• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
aaannnddd... the ps3 is down again... good thing i don't keep the disk in the drive anymore when i'm not playing. but still, i need my free games from when the PSN was down, even if i couldn't use it!

Shoot Killthee a PM and see if he'll help you out. He offered to help me out and I got my PS3-store-only stuff from the Welcome Back (besides themes, anyway) off him. *thumbs up*

I gotta see if him or jvm will help me get the PS Home (yes, yes, shut up) stuff when the store settles down a bit. :/

Not that my password is secure anyway even if they take my account for a ride. D:

TheSeks said:
I give it a week before it perma-dies.
well, i got my Welvome Back packages already.

US: Stardust and Wipeout
UK: LBP and Ratchet
India: Dead Nation and inFAMOUS

what's up with PSP?
my US acct let me pick PSP games, but my UK didn't...
don't tell me i have to dust off my PSP to get MNR and Pursuit Force...

TheSeks

what's up with PSP?
my US acct let me pick PSP games, but my UK didn't...
don't tell me i have to dust off my PSP to get MNR and Pursuit Force...

I had all the games they were offereing on PS3, so I just had Killthee get me Infamous (didn't own, rented) and LBP1 (wanted it as a DD). Unless there's some other stuff beyond that in the other regions (that isn't like the Last Guy [which I own], Dead Nation, Wipeout+Fury, SSDHD everything besides Impact mode...), I'm not asssed about the PS3 regions.

PSP I want to get Killzone Liberation and Pursuit Force off my UK account, but it isn't working on MediaGo. It isn't working on your PS3 either? I guess the UK store is being hammered or fucked up right now. Good to know. >_< I guess I'll try later today/tonight to see if I can get in.

TheSeks

yeah, i own LBP already, but hey, no disk!

It's a 5 gig trade off with like 1-2 gigs extra for the outfits+MGS/PotC content though. :/ Would be nice to have it boot off the harddrive though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Since I took a break from this game, I have completely forgotten how to use the sniper rifles properly. Getting these last 9 marksman headshots is going to take a little while...

CatPee

To get the UK PSP games, you guys need to do it via the PSP itself.

OT: Had some really fun/frustrating games with rockscar, 8bitgeorge, and karuit(?) today.

i love how our crappy attacking team waits until 2 tickets left to actually get past the 2nd set of Harvest Day and then when i'm like .... FINALLY!!! i get disconnected.

xclaw

Had some fun this morning practicing the auto spas-12.... where you swap to pistol and back to cancel the reload animation to keep on firing... It works surprisingly although I'm still dying a lot trying to get the thumb flow right on the ol ps3 controller to make it work.

i love how our crappy attacking team waits until 2 tickets left to actually get past the 2nd set of Harvest Day and then when i'm like .... FINALLY!!! i get disconnected.
The game could be made slightly more realistic if every time you died, you were booted to the dashboard. That would get me to start caring about my kd/r.

TheSeks

CatPee said:
To get the UK PSP games, you guys need to do it via the PSP itself.

Yeah, I solved the issue. Sucks you have to do that. Hopefully they'll send me the UK 10 free game code this week
even though I don't have a Go
since they let me buy and download the theme. *tee-hee*

Faceless said:
>>Disconnected<<

EA loves to troll us in those moments, don't they?

meppi

Never got that far myself as I had been playing for about 2 hours already and really needed a break.
But I fully understand what you're saying.
The overall team was pretty useless.
Had some good games, but some very frustrating ones as well.
Mostly playing with rockscar alone, and at least thanks to him we were able to keep our heads above the water at times. Al least until you joined.
But it's so frustrating to see how it's just our squad of 2, 3 or 4 people from here has to do all the heavy lifting by ourselves the majority of the time, while the randoms hardly even show up on the map unless it's to sit back and snipe from afar or like this one guy I jumped into a tank with on Oasis defense:

He drives up to the enemy base. I'm thinking what the hell is he doing? I'm not gonna be able to shoot at the chopper from this close when he lifts off, and there's already a UAV on top of us that I can't reach because he continues to drive to their camp.
It's only when he drives his tank into the dark part of that map and the OB countdown starts that he realizes that this isn't a very good tactic.
So he puts it in reverse.
The chopper comes at us, fires a volley and doesn't even hit us.
What does he do? he panics and drives his tank into the riverbed, wedging it in a whole so he can't move forward or backwards anymore.

With teammates like that you don't even need to have anyone on the opposing team to lose a round. :-/

meppi said:
Never got that far myself as I had been playing for about 2 hours already and really needed a break.
But I fully understand what you're saying.
The overall team was pretty useless.
Had some good games, but some very frustrating ones as well.
Mostly playing with rockscar alone, and at least thanks to him we were able to keep our heads above the water at times. Al least until you joined.
But it's so frustrating to see how it's just our squad of 2, 3 or 4 people from here has to do all the heavy lifting by ourselves the majority of the time, while the randoms hardly even show up on the map unless it's to sit back and snipe from afar or like this one guy I jumped into a tank with on Oasis defense:

He drives up to the enemy base. I'm thinking what the hell is he doing? I'm not gonna be able to shoot at the chopper from this close when he lifts off, and there's already a UAV on top of us that I can't reach because he continues to drive to their camp.
It's only when he drives his tank into the dark part of that map and the OB countdown starts that he realizes that this isn't a very good tactic.
So he puts it in reverse.
The chopper comes at us, fires a volley and doesn't even hit us.
What does he do? he panics and drives his tank into the riverbed, wedging it in a whole so he can't move forward or backwards anymore.

With teammates like that you don't even need to have anyone on the opposing team to lose a round. :-/
i love how i got reconnected in that game and somehow still got like 3rd in score. that team was so useless, it was a miracle that we only lost like twice. what was shocking was winning on White Pass defense.

GODDAMMIT!

Whoever thought it was a good idea for enemies with 0% health to kill you and still be running around should be stoned to death

I FUCKING HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS! IF THE ASSHOLE'S HEALTH IS AT ZERO PERCENT, JUST GIVE ME THE FUCKING KILL!!

meppi

i love how i got reconnected in that game and somehow still got like 3rd in score. that team was so useless, it was a miracle that we only lost like twice. what was shocking was winning on White Pass defense.

That White Pass defense was crazy as hell. :)
Rock was holding down the back of the last crate, as were you.
So I didn't want to sit there next to him and wait for the opposing team to just swarm us since as were stationary, so I went into kamikaze mode and continued to try and get behind enemy lines to create chaos and try to distract them enough so they couldn't all focus on taking you guys out.
So fun when you do this and you realize there's a sniper in a certain far away house, waiting for people to pop out and defend that last crate.
Then the kill-cam turns on and you see 2 more wookies sitting right next to him.
I'm sure they didn't expect to get any RPGs shot at their faces from that distance. ;)

Died a lot of times, but was able to take down 2-3 guys for every death.
I think it was worth it in the end. ;)
Still can't believe we won this.

meppi said:
That White Pass defense was crazy as hell. :)
Rock was holding down the back of the last crate, as were you.
So I didn't want to sit there next to him and wait for the opposing team to just swarm us since as were stationary, so I went into kamikaze mode and continued to try and get behind enemy lines to create chaos and try to distract them enough so they couldn't all focus on taking you guys out.
So fun when you do this and you realize there's a sniper in a certain far away house, waiting for people to pop out and defend that last crate.
Then the kill-cam turns on and you see 2 more wookies sitting right next to him.
I'm sure they didn't expect to get any RPGs shot at their faces from that distance. ;)

Died a lot of times, but was able to take down 2-3 guys for every death.
I think it was worth it in the end. ;)
Still can't believe we won this.
yeah, delaying some of the attackers helps, they never really had more than one squad get on the crates.

the one thing i really like is when the randoms see us throwing motion mines everywhere and one of them decides "wait a minute, that's a good fucking idea!" and starts doing it too.

meppi

Indeed. That happened today as well.
Barely any motion mines in the early games, but once I went recon and started throwing them out, at some spots there were 4-5 balls in practically the same spot. lol

One thing that bothers me though is how very little people actually spot.

It's something I always do, even before shooting my first bullet most of the time, unless the enemy is 2 steps away.
It's basically instinct, yet I barely see anyone else doing it which can give your team a big disadvantage.

One thing that might be a bit annoying, especially when I'm in a tank as a gunner and spotting every 3 seconds at anything that moves or doesn't seem right, is that I tend to give squad orders as well or ask other vehicles to give me a ride. ;)

meppi said:
Indeed. That happened today as well.
Barely any motion mines in the early games, but once I went recon and started throwing them out, at some spots there were 4-5 balls in practically the same spot. lol

One thing that bothers me though is how very little people actually spot.

It's something I always do, even before shooting my first bullet most of the time, unless the enemy is 2 steps away.
It's basically instinct, yet I barely see anyone else doing it which can give your team a big disadvantage.

One thing that might be a bit annoying, especially when I'm in a tank as a gunner and spotting every 3 seconds at anything that moves or doesn't seem right, is that I tend to give squad orders as well or ask other vehicles to give me a ride. ;)
if they gave medals for spot assists, i'd have so much more points.

I started using the AT4 after seeing the youtube vids some of you guys linked. I've actually managed to get some pretty sweet kills with it so far. Definitely rewarding.

It feels so good to go back to vanilla.

Gave this game another go last night.

Vietnam matches played better - no glitches anyway and some solid and frenetic infantry engagements. Got burned to a bloody crisp a few too many times but it was awesome nonetheless. But it soon ended up with my team running around for a while until we realized that there was no enemy team anymore. They had all left the game. OK.

Lemme give Vietnam a break and try some classic BC2. Conquest map? Sure, what the hell. I'm not sure how or what led to this, but I was part of a squad being spawn raped more ruthlessly than I've seen in many years, by helicopters, tanks and waiting infantry. I tried to spawn 5 times as an engineer to help, but I literally never lasted more than two seconds. OK.

I love the look of this game, and I love the feeling of the large battles when they work. But the sheer number of ways you can be annoyed or cock-blocked in this game is almost beyond count. And when the game isn't trolling you the players are (see above posts). Its just not trying to push through it all for me.

Soma

Man squad deathmatch sure is fun when you're the only assault dude and the rest of your squad is on top of that cliff in Laguna Presa with their M24s

back to rush/conquest i guess

CatPee

NullPointer said:

Vietnam matches played better - no glitches anyway and some solid and frenetic infantry engagements. Got burned to a bloody crisp a few too many times but it was awesome nonetheless. But it soon ended up with my team running around for a while until we realized that there was no enemy team anymore. They had all left the game. OK.

Lemme give Vietnam a break and try some classic BC2. Conquest map? Sure, what the hell. I'm not sure how or what led to this, but I was part of a squad being spawn raped more ruthlessly than I've seen in many years, by helicopters, tanks and waiting infantry. I tried to spawn 5 times as an engineer to help, but I literally never lasted more than two seconds. OK.

I love the look of this game, and I love the feeling of the large battles when they work. But the sheer number of ways you can be annoyed or cock-blocked in this game is almost beyond count. And when the game isn't trolling you the players are (see above posts). Its just not trying to push through it all for me.

Platform? This rarely ever happens to me, aside from the odd game of Squad Rush or so.

TheSeks

NullPointer said:

You really should play with GAF. If you're being spawn raped generally it's your teams fault for not being quick to get out or set up a defense. GAF generally prevents that and causes it on PS3 9/10 of the time.

The games built for playing with a set squad anyway.

if they gave medals for spot assists, i'd have so much more points.

Surveillance Ops Pin
In a round, do 5 motion mine assists.
Score: +100
* 824x awarded

Please, someone beat me. Then I can play other classes

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I have no platinums :(

Think I almost have one with one of the pistols, but I'm not even close with anything else.

I got my first sniper rifle platinum star, the M24. I decided I wanted to move on to the next one in order so I started using the semi-auto T88. Learning curve is a little steeper than I remember. Decided not to use the 12x with it like I did the M24 because the recoil is ridiculous when looking through the scope. Crosshair sucks, I hate the triangle. I can't even tell what I'm hitting, only that it takes three bullets to kill, so I assume I'm getting foot-shots or something.

It's funny you guys mentioned spotting because when I spot with the T88 I get zero kills. Plenty of kill assists, though. I spot, get one to two shots in then someone with a bolt-action rifle comes in and takes my kill.

Yesterday, we were in a server playing against some new guys that didn't have VIP codes and map packs, so it was greatest hits night. Isla, Valpo, Arica, Valdez, repeat. Glorious.

CatPee

Dreamgazer said:
Surveillance Ops Pin
* 824x awarded

lolwookie

Tomat said:
I have no platinums :(

Think I almost have one with one of the pistols, but I'm not even close with anything else.

*checks stats*

32 :). It's just a matter of restricting yourself to 1 gun for a period of time. Can be a pain if the situation calls for a different gun, but ultimately worth it when you see that glorious platinum star pop up on the screen. Going for the plat with the AEK-971 right now and I'm enjoying it more than I expected.

Going for gold star for every gun though, now that's a larger pain in the ass.

i mean real man spots with Q/Back/Select

M16 Platinum! NEXT!

Glorious beast of a gun. Have fun
and I hope your PS3 doesn't blow up before you get it :|
!

CatPee said:
I didn't. I just meant you had to have been in the wookie suit for a hell of a long time getting those 824 pins >_>.

you can rack up those pins easily if you know how to use a motion sensor right...

Recon only recently taken over as my 2nd most used kit.

there are people on bfbcs with 4 times my recon score and less than half of the amount of motion sensor assist pins I have...

bean breath said:
I started using the semi-auto T88. Learning curve is a little steeper than I remember. Decided not to use the 12x with it like I did the M24 because the recoil is ridiculous when looking through the scope. Crosshair sucks, I hate the triangle. I can't even tell what I'm hitting, only that it takes three bullets to kill, so I assume I'm getting foot-shots or something.
When I use the Type 88 sniper rifle I use it with a 4X scope and magnum ammo and find a bush that's very close to the action. In conjunction with the motion sensors it's actually quite a handy little combo.

CatPee

Dreamgazer said:
you can rack up those pins easily if you know how to use a motion sensor right...

Recon only recently taken over as my 2nd most used kit.

there are people on bfbcs with 4 times my recon score and less than half of the amount of motion sensor assist pins I have...

People just love to wait to kill the guys that are in my motion mine's range either after it fizzles out or they go out of its range. -_-

meppi

endlessflood said:
When I use the Type 88 sniper rifle I use it with a 4X scope and magnum ammo and find a bush that's very close to the action. In conjunction with the motion sensors it's actually quite a handy little combo.

So you openly state that you're a bushwookie?

Well, at least that takes balls...I guess :p

olimpia84

Dreamgazer said:
Surveillance Ops Pin
* 824x awarded

Surveilance Ops
Do 5 motion mine assists
x1244 awarded

;)

mrbagdt

just got this game this weekend off amazon, ultimate edition on ps3, i dont know why i didnt get it earlier because i am having a blast.

i assume that playing by yourself and doing 'public' squads is a hard road to take? i never seem to be in a squad with people who have any idea what they are doing- they are either afk or wandering around our spawn base. sometimes im lucky and have someone that is being active and i can move forward with, but i am guessing most good players are already in squads when they join the games?

meppi

mrbagdt said:
just got this game this weekend off amazon, ultimate edition on ps3, i dont know why i didnt get it earlier because i am having a blast.

i assume that playing by yourself and doing 'public' squads is a hard road to take? i never seem to be in a squad with people who have any idea what they are doing- they are either afk or wandering around our spawn base. sometimes im lucky and have someone that is being active and i can move forward with, but i am guessing most good players are already in squads when they join the games?

Yeah, playing with people that know what they are doing is basically the difference between having the most fun you can have in an online game, or wanting to throw your controller through your tv as they will get you killed more often than not.

You can always add me if you'd like. meppi64

Oh and this is the perfect time to finish the job and preorder BF3.
Just saying. ;)

vixlar

bean breath said:
I got my first sniper rifle platinum star, the M24. I decided I wanted to move on to the next one in order so I started using the semi-auto T88. Learning curve is a little steeper than I remember. Decided not to use the 12x with it like I did the M24 because the recoil is ridiculous when looking through the scope. Crosshair sucks, I hate the triangle. I can't even tell what I'm hitting, only that it takes three bullets to kill, so I assume I'm getting foot-shots or something.

It's funny you guys mentioned spotting because when I spot with the T88 I get zero kills. Plenty of kill assists, though. I spot, get one to two shots in then someone with a bolt-action rifle comes in and takes my kill.

Yesterday, we were in a server playing against some new guys that didn't have VIP codes and map packs, so it was greatest hits night. Isla, Valpo, Arica, Valdez, repeat. Glorious.

It is the best you can do!!! You are gaining a lot of points for spotting and kill assist, but is difficult for the enemy to guess where are you because when they die, they see the other player's killcam. If you can throw some motion mines you can improve your score.

CatPee

Joined in on meppi, got put on the other team of randoms, and ended up winning 2 games against him and his buddy Mancunian11.

I felt so proud of myself
DKyKv.gif

olimpia84 said:
Surveilance Ops
Do 5 motion mine assists
x1244 awarded

;)
well, if we're really going there, do my awards on 360 count too?

mrbagdt said:

yeah, it's tough, you should add some GAF peeps to your friends list.

meppi

You forgot the first map where we basically raped your team on Valparaiso Attack. ;P

But yeah, after that it all went to shit.
Nearly everybody left on our side and got replaced with a mix clueless medics and 6 seconds water wookies.

That fake level 6 shotgun asshole did get on my nerves though.

Didn't like that x12 snipe in my basecamp on Isla Inocentes attack from your island, so I enjoyed taking you down with a x4 M95 one afterwards from the same distance. ;)
Choppers didn't work as people jumped in and just lifted off, clearly without knowing what to do next.
When I took a chopper in, everyone bailed from the moment I was above solid ground and basically fell to their death, leaving me without a single gunner. :-/

Stupid, stupid teammates.
Musaad18 joined in late, but by that time we were already soured on the whole thing so we went to play some conquest.
Had some great fun in those matches.

Joined the first game when we had 40 tickets left against 160 or so.
So we lost that one.
But from then on we won every game.
Was quite competitive. At least until the final game where the opposing team bailed and got replaced with a couple of level 2-3s as well as 10's and 20's so we just had a bit of fun and called it a day.

Top Bottom