• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

When playing as a recon, whether it be attacking or defending, always have at least one mcom within your line of sight. Anything else you choose to do or play style you adopt is irrelevant as long as you follow that one simple principle.

TheSeks said:
Douches should get back to Call of Duty while those of us that snipe from a distance and help the team with moments like that stay. :/
gOYBp.png

It had to be done :)

Church RvB said:
I still can't help but feel like its not that hard to run around with a gun that does 100 damage up close and be proud of your 'skillz'.
Not a fan of pump action shotguns either? There are tradeoffs with those loadouts. Personally I find a VSS with red dot to be much better for up close recon work and find the 4x bolt actions to be very unwieldy, so I respect those people who are able to use them better than I can. I used the 4x bolt action combo for my second gold stars on the bolt actions and found them fun but tricky to use in that way.

bean breath said:
When playing as a recon, whether it be attacking or defending, always have at least one mcom within your line of sight. Anything else you choose to do or play style you adopt is irrelevant as long as you follow that one simple principle.
That is very sage advice.

Well, I did not expect that to start much of a discussion. I took the 4X/red dot advice and I played a few games the other day and I was doing pretty well. It's difficult for me, but I definitely feel like I'm helping, instead of just sitting on the edge, getting random points for precision headshots, or whatever they're called.

endlessflood said:
I dont know if you guys have already come across this trick, but it was news to me. You can pick up a medic's kit and revive them while retaining your pre-medic kit:

1. Pick up the dead medic kit
  2. Press the change kit button (O/B) and immediately press the trigger to revive the dead body.
You'll retain your original kit.

I haven't tried it yet but a number of people have confirmed that it works.
yeah, it works. at least it does on consoles.

bean breath said:
this.

endlessflood said:
Not a fan of pump action shotguns either? There are tradeoffs with those loadouts. Personally I find a VSS with red dot to be much better for up close recon work and find the 4x bolt actions to be very unwieldy, so I respect those people who are able to use them better than I can. I used the 4x bolt action combo for my second gold stars on the bolt actions and found them fun but tricky to use in that way.
well, with the way the bullet spread is handled on shotguns, you can shoot someone who is dead center and wound but not kill them because too many of the projectiles went wide, with the bolt action, it's either dead or nothing a all...

Dr Prob

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
it's high risk, high reward! if you miss, you're screwed! seriously, it's fun to run around with a bolt action rifle up close, no scoping people.

Indeed. I mostly play Rush and when attacking loved running recon/shotgun/extra C4/motion mines everywhere, but eventually platinumed the shotguns and needed to move on to something else.

VSS w/a red dot seemed like the easiest to transition into (minus the extra three sticks of C4), instead, right now I'm loving the GOL/rds.

if you miss, you're screwed!

Again for emphasis. But it's so rewarding when you can actually do some some shit with it.

While more powerful (even some misplaced shot to the foot will send someone to their doom) and far better at a distance, there's no default reticle/crosshairs or whatever they're called and a longer reload than the pump action shotguns. You're living on the edge!

And dying there, because you missed. Wasn't even close :D

CatPee

Even more thrilling is just running around the frontlines with the standard 8x scope. Even more risk, so much reward. Plus it can do its intended role over long range too :D.

Sanjay said:
This game has single player?
yeah, it does, i think... i vaguely remember myself doing something like deleting my single player saves so i didn't accidentally start a single player session with an accidental button press... not sure though, it was a year ago or so...

vixlar

yeah, it does, i think... i vaguely remember myself doing something like deleting my single player saves so i didn't accidentally start a single player session with an accidental button press... not sure though, it was a year ago or so...

If you delete your SP the menu starts at MP?

Actually, SP should be a very hidden option in "Options" Menu, and when you hit to play it must ask for confirmation, with 4 options of no and one of yes.

vixlar said:

Actually, SP should be a very hidden option in "Options" Menu, and when you hit to play it must ask for confirmation, with 4 options of no and one of yes.
no, it doesn't start at MP, but you can't accidentally load the last checkpoint with a single button press.

olimpia84

I hate it when I hit "Start Game" and have to wait for the SP campaign to load. I hope they 'fix' this for BF3

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
vixlar said:

hahaha

blurrygil

olimpia84 said:
I hate it when I hit "Start Game" and have to wait for the SP campaign to load. I hope they 'fix' this for BF3

This...

GGs to you guys again on XBL. Man, the difference when on the right/wrong side of BFBC2-GAF is like bloody night and day.

BigAT

After picking this up during the Steam winter sale, I'm finally getting around to playing it now and regretting I didn't do so earlier. I'm really enjoying the multiplayer experience so far, although it is a bit frustrating to have so much basic things locked early on. The tips in the OP were a great help, but it's hard to take the advice on repairing tanks when I don't even have the repair tool unlocked yet. One question I do have that wasn't in the OP, is it possible to adjust your mouse sensitivity for just when you're inside a tank? I know it's probably the point that aiming is a bit cumbersome while in a vehicle, but it would be nice to customize just vehicle sensitivity while leaving my normal aiming the same.

Is there much of a GAF community (PC) that is still playing this? If so, are you guys playing vanilla or is everyone doing nothing but Vietnam?

BigAT said:
After picking this up during the Steam winter sale, I'm finally getting around to playing it now and regretting I didn't do so earlier. I'm really enjoying the multiplayer experience so far, although it is a bit frustrating to have so much basic things locked early on. The tips in the OP were a great help, but it's hard to take the advice on repairing tanks when I don't even have the repair tool unlocked yet. One question I do have that wasn't in the OP, is it possible to adjust your mouse sensitivity for just when you're inside a tank? I know it's probably the point that aiming is a bit cumbersome while in a vehicle, but it would be nice to customize just vehicle sensitivity while leaving my normal aiming the same.

Is there much of a GAF community (PC) that is still playing this? If so, are you guys playing vanilla or is everyone doing nothing but Vietnam?

I came into this game late too. Lately I have been playing vanilla but for about 2 weeks straight I played Vietnam (loved it).

I think each class should have it's staple item from level 1, not sure why they did it like this.

This might help you with the turret issue:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/446923.page

Hyunkel6

Sometimes, the game will boot me back to the main menu mid-game, and I'll be one level behind. All my recent unlocks will be gone too. It seems that the game didn't save my stats or something. Does this happen often, and is there a way to prevent this? 360 version, btw.

Miggytronz

Hyunkel6 said:
Sometimes, the game will boot me back to the main menu mid-game, and I'll be one level behind. All my recent unlocks will be gone too. It seems that the game didn't save my stats or something. Does this happen often, and is there a way to prevent this? 360 version, btw.

just the Server doing a hickup. sometimes restarting the game will work.

Jas

Played a game on Valparasio with Rock today which was fun. :)

We joined a game were it was 5 on 12, the opposition consisted of HonorBR, MkS, and WON clan guys. We get to the third set of m-coms and we're on defense. They take A pretty fast but then realize our spawn point is back left of the base, so they camp it.

They had their entire team around this one area with the Bradley and Blackhawk just waiting to kill anyone that spawned. It was the only place the game allowed us to spawn so we died alot. They purposely didn't take B so they could build their KDR stats. So we stopped spawning and see if they would get bored and take B but random people kept joining and spawning.

Eventually we get a team of 12 and breakout from the spawn camping at around 35 tickets left. What happens? They lose, they never get B.

The very next game we are attacking on Valpo still, Manny, Rock, and me grab the Blackhawk. By the third set of m-coms we cleared the server. :)

Jas said:
Played a game on Valparasio with Rock today which was fun. :)

We joined a game were it was 5 on 12, the opposition consisted of HonorBR, MkS, and WON clan guys. We get to the third set of m-coms and we're on defense. They take A pretty fast but then realize our spawn point is back left of the base, so they camp it.

They had their entire team around this one area with the Bradley and Blackhawk just waiting to kill anyone that spawned. It was the only place the game allowed us to spawn so we died alot. They purposely didn't take B so they could build their KDR stats. So we stopped spawning and see if they would get bored and take B but random people kept joining and spawning.

Eventually we get a team of 12 and breakout from the spawn camping at around 35 tickets left. What happens? They lose, they never get B.

The very next game we are attacking on Valpo still, Manny, Rock, and me grab the Blackhawk. By the third set of m-coms we cleared the server. :)

People will stay when their team is doing the raping, but once they start getting fucked up they leave. Bitches.

meppi

Jas said:

Not surprising. Seen this happen lots of times.
Just goes to show just how pathetic some of these clans actually are.
I'm surprised they didn't leave just before their tickets ran out on the original game already.

Jas

Church RvB said:
People will stay when their team is doing the raping, but once they start getting fucked up they leave. Bitches.

Yep, I'm no saint I've spawn camped in plenty of games but to have all 12 guys circle this one small spawn area and not set the m-com is something I've never done or would do. The overhead view was laughable especially with the blackhawk and bradley circling this one little area. Once we broke out it was pathetic how fast those 35 tickets disappeared.

meppi said:
Not surprising. Seen this happen lots of times.
Just goes to show just how pathetic some of these clans actually are.
I'm surprised they didn't leave just before their tickets ran out on the original game already.

It was actually the first time I've seen it in Rush. Spawn camping bases in Conquest I've seen a bunch but to single out one spawn in Rush was a first for me. It was not setting the m-com that annoyed the living hell out of me. I guess they stayed around thinking they could win a fair game, that didn't last :)

I really need to get something to record my games on PS3, really would of liked to upload this game on Youtube. Hopefully Battlefield 3 has a Theater type mode.

JonCha

I hate when you're spawning on teammates, and then you get shot and die instantly (vs spawning way back at the base). Especially when players on the opposite teams are camping a lot, I just leave because I'm not encouraging that type of gameplay.

Can someone tell me how I can open the parachute (on PS3). I can't find anything about it in the description.

Also, as I bought this game used, what is that code I'm always supposed to enter whenever I go to the MP?

JonCha

Patrick Bateman said:
Can someone tell me how I can open the parachute (on PS3). I can't find anything about it in the description.

Also, as I bought this game used, what is that code I'm always supposed to enter whenever I go to the MP?

I just keeping tapping A when I jump from a cliff, and it launches. My friend had to tell me because I had no idea.

meppi

Patrick Bateman said:

Tapping X twice should do the trick.

That's the VIP code you need to get access to all the map packs.
So basically, you're screwed and will need to buy the DLC which is €/$10 I think.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
meppi said:
That's the VIP code you need to get access to all the map packs.
So basically, you're screwed and will need to buy the DLC which is €/$10 I think.

Correct. PC doesn't have a VIP code AFAIK despite having the info for it on the box itself. >implying PC gamers buy retail PC games anymore

thezerofire said:
last few games I've played our team has just gotten wrecked by helicopters. How do you even combat them?

AA guns, AT4s, Tracer -> RPG/Gustavs, Tanks, Other stationary weapons, UAV, Snipe the pilot.

Not all viable options are easy. But those are your options. A great pilot isn't going to go down so easily.

Miggytronz

thezerofire said:
last few games I've played our team has just gotten wrecked by helicopters. How do you even combat them?

the uav is the best way to down a chopper. just fly into it.

Shoot helicopters down with a tank, use mounted .50's on it, or go assault with the tracer darts and nab it with a tracer. Once the dart has hit then have another player with an RPG hit it. The reason why you want assault with the tracer dart is that they can drop an ammo kit and spam the skies until you hit him. Try the M2 gustav w/ extra rockets. The faster projectile speed (compared to the rpg) makes hitting choppers easy.

The m95 sniper rifle is at the top of the list. A good sniper can pick a pilot out of any of the choppers - except for the Apache, which seems to be the only one with 50-cal resistant glass.

tips i got from there that tend to help.
http://www.focusedgaming.com/battlefield-bad-company-2/4154-battlefield-bad-company-2-tips-tricks.html

-Silver-

Mikasangelos said:
A good sniper can pick a pilot out of any of the choppers - except for the Apache, which seems to be the only one with 50-cal resistant glass.
]
I'm pretty sure that's no longer the case.

The SP must be the most unfair trial&error-shit I have ever witnessed in a modern game. Seriously, it's supposed to be 4 soldiers, yet the player is the only who's getting shot and killed, but you mostly have to wait for your teammates, so it triggers the next sequence... Grenades, air strikes and snipers out of nowhere.. The respawns are total shit, too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I didn't have issues with the single player. And I played it on Hard, get good, newbie. :p

The only problem was the snipers with Sweetwater/the Medic in the house. Didn't know I had to split from that house to another so I was holding the fort when he bailed and died.

in which aspect, the Apache or snipers? LOL

The Apache. I can confirm from Youtube videos that you can snipe the pilot out of the helicopters. But it's flipping hard to do so it isn't a sure fire counter unless you have some serious sniper skills in calculating the drop and lead.

Patrick Bateman said:
The SP must be the most unfair trial&error-shit I have ever witnessed in a modern game. Seriously, it's supposed to be 4 soldiers, yet the player is the only who's getting shot and killed, but you mostly have to wait for your teammates, so it triggers the next sequence... Grenades, air strikes and snipers out of nowhere.. The respawns are total shit, too.
People actually play the single player in Battlefield? My mind is blown.

Effect said:
Do the Ultimate Editions provide access to the Vietnam expansion? Or does that have to be purchased separately on the consoles?

The ultimate edition came out BEFORE Vietnam. So yes, Vietnam must be purchased separately. XBL had a 50% deal for Vietnam a few months ago. It could happen again. IMO, vanilla is more fun than Vietnam, I feel like I got my moneys worth when I paid $7.50 though.

Side note, the Ultimate Edition isn't so ultimate after all. It includes 1943, Onslaught, Limited Edition Unlocks, and VIP.

You get VIP with all new games, and you earn Limited Edition Unlocks eventually. So those two are pretty much throw aways.

Onslaught is ok, its only 400 msp. And I already owned 1943. The Ultimate Edition should have included the SPEC ACT weapons as well. I got them for free via the Dr. Pepper loop hole though.

For some reason the Ultimate Edition is less than the regular one though. Very odd. Fake edit: Looks like the standard edition is currently less than the Ultimate. I got the Ultimate Edition for $14 about a year ago. The game is worth retail price of $60 though.

Mikasangelos said:
the uav is the best way to down a chopper. just fly into it.

Shoot helicopters down with a tank, use mounted .50's on it, or go assault with the tracer darts and nab it with a tracer. Once the dart has hit then have another player with an RPG hit it. The reason why you want assault with the tracer dart is that they can drop an ammo kit and spam the skies until you hit him. Try the M2 gustav w/ extra rockets. The faster projectile speed (compared to the rpg) makes hitting choppers easy.

The m95 sniper rifle is at the top of the list. A good sniper can pick a pilot out of any of the choppers - except for the Apache, which seems to be the only one with 50-cal resistant glass.

tips i got from there that tend to help.
http://www.focusedgaming.com/battlefield-bad-company-2/4154-battlefield-bad-company-2-tips-tricks.html

Honestly I think the easiest way to take out a chopper is the AA (VADS > ZU, imo) When I'm in a chopper I fear AAs.

The AT4 is probably the 2nd best option for me, mainly because I'm above average with it. Most people can't hit a moving, evading chopper though, so I don't fear them too much when I'm flying.

Tracer -> RPG/Gustav is a great combo like you said, but a decent amount of choppers will fly with smoke, which makes the tracer practically useless. However, I don't fly with smokes, so I fear being traced.

Tanks can down a chopper well, but #1 you have to be a decent shot and #2 the chopper has to be low enough/tank has to have a good angle.

TOW/KORN are nothing like navigating the AT4 and really only work on choppers that are hovering. .50 Cal/KORD are ok, but take forever to take a chopper by themselves and are really only supplementary at best.

UAV with ALT FIRE can take a chopper down fast, but is also EXTREMELY vulnerable to the chopper.

Snipers- Yeah I do not fear this at all when flying. The chance of a sniper getting you is so low its practically a non issue.

olimpia84 said:
Select AltWeapon from the perks. I believe you have to unlock it.

It's the last unlock for vehicles, but I believe if you have the ultimate ed. it's unlocked by default. Also, press RB to use it while in the UAV (for 360, presumably R1 for PS3?)

Top Bottom