• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

karlhungis

Neo Member
I picked this up on the steam sale and I am trying to get it sorted out. Can I ask a series of stupid beginner questions or is that pretty much shunned around here?

Fuck, so after about a week playing this game on the 360, I'm slowly but surely considering of buying a PC for BF3! How much would one cost to run anywhere from medium to max settings for BF3? Or would it be better to ask this question closer to the end of October when it releases? Just wondering since I'm a noob when it comes to PC and so I can start saving.
Btw, my gamer tag is: I SAVAGE I FTP

scogoth

Gordon0Freeman said:
Fuck, so after about a week playing this game on the 360, I'm slowly but surely considering of buying a PC for BF3! How much would one cost to run anywhere from medium to max settings for BF3? Or would it be better to ask this question closer to the end of October when it releases? Just wondering since I'm a noob when it comes to PC and so I can start saving.
Btw, my gamer tag is: I SAVAGE I FTP

Wait till October because we will have more news on the next generation of GPUs and AMD's Bulldozer will be out. Then post in I Need A New PC

karlhungis

Neo Member
Again, these are very simple questions.

1. As a medic, how do you heal?

2. As an engineer, how do you repair vehicles? (Assuming it is the same as question 1)

3. As an assault, how do you drop an ammo pack.... (sounds familiar)

4. How do you throw a smoke grenade? I can throw a frag, but I haven't seen any option for a smoke grenade.

5. What is the best way to learn the game without pissing off the community? I have been playing a lot of COD and I notice the "McGruber" style is not really appropriate on here.

6. How do you "spot"?

Thanks

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hey guys. I was just wondering if Vietnam is worth buying on PS3. I just got a copy of the game for myself (played on roommate's 360 a decent amount) and am getting creamed by level 50s and having difficulty getting back to the gear I had before and was wondering if Vietnam would be any better for that. Plus I kind of just wanted to check it out anyway. $15 is kind of steep so I'd like some opinions.

scogoth

karlhungis said:

2. As an engineer, how do you repair vehicles? (Assuming it is the same as question 1)

4. How do you throw a smoke grenade? I can throw a frag, but I haven't seen any option for a smoke grenade.

5. What is the best way to learn the game without pissing off the community? I have been playing a lot of COD and I notice the "McGruber" style is not really appropriate on here.

6. How do you "spot"?

Thanks

1. Unlock medkit by levelling
2. Unlock repair tool by levelling
3. Unlock ammo pack by levelling
3. Unlock smoke grenades by levelling (its a 40mm smoke grenade attachment for assault rifles)
5. Play sp to learn controls then play more with GAF members and ask questions.
6. Q

RoboPlato said:
Hey guys. I was just wondering if Vietnam is worth buying on PS3. I just got a copy of the game for myself (played on roommate's 360 a decent amount) and am getting creamed by level 50s and having difficulty getting back to the gear I had before and was wondering if Vietnam would be any better for that. Plus I kind of just wanted to check it out anyway. $15 is kind of steep so I'd like some opinions.

Have it on PC and its a lot of fun but I went into it with everything unlocked. Vietnams weapons are more powerful with almost no recoil because there are no scopes to mount. Makes it very easy to snipe with assault rifles and they made much it easier to rez people making all medic squads pretty much invincible. If you are frustrated with BC2 vanilla then Vietnam is not going to be any easier.

karlhungis said:

You need to unlock the health packs. Equip it (slot 4) and fire to drop it on the ground close to people that need health and it will slowly recharge their hp at a faster rate than the standard regeneration.

karlhungis said:

You equip the repair tool and then just fire into the vehicle. Note that you need to stand right next to the vehicle for it to work. Also uses the 4th slot.

karlhungis said:

Same as health packs, equip it with 4 and fire.

karlhungis said:

Smoke grenades are only available for assault. You need to choose it instead of 40mm grenade and 40mm shotgun. It's on slot 3. Equip it, aim, and fire. Note that you can kill people if you hit them directly with the smoke launcher.

karlhungis said:

Just try to do objectives. If you want to learn how to fly a helicopter, join an Atacama Desert (cq)or Heavy Metal only server that is empty. Then you can fly to your hearts desire.

karlhungis said:
6. How do you "spot"?

Aim at someone and press Q. I recommend switching to mouse4 instead though.

karlhungis

Neo Member
Thank you for the quick answers. So, the health / ammo packs are both unlockable items? Is the repair tool also unlockable?

What is the most needed class in a usual match? As in, "there are never enough medics/engineers...."

Can someone explain to me whats fun about this game?
I came into the PC version expecting lots of teamwork and communication, which there hasnt been any of. In all of my recent experiences it has been people blindly rushing towards the point. So far its tedious and boring.
Am I doing it wrong?
How do I have fun with this game?

scogoth

karlhungis said:
Thank you for the quick answers. So, the health / ammo packs are both unlockable items? Is the repair tool also unlockable?

What is the most needed class in a usual match? As in, "there are never enough medics/engineers...."

Yes repair tool is unlockable. When you are starting out its easier just to pick up other peoples kit.

For class you will always see, "There are too many snipers."
<rant>
Sitting in a building 2 miles away killing someone once every 5 min doesn't help the team at all. The recon class is useful to throw motion mines and pick off people on stationary weaponry or campers. Theres no reason recon shouldn't be at the front lines fighting.
</rant>
If you want to be aggressive go assault, if you want to help the team then go medic, if there are lots of vehicles on the map then go engie.

Glitchfire said:
I came into the PC version expecting lots of teamwork and communication, which there hasnt been any of. In all of my recent experiences it has been people blindly rushing towards the point. So far its tedious and boring.
Am I doing it wrong?

Get three people to play with you on mumble. Teamwork is the ultimate weapon in this game, thats why theres spotting, voice queues and (broken) voice chat.

Glitchfire said:
Am I doing it wrong?

Expecting teamwork when playing with random people? Yup, doing it wrong.

Jas

Good games today PS3 GAF! Got a chance to play for a bit and saw plenty of people on, which means nothing but wins :)

Only threat of a loss came when me and danthaman were playing defense on Valparasio.

Got to the last set when Dan mentioned how we just needed 1 more person to hold them off...2 minutes later Minty shows up, followed by Vaslisk. Cha-ching!

The only downside there were a a lot of laggy games.

CatPee

Loads of laggy-ass games lately for me. Though I suspect that my ISP likes to throttle its customers' connections when payment time draws near, so that might also be a cause.

CatPee said:
Loads of laggy-ass games lately for me. Though I suspect that my ISP likes to throttle its customers' connections when payment time draws near, so that might also be a cause.

I have had crazy lag lately too. I'm not sure if it is me or the server. I was reading that BC2 servers need daily reboots or they start lagging, no idea if that is true.

Some servers like reddit dalas are pretty stable though.

JJD

I'm having a lot of lag too. It's the reason I didn't play much this weekend, I can't adapt to lag.

So I've reached lvl. 50, and I was trying to plat. as much weapons as I could (got all the assault rifles with the exception of F2000, and a couple others) to help the grinding with the 10.000 points medals.

But now that points don't really matter to me I'm thinking of sticking to my favorite weapons. What do you guys do? Continue plat. different weapons, even if you don't like then, or play safe with your favorites?

JJD said:
But now that points don't really matter to me I'm thinking of sticking to my favorite weapons. What do you guys do? Continue plat. different weapons, even if you don't like then, or play safe with your favorites?
Do whatever you find to be more fun. Sometimes it's fun to try a new play-style that a certain weapon encourages. If you find it to be too much like hard work though then give it a miss. Personally I'm going to do it for the weapons I find fun and skip any that annoy me.

JJD said:
What do you guys do? Continue plat. different weapons, even if you don't like then, or play safe with your favorites?

I stick to my favorites and plat. them if I can, for now -- playing the PC version now, don't really care about any stats anymore. PS3 and 360 versions I attempted to platinum everything to no avail. It's fun to try new weapons though, can be refreshing.

The autologin (PC) feature of BC2 has been jacked up for me for weeks. I put in my info, hit save, login, play for a bit and then quit. Next time I come to play it gives me this incorrect password error. I can type in the correct username/pw and it gives the same error. I have to log in with some made up name/pw to get it to error out again, then it will accept my correct username/pw.

Am I the only one with this problem? For a workaround I just have it save the username and I put the password in each time.

Another gripe with this login system is it does not recognize tab/enter. I shouldn't have to click anything to log in, should be username, tab, password, enter.

I hope the UI for BF3 is better designed/snappier, but I'm not holding my breath. The UI in BF2/2142 was kind of junky too.

CrankyJay

Banned
If your'e driving a tank, can you hear when c4 is being placed on it?

This guy was totally whoring out tanks yesterday on Panama Canal so I kept dropping C4 on the back of his tank and EVERY TIME the guy would hop out and start shooting at me. I asked him how he knew and he said he could hear me place the C4 on his tank.

CrankyJay

Banned
nismogrendel said:
The autologin (PC) feature of BC2 has been jacked up for me for weeks. I put in my info, hit save, login, play for a bit and then quit. Next time I come to play it gives me this incorrect password error. I can type in the correct username/pw and it gives the same error. I have to log in with some made up name/pw to get it to error out again, then it will accept my correct username/pw.

Am I the only one with this problem? For a workaround I just have it save the username and I put the password in each time.

Another gripe with this login system is it does not recognize tab/enter. I shouldn't have to click anything to log in, should be username, tab, password, enter.

I hope the UI for BF3 is better designed/snappier, but I'm not holding my breath. The UI in BF2/2142 was kind of junky too.

I had this issue as well, but at some point I think I changed my EA.com password and it went away. My big issue (that I thought I had fixed) is I keep crashing to desktop when trying to join a server.

meppi

JJD said:
I'm having a lot of lag too. It's the reason I didn't play much this weekend, I can't adapt to lag.

So I've reached lvl. 50, and I was trying to plat. as much weapons as I could (got all the assault rifles with the exception of F2000, and a couple others) to help the grinding with the 10.000 points medals.

I'd go with new weapons after getting platinums on your favourite ones, just to see how they react after getting used to them.

If you still don't like them after a couple of hours, go back to your favourites or try a new one. Going for platinums just for the sake of it even though you're not enjoying playing with the weapons seems like a waste of time to me.

My favourite is still the G3 combined with an RPG.
Which RPG I'm not sure of at this point. Just started using the AT4 after getting platinums on the first 2. So far I really enjoy using both of them, but I'm starting to really like using the AT4 as well.

As a recon my favourite one is the GOL, but since I platinumed it a long time ago, I wanted to try something else and have found the SV98 with a x4 to be a lot of fun to use and very practical due to the clip size and reload speed.

CrankyJay said:
Yeah, you can hear a distinct *click* sound when a C4 is planted on your vehicle.
Need to react fast to get out in time though.

olimpia84

JJD said:
What do you guys do? Continue plat. different weapons, even if you don't like then, or play safe with your favorites?

I try to plat different weapons whenever I can. As a matter of fact yesterday I got platinum on the W911 (I think?) handgun and the Type88 LMG. I'm very close in getting a plat star on the MG3 SA now too (only 86 kills left I believe). However, when the game is challenging and is a tight one I usually stick to my favorite weapons. Winning above everything is my motto.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
olimpia84 said:
I try to plat different weapons whenever I can. As a matter of fact yesterday I got platinum on the W911 (I think?) handgun and the Type88 LMG. I'm very close in getting a plat star on the MG3 SA now too (only 86 kills left I believe). However, when the game is challenging and is a tight one I usually stick to my favorite weapons. Winning above everything is my motto.
I do about, the same thing

I got bc2 back
PSN: codmaul

had if for 360 but sold it

JJD said:

i try to play every weapon.

burnfout

CrankyJay said:

This guy was totally whoring out tanks yesterday on Panama Canal so I kept dropping C4 on the back of his tank and EVERY TIME the guy would hop out and start shooting at me. I asked him how he knew and he said he could hear me place the C4 on his tank.

Yeah you can hear it. When a tank is really annoying me, I just suicide with my C4 and the tank <3

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Patrick Bateman said:
Damn, I love to play Medic. Shooting people in the face, reviving squad guys, throwing first aid kits left and right, get thousands of points. :>

Agreed, it's my go-to class for all Battlefield games.

On a related note, when I'm feeling cheeky I'll roll a Recon with a Saiga and just toss motion mines everywhere. The assist points from those are also pretty big. And since you have a Saiga coupled with the WWII pistol, your K/D isn't too shabby either.

JJD

I'm sorry guys, the game crashed on me on that Oasis round against that chopper whore clan, and every time I tried to join again the game was full... :-(

CatPee

Church RvB said:
My friend deleted all his bf files on Xbox 360. He had VIP. Now its telling him to enter his VIP code. How can he get everything back?

IIRC VIP used to be purchasable and had to be downloaded, so tell him to look through his download history.

EDIT: If that doesn't work, tell him to contact EA support. They're very good about this stuff.

CatPee said:
IIRC VIP used to be purchasable and had to be downloaded, so tell him to look through his download history.

EDIT: If that doesn't work, tell him to contact EA support. They're very good about this stuff.

Ok Thanks.

EDIT: VIP is not part of xbl downloads (The code is four sets of four characters, where as xbl downloads are five sets of four characters.) It's entirely on EAs end, I believe.

-Silver-

JJD said:
I'm sorry guys, the game crashed on me on that Oasis round against that chopper whore clan, and every time I tried to join again the game was full... :-(
Better to have the game crash then have permanent lag problem. I spent ages trying to get out of one building but every time I managed to do so, I was taken back inside by some industrial rubber band.

meppi

JJD said:

We all got kicked to the menu screen.
You didn't miss much after that though.
Bunch of shotgun medic fuckers entered the game and shitted everything up to the point where everyone seemed to bail. :(

As much fun as this past week has been, this weekend has been nothing but pure shit yet again. What a frustrating POS when playing against such shitheads.

Jas

-Silver- said:
Better to have the game crash then have permanent lag problem. I spent ages trying to get out of one building but every time I managed to do so, I was taken back inside by some industrial rubber band.

Was having the same issues, this afternoon's games were completely awful.
That game on Panama Canal my game froze for a 5-10 second period at least a dozen times in one round.
I think we were playing on a server located in the South Pole or something, I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Darkshier said:
Looking at this link for the VIP code in the marketplace. http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Bad-Company-2-VIP/00000000-0000-400c-80cf-0001454108a8

It's telling me I need to pay 800 points to get it, even though I redeemed my code day 1. I wonder if the code is different from the marketplace item? I mean that wouldn't make sense, but I shouldn't be asked to pay for something I already have....

The VIP code you get with bfbc2 is four sets of four characters (xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx)

All xbl item that you dl with codes are five sets of four characters (xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx)

The VIP code that you get with a new copy of bfbc2 is separate from xbl. Its handled completely by EA. Onslaught and 1943 both have five sets of four characters for their codes and are actually d/led with xbl.

Jas said:
Was having the same issues, this afternoon's games were completely awful.
That game on Panama Canal my game froze for a 5-10 second period at least a dozen times in one round.
I think we were playing on a server located in the South Pole or something, I couldn't believe how bad it was.

It's weird. Sometimes I don't notice the lag issues as much as a my other friend does but sometimes, it's unbearable. And the pings... are all over the place from 50 to 350+ on low ping servers. Sorry I couldn't join you last night, I can't join via steam friend's list because I have a retail copy. Can only join via in-game friend's list.

...need to buy MoH to guarantee my ticket into the beta.

Jas

I didn't see your message until you were offline, sorry. :(
My BC2 name is Jas16.

Not sure how they are going handle the whole MoH thing. It's suppose to be an open beta, I guess they'll let MoH people in a week early?
You probably don't need it, I'm sure there will be other ways of getting in if that's the route they go.

JJD

Regarding the MoH beta on the PS3, if it's a just a download, I'll create a dummy account to share the file with you guys. Let's just try to keep it to ourselves to avoid account hijacking.

Top Bottom