• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Massa

TheSeks said:
Yes, but DICE isn't doing it here. *gasp!*

Past experience doesn't really help when the engine is new, you know?

I believe the main goal of the beta is to stress their servers so that launch isn't as catastrophic as usual for DICE, not gather feedback on balance issues (which can be done post release) or find bugs (which they already have a plate full of I'm sure).

Jas

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Took a little bit of a mandatory hiatus *ahem*... gave up the PS3 a couple of months ago and opted into PC gaming, setup is nothing special at the moment but will be slowly upgrading as we get closer to BF3. Jeebus are the servers usually laggy as ever... managed to find a few good ones though. PC Gaf still play on a semi-daily basis?

You can add me Memory, my steam name is Jas. I'm usually logged in steam for most of the day.

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone ever have a night where you just can't get into a rhythm and end up sucking the entire night? Last week over a few nights I was on a roll with like a 2 and 3 k/d ratio and racking up tons of points, but last night I just couldn't pull it together and was getting like .7 k/d. Just seemed like everyone was outgunning and outrunning me.

vaelic

Banned
CrankyJay said:
Anyone ever have a night where you just can't get into a rhythm and end up sucking the entire night? Last week over a few nights I was on a roll with like a 2 and 3 k/d ratio and racking up tons of points, but last night I just couldn't pull it together and was getting like .7 k/d. Just seemed like everyone was outgunning and outrunning me.
yep. game fatigue. it's kind of like when you're stuck on a puzzle forever, leave for half hour come back and you solve it in 5 minutes

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Massa said:
I believe the main goal of the beta is to stress their servers so that launch isn't as catastrophic as usual for DICE, not gather feedback on balance issues (which can be done post release) or find bugs (which they already have a plate full of I'm sure).

This is correct. And that can happen one month before launch. Hence, September.

Dreamgazer said:
wb man.
Thought you got perm banned or something.

Nah, I just got caught up the whirlwind of temp. bans during the PSN outage, heh. And thanks. Lurking isn't fun D:

Jas said:
You can add me Memory, my steam name is Jas. I'm usually logged in steam for most of the day.

Added! ...my steam is the same as my S/N. If I'm on and you want to play some BC2 (or TF2), shoot me an invite. I'm usually idling in EVE online. Gotta make that ISK!

MNC

Finally finished the campaign.

What.

It was enjoyable, but the ending is one big mess.
So you board this plane, not sure what you're supposed to do because fuck there's this powerful weapon on board. Once on board you go fuck it we gon' shoot up the whole shit. Oh, there's the weapon. But it's behind glass. That nothing can break. Except for C4. So let's head to the cockpit and see if Kirilenko is there. Nope, not there. Oh but there he is, talking to the team! "Haha, you'll never defeat me! The weapon is nearly charged!" Welp, let's use that C4 anyhoo. There goes the glass, there goes the weapon sphere (?), there goes the plane. So now we all jump out. Why all the extra effort? Why not crash the plane right from the start? Why head to the cockpit? And they end it all with a cliffhanger. The final cutscene was a bit odd, rejoicing even though no way Russians would stop invading if the weapon was destroyed.

Oh well, enjoyed it all the same!

CatPee

MNC said:
Finally finished the campaign.

What.

It was enjoyable, but the ending is one big mess.
So you board this plane, not sure what you're supposed to do because fuck there's this powerful weapon on board. Once on board you go fuck it we gon' shoot up the whole shit. Oh, there's the weapon. But it's behind glass. That nothing can break. Except for C4. So let's head to the cockpit and see if Kirilenko is there. Nope, not there. Oh but there he is, talking to the team! "Haha, you'll never defeat me! The weapon is nearly charged!" Welp, let's use that C4 anyhoo. There goes the glass, there goes the weapon sphere (?), there goes the plane. So now we all jump out. Why all the extra effort? Why not crash the plane right from the start? Why head to the cockpit? And they end it all with a cliffhanger. The final cutscene was a bit odd, rejoicing even though no way Russians would stop invading if the weapon was destroyed.

Oh well, enjoyed it all the same!

What campaign?

But seriously, the MP is pretty much the "sequel" to it, hence the Russians everywhere. I wish DICE kept track of which team has won more overall and then base the next game on those statistics.

CatPee said:
What campaign?

But seriously, the MP is pretty much the "sequel" to it, hence the Russians everywhere. I wish DICE kept track of which team has won more overall and then base the next game on those statistics.
no way, save that for BC4! BC3 has to explain the events between BC1 and BC2!

TheSeks

The Faceless Master said:
no way, save that for BC4! BC3 has to explain the events between BC1 and BC2!

Whatever did happen to that gold they stole, used in Gold Rush?

JJD

Sorry meppi, the game froze!

Hey, what's up with everyone playing hardcore this days? Rock, Olimpia...everyone I join!
I don't mind hardcore, but it's even more frustrating with randoms...

olimpia84

JJD said:
Sorry meppi, the game froze!

Hey, what's up with everyone playing hardcore this days? Rock, Olimpia...everyone I join!
I don't mind hardcore, but it's even more frustrating with randoms...

I only play hardcore when I'm invited by my other 'non-gaf' friends who, for some reason, play that mode exclusively.

TheSeks

olimpia84 said:
I only play hardcore when I'm invited by my other 'non-gaf' friends who, for some reason, play that mode exclusively.

That's because your friends don't know where it's at.

Mode: Softcore
GUI: On
Spots: On
Friendly Fire: On

JJD

Playing lone wolf sniper in hardcore is great. I'm an assault/engineer player, the few times I play recon is usually with the VSS or a shotgun, but on hardcore I go crazy with the bolt action rifles. 1 shot 1 kill, I love to troll the opposition. Some of the most fun I've had with Battlefield in quite a while.

TheSeks

Cuban Legend said:
Just about everyone in PC-GAF doesn't play hardcore in BC2. I love hardcore.

Hardcore wouldn't be bad, if the spot function was useful + higher ticket rate to make up for the faster deaths. As it is, it's just a wank mode for snipers + CoD kiddies that can't play as a team.

CatPee

HC sucks on large open maps, but I enjoy the slower, more careful pace when smaller infantry-focused maps are being played. Plus, it's useful for grabbing gun stars.

TheSeks

CatPee said:
HC sucks on large open maps,

So... all the maps, then? Outside of Squad Rush (lol who plays this?) and Squad Deathmatch (GET THE FUCK BACK TO CoD!).

CatPee

TheSeks said:
So... all the maps, then? Outside of Squad Rush (lol who plays this?) and Squad Deathmatch (GET THE FUCK BACK TO CoD!).

Nah, I like it on Valparaiso (jungle cover), White Pass, Cold War, Arica Harbor CQ, and Oasis CQ.

JJD

WTF??? Played some fine games with Blue089 right know, we lost maybe 2 out of 6, 7 games. I finally reached lvl. 50, played a couple more games and I was done for the night. As soon as I enter the leaderboard to see my shiny new badge I'm still lvl. 49 with some 20.000 points to go!!!

The funny thing is, I think the kills I got were registered in those games, because now I'm 7 kills from the 9x gold star on the first assault rifle.

Fuck this shit, Dice better use my BF3 money to update those pre historic database servers they use! Give Oracle their damn money!

JJD said:
WTF??? Played some fine games with Blue089 right know, we lost maybe 2 out of 6, 7 games. I finally reached lvl. 50, played a couple more games and I was done for the night. As soon as I enter the leaderboard to see my shiny new badge I'm still lvl. 49 with some 20.000 points to go!!!

The funny thing is, I think the kills I got were registered in those games, because now I'm 7 kills from the 9x gold star on the first assault rifle.

Fuck this shit, Dice better use my BF3 money to update those pre historic database servers they use! Give Oracle their damn money!
leaderboards are always behind. check in a day or so.

JJD

leaderboards are always behind. check in a day or so.

Really??? :)

Thank God!!! I was pissed with this. Took me 395 hours to get there...probably my most played game ever. I've spend 16 and a half days of my life on this game...

I'll probably spend much more on BF3 :-(

daviyoung

Banned
Hi guys, quick question.

On the PC version, how do you type into the console. I get that ` opens it up, but what do you press after to get a cursor to appear? I just wanna communicate.

Cheers!

JJD

endlessflood said:
After 543 hours in the game, I finally hit skill level 200 for the first time. Miracles do happen :)

Don't worry about that. Skill level's fucked up. I'm at 663 now, third place on the GAF PS3 list. No way I'm a better player than Dreamgazer, Calion, Rockscar, Faceless, Seks, Olimpia, Danthaman, Hunting-beast or Catpee. And that's just the people I had some experience playing. There's a lot of other guys like Crak that are way better but sadly I haven't played much with.

For me SPM is the best way to measure skill, it's the one thing I always look on other people's profile. That is, if the guy isn't a chopper whore. Those guys have unrealistic SPMs 'cause whoring is the only thing they actually do.

The truth is, you can only gauge a player skill by actually playing with then. With 543 hours of experience under your belt I'm sure you're a fine BF soldier! ;-)

olimpia84

Finally got a kill with the QLZ8 GL on Oasis Rush the other day. It was the last weapon that I needed a kill to have kills on every possible weapon/vehicle in the game. It was a bit of a pain in the rear because I could never find that stationary weapon; makes me think it's an exclusive of Oasis.

olimpia84 said:
Finally got a kill with the QLZ8 GL on Oasis Rush the other day. It was the last weapon that I needed a kill to have kills on every possible weapon/vehicle in the game. It was a bit of a pain in the rear because I could never find that stationary weapon; makes me think it's an exclusive of Oasis.
i still haven't gotten a kill with that on PS3! and yeah, i think it's only on Oasis.

Nabs

daviyoung said:
Hi guys, quick question.

On the PC version, how do you type into the console. I get that ` opens it up, but what do you press after to get a cursor to appear? I just wanna communicate.

Cheers!

If you want it to type in chat, it's usually one of the jkl keys. (all / team / squad).

TheSeks

that's what i want BC3 to explain!

BC3, Prequel to BC2. The Russians find out about the stolen gold and they're pissed.

Meanwhile, Marlowe and company use the gold to fund games in Deconstruction.

BC3-> Deconstruction, Harvest Day, End of the Line remakes with three new maps.

B-B-BUT HARVEST DAY WAS PORTED TO BC2 ALREADY! Shut up, no one gives a damn.

TheSeks said:
BC3, Prequel to BC2. The Russians find out about the stolen gold and they're pissed.

Meanwhile, Marlowe and company use the gold to fund games in Deconstruction.

BC3-> Deconstruction, Harvest Day, End of the Line remakes with three new maps.

B-B-BUT HARVEST DAY WAS PORTED TO BC2 ALREADY! Shut up, no one gives a damn.
re-remake it with the original (well, not exactly, have crates outside) 5 base layout!

keep the conquest layout though!

TheSeks

re-remake it with the original (well, not exactly, have crates outside) 5 base layout!

keep the conquest layout though!

I don't mind either way. No helicopters/air support = good times.

Though I do admit going from BC1->2's remake of it was a bit confusing. "Okay, the next base is over--wait, why is it not in the barns? >:|"

TheSeks

*lights up the Splinter signal*

Explain 2142's Titan mode to me. It's similar to ET:QW's objective mode, right? Just it's Conquest + ET:QW's destroy the enemy HQ right?

Kinda wish I could link 2142's demo to veteran status even though I don't need the number. Playing the demo before it shuts down just to try it out.

meppi

haha, probably had my best game so far on Atacama Desert defense.

Used nothing but the engineer and got a 10000+ score without the aid of chopper whoring or anything like that.
Ended up with 30 medals and holding off the attacking force at the last B crate with a K/D of 54/16.
So hectic and plain fun and awesome all the way through.
Too bad JJD wasn't there for that one.

Been noticing that these past couple of days the quality of games has been a lot higher than in the past couple of months.
Could be that with summer vacation a lot of kids are tired of playing after 10PM since they can play all afternoon.
I thought summer time would be weekend games non-stop but so far it seems to be the opposite. :)

JJD

meppi said:

Used nothing but the engineer and got a 10000+ score without the aid of chopper whoring or anything like that.
Ended up with 30 medals and holding off the attacking force at the last B crate with a K/D of 54/16.

Been noticing that these past couple of days the quality of games has been a lot higher than in the past couple of months.
Could be that with summer vacation a lot of kids are tired of playing after 10PM since they can play all afternoon.
I thought summer time would be weekend games non-stop but so far it seems to be the opposite. :)

That's great man! That White Pass game that you got disconnected at the very end was amazing as well! If I remember correctly you had at least 2x K/D (20 something K and 12 D), if it wasn't for you I wouldn't be able to repel the final enemy wave on bravo. Good games!

Ostinatto

i've been playing this game 800 hours on PS3

i will buy the pc version tomorrow, i wanna know how many people are playing this version, i dont wanna play empty maps :S

any idea?

thanks.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ostinatto said:
i've been playing this game 800 hours on PS3

i will buy the pc version tomorrow, i wanna know how many people are playing this version, i dont wanna play empty maps :S

any idea?

thanks.

There are still plenty of people playing BC2 on the PC. You can always find a game of rush or conquest on the exact map you want.

scogoth

meppi said:

You should start whoring the heli. Got 18,000 once with Spl1nter piloting.

TheSeks

Ostinatto said:

>He thinks Battlefield on PC is dead!
>laughing women.jpg

If 1942 has players to this day playing and hell even the one-month-to-live 2142 has about 22 players playing STILL 4 years after release, BC2 is fine. I really don't get people worrying about PC games. There is generally still a population for most PC games.

xclaw

TheSeks said:
>He thinks Battlefield on PC is dead!
>laughing women.jpg

If 1942 has players to this day playing and hell even the one-month-to-live 2142 has about 22 players playing STILL 4 years after release, BC2 is fine. I really don't get people worrying about PC games. There is generally still a population for most PC games.

Wait, what?

TheSeks

Ostinatto said:
GLAD TO READ THAT

i just bought the game, but i cant find any servers :(

Run BC2 under admin mode. Server browser has issues generally with that or the Windows Firewall IIRC.

meppi

JJD said:
That's great man! That White Pass game that you got disconnected at the very end was amazing as well! If I remember correctly you had at least 2x K/D (20 something K and 12 D), if it wasn't for you I wouldn't be able to repel the final enemy wave on bravo. Good games!
Yeah that one got crazy as well, especially at the end.
I somehow knew that when Mancunian crashed I'd probably be next though.
It's happened several times before at that very spot.
I guess the code just isn't written to cope with so much stuff going on at such a tiny space on the map.

Glad we did win that in the end even if we weren't there to celebrate. :)

The following games were lots of fun as well and I ended up with crazy K/D ratios for some reason, even though I played like I always do and don't worry about going all kamikaze if the situation ask for it.
Normally end up with a 1.2 most of the time, sometimes quite a bit less, which is why I always have been sub 1 on the stats server.
Don't mind it though. But I have to say that seeing those kinds of stats after such a great set of games is the icing on the cake. :)

Should be able to play a lot more the coming weeks as I have 2 weeks off starting tonight. :D

So I'm basically an exclusive COD player despite all the cheap shit and camping that goes on in the series. And I decided to buy BFBC2 Ultimate addition to get my feet wet and warmed up for BF3 (never played a battlefield game until 3 days ago)..... and holy shitfuck i love this game and will no longer be playing black ops as much! From the Squads, the class system, destrcution, the fucking sound, it all just feels like I'm playing a war movie like black hawk down or saving private Ryan. Feels damn good too, like I just lost my virginity.

USF

Gordon0Freeman said:
So I'm basically an exclusive COD player despite all the cheap shit and camping that goes on in the series. And I decided to buy BFBC2 Ultimate addition to get my feet wet and warmed up for BF3 (never played a battlefield game until 3 days ago)..... and holy shitfuck i love this game and will no longer be playing black ops as much! From the Squads, the class system, destrcution, the fucking sound, it all just feels like I'm playing a war movie like black hawk down or saving private Ryan. Feels damn good too, like I just lost my virginity.
QFT

CrankyJay

Banned
Fuck servers with K/D ratio kicks.

I hardly ever have a high K/D ratio in a game, but I had an allstar game last night where I got auto-kicked for a consistently high ratio. I was 50/15 with a few minutes left.

Do I lose all my points from that match if I am kicked?

-Silver-

I'm not too sure about the PC version, but the console versions saves what you've done periodically during the match. So unless you managed to get all those kills within a seriously short span of time that the game didn't get to save, you're safe.

Top Bottom