• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

But for all the rotate the control stick QTE's if you rotate both sticks it goes twice as fast.

Wow, game changer. Thanks a lot!

By the way, I don't know if this is common knowledge, but during Umbran Climax, it seems that you can perform Tetsuzanko or Heel Stomp for free, and since you're in UC, they instantly project an Infernal Weave. I've found that spamming them results in massive damage and combo points plus permanent stagger for as long as you stay in UC.

Worst platinum child is clearly the little fucker from Wonderful 101 Alan Smithe. I'll take ten Lokis before another Alan Smithe. Almost as bad as Wonder Pink.

Yep, no contest. It was much worse than Wonder Pink for me, in fact.

I share your exact sentiments.

It's the only PG game (other than Bayo 2 because it just came out) that I didn't bother replaying. I beat all their PS3 titles at least four times, and got the platinum in all of them because I love them so much.

I really tried liking W101, but it remains as my biggest gaming disappointment ever. I was so hyped for it ;_;

Heh, it's funny because TW101 is my favorite P* game. It might be slightly more uneven tha Bayonetta 2 but the highs (including every single boss) are so much better. It's also like twice as long with more varied environments and even though it has fewer enemy types, they feel much more distinct, each needing different strategies. To each their own, obviously.

Chapter 10 was kicking my ass earlier, kept restarting. Managed a Gold after a try or two though. All Plat/Gold up until chapter 14 now so I'm not far off unlocking some more sweet goodies.

I only wish I had completed the game on 3rd Climax to start with. I'm also finding I'm not doing so great with Dodge Offset with anything beside Bayonetta's default guns. In fact, I barely use anything else aside from the occasional Shuraba. Guess I'm not very good. :(

Unit24

Just scummed my way through infinite climax. It's shameful how many items I had to use. I'll have to do a no item run later.

All that's left now is Rodin and then I'll have all of the bewitchments. Good thing infinite climax mode made me way better at the game.

IKizzLE

Just spent 2 hours trying to bead Rodin.

I just can't. I can hardly (as in once every 10 tries) get him to transform into demon mode and then he just destroys me.

Is there any item or accesory I can unlock to make the fight doable?

Rosa+Bracelet of Time+Evil Harvest Rosary=Rodin wrecked.

Heh, it's funny because TW101 is my favorite P* game. It might be slightly more uneven tha Bayonetta 2 but the highs (including every single boss) are so much better. It's also like twice as long with more varied environments and even though it has fewer enemy types, they feel much more distinct, each needing different strategies. To each their own, obviously.
For me it's Bayonetta 2 > (God Hand >) Wonderful 101 > Metal Gear Rising > Bayonetta 1.

W101's take on the genre is quite refreshing partially due to the layer of strategy required to optimize encounters, and I'd put it on even footing with B2 if they had removed some of the more shallow chapter diversions that were too poorly thought out to be enjoyable (like the top-down shmup sections) in favor of a little more enemy diversity. The mini-games really brought the pacing down. B1's last on the list because I found it to be very uneven thanks to its terrible camera, a number of awful design choices (unrelated to the combat engine itself) and lousy framerate in specific areas. Didn't expect much from Bayonetta 2 as a result, so I was genuinely perplexed at how massive of an improvement it was over the original game.

Unit24

Damn, I got the hang of fighting Rodin
until he went into Devil Trigger mode. Can't whip him out of attack strings anymore.

I'm really enjoying this game but why is Plat so, SO bad at creating child characters that aren't incredibly cringeworthy and obnoxious?

George in MGR almost ruined the game for me, and Loki was close with amount of times he repeated "love".

Not sure if Loki counts due to who he really is, but ...

I suppose this isn't an exclusive trait to Platinum, as other companies seem to also have trouble writing dialogue for kids, but they seem to be especially bad at it. Give them the first season of Walking Dead and let them analyze Clementine.

Ulysses 31

Just when all the 3rd climax gold and platinums were getting to my head, along comes the 2nd masked lumen to give me a wake up call.

I don't even get why Platinum keeps adding annoying children to their games. Those are always the worst part of their games. It's like they have to add them to prevent their games from becoming too awesome to handle.

Astral Dog

I'm really enjoying this game but why is Plat so, SO bad at creating child characters that aren't incredibly cringeworthy and obnoxious?

George in MGR almost ruined the game for me, and Loki was close with amount of times he repeated "love".

Not sure if Loki counts due to who he really is, but ...

I suppose this isn't an exclusive trait to Platinum, as other companies seem to also have trouble writing dialogue for kids, but they seem to be especially bad at it. Give them the first season of Walking Dead and let them analyze Clementine.

I wonder if Scalebound is going to have one of those TM Platinum child characters, im expecting a little girl named Jeanne

I don't even get why Platinum keeps adding annoying children to their games. Those are always the worst part of their games. It's like they have to add them to prevent their games from becoming too awesome to handle.

This is exactly how I feel. Why do they keep doing it? They pick some of the worst voice actors with terrible line reading and come up with such nauseous dialogue.

Please stop, Platinum. It's an incredibly jarring thing in your otherwise fantastic games.

You're basically creating Jar Jar Binks over and over again. That's how bad they are.

I'm so glad that the part of which you control Loki is very minor running away from a boss up some steps. I was almost expecting him to be a playable character, judging by certain trailers.

Revven

Any advice on Witch Trial III on third climax? Keep losing to it for dumb reasons -- what's the optimal weapon set for it? Or even, what did you use to beat it?

Unit24

Do difficulty settings even apply to the witch trials? I've noticed that the difficulty level doesn't appear under their chapter names.

imae

So, finished a Platinum run on 3rd climax and just started IC with Jeanne.
It's quite tough but also very satisfying to land those last moment dodges and blocks in order to trigger Witch Time. It feels like a very nice balance between the NCIS of Bayo 1 and the more Witch Time focused mechanics of Bayonetta 2.
I'm going to continue IC with Jeanne but can tell it's going to be a rough ride, especially for platinum/pure... the first Muspelheim on IC was basically the same as the last Muspelheim on 3C, which makes me almost afraid to see what later challenges throw at me lol.

I've already clocked 50 hours in this game yet I'm continuing to enjoy it more and more with each play. I've still to finish the Witch Trials and really want to play more of Tag Climax too. The game is just incredible.

Games like this don't come by often, I can't wait to see what PlatinumGames do next with the genre.

Monocle

Any advice on Witch Trial III on third climax? Keep losing to it for dumb reasons -- what's the optimal weapon set for it? Or even, what did you use to beat it?
UNLOCKABLE SPOILERS
Rosa + Infernal Communicator + Bracelet of Time

See this video. Always count on speedrunners to come up with the most efficient strategies!

BTW, difficulty settings don't apply to the Witch Trials. They're like Angel Slayer in Bayonetta 1, where verses are preset to a certain difficulty. The 4th and 5th trials get nasty pretty quick.

Just spent 2 hours trying to bead Rodin.

I just can't. I can hardly (as in once every 10 tries) get him to transform into demon mode and then he just destroys me.

Is there any item or accesory I can unlock to make the fight doable?
I made a ginormous post about how I beat Rodin a while back. Let me dig it up for you.

I know of a couple good ways to beat Rodin. I'll go into detail about the method that worked best for me, which I think is the easier of the two. There's a lot to cover here so I'm going to break this post into categories.

SPOILERS FOR UNLOCKABLES AHEAD

The strategy:

- Use
Rosa
with the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa and Eternal Testimony. As for weapons,
she can equip only her pistols, which is just fine because they hit like shotguns. Ranged shotguns.

- Disable Crow Within and the jump+P attack in the weapon menu (press X and scroll to the Special tab, I think). These will mess you up.

- Bait Rodin into attacking then dodge into witch time. He has many instant attacks that are very easy to dodge with practice. Look for his flashing eyes and listen for the chime before his ranged punches. These attacks are the easiest to see coming and you'll want to stay in the range where he uses them as often as possible.

- Rodin has predictable attacks at specific ranges and positions. Memorize all of them. Here's a list of common ones: Above you, drop kick. Underneath you, rising uppercut. In the air at mid-range, dive kick or ranged uppercut or punch -> punch -> delayed punch. On the ground at mid-range or long-range, ranged punches or ground stomp.

- Tricky attacks: Dive kick; very fast, no signals. Ground stomp; hitbox travels ahead of visible shockwave. Backdash -> charging punch; no signals, sometimes charges toward you without punching then does a close-range attack a moment later. Rodin can delay all close-range attacks (except his rising uppercut) or use them instantly, so he's probably toughest to deal with when he's right next to you.

- Attack with nothing but PPP -> jump -> PPP, and make sure to extend each hit by holding the attack button. (The jump cancels out of the first PPP so you can repeat it faster.) This does the most consistent damage of anything I've tried. Sometimes you can get away with PPPK for a nice chunk of extra damage, but that kick takes a little too long to come out. You can also try using PPPPP and PPPPK against his first form, but he usually dodges the last hits, and it's rare to nail him with a wicked weave outside of witch time.

- Teleport to Rodin with Umbran Spear after you dodge one of his ranged attacks, or when you want to bait a close attack. You can be much more aggressive than you'd expect against his first form. In fact, I recommend it. Umbran Spear will pass right through a lot of his longer range stuff, and if you get comfortable with his close-range attacks you can stay in his face and constantly pop into witch time. Teleporting and then attacking immediately can make him flinch, but make sure you're ready to dodge. Try using the shots from your extended PPP to bait his predictable mid-range and long-range attacks. Jump above him to bait the rising uppercut, then smack him during witch time while you're both airborne. Stay in the air more if you're having trouble with his ground stomp.

- When Rodin transforms, swap out the Eternal Testimony for the Bracelet of Time. Play safe now, because he can't be stunned at all in demon form! Only use PPP (still extending each hit), and only after you've activated the Bracelet. Be extra attentive to dodging here. Remember his patterns and don't get caught up in attacking. Watch him carefully while you're in witch time to make sure you won't get hit as soon as it deactivates.

Tips and the second strategy:

The most important thing to do is memorize all of Rodin's attacks based on his range and position. If you practice against him for a few hours, you'll find that dodging his attacks becomes much easier. If you're getting destroyed in seconds, try again the next day. He probably killed me well over 100 times, but eventually I got to a point where I could take down his first health bar every few attempts without much trouble.

When dodging Rodin's individual attacks comes naturally, the main thing is to bait him into a predictable pattern like I said earlier. This is the time to pop off shots at mid-range and rush him down with Umbran Spear. He has very limited options in the air and at mid-range.

If you're interested, the other method I mentioned at the beginning is to use Bayonetta or Jeanne in the Hero of Time outfit (for the free Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa effect),
the Earrings of Ruin (to replace Umbran Climax with the mech), and the Eternal Testimony. Weapon set A is the ice thrower and chain chomp, weapon set B is the ice thrower and whip. The basic strategy is to freeze Rodin then use the chain chomp's 360+K attack to deal loads of damage. (Hilariously, you can make Rodin bounce all over the arena with extended chain chomp attacks.) The whip is for baiting attacks and it can grapple slam Rodin's first form during witch time. For his second form I switched weapon set A to the quad chainsaws and used the mech's PPP (last hit extended) as often as possible. I never got him down to his last bar this way. Rosa worked much better.

Getting the unlockables:

Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa: Purchase any time at the shop.
Eternal Testimony: Find all 20 crows then purchase at the shop.
(guide here)
Bracelet of Time: Earn a gold rank for all chapters on 2nd Climax or above, purchase at the shop.
Earrings of Ruin: Complete Chapter 14, purchase at the shop.
Rosa & Chain Chomp: Complete the game on 3rd Climax. You can finish the chapters in any order and skip all optional verses.

Details on the accessories and character:

Rosa deals much more damage than Bayonetta and Jeanne, but her defense is much lower and she lacks the one hit KO protection that Bayonetta and Jeanne have, where an otherwise fatal blow will reduce their health to one hitpoint. Rosa's low defense doesn't matter against Rodin; he'll kill anyone in a few hits. It's her insane attack power that makes the difference. The extended attacks of Rosa's pistols will make Rodin's first form flinch and can knock him out of some attacks. Even the bullets you fire when you hold an attack button and dodge have this property. Rosa's Umbran Climax gives her the Umbran Armor (that mech from Chapter 14). Its PPP deals ridiculous damage when you extend the third hit. Even though Rodin can't kill you while you're in the mech, he can drain your health to one HP and hit you as soon as the mech deactivates. It's safer to use the Bracelet.

The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa's parry function can save you from a hit, but you never want to rely on it. You must try to dodge everything because Rodin's attacks chain together so quickly that he'll often hit you right after your parry. The Eternal Testimony keeps two small magic gauges filled at all times, which means you can always use Umbran Spear to teleport to Rodin. The Bracelet of Time removes witch time after dodging and lets you activate it manually instead. The effect lasts just long enough for
Rosa's
fully extended PPP combo.

The charge bullet stunlock exploit and the Climax Brace 2:

You can drain Rodin's entire first health bar with the charge bullet skill available at the shop. He can't escape the stun loop of charge -> shoot (tap Y rapidly) -> charge - > shoot -> (repeat) until he transforms. The downside is that it can be hard to hit him with the first charged shot, and you earn no magic during the whole process. Since you need magic to use the Bracelet of Time on Rodin's second form, the exploit does more harm than good if you're sticking with the method that worked for me.

The Climax Brace 2
is unlocked by earning platinum for all chapters on 2nd Climax or above. The Brace increases your attack power during Umbran Climax while lowering your defense. This is great for Rosa. Her supercharged mech can nearly drain one of Rodin's life bars with several PPPs (final hit extended). If you have this accessory, feel free to use it instead of the Bracelet of Time against Rodin's second form.

Videos:

With
Rosa and the Climax Brace 2
:
by michellegun201
by General_Beatrix
by Daedron12

With Bayonetta:
by gn03288200
by mur mur

With Jeanne:
by Silvius Sama

Lol, I finally got Rodin in Tag Climax, but I had put Handguns and Kafka on my CPU partner because I wanted to grind halos, so he wrecked her. I tried to revive her, but he kept attacking me. Then I died. It was a mess.

Revven

UNLOCKABLE SPOILERS
Rosa + Infernal Communicator + Bracelet of Time

See this video. Always count on speedrunners to come up with the most efficient strategies!

BTW, difficulty settings don't apply to the Witch Trials. They're like Angel Slayer in Bayonetta 1, where verses are preset to a certain difficulty. The 4th and 5th trials get nasty pretty quick.

Oh wow, I had no idea re: difficulty.

Thanks for the video, dunno why I didn't think to look up General_Beatrix given what he did with Rising speedruns. I will def. try that strat once I buy those accessories.

So, finished a Platinum run on 3rd climax and just started IC with Jeanne.
It's quite tough but also very satisfying to land those last moment dodges and blocks in order to trigger Witch Time. It feels like a very nice balance between the NCIS of Bayo 1 and the more Witch Time focused mechanics of Bayonetta 2.
I'm going to continue IC with Jeanne but can tell it's going to be a rough ride, especially for platinum/pure... the first Muspelheim on IC was basically the same as the last Muspelheim on 3C, which makes me almost afraid to see what later challenges throw at me lol.

I've already clocked 50 hours in this game yet I'm continuing to enjoy it more and more with each play. I've still to finish the Witch Trials and really want to play more of Tag Climax too. The game is just incredible.

Games like this don't come by often, I can't wait to see what PlatinumGames do next with the genre.

same boat as you just finished 3rd climax and cant stop playing it i have 41 hours on bayo2 now i gonna replay it with jeanne

Coda

Lol, I finally got Rodin in Tag Climax, but I had put Handguns and Kafka on my CPU partner because I wanted to grind halos, so he wrecked her. I tried to revive her, but he kept attacking me. Then I died. It was a mess.

I don't really like how Rodin doesn't have a dash, even a slow one. The counter move is cool but it's so hard to get out of that mode of not dodging/panthering in the game.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just finished the game on 3rd Climax.

It's a shame my Wii-U controller is out of batteries because I would totally be playing the shit out of Infinite Climax mode now. Such a fucking awesome game.

I don't really like how Rodin doesn't have a dash, even a slow one. The counter move is cool but it's so hard to get out of that mode of not dodging/panthering in the game.

Yeah that's the biggest hurdle for me. His lock-on+forward moves are good enough but it's not as easy as double tapping the trigger.

His back-forward kick is SO cool though. I need to play him more.

Tuck

Beat bayo 1 yesterday, started Bayo 2 today.

My GOD that prologue level - the last section was insane. And so, so pretty.

Having a blast so far. Game is gorgeous.

Dubz

Chapter 4 on 2nd Climax. Not doing very well score wise, but the first playthrough is all about soaking in the atmosphere. How do you unlock costumes, weapons, and other gear?
Anyone have a good guide or video to link?

The Lamp

Guys how do I activate costumes? I bought Super Mirror 64-2, and I don't know how to access or use this thing.

This is the greatest action game ever conceived by mankind.

popyea

Guys how do I activate costumes? I bought Super Mirror 64-2, and I don't know how to access or use this thing.

This is the greatest action game ever conceived by mankind.

Go to the Chapter Select screen > Menu > Character/Player Settings > Change Character.

Pachinko

I finished this finally today. It was fun and managed to maintain an overall higher level of enjoyment than the first Bayonetta but ... I didn't have the same impact at the games conclusion. It was also a bit shorter but again, more consistent.

I also enjoyed the new weapons and overall additions to the combat engine. So it's just kind of an oddity to me.

In the first bayonetta I'd missed out on the skates , didn't get all the pieces of the LLP I guess, in bayonetta 2 it seems I missed the shotgun and grenade launcher.

Curiously I think I found a mild bug with the game though- if you equip your character in the stage select you can put weapons on hands or feet even without buying the production upgrade.

I'm not one to go and max out games these days but I can see myself playing some more of this to unlock a few more things.

I finished this finally today. It was fun and managed to maintain an overall higher level of enjoyment than the first Bayonetta but ... I didn't have the same impact at the games conclusion. It was also a bit shorter but again, more consistent.

I also enjoyed the new weapons and overall additions to the combat engine. So it's just kind of an oddity to me.

In the first bayonetta I'd missed out on the skates , didn't get all the pieces of the LLP I guess, in bayonetta 2 it seems I missed the shotgun and grenade launcher.

Curiously I think I found a mild bug with the game though- if you equip your character in the stage select you can put weapons on hands or feet even without buying the production upgrade.

I'm not one to go and max out games these days but I can see myself playing some more of this to unlock a few more things.
There isn't a shotgun or a grenade / rocket launcher in Bayonetta 2, so I'm guessing you already have everything. The last one to unlock through non-traditional means is the
Chain Chomp
, which you're awarded after earning a gold trophy (at minimum) for every chapter on 3rd Climax difficulty.

popyea

There isn't a shotgun or a grenade / rocket launcher in Bayonetta 2, so I'm guessing you already have everything. The last one to unlock through non-traditional means is the
Chain Chomp
, which you're awarded after earning a gold trophy (at minimum) for every chapter on 3rd Climax difficulty.

That can't be it. Half my 3rd climax chapter ranks are stone and I still unlocked it. It's probably just pass 3rd Climax.

Top Bottom