• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

HouseofGlass

Neo Member
The early chapters of this game were more of my liking. I thought Noatun was a really interesting city/locale and the chill-areas where you could read signs and learn about the city's lore/background was and always has been a nice change of pace between battles. I kind of wish the series struck that chord more often, now that we're two games deep.

Yeah, I completely agree. I feel like throughout the first game you had a nice amount of exploration time. Even when you went to the final area you could still poke around as you explored the tower. That element of exploration felt really missing to me once you got past a certain point in this game. Spoiler for final area:
I was really, really hoping once you reached Fimbulventr that you would actually get to enjoy some good old fashioned anti-grav exploration and maybe a bit of light fun platforming as you finished your epic journey to the summit. But sadly you just kick open a door and it's the final boss. That was probably the only moment of straight-out disappointment I had in the entire game.
That and I wish there was some more platforming and giant bosses (which I guess is the two things people disliked about the first game so I think I might be insane). Still, those complaints aside the game is really fantastic. There's things it does better than Bayonetta 1, but there's some things I still really like about the first game and they have an equal place on my shelf.

damn this game is so much fun , i beat it on 1 climax and 2 climax now im doing the 3 climax and getting golden and platinum trophy

Yuterald

Yeah, I completely agree. I feel like throughout the first game you had a nice amount of exploration time. Even when you went to the final area you could still poke around as you explored the tower. That element of exploration felt really missing to me once you got past a certain point in this game. Spoiler for final area:
I was really, really hoping once you reached Fimbulventr that you would actually get to enjoy some good old fashioned anti-grav exploration and maybe a bit of light fun platforming as you finished your epic journey to the summit. But sadly you just kick open a door and it's the final boss. That was probably the only moment of straight-out disappointment I had in the entire game.
That and I wish there was some more platforming and giant bosses (which I guess is the two things people disliked about the first game so I think I might be insane). Still, those complaints aside the game is really fantastic. There's things it does better than Bayonetta 1, but there's some things I still really like about the first game and they have an equal place on my shelf.

Yeah, I'm right there with ya'. Honestly, this game's final two chapters suck shit compared to the original. Say what you will about recycled bosses (as both games are guilty of it), but the Tower to Truth from the original was so fucking awesome (aside from the dumb turret section, lol!) and most importantly, it carried that proper build-up to the final battle(s). I honestly felt like this game's final few segments were a major cop-out. Again, I don't really enjoy being so critical on a game that almost didn't even happen, but now that I've gone through it, I'm a little disappointed with the end result.

I'm almost starting to think of this game/look at it as if it's an accessory to the original. It's not the full blown, proper sequel I wanted/expected, but it does a good enough job of accentuating certain aspects (arguably, the most important) of the original and I guess that's cool. It's just missing a few, more minor details that are as/equally important to me. =/

Adaren

Speaking of the Alfheim portals in this game, they're placed like some last minute boner. The Secret Missions from the old school, cool-kid DMC titles were always very well hidden. The original Bayonetta hid the challenge portals very well too. In this game, you're practically tripping over them as you run through the stages. They're like almost always in clear sight. It's kind of another issue I have generally with the stage design/structure. On one side, they get you to the combat so fast in this game, which isn't really a bad thing because clearly its where Bayonetta, as a whole, excels. However, I would have much preferred fewer portal challenges with more unique/meaningful trials than a multitude of poorly placed portals with repeated challenges. There's also very little filler in-between Verses/bouts in Bayonetta 2, but honestly, I really enjoy the open areas with the exploration aspects and hidden nooks & crannies.

The early chapters of this game were more of my liking. I thought Noatun was a really interesting city/locale and the chill-areas where you could read signs and learn about the city's lore/background was and always has been a nice change of pace between battles. I kind of wish the series struck that chord more often, now that we're two games deep.

I prefer Bayonetta 2's some-well-hidden-some-freebies Muspelheims to where Bayonetta 1 hid them. Most of the Bayo1 ones just involved moderate to large amounts of backtracking at random times. Exploring for them usually just involved running back through the level.

That one Bayo 1 portal that doesn't show up unless you shoot a random trash can...exploration my black ass...

fuck you for that one Kamiya

Yuterald

I prefer Bayonetta 2's some-well-hidden-some-freebies Muspelheims to where Bayonetta 1 hid them. Most of the Bayo1 ones just involved moderate to large amounts of backtracking at random times. Exploring for them usually just involved running back through the level.

I'm going to have to replay Bayo 1 again, but I just feel like they were still handled better in the original. There were definitely less than there were in Bayo 2, right? Christ, Bayo 2 repeats the same challenge types multiple times and they're all very easy. Even though I'd like to consider myself a well-seasoned explorer when it comes to finding hidden goodies and shit in games, I finished my first run having only missed 1 crow and 1 witch heart. Have yet to find that 1 witch heart and I somehow overlooked a crow in Chapter I, lol! Stuff was just so rarely hidden off the beaten road in Bayo 2.

Adaren

I'm going to have to replay Bayo 1 again, but I just feel like they were still handled better in the original. There were definitely less than there were in Bayo 2, right? Christ, Bayo 2 repeats the same challenge types multiple times and they're all very easy. Even though I'd like to consider myself a well-seasoned explorer when it comes to finding hidden goodies and shit in games, I finished my first run having only missed 1 crow and 1 witch heart. Have yet to find that 1 witch heart and I somehow overlooked a crow in Chapter I, lol! Stuff was just so rarely hidden off the beaten road in Bayo 2.

Going off the Bayonetta wiki, Bayo1 has 21 Alfeims and Bayo2 has 22 Musphelheims. 12/21 Bayo1 Alfeims require significant backtracking.

If I'm counting correctly, Bayo1 had 7 types of Alfeims while Bayo2 had 8 types of Musphelheims.

I agree that the Bayo2 secrets are on-average easier to find, but that's because I consider a lot of the Bayo1 ones to be hidden in dumb places (e.g.
backtracking through the entire level for Alfeims, the Witch Tomb behind the breakable wall on the plane, the trash can Alfeim, the Alfeim in the last chapter that requires you to get within 5 feet of triggering the boss before it appears
). I feel like Bayo2 rewards me for a reasonable amount of exploration, whereas Bayo1 rewards me for combing the entire level each time I beat a Verse (or just using a guide...I haven't been using one for Bayo2 because the hidden things actually feel reasonable this time).

I also personally find the Bayo2 Musphelheims harder to Pure Platinum, but it isn't really a fair comparison right now considering how much I've played Bayo1.

Bayonetta 1's portals were basically "Here, Gamefaqs this."

I appreciate the intent, and understand how people could feel like that rewarded exploration more, but damn do I prefer Bayonetta 2's system.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I am 150% tired of hidden encounters in PG games period honestly

Come up with some new shit besides backtracking in linear level

Yuterald

Going off the Bayonetta wiki, Bayo1 has 21 Alfeims and Bayo2 has 22 Musphelheims. 12/21 Bayo1 Alfeims require significant backtracking.

If I'm counting correctly, Bayo1 had 7 types of Alfeims while Bayo2 had 8 types of Musphelheims.

I agree that the Bayo2 secrets are on-average easier to find, but that's because I consider a lot of the Bayo1 ones to be hidden in dumb places (e.g.
backtracking through the entire level for Alfeims, the Witch Tomb behind the breakable wall on the plane, the trash can Alfeim, the Alfeim in the last chapter that requires you to get within 5 feet of triggering the boss before it appears
).

I also personally find the Bayo2 Musphelheims harder to Pure Platinum, but it isn't really a fair comparison right now considering how much I've played Bayo1.

Fart, then I guess both games are at fault for repeating shit, ha! Some of those requirements are kind of dumb, but in a stupid way, a part of me kind of likes how secret some of those were. I think I'm going to just defer to DMC, again, where I prefer the "less is more" approach.

Yeah, I'll echo this too.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I like Bayonetta, so I just accept things like trash can triggering alfheim as thing you learn. No different to me than learning the triggers for different routes in Starfox 64

It's pointless to talk about which game does it better because neither are necessarily fun. It's just information you have to consume to play the game. Once you actually learn them they're identical to me.

Yuterald

I like Bayonetta, so I just accept things like trash can triggering alfheim as thing you learn. No different to me than learning the triggers for different routes in Starfox 64

It's pointless to talk about which game does it better because neither are necessarily fun. It's just information you have to consume to play the game. Once you actually learn them they're identical to me.

I don't know man, I hear what you're saying, but that shit's important. It's design. I personally love talking about shit that hardly ever seems to be discussed. Item placement, distance between Verses/battles, what's in the in-between, how the player gets from point A to B, etc.

Except in Starfox, the triggers for the different paths were somewhat possible to recognize or were based on your success in a mission. The garbage can thing is completely random; you're not even positioned in a way that would make you go up to that can to destroy it, unless you were reading a guide.

Is it because of a time or just not knowing where they will trigger the encounter? The levels are basically FFXIII corridors. It's not hard at all.

Especially when compared to Metroid, Resident Evil or Castlevania.

Bayo and other PG games are kiddie backtracking.

Yuterald

is it because of a time? The levels are basically FFXIII corridors. It's not hard at all.

Bayo and other PG games are kiddie backtracking

I think it has nothing to do with time/difficulty and everything to do with design and execution. I like/dislike the hidden verses in PG (Bayo) games. I like them because on a base level it's cool to discover hidden stuff (you get that "Aha" moment), but at the same time, why not just make it a forced encounter along the way instead of having the player see how far back they can retread through a stage. You can argue this shit whether it's a good/bad idea all day. The point is, it seems like it's become a Platinum games thing. Bayo 1 and 2, MGR, Wonderful 101 all do it.

Is it because of a time or just not knowing where they will trigger the encounter? The levels are basically FFXIII corridors. It's not hard at all.

And that's why this is annoying. Some actual secrets are cool, even in this genre, but just constantly checking back within corridors to eventually trigger some lame verse (required for a good ranking) is dumb and the only bad part still left in the second game.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Man, the cutscenes in this game are shockingly bad. I'm sure the voice actors tried their best, but the dialogue is so bad, the story so badly developed, the transitions so annoying, that I actually skipped a couple of them! Something I have never, ever, ever done in my 3 decades of gaming.

Obviously, the animation and gameplay are exquisite and the fights are a lot of fun, but what the fuck Platinum? Hire a goddamn writer!

Much love,

DK

Neff

I do get the impression that action game secrets, particularly in Kamiya games, aren't supposed to be logically accessible to every player, more discovered and passed on between players. It's a very old-fashioned way of doing it, since the 8-bit/arcade scene Kamiya reveres was notorious for ridiculously abstract secrets.

If you're a grade/unlockable completionist though, I can see how it might be annoying.

a bit offtopic but do you guys think we'll see another Nintendo/PG collabo at next e3?
W101 and Bayonetta2 are both nuts

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they worked together again.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
a bit offtopic but do you guys think we'll see another Nintendo/PG collabo at next e3?
W101 and Bayonetta2 are both nuts

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I'm almost positive they're working on Starfox... Kamiya's comment, Nintendo saying they're working with a mysterious developer for the game, the too-detailed-to-only-be-an-easter-egg Arwing section in Bayo 2... It can't all be a coincidence! ...Right?

Soul Lab

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I'm almost positive they're working on Starfox... Kamiya's comment, Nintendo saying they're working with a mysterious developer for the game, the too-detailed-to-only-be-an-easter-egg Arwing section in Bayo 2... It can't all be a coincidence! ...Right?

stop it already xD
i want to believe,.....

It isn't logical. It's not like you triggered something that might have caused a change in a location you were in previously. There somehow appears a verse in an area you'd already been in. Every checkpoint you gotta run back as far as you can. If that doesn't work, shoot some shit. If that doesn't work either guess there wasn't anything that time but there is the next time though!

Neff

I was fairly convinced this was happening last year, but the dream seems to have fallen apart, at least where Kamiya's participation is concerned. PG working on the title is definitely a possibility, but Kamiya's directing Scalebound now, and while the man might be a legend in his own lifetime, even he can't direct two games at once.

Zomba13

Bayo 1 and TW101 hidden fights and things were stupid. Like insane backtracking, breaking/shooting certain things etc. I much prefer Bayo 2 where most is on the critical path but some require a little exploration or backtracking but nothing insane.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Finished it last night for the first time. What an amazing game. I dont remember too much from the first game since its been a while but i definitely enjoyed this one more on first playthrough. I cant use the goddamn MGS revengeance like counter for the life of me though.

Went back and redid the last chapter and I bodied that shit. Pure plat everything except the damn
vehicle section.
That was after I re-tried it a couple times and the first shot I got a stone for time spent, wat?

That let me get Bracelet of Time. Is there an item for getting at least platinum in all chapters or should I just play infinite climax now?

Went back and redid the last chapter and I bodied that shit. Pure plat everything except the damn
vehicle section.
That was after I re-tried it a couple times and the first shot I got a stone for time spent, wat?

That let me get Bracelet of Time. Is there an item for getting at least platinum in all chapters or should I just play infinite climax now?

You get the Climax Brace 2 for getting Platinum on every Chapter

Astral Dog

I said before that i prefer the pacing and estructure of the first game, i will try to explain why.

For example, Chapter 6 is a boss battle, and then Chapter 7 are two boss battles with just one enemy verse in between, i dont want to complain much,as these are awesome bosses, but i feel like this affects the pacing in a bad way.

Now, i think Bayonetta 1 feels a little more like and adventure game or a journey, there are enough chapters between bosses and are the appropiate lenght before each one.

Im not against some light puzzle or platforming elements to make the levels more distinct,a little exploration in the levels would be nice too,this does affect replays, but by removing them, Bayonetta 2 feels a little incomplete to me.

Also, the game lacked a chapter before the final boss,
fighting angels and demons inside the temple, give it an aesthetic similar to the throne room,

Unit24

I said before that i prefer the first games pacing and estructure, i will try to explain better why.

For example, Chapter 6 is a boss battle, and then Chapter 7 are two boss battles with just one enemy verse in beetween, i dont want to complain much,as these are awesome bosses, but i feel like this affects the pacing in a bad way.

Now, i think Bayonettal 1 feels a little more like and adventure game or a journey, there are enough chapters between bosses and are the appropiate lenght before each one.

Im not against some light puzzle or platforming elements to make the levels more distinct,a little exploration in the levels would be nice too,this does affect replays, but by removing them, Bayonetta 2 feels a little incomplete to me.

Also, the game lacked a chapter before the final boss,
fighting angels and demons inside the temple, give it an aesthetic similar to the throne room,

I was actually okay with those boss fights being grouped together. That part of the game was a transition from one major location to another, so I felt it was fitting for it to be so climactic.

Though I agree with that last thing. If there were only two things I could change about the finale, it would be
one more level where you fight angels and demons, like you said, and for the final boss to be finished before he was de-powered. It's really weird how chapter X is the last chapter where you fight Bayo 2 enemies. Chapters XIII - XV are weird because they seem to be testing your skill at Bayo 1, not Bayo 2. And it always feels better to take out the big bad when he's still a threat, otherwise it feels a bit pointless.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

It's just not really compelling to me. It just seems like it exists to add replay value to the games without really designing a compelling way to deliver that alternate and optional content.

and even then I think it's tolerable every now and then. My main Issue with it is how Platinum has applied that same structure to all their releases, instead of it being a Bayonetta specific thing like it was for them early on. Games like Rising and Korra don't need to be limited to fixed ranked encounters, hidden or otherwise. I would have liked to see 101 take a different approach as well.

So I guess my main problems with it are that it's just not compelling design and the frequency by which Platinum uses it in their more recent releases. Not only is it boring, but by this point for fans of Platinum it's become routine.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
I am getting golden trophies across the board, this game is far easier than the first one, to me at least, where I almost always get stone ones.

Astral Dog

I was actually okay with those boss fights being grouped together. That part of the game was a transition from one major location to another, so I felt it was fitting for it to be so climactic.

Though I agree with that last thing. If there were only two things I could change about the finale, it would be
one more level where you fight angels and demons, like you said, and for the final boss to be finished before he was de-powered. It's really weird how chapter X is the last chapter where you fight Bayo 2 enemies. Chapters XIII - XV are weird because they seem to be testing your skill at Bayo 1, not Bayo 2. And it always feels better to take out the big bad when he's still a threat, otherwise it feels a bit pointless.

I agree it lacked some kind of sequence or QTE before Loki used the card, but the thing is that Aesir with the Eyes is much more powerful than Bayonetta and Balder, there is no way they could have won

Unit24

I agree it lacked some kind of sequence or QTE before Loki used the card, but the thing is that Aesir with the Eyes is much more powerful than Bayonetta and Balder, there is no way they could have won

Remember that Platinum did not create this game under the restrictions of a story somebody else made. They handled the story as well as the gameplay, so they could have come up with anything, just so long as it felt awesome for the player (which is generally how they do things anyway). Hell, Bayo defeated the god of creation all by herself at the end of the first game, without it being weakened beforehand by some last minute deus ex machina.

I find myself playing a lot of the multiplayer even before finishing the campaign, just to stock up on lots of halos. I'm doing really well with it too!

The worst is losing a round even when getting Pure Platinum though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I don't know if anyone already shared this in the thread (but I'm sharing it because I just figured it out)

But for all the rotate the control stick QTE's if you rotate both sticks it goes twice as fast.

Also the hammer + Bracelet of Time is borderline over powered. You can very safely charge it to full without having to worry about positioning or timing.
zlCfzSoaNfALlpLnsR

The results are a bit hilarious (8 seconds to clear a muspelheim on climax 3)

How the hell do I get gold or platinum on Chapter 3? I keep getting bronze on my time but it's because I don't know how I'd do it any faster than what it lets me.

Would the
Umbran Armour accessory
be a thing I should be using, and what weapons are best to use?

Astral Dog

Remember that Platinum did not create this game under the restrictions of a story somebody else made. They handled the story as well as the gameplay, so they could have come up with anything, just so long as it felt awesome for the player (which is generally how they do things anyway). Hell, Bayo defeated the god of creation all by herself at the end of the first game, without it being weakened beforehand by some last minute deus ex machina.

They could had summoned Omne to finish off Aesir i guess, make her more powerful than the Eyes, what i mean is, it doesnt contradict anything from the first game, Bayonetta battled a weak Jubileus that had the Right Eye only,and then with help from Jeanne,summoned another God to kill her. when people say Bayonetta punched God to the sun, they are exaggerating a little .
Edit: lol, Loptr without the Eyes was already more powerful than both of them, maybe they needed Loki to win.:p

How the hell do I get gold or platinum on Chapter 3? I keep getting bronze on my time but it's because I don't know how I'd do it any faster than what it lets me.

Would the
Umbran Armour accessory
be a thing I should be using, and what weapons are best to use?

Use the bow and shoot him to dead. You should get a platinum time and combo that way. Equip chainsaws on your legs for when the boss gets in range during witch time dodges.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It isn't logical. It's not like you triggered something that might have caused a change in a location you were in previously. There somehow appears a verse in an area you'd already been in. Every checkpoint you gotta run back as far as you can. If that doesn't work, shoot some shit. If that doesn't work either guess there wasn't anything that time but there is the next time though!

Yeah, I've never been a fan.

Basically after every verse, just 180 and run back. If the game didn't block the area off, chances are it's a hidden fight.

I like actual exploration, branched paths, etc. but the linear backtracking has never meshed well. I appreciate it being less obtuse atleast.

Top Bottom