• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nabs: Yeah build 30, login screen is 29.1 I've checked the forums and there is others that seem to have issues with getting past the login screen like I'm having. :| It's really pissing me off as after banging my head to get a static IP on my Dynamic IP router I got supercade (which apparently P2P) able to run and play third strike with little to no issues. GGPO I've been banging my head against all week to even get to login before I can even think about playing third strike. D:

Mr. Nightman said:
luckily, only involves undoing two thumb screws, removing the side panel and swapping in a new one, without voiding any warranties of course haha

Thatsthejoke.jpg

Schmattakopf said:
That was fun except I was always on the wrong team, and I couldn't speak.

Why couldn't you speak.

And it was fun. I was always overwhelmed by the BF games. Good to know that i was able to overcome it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It's a shame saiga's don't really do great headshot damage. I tried it out as an assault recon and it's just not as good as the ns2000 although the quicker shooting speed is nice.

I noticed in the OP there's a suggestion for placing C4 as traps, How do you guys go about this? I tend to keep them for the tanks but most of the time i just get shot in the face trying :D

PC-BC2 GAF Mumble Meetup was a success tonight! Hope you all had fun! After 7 hours of BFBC2 straight... I can say I had lots of fun overall.

We got to play a couple fun rounds in a 500-ticket Conquest Server. Then we played some mixed Conquest/Rush/ We didn't get to try Squad Deathmatch or Vietnam, we'll leave that for next time if we are in the mood for it.

Thanks so all of you who showed up in mumble:

Conceptor (and his 2 friends)
Infected Cure
Lord_Audie
Lupurnican
Meteorain
MrMister
Mr. Snrub
Nabs
Sanjay
Schmattakopf
scogoth
Spl1nter
xClash

This was my best round:
bfbc2game2011-05-2820-2m6e.jpg

I even got a rank up:
bfbc2game2011-05-2820-mm36.jpg

Only on PC...
bfbc2game2011-05-2823-s8wh.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Haha lots of fun games tonight! Damn probably had too much to drink... I think I called one of our guys a dipshit for not shooting at the UAV (sorry I thought you were the smurf!) and just generally ran my mouth the whole time but we never lost!

Highlight was meeting a couple new people who were really cool and great teammates and also dream played for a bunch of matches, which is rare these days.

Had one match on arica defense where I killed 16+ vehicles with the tank... and then on attack I think I drove into 16+ mines of epic fail. Set some kind of dumbass record, must have. Dream is telling me I should be rolling V-elect so that's how bad it was. No one uses that perk, dream, it's crap. Unless you drive over mines all night.

Oh and I got hate mail... knifed three guys who just disarmed the crate and then I rearmed it: got a message "corny pussy bitch" or something like that. good times.

edit: Oh and here's a shout out to Cuban Legend for posting a screen with the F2000! Roll with 40mm shotgun and extra grenade/magnum specs... it's the widow maker class.

recklessmind said:
Had one match on arica defense where I killed 16+ vehicles with the tank... and then on attack I think I drove into 16+ mines of epic fail. Set some kind of dumbass record, must have. Dream is telling me I should be rolling V-elect so that's how bad it was. No one uses that perk, dream, it's crap. Unless you drive over mines all night.

You have no idea how many times I've saved your ass from being c4ed due to that perk + gunner in the past.

Not to mention, do you see me getting AT-mine-owned 16 times a game? *ZING*

Oh wait, you are right - V-elect is useless....if you weren't so blind to the mines *double zing*

~("~) ~("~)

I'll be gone again for a couple months starting monday to study hardcore for CPa again.

BDmonk is abu's friend, we've played with him a couple of times before. Enron is well Enron from gaf.

edit: leaving = stat time.
Nothing really changed at all

Evolved1

Dreamgazer said:
You have no idea how many times I've saved your ass from being c4ed due to that perk + gunner in the past.

Not to mention, do you see me getting AT-mine-owned 16 times a game? *ZING*

Oh wait, you are right - V-elect is useless....if you weren't so blind to the mines *double zing*

~("~) ~("~)

Saving my ass... well that's your job, gunner!

I'll be gone again for a couple months starting monday to study hardcore for CPa again.

BDmonk is abu's friend, we've played with him a couple of times before. Enron is well Enron from gaf.

edit: leaving = stat time.
Nothing really changed at all

I have a few more day to play before I'm gone for the summer. Why are we both awake right now?

Ugh. Won't post stats till I hit 50 but here's something:

ps3_Evolved1.png

Thanks gaf!!

The Faceless Master said:
V-ELECT is Amazing on White Pass, Oasis and Laguna Presa Conquest

I could never sacrifice warhead or smoke for something I should theoretically be able to do without a spec.

Meteorain

Cuban Legend said:
PC-BC2 GAF Mumble Meetup was a success tonight! Hope you all had fun! After 7 hours of BFBC2 straight... I can say I had lots of fun overall.

We got to play a couple fun rounds in a 500-ticket Conquest Server. Then we played some mixed Conquest/Rush/ We didn't get to try Squad Deathmatch or Vietnam, we'll leave that for next time if we are in the mood for it.

Thanks so all of you who showed up in mumble:

Conceptor (and his 2 friends)
Infected Cure
Lord_Audie
Lupurnican
Meteorain
MrMister
Mr. Snrub
Nabs
Sanjay
Schmattakopf
scogoth
Spl1nter
xClash

Sorry I didn't return after I said I would. I fell asleep :(

Had an exam that morning after having had only 4 hours of sleep. It was fun sniping you though Cuban, let's do it again. Believe me though, I did get that no-scope on you!

TheSeks

V-ELECT is Amazingly useless

Fixed. It's gotten me killed more often than it's been useful. Does not give me a proper heads up, so I don't ever use it. Fuck it.

Why would you use Warhead on those maps

You said:
Oasis and Laguna Presa Conquest

Because those are useful in cover. Does bigger splash damage on hitting cover, IIRC? In any case, you should be able to see the mines on those maps if you aren't preoccupied.

White Pass it's just as useless except on Conquest and even then you should be able to see the mines on white snow or black road if you aren't being multitasked.

It's a useless perk, again: It does not give a proper heads up (which is what it was advertised to do!) and generally will get you killed faster than you having V ARMOR and seeing the mines yourself would.

Nabs said:
Not sure what the problem is. My login screen also says 29.1. If I find anything I'll let you know.

Yeah, that's the damndest thing. I've gotten "Connection lost to the GGPO server" ONCE fucking around with the ports to forward. But with Supercade it's only taken me a day of fucking about getting a static IP on a dynamic IP router (which is easier than I thought) and port forwarding to get that to run just fine. GGPO still doesn't want to. *SMH* :|

TheSeks said:
Fixed. It's gotten me killed more often than it's been useful. Does not give me a proper heads up, so I don't ever use it. Fuck it.

Because those are useful in cover. Does bigger splash damage on hitting cover, IIRC? In any case, you should be able to see the mines on those maps if you aren't preoccupied.

White Pass it's just as useless except on Conquest and even then you should be able to see the mines on white snow or black road if you aren't being multitasked.

It's a useless perk, again: It does not give a proper heads up (which is what it was advertised to do!) and generally will get you killed faster than you having V ARMOR and seeing the mines yourself would.
you get to see people hiding in buildings near you. for free. the mines and c4 marking is a bonus.

TheSeks

you get to see people hiding in buildings near you. for free. the mines and c4 marking is a bonus.

If that bonus shows up. Anytime I've used V ELECT it's shown NOTHING around me to allow people to come in and C4 me easy.

meppi

Oh boy.
I joined the8bitgeorge and Musaad10 today and since they were on the opposite team and I still need 3 dogtags from friends, I decided to sneak up behind them.

Never did get them though, even though I was able to get 5 out of the 6 people that just sat there camping in the exact same spot, one after another.

I guess I pissed some kids off, since whenever I went in for a kill and missed, thus getting killed myself, I was being tbagged my 2 idiots for no apparent reason.

Especially Darkloner66 who even sent me a message saying "lol knife fail".
I replied with lol loser, what are you, 12?
Turns out he's actually 13! XD

Never got those dogtags I needed though, only a dozen others.

Evolved1

Dreamgazer said:
You mean dying 16 times? *triple zing*

I was exaggerating. It was really only 5-6 times... too many, still. But it was a fluke! :)

why would you use warhead or smoke on those maps?

Killing efficiency. I'm under the impression warhead makes your guns (main cannon and gunner's turret) more powerful. I like the increased damage and miss it when it's not there.

Also smoke... I love smoke in vehicles in almost any situation. The fact friendlies can still spot through the smoke is the deal-sealer. Very useful. (imo)

TheSeks said:
If that bonus shows up. Anytime I've used V ELECT it's shown NOTHING around me to allow people to come in and C4 me easy.

Now that I'm thinking about it... I do remember gunning for faceless on whitepass when he had V-Elect and it was pretty useful around A and B. Enemies where lighting up everywhere. Was pretty cool.

I just prefer deadlier weapons. Maybe a V-ELECT/Warhead combo, though....

recklessmind said:
Now that I'm thinking about it... I do remember gunning for faceless on whitepass when he had V-Elect and it was pretty useful around A and B. Enemies where lighting up everywhere. Was pretty cool.

I just prefer deadlier weapons. Maybe a V-ELECT/Warhead combo, though....
yeah, on those particular maps, it's like christmas. presents everywhere on the minimap!

Evolved1

yeah, on those particular maps, it's like christmas. presents everywhere on the minimap!

But the extra round or three it takes to drop each of those orange triangles is a high cost... maybe the difference between killing that assault before he detonates his C4 or getting smoked.

End of the day it's just a preference thing. Value in both, but I lean toward meaner weapons.

meppi

Was actually about to play a bit of Hot Pursuit, but I see rock and faceless are on so lets do this. :)

Mancunian should be here in about 2 hours as well.

meppi said:
Was actually about to play a bit of Hot Pursuit, but I see rock and faceless are on so lets do this. :)

I would like to join but i don't have any steam names.

Evolved1

meppi said:

I'll try and get on before you guys quit for the day. Family here atm. The annoying kind. :/

meppi

Jesus Christ, I didn't just have a Battlefield Moment™, I had a complete Battlefield Round™!

I was screaming at my screen: "I can't do it all by myself damnit!!!"
But in hindsight, it turns out that I could. ;P

BF1.jpg

BF2.jpg

This was on Oasis defense, so you can imagine how fun it was with a team that can't take down choppers, unless they are flying one themselves.
I took down 5 or 6 myself, one with a blindfire RPG7, 3 with the AA and one traced.
The last one with a tank I think.

Lost the count of how many tanks I wasted, but it was quite a lot. Several with a light tank of my own, lots with RPGs and even one with my repair tool. :)
We got pushed back to the second last set of Mcoms, at which point I changed my tactics to become an assault wookie, which turned out to be glorious.

At one point they were trying to run me over with a jeep, which I dodged by jumping so it only graced me. After that someone speeded towards me with a quad, so I shot him of of it with my Gol about a meter if front of me, while dodging him. lol

Such a crazyass round. Too bad none of you guys were there, but I have a feeling if you were that the server would have been empty before they could take the 1st set. ;)

recklessmind said:
I'll try and get on before you guys quit for the day. Family here atm. The annoying kind. :/
No problem. I'm just taking little break before Mancunian texts me, which I think will be in 30 min or so.
Need to come down a bit after this last game. ;)

Yasae

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
The Sound engine the game uses is all run in software on the CPU and it's proprietary, as they couldn't figure out a way to get it to run in line with hardware soundcards before release. They explained this briefly in an old BFBC2 Blog. Rest assured that they have fixed that performance hole with BF3.
Okay. I bet it's proprietary because of the coding that goes into the wartapes option, not the meat and potatoes of the sound engine. I also think it's a huge tradeoff in performance for sound that would be great running off hardware all its own. Call me crazy. But no, they had to write code for all that sidechain compression.

Yasae said:
Okay. I bet it's proprietary because of the coding that goes into the wartapes option, not the meat and potatoes of the sound engine. I also think it's a huge tradeoff in performance for sound that would be great running off hardware all its own. Call me crazy. But no, they had to write code for all that sidechain compression.
Frostbite Engine for BC1 and BC2 had a proprietary dynamic range sound mixer. For the PC release of BC2 it that had to run on software (ie all on the CPU) as they did not have time to code it to work on sound card hardware, due to the engine's console origins.

Evolved1

the x-files music was great... haha cracked me up. But the knife warp made me :(

Yasae

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
Frostbite Engine for BC1 and BC2 had a proprietary dynamic range sound mixer that had so run on software (ie all on the CPU) as they did not have time to code it to work on sound card hardware, due to the engine's console origins.
That would be wartapes. The basic sound doesn't seem to have anything of the sort, in fact the dynamic range is rather awkward because it's obvious they built the audio around wartapes (you can't have your cake and eat it too, basically.) Normally you have a lot of automation rendered down in a cutscene, but they wanted that element in-game, so they wrote code which does some of it automatically.

Wartapes lowers dynamic range quite a bit and, going from a gain-matched comparison with the standard audio, it ruins the impact of weapons when lots of sounds are going on at once. We just don't think it does because it's louder. A pretty simple trick, really.

TheSeks

endlessflood said:
I hoep they sort this crap out for BF3.

They just need better knife detection. Drop the lunge, just let me press a button for the slash and get back to the gun automatically.
In before Faceless asks for the return of triple knife/holding the knife out. Which while nice... is clunky on consoles.

Yasae said:
That would be wartapes. The basic sound doesn't seem to have anything of the sort, in fact the dynamic range is rather awkward because it's obvious they built the audio around wartapes (you can't have your cake and eat it too, basically.) Normally you have a lot of automation rendered down in a cutscene, but they wanted that element in-game, so they wrote code which does some of it automatically.

Wartapes lowers dynamic range quite a bit and, going from a gain-matched comparison with the standard audio, it ruins the impact of weapons when lots of sounds are going on at once. We just don't think it does because it's louder. A pretty simple trick, really.
No it's nothing to do with wartapes, its just a filter of the sound mixer in BC2.

The Dynamic Range features that are the core of the sound engine were chronicled back when BC1 was being teased. When they were doing live demos and i think there was even a ViDoc about it for Sound Design.

But I do remember reading that they fixed the performance hogging side-effects of the Sound Engine in Frostbite 2.

TheSeks said:
Just like recon motion sensors, there are rare occasions when V-ELECT doesn't seem to pick everyone up - I don't know if that's a server-side problem or just a laggy player/s.

In general though V-ELECT has become my preferred vehicle spec as a driver on most maps, especially in conjunction with light tanks. It gives you perfect 360 degree vision... and it's x-ray vision to boot. It helps to have a good engineer as your gunner to help you finish infantry, but V-ELECT means that it becomes impossible to hide from you, very difficult to C4 you and very tricky to get you with a mine or C4 laid on the ground. Those things are your biggest concerns on a lot of maps.

V-ELECT is also great because it works with quad bikes too: pick a non-recon class and drive your quad bike into an area. Not only can you see mines and C4 now, but also any enemies in the vicinity. If you jump off to do something and decide later that it would be great to have a motion sensor... just hop back on the bike and bam, instant motion sensor.

TheSeks

endlessflood said:
Just like recon motion sensors, there are rare occasions when V-ELECT doesn't seem to pick everyone up - I don't know if that's a server-side problem or just a laggy player/s.

In general though V-ELECT has become my preferred vehicle spec as a driver on most maps, especially in conjunction with light tanks. It gives you perfect 360 degree vision... and it's x-ray vision to boot. It helps to have a good engineer as your gunner to help you finish infantry, but V-ELECT means that it becomes impossible to hide from you, very difficult to C4 you and very tricky to get you with a mine or C4 laid on the ground. Those things are your biggest concerns on a lot of maps.

V-ELECT is also great because it works with quad bikes too: pick a non-recon class and drive your quad bike into an area. Not only can you see mines and C4 now, but also any enemies in the vicinity. If you jump off to do something and decide later that it would be great to have a motion sensor... just hop back on the bike and bam, instant motion sensor.

Yes, yes, I know all that. But: IT DOESN'T FUCKING WORK!

10/10 of the time I've used it on jetskis has allowed people to sneak up and C4 me. Same with ATVs or the Bradley or... It's useless. It doesn't work. V WARHEAD/ARMOR works. Use them. Blow up cover, which you should be doing in the first damn place and look for mines. Crossing water? FIRE A TANK SHELL at the water and generally you'll blow up mines that were hidden.

TheSeks said:
Yes, yes, I know all that. But: IT DOESN'T FUCKING WORK!

10/10 of the time I've used it on jetskis has allowed people to sneak up and C4 me. Same with ATVs or the Bradley or... It's useless. It doesn't work. V WARHEAD/ARMOR works. Use them. Blow up cover, which you should be doing in the first damn place and look for mines. Crossing water? FIRE A TANK SHELL at the water and generally you'll blow up mines that were hidden.
Trust me, it works.

TheSeks

endlessflood said:
Trust me, it works.

It doesn't for me to the point of me swearing it off. I rather have a perk that works than one that's broken/doesn't work, IMO.

Besides, I play the vehicles in a total dick fashion. I move up slowly and from a distance. I'm very paranoid. I attempt to keep attackers and people from being able to C4 me. Doesn't help all the time, but meh.

TheSeks said:
It doesn't for me to the point of me swearing it off. I rather have a perk that works than one that's broken/doesn't work, IMO.

Besides, I play the vehicles in a total dick fashion. I move up slowly and from a distance. I'm very paranoid. I attempt to keep attackers and people from being able to C4 me. Doesn't help all the time, but meh.

Totally works for me, and I have saved off many people's life because of it...

to each his own

Oreoleo

Schmattakopf said:
The other one mentioned was older and has more members. I joined both.

I don't know who the admin of that other group is though, whereas Hawkian was already on my Steam friends list.

I'm talking to him right now, he just added Cuban Legend, you and me to the admin list. If there's anyone else that plays a ton that would like to be added I'm sure we can work it out.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Fuck double Heli circle strafe spawn camping in this game.

Once they take your AA down you're pretty much fucked. You'll be hard pressed to take them down with the tanks. Basically comes down to getting a lucky Carl Gustav shot. (Which is bullshit)

Top Bottom