Faceless Master said:
this goes for any vehicle! nothing i love more than me sneakily coming in real low to take out an AA in a chopper and the gunner just starts shooting trees... or when i'm trying to ride into the back of a base quietly with a jeep and then a gunner starts shooting up walls...

it's my concern about my surroundings that makes me notice the gunner is randomly shooting at nothing. i pay attention to where they're shooting too so i can see what kind of danger is there to see if i shoud angle the tank differently for defensive purposes or if i can give them a better shot. plus the 'firing a few rounds' thing ... i can see when a name appears in the tank!

This is where communication comes into play, because in most vehicles, I'm either shooting down foliage or firing at enemy cover, even if I don't see anyone. Particularly in choppers, because of the awesome splash damage. The moment I'm gunning in a chopper, I'm shooting.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mr. Snrub said:
The moment I'm gunning in a chopper, I'm shooting.

This. With all your "YOU HAVE INFINITE AMMO FIRE DAMN YOU" talk, Faceless, I'm surprised you don't want me firing at buildings and trees and anything I see.

TheSeks said:
This. With all your "YOU HAVE INFINITE AMMO FIRE DAMN YOU" talk, Faceless, I'm surprised you don't want me firing at buildings and trees and anything I see.
how often do you shoot when i'm flying really low sneakily approaching the base when the AA is up? just think about it...

TheSeks said:

The opposite is true, too. If I'm flying a chopper and the gunner is NOT peppering the enemy spawn, its insanely frustrating to me. Jump the fuck out and let my squad mate spawn on me to get the job done, don't waste a chopper.

todahawk

djgil said:
True dat. Sick of idiot scrubs blazing away just for the sake of getting their rocks off.

And there's a feeling out, in a ways, to being a side gunner. But if you're going to be someone dealing with vehicles, yo ass had BETTER be an engineer and you BETTER repair your squads sh*t...

First time in the gunboat last night I got 6 quick kills, had a great driver (wasn't a gaffer surprisingly)

TheSeks

Faceless should've bought Vietnam on the PS3 instead of the Sexbox 3fixme, IMO. More players when they're playing. I have no one to play it with. COME BACK TO ME, FACELESS. ;___;

Evolved1

There should be some indication in the "play w/ friends" menu whether people are playing Vietnam or Vanilla.

UFRA

Played a little Vietnam tonight with team PS3 GAF.

Was overall pretty cool. I'm addicted to the flamethrower, that's for sure. :D

The game froze on me once, and when I came back the team was full for a bit so I had to be an enemy to GAF for just the last 5 min of a round.

In that time period I got...

-Killed by Evolved who was a gunner on a boat...twice
-Killed by some other guy
-Sniped in the face by Seks
-Mortar striked

...all seconds after spawning.

:lol :lol GAF is so brutal.

Evolved1

UFRA said:
Played a little Vietnam tonight with team PS3 GAF.

Was overall pretty cool. I'm addicted to the flamethrower, that's for sure. :D

The game froze on me once, and when I came back the team was full for a bit so I had to be an enemy to GAF for just the last 5 min of a round.

In that time period I got...

-Killed by Evolved who was a gunner on a boat...twice
-Killed by some other guy
-Sniped in the face by Seks
-Mortar striked

...all seconds after spawning.

:lol :lol GAF is so brutal.

Well it's your birthday... so everyone chipped in.

UFRA

recklessmind said:
Well it's your birthday... so everyone chipped in.

That's true, it was nice to be the center of attention, even if that meant being in the center of your crosshairs. :lol :p

TheSeks

I wasn't even trying to snipe you, I was trying to get the bastard that sniped me off the boat near the beach. You just showed up and I lined up a headshot. :lol

UFRA

TheSeks said:
I wasn't even trying to snipe you, I was trying to get the bastard that sniped me off the boat near the beach. You just showed up and I lined up a headshot. :lol

It was a nice shot though!

Vantage Point Rush... seriously, who designed that shit??? the same guy as White Pass 1.0? he/she was like "well, they said i made White Pass too easy SO HOL DAT"

TheSeks said:
Faceless should've bought Vietnam on the PS3 instead of the Sexbox 3fixme, IMO. More players when they're playing. I have no one to play it with. COME BACK TO ME, FACELESS. ;___;
friday.

recklessmind said:
There should be some indication in the "play w/ friends" menu whether people are playing Vietnam or Vanilla.
yeah, there should!

Strike, Wes, and I just won at Vantage point attack it was awesome. We had 10 lives left on the first checkpoint when Strike and Wes went covert and took that checkpoint.

The last checkpoint Wes and I was covering each others back and took both M-coms. The last M-com I took out 7 guys within 30 seconds and mad dashed toward bravo and armed it and we had it from there.

Crakatak187 said:
Strike, Wes, and I just won at Vantage point attack it was awesome. We had 10 lives left on the first checkpoint when Strike and Wes went covert and took that checkpoint.

The last checkpoint Wes and I was covering each others back and took both M-coms. The last M-com I took out 7 guys within 30 seconds and mad dashed toward bravo and armed it and we had it from there.

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
WTFFFF11!

I hate randoms... And I hate Vantage/Spawncamp point. Worst combo ever. Ok, I'm grenade spamming the opposing team to hell (consisting of some gaffers). I repeatedly blow up Jtrizzy, I continue to laugh at his misfortune. Then my team (full of randoms) decides "Eff it, we'll let 'em win!" and we proceed to get nearly steamrolled by strike, Wes, Jtrizzy, and rest of their team. Victory was so close...

It was a fun match though! (aka memorycure)

Deadly

Is there alot of you guys still on PC? I just hopped back on yesterday, planning to buy BCV, and damn that was some satisfying fun :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Deadly said:
Is there alot of you guys still on PC? I just hopped back on yesterday, planning to buy BCV, and damn that was some satisfying fun :D
Yeah it's super easy finding full servers in your area.

We had two squads of gaffers playing last night and have gotten close to 3 before.

1stStrike

Banned
What system are you on? Most of us are PS3, but PC has a large community too. I think xbox are the only ones that tend to have smaller groups.

Sek really spazzed out on me because I missed a boat kill in the Temples. I've had the game since launch and that was the first time someone has sent me a message calling me an idiot. :lol

I'd like to think I more than made up for that by finishing in the top 3 the rest of the games. :)

1stStrike

Banned
dope4goldrope said:
Sek really spazzed out on me because I missed a boat kill in the Temples. I've had the game since launch and that was the first time someone has sent me a message calling me an idiot. :lol

I'd like to think I more than made up for that by finishing in the top 3 the rest of the games. :)

Don't worry, Seks spazzes out on everyone. We had it out a long time ago when like the first time he played with me he freaked out. I pretty much just ignore him whenever he's playing now :p

Massa

Felix Lighter said:
Hmmmm... I'm definitely a conquest fan. I never really got into Rush.

Rush with GAF is a different game than regular Rush though, you should give it a try.

When playing with randoms I always go with Conquest, where stupid team mates are far less annoying.

Massa said:
Rush with GAF is a different game than regular Rush though, you should give it a try.

When playing with randoms I always go with Conquest, where stupid team mates are far less annoying.
I may have to try that. I usually play with randoms in Rush which is usually frustrating, sometimes decent.

How close do you need to be to the flag btw?

Evolved1

betweenthewheels said:
I may have to try that. I usually play with randoms in Rush which is usually frustrating, sometimes decent.

How close do you need to be to the flag btw?

But a bad team with randoms in conquest will usually lead to spawn genocide. There a few things uglier in Battlefield than total spawn domination where they're actually parking their tanks in your spawn point!

1stStrike

Banned
I hate spawn genocide (on both sides of it). On the giving end - it's boring because they have nowhere to go, so you just shoot them whenever they pop their heads out - on the receiving side, you have no chance because you're completely trapped.

Also, playing with gaffers is a completely different experience then playing with randoms. It's like night and day.

Top Bottom