• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Tomat said:
Fuck double Heli circle strafe spawn camping in this game.

Once they take your AA down you're pretty much fucked. You'll be hard pressed to take them down with the tanks. Basically comes down to getting a lucky Carl Gustav shot. (Which is bullshit)
Atacama Conquest and Heavy Metal should each have one AA gun per spawn/flag. Or, better yet, two AA guns in each spawn. Or make the enemy spawn out of bounds.

TheSeks said:
They just need better knife detection. Drop the lunge, just let me press a button for the slash and get back to the gun automatically.
In before Faceless asks for the return of triple knife/holding the knife out. Which while nice... is clunky on consoles.
BC1 knife was best EVAAAAAAAA

endlessflood said:
V-ELECT is also great because it works with quad bikes too: pick a non-recon class and drive your quad bike into an area. Not only can you see mines and C4 now, but also any enemies in the vicinity. If you jump off to do something and decide later that it would be great to have a motion sensor... just hop back on the bike and bam, instant motion sensor.
yeah, sitting on a Quad in Garage of A of Arica CQ... WALLHAX!!!

Orellio said:
I don't know who the admin of that other group is though, whereas Hawkian was already on my Steam friends list.

I'm talking to him right now, he just added Cuban Legend, you and me to the admin list. If there's anyone else that plays a ton that would like to be added I'm sure we can work it out.
Sweet, thanks. Now i wonder if the other group with 60 or so members is a PC group or a console group? Stupid Question to wonder about, I know, so I added the admin to find out if he can try to get his member/admin list updated.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cuban Legend said:
Sweet, thanks. Now i wonder if the other group with 60 or so members is a PC group or a console group? Stupid Question to wonder about, I know, so I added the admin to find out if he can try to get his member/admin list updated.

>Stream
>Consolegroup
>Implying consoles use Steam and not Google docs for lists.

laughingelfman.jpg

Yasae

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
No it's nothing to do with wartapes, its just a filter of the sound mixer in BC2.

The Dynamic Range features that are the core of the sound engine were chronicled back when BC1 was being teased. When they were doing live demos and i think there was even a ViDoc about it for Sound Design.

But I do remember reading that they fixed the performance hogging side-effects of the Sound Engine in Frostbite 2.
Yeah but filters are something any sound engine can do, they're not proprietary at all. They must have an insane amount of processing going on if so. Either way, you can't hear it.

It's just disappointing that the game is unplayable going by even the minimum specs required for it. That's plain sloppy.

Just think about the performance headroom they have now that the Sound Engine has been PC optimised.

It's been coded to work with 64 players on a single server, which means literally at LEAST twice as many sound sources and channels being used.

Think about that coupled with the destructibility factor: bigger maps means more destructibility , and it's also more detailed/advanced destructibility than in BC2.

DICE are PC optimization gods (when you give them a few years).

Orellio said:
I don't know who the admin of that other group is though, whereas Hawkian was already on my Steam friends list.

I'm talking to him right now, he just added Cuban Legend, you and me to the admin list. If there's anyone else that plays a ton that would like to be added I'm sure we can work it out.
Oh, cool beans. It would be good if we could know who's active and let the other group know that we'll be active.

TheSeks

Stallion Free said:
Like so in a few years BC2 will be optimized?

And how come BF2142 was just as poorly optimized as BF2?

DICE don't care about PC people. ;)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
endlessflood said:
Atacama Conquest and Heavy Metal should each have one AA gun per spawn/flag. Or, better yet, two AA guns in each spawn. Or make the enemy spawn out of bounds.

I don't know of a real way to deal with that crap at the moment. I'm trying to get good with the AT4, but my depth perception with it sucks, I can never tell whether the rocket is in front of the chopper or if it has already passed it.

Tomat said:
I don't know of a real way to deal with that crap at the moment. I'm trying to get good with the AT4, but my depth perception with it sucks, I can never tell whether the rocket is in front of the chopper or if it has already passed it.
That's why it would be nice to have 3D. Just gotta get me a 3D TV.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've said a million time that allowing choppers to take some small arms damage would immediately fix the circle staffing issue. Another gaffer mentioned certain calibre rounds doing damage to choppers might be the solution.

Either way... it's completely fucking fixable. But DICE having already collected their money doesn't support BC2 at all anymore so it'll never be fixed.

They Huey thing on consoles is just ridiculous. And demonstrates their indifference toward the current community. Sorry, it's true.

TheSeks

recklessmind said:
They Huey thing on consoles is just ridiculous. And demonstrates their indifference toward the current community. Sorry, it's true.

I got my 50 kills trophy in that tincan. Cry more, n00b. :p

Evolved1

TheSeks said:

And if it was the same damage on consoles and PC you might have some kind of point... but it's clearly a bug on consoles they will not fix.

And 50 kills in the tincan isn't hard if you play enough. Especially when you consider most lvl 50 circle strafers in attack choppers probably get 50 kills per round.

There has to be some kind of median, is all I'm saying.

TheSeks

recklessmind said:
Especially when you consider most lvl 50 circle strafers in attack choppers probably get 50 kills per round.

Not in Vietnam. See a chopper rising? AK-47 Magnum Ammo + 1-2 clips = dead chopper.

I'm just teasing you anyway. I'm extremely bitter when it comes to choppers and the "ace" pilots running rings around teams that have no viable counter other than organizing (thereby giving the attackers and EVEN EASIER TIME) themselves to go against the choppers with a bullet travel M95 (AKA: not reliable) or getting a tracer locked on (not reliable given smoke) and even if you do clip them, they'll either go back and repair or wait the two minutes for a respawn and come back.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
Not in Vietnam.

I was actually referring to pilots in vanilla. And my point is that there must be some middle ground between the impervious vanilla choppers and the tin can Vietnam chopper.

That is common sense. It leads me to this conclusion: Dice either doesn't care enough to change it, or doesn't realize it'd improve the game. I hope it's the former. Because not acknowledging they've made a mistake only means they'll repeat it in BF3. Not a great thought when you consider they'll be adding even more air vehicles.

recklessmind said:
I've said a million time that allowing choppers to take some small arms damage would immediately fix the circle staffing issue. Another gaffer mentioned certain calibre rounds doing damage to choppers might be the solution.
Mounted machine guns and .50 cal tank guns work great.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
bean breath said:

Work great while they're still around. Doesn't take long for a chopper to remedy that problem.

Single chopper strafers can usually be deal with, but it's the double that is ridiculous. (The single still sucks though)

Does DICE usually give their games this kind of treatment? I don't think they're a shit company or anything, and I still think BC2 is the best multiplayer experience this generation, but damn, a little help from them would be nice.

Evolved1

bean breath said:

.50 cal tank gun usually can't get an angle on a decent pilot... they keep it high enough, you can't hit them unless the tank pilot parks on a decline. Mounted machine guns are pretty rare on maps with attack choppers, though they are very good against the blackhawk. Of course being on a turret is asking to be sniped by some pussy never-leave-their-base recon.

TheSeks

.50 cal that isn't on attack chopper maps...

Um... Port Valadez has them. Atacama has them (though like you said, not a good angle and IIRC those are grenade launcher types), Oasis has them, but they're grenade launchers...

So that's 3/4 of the maps?

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
.50 cal that isn't on attack chopper maps...

Um... Port Valadez has them. Atacama has them (though like you said, not a good angle and IIRC those are grenade launcher types), Oasis has them, but they're grenade launchers...

So that's 3/4 of the maps?

No dude I was saying that the emplacement weapons (specifically, machine guns) are rare on maps with attack choppers. Rarely do you get an opportunity to fire on an AC with an emplacement weapon. Though they are quite common on infantry maps, and maps with a Blackhawk.

TheSeks

They're not rare. It's just hard to get a bead on them given the attack angle lock. They are on the maps, AFAIK. You can hit the Apache on third set Port Valadez with the defenders own mounted guns from the construction site and the <D 2.0> building near A. So that's one map.

The other two I'm not too sure if they have machine guns or just the Chinese Grenade Launcher mounted gun.

The AA guns are pretty good against circle straffers. The problem is, once the AA gun goes down you're fucked. I agree, if heli's took damage from small arms fire, they would be pretty balanced then.

Yeah, I had the first set of Oasis in mind. Usually if someone from our party gets on the AA gun right at the start it's enough for most pilots. If they're working in tandem with the UAV it's a little tougher but as long as we spot it before it takes out the AA we're still good. In the event that the AA gets taken out there's two mounted machine guns w/ shields and two tanks, it's not ideal, but it forces the pilot to alter his flight pattern to avoid the .50 cals.

Two be honest it's been awhile since i've faced a good pilot/gunner combo and it's usually because I just ignore them. Seriously, just take cover and hide somewhere within line-of-sight of a crate and your good.

People circle-strafing choppers doesn't bother nearly as much as when my entire team falls into their spell. It's like they hypnotize everyone into thinking priority #1 is taking out the chopper instead of, you know, protecting the crates. And what does it get you? Two tickets? And even that's not guaranteed if they bail out. Two less troops on the ground that can't arm crates sounds pretty good to me.

"But they keep killing me!! I can't even take 5 steps!!!"

HIDE you dumbshit. Use smoke. Move from cover to cover. Where the hell are you trying to go anyway? far away from our base and our crates, right? Well good, I'm glad you're dead.

One to two, at most three people should try to take the chopper out. Anymore and the risk/reward ratio is completely in their favor.

TheSeks

computers putin' said:
The AA guns are pretty good against circle straffers. The problem is, once the AA gun goes down you're fucked. I agree, if heli's took damage from small arms fire, they would be pretty balanced then.

We're talking AA options. Not the AA guns themselves, which I have to agree needs to have 1-2 more of on a base to stop base rape.

Yasae

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
Just think about the performance headroom they have now that the Sound Engine has been PC optimised.

It's been coded to work with 64 players on a single server, which means literally at LEAST twice as many sound sources and channels being used.

Think about that coupled with the destructibility factor: bigger maps means more destructibility , and it's also more detailed/advanced destructibility than in BC2.

DICE are PC optimization gods (when you give them a few years).
With that many simultaneous effects going off, it wouldn't be unusual to get voices dropping out on hardware. But that goes back to proper resource budgeting; it's not efficient work in the slightest. If PC had been the lead platform for BC2 (a man can dream,) I'm not sure anyone would have suffered...

I imagine you're right and they've worked through at least some of these problems with the next iteration.

TheSeks

Stallion Free said:
I think 8x seems to be the sweet spot.

:lol I dunno about that, is it as bad on PC with circle strafing as it on consoles?

TheSeks said:
:lol I dunno about that, is it as bad on PC with circle strafing as it on consoles?
No, the console choppers have horribly OPed handling, PC choppers are turtles compared to the console variant.

Evolved1

bean breath said:
Yeah, I had the first set of Oasis in mind. Usually if someone from our party gets on the AA gun right at the start it's enough for most pilots. If they're working in tandem with the UAV it's a little tougher but as long as we spot it before it takes out the AA we're still good. In the event that the AA gets taken out there's two mounted machine guns w/ shields and two tanks, it's not ideal, but it forces the pilot to alter his flight pattern to avoid the .50 cals.

Two be honest it's been awhile since i've faced a good pilot/gunner combo and it's usually because I just ignore them. Seriously, just take cover and hide somewhere within line-of-sight of a crate and your good.

People circle-strafing choppers doesn't bother nearly as much as when my entire team falls into their spell. It's like they hypnotize everyone into thinking priority #1 is taking out the chopper instead of, you know, protecting the crates. And what does it get you? Two tickets? And even that's not guaranteed if they bail out. Two less troops on the ground that can't arm crates sounds pretty good to me.

HIDE you dumbshit. Use smoke. Move from cover to cover. Where the hell are you trying to go anyway? far away from our base and our crates, right? Well good, I'm glad you're dead.

One to two, at most three people should try to take the chopper out. Anymore and the risk/reward ratio is completely in their favor.

I think this is a good post. Choppers are bothersome to me because I generally pilot tanks... and once the AA goes down, I'm the next target. And the weird angle restriction on the main cannon and .50 cal makes it pretty much impossible for me to defend myself. It's annoying. They have the chopper on Oasis, but also have two abrams, quads, UAV, Hummers, etc. It's a lot of annoying shit to deal with when you aren't in a tank and can't leave cover because of chopper rape.

But I get your point. And generally agree.

Cuban Legend said:
No, the console choppers have horribly OPed handling, PC choppers are turtles compared to the console variant.

What's the meaning of "OPed"?

TheSeks

Cuban Legend said:

I'm not talking movement. Is PC just as screwed as consoles if the AA gun is taken down since the AA options are very few and slim if the pilot knows what they're doing?

>>JUST IGNORE THEM!<<

That's hard. Anyone worth their salt is going to go:

1) AA down? No, TAKE IT DOWN! Someone in it? Yes, TAKE IT DOWN!
2) Move around to avoid tracers if possible. Take out anyone lit up/tracer showing on your screen.
3) Gunner: Cover cover cover taken out if not taken out by teammates already. Spray anyone not your teammates down on the ground.
4) Timer: AA respawned? Two volleys at it will kill it.
5) Return to step 2.

bean breath said:

Well said.

Yasae

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
Then again, there are flight sticks.... And people who spend inordinate amounts of time flying choppers with the KB+M.

Have they changed the chopper's countermeasures recently? Seems like the game I was in last week, when I managed to get a dart on the bastard it stayed put. They used to be 100% invincible to this tactic, which made no sense at all. It made the helis unstoppable spawn killing machines on certain maps, and of course that made the game boring as fuck. I haven't seen it much recently, though.

TheSeks

Yasae said:
Have they changed the chopper's countermeasures recently? Seems like the game I was in last week, when I managed to get a dart on the bastard it stayed put. They used to be 100% invincible to this tactic, which made no sense at all.

Someone didn't equip V SMOKE. That's why it's "100% invincible" most of the time, because most pilots will equip smoke to get the tracer off them. Which is very infuriating for you on the ground, I'm sure.

Evolved1

Yasae said:
Then again, there are flight sticks.... And people who spend inordinate amounts of time flying choppers with the KB+M.

Have they changed the chopper's countermeasures recently? Seems like the game I was in last week, when I managed to get a dart on the bastard it stayed put. They used to be 100% invincible to this tactic, which made no sense at all. It made the helis unstoppable spawn killing machines on certain maps, and of course that made the game boring as fuck. I haven't seen it much recently, though.

Well I can't speak for PC... but on consoles a tracer can be removed by any kind of smoke. In choppers, (or tanks) the pilot can equip smoke as a countermeasure and in my experience, it's about 90% effective to remover tracers and missile locks. But every now and then someone will still land an RPG even after I popped smoke/flares. It's rare though.

40mm smoke grenades will also remove tracers on vehicles, but that requires a friendly assault to physically hit your vehicle with a smoke grenade. I've had limited success driving through clouds of friendly smoke to remove tracers.

edit: NEW USERNAME WENT THROUGH!!

TheSeks

They land the RPG if they already locked on. I dunno if it's a fluke, but if you don't smoke as soon as you see "LOCK ON!" starting to flash, you're fucked if you are "LOCK ON!"/orange boxed and they fire as soon as it's orange boxed.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
They land the RPG if they already locked on. I dunno if it's a fluke, but if you don't smoke as soon as you see "LOCK ON!" starting to flash, you're fucked if you are "LOCK ON!"/orange boxed and they fire as soon as it's orange boxed.

That could be it... sometimes I'm a little lazy to pop the flares because I can occasionally break the lock without them. I'm probably just being too slow on the draw.

Haven't played this since they released the Vietnam pack so I figured I'd dive back in for a bit and see what I've been missing.

My second Vietnam match and I'm getting killed again and again by a PT boat sailing under the map. 360 version BTW.

*ejects disk*

*tosses disk back in gaming bin*

bean breath said:

I guess it depends on who the pilot is. I play regularly against a guy who knows what he's doing and if you don't get him down, all of your vehicles will be destroyed inside of about 30 seconds and then everyone standing in the open will die shortly after that. Once he's killed everybody the enemy have no trouble arming the M-COMs, and then good luck trying to disarm them while being smashed by rockets and guns from the attack chopper.

endlessflood said:
I guess it depends on who the pilot is. I play regularly against a guy who knows what he's doing and if you don't get him down, all of your vehicles will be destroyed inside of about 30 seconds and then everyone standing in the open will die shortly after that. Once he's killed everybody the enemy have no trouble arming the M-COMs, and then good luck trying to disarm them while being smashed by rockets and guns from the attack chopper.
When in doubt, use smoke; 'cause why the hell not?

Personally, I can barely fly an attack chopper, let alone kill something, so if I was in a game with someone who is able to do the things you describe, all I could do is put my hands up and say "go on, take your points, man. You've earned them."

Chalk that set up as a wash and hope I can get on the AA at the next set before he gets to it.

I'm trying to remember if I've been in a game like that. The only thing I can think of are games that I joined in progress, when the base looks like the surface of the moon from the constant shelling.

I think I'll load up a quick Oasis game, I'm suddenly wanting to get destroyed by attack choppers.

TheSeks

NullPointer said:
Haven't played this since they released the Vietnam pack so I figured I'd dive back in for a bit and see what I've been missing.

My second Vietnam match and I'm getting killed again and again by a PT boat sailing under the map. 360 version BTW.

*ejects disk*

*tosses disk back in gaming bin*

lol wut? Wasn't that fixed?

When in doubt, use smoke; 'cause why the hell not?

Because:

(Smoke spotted)
"throws volleys into the middle of the smoke*
HelicopterDouche <AH-60> DumbassSmoker#1
HelicopterDouche <AH-60> DumbassSmoker#2

It may help in confusion, but it won't stop them if they see you enter and exit the smoke and the smoke just gives you maybe 1-2 seconds from their volley spread.

Once the AA is taken down by an "ace pilot." It's pretty much over. Good fucking luck ever getting the AA back in that case. And hiding won't help you win games. PS3 GAF has had to fight and die constantly with tanks on Oasis just to hold the first set and hope to win against helicopter douches (that, once we've won, quit in a fit of rage and fear they'll lose!). It's not fun.

bean breath said:
Personally, I can barely fly an attack chopper, let alone kill something, so if I was in a game with someone who is able to do the things you describe, all I could do is put my hands up and say "go on, take your points, man. You've earned them."
I guess that's where it's tricky: great players should be rewarded for their skill. However Battlefield in general is supposed to be about teamwork: what's the point of being the best team, if a single good played on the other team can always get his side victory? There needs to be a counter to the attack choppers that emphasises teamwork. As it is, it doesn't matter how well co-ordinated or skilful your team is against a good pilot, you're still going to get your arse handed to you.

As Seks says, it just isn't fun. When I play against that guy I spend the entire game on an AA and with one or two teammates standing next to me constantly repairing. It's about as fun as watching paint dry and runs contrary to everything that DICE are trying to achieve with these games.

TheSeks said:
i got my 50 in like 2 days... V-WARHEAD!!!

bean breath said:

amen!

Evolved1 said:
That could be it... sometimes I'm a little lazy to pop the flares because I can occasionally break the lock without them. I'm probably just being too slow on the draw.
yeah, that's it. once the rocket is fired, you're done, even if you pop smoke.

Evolved1

The Faceless Master said:
yeah, that's it. once the rocket is fired, you're done, even if you pop smoke.

That's kind of counterintuitive if you think about how flares actually work
in the movies

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
PS3 GAF has had to fight and die constantly with tanks on Oasis just to hold the first set and hope to win against helicopter douches (that, once we've won, quit in a fit of rage and fear they'll lose!). It's not fun.

These have been some of our greatest triumphs. Having two engineers repairing the AA as it takes volleys from the chopper. At least one of them usually dieing in the process. Sometimes losing the AA. Finally get the fucking thing on the ground.

"Ok guys... catch your breath and clean up the scrubs, 'cause the bird will be back in 90 seconds."

Winning those games, those grinds, and watching the chopper-only players flee the server is quite rewarding. I still think it's total bullshit though.

TheSeks

Evolved1 said:
I still think it's total bullshit though.

They may be rewarding, but sitting in a collapsed building going "SURPRISE ASSHOLES! *AN-94*" while the rest of you go out there to die
to protect my KDR!
against the helicopter isn't fun.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
They may be rewarding, but sitting in a collapsed building going "SURPRISE ASSHOLES! *AN-94*" while the rest of you go out there to die
to protect my KDR!
against the helicopter isn't fun.

Those matches in particular are pretty mean to KDR... which is why it's such a useless stat in Battlefield. Because even with negative KDR we still win those games. In fact, those are some of the hardest games to win, and demonstrate how good of a team we can be. KDR does not convey this, ever. I consider myself a good player... part of what makes me a good player is the willingness to sacrifice a ticket(s) to achieve some objective. Whether it be to shied someone disarming/arming a crate, charging in to arm when it looks like the team is struggling to do it, or whatever... it all costs KDR. Worthless battlefield stat.

Top Bottom