• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Holy shit I just remembered the game I had with 8bitgeorge recently on Harvest Day. We were on defense and stole the attackers' buggy.

Lets just say... we tore shit up in a car and it was fun as hell. Anyway... great driving george. That was hilariously awesome.

edit: Btw... I think one of my new favorite vehicles is the AA Car on Port Valdez attack... I've got that figured out now. Pilot's grenade launcher is like a death blanket once you get yourself dialed in. Took me until lvl 48 to finally master it... but I love it now.

dralla said:
i get heavy metal a ton for some reason when i do quick match with 'any' map. playing engineer and staying at B is usually a good way to win and get a lot of points. people still under estimate the power of the VADS, more points for me i guess :]

Excuse my ignorance, but what is 'VADS'?

Kyaw

The super OP anti-air minigun.

vads_by_hell_jim-d2wt1pt.png

GenericUser

questionmark said:
This shit is ridiculous. I don't understand what the hell DICE were thinking.

to be honest, I wish dice placed some more of these babies on the maps. The "default" AA gun sucks, especially when you consider that there is no other REAL anti air gun available in the game.

I honestly think helicopters are a little overpowered. I almost feel helpless when some jerk in his helicoper rapes my tank and there is almost nothing i could do about it.

sponk said:
The "default" AA gun sucks, especially when you consider that there is no other REAL anti air gun available in the game.

Not even close. If the helicopter is not on the other side of the map, and if it didn't start shooting you before you got in, then you do not have a single excuse for not shooting down the helicopter in 2-4 bursts.

sponk said:
I honestly think helicopters are a little overpowered. I almost feel helpless when some jerk in his helicoper rapes my tank and there is almost nothing i could do about it.

Don't know if you play on PC or console. I've heard these sentiments from others who play on console, but I can't comment on that as I've never played it. But helicopters are fine on PC. The only ones I ever see complaining about them are the awful players.

GenericUser

questionmark said:
Not even close. If the helicopter is not on the other side of the map, and if it didn't start shooting you before you got in, then you do not have a single excuse for not shooting down the helicopter in 2-4 bursts.

Don't know if you play on PC or console. I've heard these sentiments from others who play on console, but I can't comment on that as I've never played it. But helicopters are fine on PC. The only ones I ever see complaining about them are the awful players.

hmm, maybe its a console thing, i am playing on the ps3. Obviously because of the gravitiy that has its impact on the bullets, its probably harder on the console to track the helicopter and move your crosshair to where you think the heli will be.

played bc2 minutes ago and i had to shoot 10 to 20 bursts to shoot the bastard down.

on the other hand, once i get my hands on the vulcan AA, I almost pity the pilot :-D.

Snowballo

The famouse Win/Lose bug of the game: could you explain it?

Sometimes you win a game and in the final sequence you get the "You lose" screen. A lot of people think it's a bug. Me too.

Talkin' to a friend he suggested me it could be just the result of the last 2 battles on the same map, so the calculation is not made considering the last game but the last two in the same map.

Example:

Map: Arica, 2 matches.
Game type: Conquest
Match one: we win take our opponents to 0, while we are at 100 (0-100)
Match two: the take us to 0 while they are at 120 (120-0)
+100-120=-20
We lose the game.

What do you think?

meppi

Snowballo said:

Sometimes you win a game and in the final sequence you get the "You lose" screen. A lot of people think it's a bug. Me too.

Talkin' to a friend he suggested me it could be just the result of the last 2 battles on the same map, so the calculation is not made considering the last game but the last two in the same map.

Example:

+100-120=-20
We lose the game.

What do you think?

nah, don't think so.
We've had plenty of nights where we were rolling hours on end and still got the "you lose" screen at the end of games. Doesn't seem to be any consistent reason behind it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You don't lose the game, even if it says you lose. Check the win the round medals.

Choppers on consoles are OP as fuck. The VADS and ZU are equalizers, but even a good chopper pilot can take you out. As a chopper pilot I only really fear other chopper pilots and AAs. However, as an infantryman there are plenty of ways to take out a chopper. We've discussed that before in this very thread.

The VADS is not OP imo and there should be more competent counter measures for choppers around the map.

CatPee

Choppers on consoles are OP due to the ability to circle strafe near-indefinitely thanks to the joysticks. Can't really maintain much of a strafe on PC with M+KB.

olimpia84

Snowballo said:

Example:

+100-120=-20
We lose the game.

What do you think?
I'll keep an eye out for this and see if it's true although I know for a fact that you still get the conquest winner pin even if it says you lost.

Eric WK

I've been trying to play on 360 for the past hour and keep getting a "Failed to connect to EA Online" message while people on my friends list are playing fine.

Frustrating.

questionmark said:
No there is not. Aim at someone on the other side of the map and you will hit them.

Whether there is bullet drop or not, you still have to lead choppers properly and that (while easy for some) can be a challenge for people trying to take out a god tier chopper pilot.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
If DICE doesn't do anything about Chopper Strafing on the consoles I may just pass on BF3. Either that, or avoid all helicopter maps. Shit is downright stupid.

I swear it's the only way people get to level 50, farm chopper maps by strafing like a bunch of fucking douchebags.

Evolved1

Tomat said:
If DICE doesn't do anything about Chopper Strafing on the consoles I may just pass on BF3. Either that, or avoid all helicopter maps. Shit is downright stupid.

I swear it's the only way people get to level 50, farm chopper maps by strafing like a bunch of fucking douchebags.

Now there will be jets. 0_o

Wonder how that'll play out.

As far as 50's... that's just time served and a decent SPM. I'm lagging behind most of gaf due to periods of inactivity and never playing as a point farm medic. But even I'm about to hit 50. And I don't ever strafe!

Most people who have been active since launch should be 50's.

Tomat

I'm actually looking forward to the jets. The planes were the best part about Battlefield 1943. Making a run on a base with a jet will probably take quiet a bit longer than strafing a base with constant missiles and the gunner.

Evolved1

Tomat said:
I'm actually looking forward to the jets. The planes were the best part about Battlefield 1943. Making a run on a base with a jet will probably take quiet a bit longer than strafing a base with constant missiles and the gunner.

My entire view on choppers is that they'd be perfectly fine if you could only make strafing runs or hover around (normal piloting) at your own risk.

The circle strafing (on consoles) imo is retarded. Fucking thing should eat dirt if a pilot tries to hold a tight circle like that. BAM. Game balanced.

DICE is probably my favorite developer... but they do retarded shit sometimes. Like Huey health on consoles. They never made adjustments. And never addressed circle strafing on consoles either. For all this talk about wanting to make games "accessible" or whatever they will ignore something that is completely frustrating for everyone but the two knuckleheads in the chopper. How is that fun for a newb exactly? They have no weapons or unlocks. Everyone knows the maps and some guy is just demolishing them every time they spawn. Even the vets have a hard time countering good pilots. New players are just fodder. Not very accessible.

abuC

Helicopters in BC1 were much worse if the pilot was skilled, the ability to swerve low to the ground made them almost impossible to take out. I played against some of the top 10 pilots and it was a nightmare, it literally came down to a lucky shot to take them out. That said the issue with helicopters in BC2 is that circle straffing is way too easy and almost anyone can learn to do it. In BC1 there was a huge gap between great pilots and everyone else, in BC2 there's very little.

TheSeks

abuC said:
Helicopters in BC1 were much worse if the pilot was skilled, the ability to swerve low to the ground made them almost impossible to take out. I played against some of the top 10 pilots and it was a nightmare, it literally came down to a lucky shot to take them out. That said the issue with helicopters in BC2 is that circle straffing is way too easy and almost anyone can learn to do it. In BC1 there was a huge gap between great pilots and everyone else, in BC2 there's very little.

I can agree with that. With a little time I wasn't too fearful with helicopters in BC2 as I was in BC1. BC1 has to rebalance/fight inertia to steady up. Made a weird change of pace from doing circles with BC2's copters.

That said: BC1's AA also had a certain range limit for it's shots, but those shots were POWERFUL and also able to be shot in more than three/volleys until you hit the overheat limit. Was good once you hit someone to continue to fire and screw with them. Unlike BC2's where the power is as useful as a wet fart but has an infinite range.

VADS is the only good AA in BC2, I feel. But we've been down this road and my hate of the helicopters in BC2 already.

Smokey

Can somebody help me out here...

I am trying to play BC2 on PC. I try and find a quick match or load server lists and it says none are available. I check my Windows Firewall settings and BC2 is allowed. I disable my firewall and I still get the same message when trying to find a game.

What is going on here? I downloaded the game from D2D a couple of months ago if that helps any.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Smokey said:
Can somebody help me out here...

I am trying to play BC2 on PC. I try and find a quick match or load server lists and it says none are available. I check my Windows Firewall settings and BC2 is allowed. I disable my firewall and I still get the same message when trying to find a game.

What is going on here? I downloaded the game from D2D a couple of months ago if that helps any.
Reset the filters on the server browser.

Smokey

Stallion Free said:
Reset the filters on the server browser.

I did and nothing.

I just went to game updater in the Direct2Drive file for the game and it looks like I had an older version of the game? It's updating now so maybe that was it.

So I had loaned my copy out to a friend a couple of months ago and it came back scratched. Tonight it has succumb to its wounds and will no longer read in my xbox. I installed my room mate's copy to the hdd and still no luck. I am cry.

Tomat said:

Man... Choppers must be so much easier to control with the control pad... I can imagine even!

I play on PC so it's not as easy. I even have a Joystick and Throttle but it's still not so easy to not get knocked out - I can survive a time and do a fair bit of damage, and with my joystick I consider that to be the ultimate way to fly a helicopter (as like real life) but I find it difficult to make a lot of hits on tanks that I'm trying to hit.

That said, I haven't been flying for a huge amount of time with the Joystick and Throttle setup, I've got flying and maneuvering really well down pat and as I said I can last pretty long... just have trouble doing any damage. Those big arse hellfire missiles though... WOO boy they are f'n sick but hard to aim and hit with them, but when you do KABOOM.

I love flying, so I pretty much spend most of my time trying to practice in the choppers and I can't wait for the jets in BF3, was a big BF2 and 2142 player, didn't like BC1 so much, but loving BC2, been such a long time since I played BF like this and I'm so loving it!

If only the gunner was good and knew to pain targets properly with the right click... *arg*

I'm still a BC2 newb as well, only up to level 18.

Tomat

I think I read in this thread that the helicopters were tweaked a bit for consoles, so I don't think it's just the control sticks.

Evolved1

Genesis Knight said:
Flying a heli on console is still pretty tough, yeah. They don't control like any other heli I've played in a game.

Default setup isn't any good for piloting (imo). I had to go into Onslaught mode and mess around with the controls until I found a setup I liked. I found one configuration that made circle strafing easy as hell... but it wasn't comfortable for normal piloting. So I use a config now that feels really good for normal piloting but doesn't allow me to really circle strafe easily. Fine by me. Since most of my piloting these days is just hovering a blackhawk or Hind.

I think its pretty apparent that console physics are different from PC physics when it comes to BC2's choppers.

Console choppers are practically spinning on their center of gravity like a magnetic top, PC choppers have much more grounded/realistic yaw/pitch/lift/and weight transfer limits.

It's so apparent that I'm 100% sure if you were to even perfectly map the controls of a PC BC2 install for the chopper on a dual-analog joystick, you wouldn't be able to fly it the same way as with the console version at all.

ColonialRaptor said:
If only the gunner was good and knew to pain targets properly with the right click... *arg*

A good gunner will never use alternative fire unless he is 100% certain that there is no one with tracers on the other team. Smoke for the pilot and damage for the gunner, always.

questionmark said:
A good gunner will never use alternative fire unless he is 100% certain that there is no one with tracers on the other team. Smoke for the pilot and damage for the gunner, always.
in attack choppers, i've been using smoke less often lately and going with damage instead, it's an interesting tradeoff...

sw33tclyde said:
So I had loaned my copy out to a friend a couple of months ago and it came back scratched. Tonight it has succumb to its wounds and will no longer read in my xbox. I installed my room mate's copy to the hdd and still no luck. I am cry.
this exact reason is why I don't lend games out, I would make him at least cover half for a new copy

Ocho

Am I the only one who terribly envies Party Chat on the 360? What we could accomplish with 8 organized Gaffers on the PS3 side. :(

TheSeks

ochobit said:
Am I the only one who terribly envies Party Chat on the 360? What we could accomplish with 8 organized Gaffers on the PS3 side. :(

> He never played 12 player GAF that rolls a server so hard that it's empty within 10 minutes.
> laughinggirls.jpg

Yes, you are.

Ocho

TheSeks said:
> He never played 12 player GAF that rolls a server so hard that it's empty within 10 minutes.
> laughinggirls.jpg

Yes, you are.

You have a point, sir! I certainly have, and even with 6 gaffers we still make 'em all quit (at least the last couple of days we have), but I'm talking about the fun factor (
also when we're 6 or more gaffers and we're somehow losing

Having to squad up with some randoms without having a direct contact with the other full GAF squad is no fun. Points for evolved for always joining the lone GAFfer.

Ocho

CatPee said:
Me, Evolved, and ejas were using mics yesterday. Bit of a rarity though. Instincts are all you need to steamroll.
I usually have my mic on (although English isn't my primary language and somehow limits my interaction).

I can never understand what Ejas is saying, tho. Speak louder, dude. Or fix your mic volume. :p

The Faceless Master said:
in attack choppers, i've been using smoke less often lately and going with damage instead, it's an interesting tradeoff...

Interesting till the warning starts flashing on your screen. :p But damage is the second best option, unless you and your gunner both have alt. fire, alternatively if you have alot of people on your team using tracers, which I find rare these days as most people prefer AT4 and/or handguns. The hellfire rocket or whatever it is, is such a beast. Hitting something without it being marked is one of the greatest feelings in the game.

bjscott05

Any tips for shooting down helicopters; mainly attack ones? I've played every BF game other than 2142 but am having a real difficult time taking them down with anything other than AA fire.

questionmark said:
Interesting till the warning starts flashing on your screen. :p But damage is the second best option, unless you and your gunner both have alt. fire, alternatively if you have alot of people on your team using tracers, which I find rare these days as most people prefer AT4 and/or handguns. The hellfire rocket or whatever it is, is such a beast. Hitting something without it being marked is one of the greatest feelings in the game.
if they actually trace me and shoot me down, i'll switch to smoke! they gotta earn it first though.

Top Bottom