• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Played through this game on Saturday and Sunday.

I have to say this is SO awesome!

I played through the game on 3rd Climax and was totally surprised when I unlocked
the Super Mario 64 Golden LP and the weapon that comes with it! Holy hell, that Chain Chomp is actually a really fucking awesome weapon! Chainsaws on hands and Chain Chomp on feet makes all the battles quite easy, though I still prefer the Chainsaws on both hand and feet to farm Halos.

I also like how Enzo had more screentime than in the first game, though I they seemed to cut back on Luka. He was in maybe three or so chapters, whereas in Bayo1 he had way more screentime all throughout the game.

Granted Loki kinda took his place here, but still, I would've appreciated it if Luka got around as much screentime here as he did in Bayo1.

What was really awesome were the final four or five chapters, starting from where you're thrown back to the Witch Hunts in Vigrid.
My jaw fucking dropped when I came to the part where they recreated the opening of Bayo1. I love timey wimey stuff like this.

Overall this is a solid 10/10 game for me.
Bayo1 was pretty fucking awesome, but Bayo2 seems to up that ante even if just a tiny bit.

Everything about this game was great.
And I'll gladly replay it again on Infinite Climax difficulty.

EDIT: Also, what I totally forgot:
Fighting
the masked Lumen Sage
is TOTALLY BALLS TO THE WALLS AWESOME!!!
It's such a fast fight, it's almost like a hardcore high-level 1-on-1 fighting game.
Actually, P* should make a 1-on-1 Bayonetta fighting game. Just throw in a whole lot of different characters with different movesets and different weapons, use this game's fighting engine and I'll gladly pay full price for that kind of sweet sweet awesomeness.

So after waiting for my country to bring the game and it failing to do so, I ordered it from Amazon. Just reached to me today and finally I could bust open the pro controller! Will try the game after finishing from Sunset Overdrive.

PVSvmwG.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm... Alraune isn't meant to deal big damage I take it?

Oh yeah, any tips on using Salamandra and hammer?

HOLY SHIT MAKED LUMEN PART 2

THE LOOK ON MY MOTHERFUCKING FACE

I HAD TO PAUSE EVERY 30 SECONDS TO RECONCILE WHAT I WAS SEEING

THEY TOPPED JEANNE PART 3 - TWICE

spekkeh

Banned
So much pain in my hand after the paradiso gates fight. And a nice stone statue afterwards ugh. Gamepad was not made for this game. Or maybe I need to be less cramped and more zen when I lay furious witch retribution on the angels. More people problems with that? The fight after, with the
Lumen sage
was incredibly awesome though.

So much pain in my hand after the paradiso gates fight. And a nice stone statue afterwards ugh. Gamepad was not made for this game. Or maybe I need to be less cramped and more zen when I lay furious witch retribution on the angels. More people problems with that? The fight after, with the
Lumen sage
was incredibly awesome though.

I'd suggest picking a pro controller if you can. While the gamepad works well enough, having a good grip and something that accommodates your hands is really important in a tense game like this. On the gamepad most your palm isn't in contact with anything which feels odd to me.

Yeeeeep. It's goddamn hype as fuck.

I didn't even think it was possible. Even the oversized bosses are better this time. The flying which I wasn't sure about is just what the game needed to liven those fights up.

I thought I was become jaded or something BUT THIS SHIT HERE

Hmm... Alraune isn't meant to deal big damage I take it?

Oh yeah, any tips on using Salamandra and hammer?

I've barely used the hammer but the chainsaws are pretty easy. Swing and hold the button until the chainsaws turn bright red and then release the button for a followup. You'll probably tear through most enemies quickly since it does a lot of damage and it's super easy to get the timing down. You can do this with the command normals like lock-on+back+attack or 360+attack.

I like using the chainsaws on the hand slot and the whips on the feet. A good tactic for bosses is to use Undine to freeze and then go ham with the chainsaws.

WHY IS MOON RIVER ONLY IN THIS GAME TWICE?!? It's an amazing version of that song!

The entire soundtrack in this game is something to behold.

Boss Doggie

I've barely used the hammer but the chainsaws are pretty easy. Swing and hold the button until the chainsaws turn bright red and then release the button for a followup. You'll probably tear through most enemies quickly since it does a lot of damage and it's super easy to get the timing down. You can do this with the command normals like lock-on+back+attack or 360+attack.

I like using the chainsaws on the hand slot and the whips on the feet. A good tactic for bosses is to use Undine to freeze and then go ham with the chainsaws.

Hmm I'll try that. Was wondering why chainsaw isn't doing WWs.

DukeBobby

WHY IS MOON RIVER ONLY IN THIS GAME TWICE?!? It's an amazing version of that song!

The entire soundtrack in this game is something to behold.

Moon River > Fly Me To The Moon > Mysterious Destiny >>> Tomorrow is Mine

Tomorrow is Mine has grown on me a little, but I'm still not a big fan of it.

The hammer has 2 different 360 attacks depending on in what direction you're spinning. right side you start spinning around 'til you stop. Left side after the third spin you see a symbol like that one when you parry an attack, which sends most smaller enemies flying.
Charge the hammer for added damage output for 5 sec.

Tomorrow is Mine has grown on me a little, but I'm still not a big fan of it.

I like the melody of Mysterious Destiny more but those lyrics wore thin on me real quick. Tomorrow is Mine a little better on that front.

I miss the jingle for the boss climax attacks from the first game. Whatever it is in this game is nowhere near as catchy.

Crack

Up to Chapter 9 already. I searched my ass off on in Chapter 8. Still missed a verse. Managed a Platinum though so I ain't even mad.

There was a portal that had don't touch the ground as one of the requirements. Took me 15+ minutes. Kept going for afterburner kick when I was out of jumps.

random25

Now at Chapter 10. Really good to see the verses are much easier to find in this game, though I still miss quite a few lol.

That Masked Lumen fight part 2 was intense too! Will replay every Masked Lumen fight.

Finally taught myself to use the Salamandra properly (learning the release timing) and wow do they tear through enemies quickly. Getting platinum from time pretty consistently now, just need to get those final dodges down so damage doesn't drop my score.

JerkShep

The game is really really good, on Chapter VI right now. I should have started at 3rd Climax maybe, it's kind of easy, but since most of my chapters raking in Bayo 1 were stones (mostly from items using, QTE failing or missing some fights) it's nice to earn platinums and golds. I have a couple of stupid questions

1. If I replay a level on the same level of difficulty and get a lower rank, will I keep the higher of the two? I missed a couple of crows and now that I have the water transformation I can obtain a couple of broken hearts/pearls in chapter I

2. Does the game "save" the tombs already opened/crows already obtained/portals already completed? What I'm asking is if I need to do another complete run or I can just blaze through the level for the few collectibles I've missed

Boss Doggie

these aren't sloths

you can't even kill them through torture attacks

:(

The game is really really good, on Chapter VI right now. I should have started at 3rd Climax maybe, it's kind of easy, but since most of my chapters raking in Bayo 1 were stones (mostly from items using, QTE failing or missing some fights) it's nice to earn platinums and golds. I have a couple of stupid questions

1. If I replay a level on the same level of difficulty and get a lower rank, will I keep the higher of the two? I missed a couple of crows and now that I have the water transformation I can obtain a couple of broken hearts/pearls in chapter I

2. Does the game "save" the tombs already opened/crows already obtained/portals already completed? What I'm asking is if I need to do another complete run or I can just blaze through the level for the few collectibles I've missed

1. different scores on different ranks
2. unless the tomb has a one-time item (like say, LPs), it will respawn, and crows are permanently recorded so they won't reappear

however muspellheims need to be done again to count for perfect verse

rugioh

Banned
Anyone feel like dodge offset isn't as instrumental as it was in the first game? The rate at which medium enemies combo break/parry your strings out of witch time seems to negate the strings you attempt to build before the dodge. I feel like even if I don't use offset I can still get platinum combo scores if I get some weaves in each witch time.

Boss Doggie

Anyone feel like dodge offset isn't as instrumental as it was in the first game? The rate at which medium enemies combo break/parry your strings out of witch time seems to negate the strings you attempt to build before the dodge. I feel like even if I don't use offset I can still get platinum combo scores if I get some weaves in each witch time.
The combo strings don't go away easily yeah, and taking damage doesn't break the combo. With that said DO still grants you bonus points and it's useful for dodging while doing combos, particularly with slow weapons.

Sloths are the new grace and glory (no witch time version) of the game.
Even if you can use witch time, the motherfucker can add one or two more strikes to nearly every attack that you will not notice until is too late.

Seik

Banned
Even if you can use witch time, the motherfucker can add one or two more strikes to nearly every attack that you will not notice until is too late.

Hahaha yeah, it's pretty much the way I saw it at first, too. :p

At least you don't encounter them much. Grace and Glory where thrown at you every other fight in the later chapters of Bayo 1.

Neiteio

At least you don't encounter them much. Grace and Glory where thrown at you every other fight in the later chapters of Bayo 1.
The hammer's Umbran Climax wrecks Grace and Glory in this game. The AOE is huge and really whittles them down fast.

Actually, the hammer's Umbran Climax wrecks everything. Man do I love the hammer. Maybe it's because I was a Big Bull user in Anarchy Reigns. I was surprised how well it works against Loptr/Prophet during both encounters.

I'm rocking this combination at the moment:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0147sqp.jpg

bayo2-myshot014yunq.png

I still can't get over how great this game is. Right now I'm trying to buy costumes and alternates to create as many cool combinations as I can. Next I want to get the Salamandra alt so I can wield four chainsaws at once!

I'm still learning the accessories. What accessories have the best effects with the most minimal drawbacks (or no drawbacks at all)? Currently I just use the Moon for the parrying ability.

The hammer's Umbran Climax wrecks Grace and Glory in this game. The AOE is huge and really whittles them down fast.

Actually, the hammer's Umbran Climax wrecks everything. Man do I love the hammer. Maybe it's because I was a Big Bull user in Anarchy Reigns. I was surprised how well it works against Loptr/Prophet during both encounters.

I'm rocking this combination at the moment:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0147sqp.jpg

bayo2-myshot014yunq.png

I still can't get over how great this game is. Right now I'm trying to buy costumes and alternates to create as many cool combinations as I can. Next I want to get the Salamandra alt so I can wield four chainsaws at once!

I'm still learning the accessories. What accessories have the best effects with the most minimal drawbacks (or no drawbacks at all)? Currently I just use the Moon for the parrying ability.

Yeah, I tried out the hammer yesterday in tag climax and destroyed everything.

Every time you replay a stage, the game will prompt you if you want to overwrite your score. Humorously, it will do this even if your old score was Stone and your new one is Platinum. I thin TW101 automatically kept the higher tier score, prompting you only if it was the same tier with different stats, but here it always asks.

Also, asking again: where is the link to the document with everyone's Nintendo IDs?

Buckled down and jumped into Infinite Climax, it was nice of chapter 1 to reacquaint with me with my old friend stone rank, I'd been wondering what the new Enzo quote to rub salt in the wounds would be after all.
Man and it was all going well until ol' Sword face came in and went to town on me for three KOs, at least my verse scores were pretty good.

Also like Neiteio I'm rocking Hammer and Chomp as a heavy hitting combo, not really sure how well the hammer holds up later on when the action picks up with faster foes all jostling for a piece of the action, I love its impact but I was having trouble keeping it in use over other weapons in the back half of the game on third climax since even dodge offset ain't always going to help give you the space to end some of those long combo swings, I'm probably just missing better ways to use it than mass clobbering, like spin spammage.

The Chomp snaps and barks towards collectables like chests which is just brilliant, he is more than a weapon, he is my comrade.
Also coming back around on Clawscythe, possibly because its projectile like burst reminds me of electric durgas similar move albeit not quite as satisfying, seems to work well with the whips but I'm not exactly sure which things truly work well together, if nothing else its fun to mix and match and find what weapons fit my style.

Neiteio

Buckled down and jumped into Infinite Climax, it was nice of chapter 1 to reacquaint with me with my old friend stone rank, I'd been wondering what the new Enzo quote to rub salt in the wounds would be after all.
Man and it was all going well until ol' Sword face came in and went to town on me for three KOs, at least my verse scores were pretty good.

Also like Neiteio I'm rocking Hammer and Chomp as a heavy hitting combo, not really sure how well the hammer holds up later on when the action picks up with faster foes all jostling for a piece of the action, I love its impact but I was having trouble keeping it in use over other weapons in the back half of the game on third climax since even dodge offset ain't always going to help give you the space to end some of those long combo swings, I'm probably just missing better ways to use it than mass clobbering, like spin spammage.

The Chomp snaps and barks towards collectables like chests which is just brilliant, he is more than a weapon, he is my comrade.
Also coming back around on Clawscythe, possibly because its projectile like burst reminds me of electric durgas similar move albeit not quite as satisfying, seems to work well with the whips but I'm not exactly sure which things truly work well together, if nothing else its fun to mix and match and find what weapons fit my style.
I struggle with the hammer against Masked Lumen in Witch Hunt II on Third Climax, so I imagine he'd give me even more trouble on Infinite Climax. Still, the hammer is so good for everything else that I can't put it down for long. :)

Well-said about how Chomp is a "comrade." I love how he falls asleep when idling, how he'll leap in front of enemies to block hits for you, and how he points out collectibles, like you said. He's also super-fun to use. Just try holding the kick button -- Bayonetta will actually wind-up and kick him off his chain, launching him into the distance, lol. I usually strike several times with the hammer and then mix in a quick Chomp kick for good measure. :)

All of the weapons are so fun. I raved earlier about the hammer's Umbran Climax, but I'd like to give some love to Kafka's Umbran Climax, as well. It fires off huge beetles that hit like a truck, pushing back even the largest foes. I shoved the
Beloved at the end of Chapter XIII
all the way to the lava using this technique.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Finally got my hands on an external HDD that is detected on my wii u that didn't cost me 60 bucks (500gb seagate for 35). Started the download with my piece of shit 2.5mbps connection at noon so hopefully by tomorrow morning I'll be able to play.

Damn infinite climax doesn't joke around. Only got silver for the prologue while I played the shit out of the demo. The new muspelheims are also way harder.

Well let's say you won't play with the hammer on nsic in the chapter 12 fight. I used Shuruba and Chain Chomp.

I'm also sure it doesn't matter what difficulty you have your game set to for the witch trials. They should be on their own like in 1.

Coda

Should I try to beat trial 5 first or go for infinite climax?

I don't really think non-stop climax is worth playing. It's just too stressful, 3rd climax offers the best challenge while also allowing you to have fun. But maybe that's just me.

Just finished it, great game. Final boss is great and although i never care much about story in game i think its quite smart.
Bayonetta 2 is better than Bayonetta but still cant beat Wonderful 101 as my favorite action game.

Jintor

I got worked yesterday in the Insidious level by the Luman Sage on 3rd climax ;___;. First continue I had to eat, no time to replay the level again last night... feels badman.

Top Bottom