• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Jas

abuC

Jas said:
Nah, pretty sure there's a server browser. When he says "You go straight from Battlelog to playing. No splash screens, no menus. Just straight to the playing. "

That's how it worked in the alpha, when you pick a server it launches the game and you go directly into the round without any splash screens or menus.

I don't think you need to worry :)
How did you like the alpha?

Jas

abuC said:
How did you like the alpha?

I had some mixed feelings on it. It was an infantry map which I'm not a big fan of to begin with, haha.

The one big concern I had was seeing the combination of prone and people taking less damage to kill. People weren't all that eager to get out of cover to set m-coms. :)

The spawn system was bugged so not sure what to think of it yet.
New revive system worked great.
Being able to take down trees and use them as cover was cool.
All the guns in the alpha felt good.

Hoping the beta has a more vehicle focused map. I can see myself playing more Conquest than Rush this time.

Good games today PS3 GAF! Got a chance to play with a bunch of you between this afternoon and tonight.

TheSeks said:
You kids and your moneys should donate to buy me a new PC for BF3. >_>
oh, it's not that i have money, it's actually the opposite... i still have a decent amount of microsoft points from that MSN Autos thing a few years ago... i could get the GoD version and sell my disk!

OldJadedGamer said:
Believe it or not, the VIP pass is not included.
yeah, i know. you actually have to contact EA Support to get a VIP Code! not that it would matter to me... wait, i could sell that too!

I've been reading more and more game chat regarding cheats (PC game). I guess I don't know what these consist of or if, what I really think, these people just suck.

I know I've been killed from an all not too likely spot but nothing outrageous. I just hate all the complaining in game etc.

ZeroCoin

Evolved1 said:
Too bad you can't DL just the MP on PSN/LIVE... this way it wouldn't kill the drives spinning the disc.

Could always just install the game if you have a 360 copy. Of course that doesn't save you from having to pop a disc in when you want to play.

Are any other gaffers having connection problems with the 360 version? I thought that a lot more people would be complaining in this thread and on gaf in general. It's been going on for over a month for me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ZeroCoin said:
Could always just install the game if you have a 360 copy. Of course that doesn't save you from having to pop a disc in when you want to play.

Disc has to spin up for a minute for DRM purposes which I think would be worse than having the game be "streaming" constantly in the first place because quick read-write checks seem like they would do more harm in the long run than good.

abuC

Jas said:
I had some mixed feelings on it. It was an infantry map which I'm not a big fan of to begin with, haha.

The one big concern I had was seeing the combination of prone and people taking less damage to kill. People weren't all that eager to get out of cover to set m-coms. :)

The spawn system was bugged so not sure what to think of it yet.
New revive system worked great.
Being able to take down trees and use them as cover was cool.
All the guns in the alpha felt good.

Hoping the beta has a more vehicle focused map. I can see myself playing more Conquest than Rush this time.

Good games today PS3 GAF! Got a chance to play with a bunch of you between this afternoon and tonight.
Thanks for the writeup Jas, you gonna play on the Gaf server I hope.

Evolved1 said:
Dream, are you playing or what? I keep trying to join you, but you're idle or something.

Good god tell me... you aren't playing single player!?!?!

sorry. little cousin was playing whatever game left in the system.

And boy does the kid suck...really worried about his future (inability to do trial and error or change behavior when necessary...)

TheSeks said:
Disc has to spin up for a minute for DRM purposes which I think would be worse than having the game be "streaming" constantly in the first place because quick read-write checks seem like they would do more harm in the long run than good.
how would that be worse than continuous usage?

TheSeks

The Faceless Master said:
how would that be worse than continuous usage?

Short bursts of the laser wearing it out faster than continuous usage.

Kinda like DVD/CD disk degrading. After a certain number of uses they aren't usable anymore. Same idea with the laser. Just takes longer because you're running the game from the drive after that quick check instead of a constant stream that wears the drive down instead of the laser.

Jas

abuC said:
Thanks for the writeup Jas, you gonna play on the Gaf server I hope.

Definitely, I'll probably donate a little to the server after they decide on which GSP they are going to use.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
X-Frame said:
Is there any way to tell if an anti-tank mine is friendly or an enemy's?

If you aim at it... your crosshair will disappear if it's friendly. And you can spot enemy explosives, but this isn't always 100% reliable due to jank and cooldown.

JJD

Evolved1 said:
If you aim at it... your crosshair will disappear if it's friendly. And you can spot enemy explosives, but this isn't always 100% reliable due to jank and cooldown.

I knew about spotting the mines, but the crosshair disappearing is news to me!

About the mines...it would be easier if you always listen to your squad mates warning you on the headset right Dream? Lol! Sorry about that one! ;-)

God damn I'm rusty as hell...

XM8 Compact now has a platinum status and I'm 85 kills away from getting a platinum star for the PP2000

Once that is done, I'm finished with the SMG guns! Although, I would still have to get a platinum star for the SpecAct SMG, and all the other SA guns, but I'm not gonna waste my time with the SpecAct weapons. They served their overall purpose. They'll stay at Gold 1

Evolved1

lazybones18 said:
XM8 Compact now has a platinum status and I'm 85 kills away from getting a platinum star for the PP2000

Once that is done, I'm finished with the SMG guns! Although, I would still have to get a platinum star for the SpecAct SMG, and all the other SA guns, but I'm not gonna waste my time with the SpecAct weapons. They served their overall purpose. They'll stay at Gold 1

Since you've spent a lot of time with the SMG's, I'm curious about your opinion, i.e. best to worst, optics vs ironsights.

I've spent the majority of my BC2 time with SMGs, so it's always interesting to hear other people's impressions on them.

I pretty much can't play BC2 anymore. My hype for BF3 is killing me and I just don't want to play anything but that game. BC2 has been great to me and is easily my favorite online shooter, OF ALL TIME. It has been great BC2, but your sequel just looks too hot and I need me the new hotness.

ZeroCoin

TheSeks said:
Short bursts of the laser wearing it out faster than continuous usage.

So you're saying that the initial DRM check of the disc by itself is more harmful to the xbox than an initial DRM check followed by continuous usage of the drive? The entire purpose of the install process is to keep the dvd drive usage to the absolute minimum.

Evolved1 said:
Since you've spent a lot of time with the SMG's, I'm curious about your opinion, i.e. best to worst, optics vs ironsights.

I've spent the majority of my BC2 time with SMGs, so it's always interesting to hear other people's impressions on them.

I play engineer a lot. I love the Uzi and PP-2000 the most. The Avtomat is arguably the best smg though. The UMP is fun to use as well. I don't really care for the XM8-C and the AK74u isn't horrible, but sometimes it feel too weak. Scar is also average. Over all I enjoy smgs a lot in BC2.

Also, I use ironsights exclusively as engineer. I always use extra explosives. I need six AT mines or eight AT4 rockets!

X-Frame said:
Is there any way to tell if an anti-tank mine is friendly or an enemy's?

Besides what evolve said, you can also just look at it, press select and see if there's an audio queue ("enemy tank mines over here!")

That or if you have v-elec equipped, then an enemy mine will appear on the mini-map.

I'm only rank 10, but I've been playing a lot of this on PS3 just because I'm so hyped for BF3. Any PS3 players want to add me? :)

PSN ID: SOGInferno

CatPee

ZeroCoin said:
So you're saying that the initial DRM check of the disc by itself is more harmful to the xbox than an initial DRM check followed by continuous usage of the drive? The entire purpose of the install process is to keep the dvd drive usage to the absolute minimum.

The same concept applies to just about every light-emitting electronic component, really. Turning it off and on constantly wears it out faster than if it were to just be switched on for a long while. Ever wonder why your parents told you to not flip the light switch on and off real fast?

That said, I'm unsure whether the install function only does the DRM check once upon startup or does it a few times throughout play, so who knows.

TheSeks

CatPee said:
That said, I'm unsure whether the install function only does the DRM check once upon startup or does it a few times throughout play, so who knows.

It does it once, AFAIK. But still, constantly going to Dashboard in ragequit/freezes would add that wear up quickly.

zv0MI.jpg

Blackhawk gunning for LoW CelticLewis :D

GenericUser

zv0MI.jpg

Blackhawk gunning for LoW CelticLewis :D

i cant shake of the feeling that you are "that annoying heli guy" that makes my superior tank warfare more difficult than it should be.

explain yourself ;)

I never touch aircrafts, expecially in bfbc2 on consoles. Sometimes when i get killed by an aircraft, i feel like this is a "cheap" way to kill somebody. Not that it actually is cheap, but its just a feeling.

in a tank on the other hand, you kind of pull all the attention to to yourself because everyone wants to kill that tank and you really feel like that badass that f*cks up the party (when you suceed, if not, you feel like an asshole for trying it)

sponk said:
i cant shake of the feeling that you are "that annoying heli guy" that makes my superior tank warfare more difficult than it should be.

explain yourself ;)

I never touch aircrafts, expecially in bfbc2 on consoles. Sometimes when i get killed by an aircraft, i feel like this is a "cheap" way to kill somebody. Not that it actually is cheap, but its just a feeling.

in a tank on the other hand, you kind of pull all the attention to to yourself because everyone wants to kill that tank and you really feel like that badass that f*cks up the party (when you suceed, if not, you feel like an asshole for trying it)
i'm that annoying guy on land, sea and air, in and out of vehicles and mounted emplacements! as far as pulling attention goes, in that Valparaiso game, all eyes were on the blackhawk... so many RPG's! SO MANY!!!

seriously, with all the dirt cheap SoC's out there with hardware HD encoding, why has no company released a simple device that records/encodes 720p/1080p component/hdmi to a file on a USB hard drive or SD Card!? there are TONS of cheap HD Camcorders that do a decent enough job for people who aren't too worried about quality!

i'm that annoying guy on land, sea and air, in and out of vehicles and mounted emplacements! as far as pulling attention goes, in that Valparaiso game, all eyes were on the blackhawk... so many RPG's! SO MANY!!!

lol, you are indeed that guy faceless :)

Not a slight against you, but the difference is that there isn't a counter to the 'flying fortress' Blackhawk technique... choppers are just broken in BFBC2 :(

They're not always exploited the way that they can be (much like C4'd UAVs were not always exploited even when they were still effective), but when they are the games are simply not fun.

endlessflood said:
lol, you are indeed that guy faceless :)

Not a slight against you, but the difference is that there isn't a counter to the 'flying fortress' Blackhawk technique... choppers are just broken in BFBC2 :(

They're not always exploited the way that they can be (much like C4'd UAVs were not always exploited even when they were still effective), but when they are the games are simply not fun.
i dunno, i didn't get any hatemail despite racking up 5 nemesis pins, maybe they were having fun after all! i doubt it though...

and hey now, C4 UAV doesn't take that much skill, flying fortress blackhawk requires a skilled pilot and gunner!

you know people are annoyed with that thing in the air when they break out the M95's!

All engineer guns officially under platinum status (except for the SpecAct, but fuck that shit!)

Tried to figure out which gun would I use to replace a SMG, and I decided to go with the G3. It already has a gold star, so I figured I should work towards getting platinum for it. It does feel like it holds less than 20 bullets per clip, but it probably only feels that way cause I haven't used it in so long

And as for best/worst optics/iron sights for the engineer guns, I honestly couldn't give you my overall opinion. I don't use optics when I'm an engineer, and it's been so long since I used some of the other guns, I can hardly remember what they look like. I will say this though: I really do hate the look of the iron sight on the PP2000. It's shape bothers me

Evolved1

lazybones18 said:
All engineer guns officially under platinum status (except for the SpecAct, but fuck that shit!)

Tried to figure out which gun would I use to replace a SMG, and I decided to go with the G3. It already has a gold star, so I figured I should work towards getting platinum for it. It does feel like it holds less than 20 bullets per clip, but it probably only feels that way cause I haven't used it in so long

And as for best/worst optics/iron sights for the engineer guns, I honestly couldn't give you my overall opinion. I don't use optics when I'm an engineer, and it's been so long since I used some of the other guns, I can hardly remember what they look like. I will say this though: I really do hate the look of the iron sight on the PP2000. It's shape bothers me

Do you have a plat for the Thompson? I'm an SMG guy and have been using that one lately... it's really good. I'd say up there with the Uzi & Avtomat.

Evolved1

I wonder if they could do a BC spinoff on the Vita.

Like, they have BF proper on consoles/PC... but they could milk their (now well established) Bad Company brand recognition onto the Vita. I wonder if the little machine could handle a dumbed-down BC2. (new maps!)

Evolved1

Coldsnap said:
Anyone want to help my buddy and I get the hardcore onslaught trophies. Add me on PSN ColdsnapBryan

Yes, I still need a few of these. But I have a huge paper to write, so I probably won't be playing until Thursday evening/weekend hours.

Coldsnap

Evolved1 said:
Yes, I still need a few of these. But I have a huge paper to write, so I probably won't be playing until Thursday evening/weekend hours.

Cool, your on both our friends list so that works. I got a ton of homework too, so lets do it later in the week.

th3dude

Dat round, Faceless!

I've really been getting back into this game since the hype for BF3 is so high. Really a different experience on PC (I put many hours into PS3 version) but I'm really enjoying it.

TheSeks

How about that leaked 360 airplane rail-shooter footage, guys? Goddamn, it looks good even in blocky 320p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEbAzF8OcMo

Also if a "DICE employee" on /v/ is to be believed: For Max:

DICE employee anonymous said:
You won't be able to max the game out at 1920x1080 and get 60fps on current hardware, even SLI'd 580 GTX or cross-fired HD6990 aren't enough for ultra-settings.

You'll have to wait until 3rd gen DX11 cards.

Welp, guess I can sit back and wait with my PC pre-order for a bit. Maybe this time I won't bomb the page exam and can actually get a job. >_>

(Also since DICE is reading this: Someone should put my name on one of the helmets of the infantry. *wink wink*)

me said:
>>110153870

Okay, if you're really a DICE employee: Disabled gamers that are HoH should have text chat as an option on consoles. Just saying, esp. after dumping 700 hours and about 25-50 hours in BC2/BC1 respectively on consoles.

Only reason (besides higher player count and GRAPHIXXXX) I'm considering buying a new PC for BF3 in the first place: Text chat.

DICE employee #1 said:
we won't have text chat on consoles, but we do have team-wide VOIP, with option of switching to channel for your squad

DICE employee #2 said:
No text chat on console, sorry. Hard to fit lots of extra on the console version given the screen resolution, without cluttering stuff up too much. I recommend getting the PC version if you're real keen on it. This is a PC game after all.

DICE just shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much you know about trying to herd a squad of cats and asking for AMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO in shitty console messages (I am an expert)...

Top Bottom