• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Finally got enough halos to fight Rodin. And I got rekt. Once he goes into Satan mode I'm dead. I'm using Shuraba and Alruna as main weapons, maybe I'll switch to Salamandra and see how that goes.
I've yet to try this so yeah, feel free to add me:
64BitHero
You still up for it? I could use a break from Rodin :p. My nnid is Za_Warud0.

Has anyone noticed that PPPPK combo on Scarborough Fair doesn't have the weave ender? Is that a glitch or something, because I'm pretty certain there is supposed to be a weave at the end of that attack that isn't coming out.
You need to mash K somewhat for the Wicked Weave to come out at the end.

IKizzLE

Just beat him first time in tag climax, we just scraped through with sliver of health each and had to res one another several times during, but what a fight!
Then the other player won on points and instead of playing it safe, picked another boss card and we both wiped out in seconds:-(((
Platinum ticket rodin is a different and much more punishing fight.

Just finished 3rd Climax! Phew that was a blast! Also DAT weapon unlock! Played around a bit with it! Seems so powerful! Looks like I'll need it for Infinite Climax.

Does anyone know how to unlock the Cutie J costume for Jeanne? I bought the Super Mirror 1 for her (I've beaten the game on 2nd and 3rd Climax) but the Couture Bullet isn't showing up in Rodin's shop. It's the last costume I need before I have all of them, and I really want to be a kitty luchadore with chainsaw hands for Tag Climax.

Coda

Does anyone know how to unlock the Cutie J costume for Jeanne? I bought the Super Mirror 1 for her (I've beaten the game on 2nd and 3rd Climax) but the Couture Bullet isn't showing up in Rodin's shop. It's the last costume I need before I have all of them, and I really want to be a kitty luchadore with chainsaw hands for Tag Climax.

It's one of the old hairstyle costumes, it's not actually labeled Cutie J (just says that in the description). So you probably already have it unlocked.

It's one of the old hairstyle costumes, it's not actually labeled Cutie J (just says that in the description). So you probably already have it unlocked.

Oh cool, thanks. I guess I've already purchased it and just didn't realize it... >_>

Here are my Tag Climax sets:

Bayonetta (Umbran Gekka A): Chernabog (hands) and Salamandra (feet)

Jeanne (Elegent Outfit (formerly)/Cutie J): Yagyu (hands) and Alruna (feet)

I'm considering switching out Alruna for the Chain Chomp, but that set might be too reliant on my ally keeping enemies off of me while I rack up slow combos.

Speaking of Tag Climax, I really need a better partner to beat Rodin. The folks I've been playing with die against him in less than 30 seconds, which means I can't maintain pressure on Rodin because they're always in need of revival.

Oh cool, thanks. I guess I've already purchased it and just didn't realize it... >_>

Here are my Tag Climax sets:

Bayonetta (Umbran Gekka A): Chernabog (hands) and Salamandra (feet)

Jeanne (Elegent Outfit (formerly)/Cutie J): Yagyu (hands) and Alruna (feet)

I'm considering switching out Alruna for the Chain Chomp, but that set might be too reliant on my ally keeping enemies off of me while I rack up slow combos.

Speaking of Tag Climax, I really need a better partner to beat Rodin. The folks I've been playing with die against him in less than 30 seconds, which means I can't maintain pressure on Rodin because they're always in need of revival.
I can help you with Rodin if you want. I need the practice to beat his platinum ticket version :p

popyea

So how do you use the perfumes in Bayonetta 2?
Do you need to be dressed with the normal clothes for them to work? and how do you exactly activate them?

Yeah, be in default costume, and then when you equip the corresponding weapon press Y in the menu. You can do this from the in-game menu or the player settings menu.

Sagely

Jeanne's Uniformed costume is absolutely gorgeous with her long hair. I'm having more fun with her alternate costumes than Bayonetta's! Mostly because I love Bayonetta's original costume and hairstyle more than anything else. Tag Climax is ideal for trying out characters without having to commit to a whole chapter, because Jeanne is noticeably more difficult to play as with her diminished Witch Time window.

I'm seriously impressed with how much variety this game has to offer between playable characters, weapon sets and outfits. Worth every single penny, I'm so glad it got made :)

Bombless

Finally Platinum-ed Chapter XVI. God damn those credits verses are annoying. Oh well. What does the new unlock do? Strenghten weaves/Climax?

KYUIcGA.jpg

ghibli99

Just finished The Two Meet... damn, that was pretty hard to follow with all the craziness going on around you. I need to learn how to focus through distractions. LOL Cool stuff, though!

Finalow

what accessories should I get? First run, almost over I think.

I was thinking of going with the classic Selene's Light and then with Gaze of Despair for farming, as I did with the first game.

Omzz

holy shit viewtifulJC you werent kidding about the evil rosary and bracelet of time combo...made witch trial V piss easy

Astral Dog

Finally had the chance to start playing it TODAY. After finishing Bayo1 and getting stuck at work for more than a week.

Loving it so far, but the challenge Portals are kind of easier this time around, right? I made it to chapter 3 and so far haven't had much trouble, if any, to beat the ones that I've found. Also, I'm playing on 3rd Climax from the start and I've been getting loads of Platinum and Pure Platinum medals. Am I getting good or is it generally easier than the first one to get those? I suspect it is the second option.

I recommend to not collecting many witch hearts, in this game its they are everywhere, i got two HP upgrades before the end of chapter 1, and that can make the difficulty a joke, seriously. wait for Infinite Climax.

Regarding the angels, there was also that puzzling scene in the first game where a plane full of Lumen devout all stab themselves, and Affinity angels emerge from their bodies. Sacrifice isn't shown to be necessary for angels to appear anywhere else in the game(s) (except for maybe in the final facility that had red stuff (blood?) being pumped around in vats for some reason), and the ritual isn't otherwise referenced again. I guess it served the purpose of showing us "these angels probably aren't actually very nice" but I always thought it felt out of character for the world they were building.

On the movie its said there is mass suicide for the festival, so i guess its not only the Lumen devout.
I think if we ever get a Bayonetta 3 it's a long ways off, maybe at the end of the Wii U's lifecycle if we're lucky. To be honest though I'd be surprised if they ever make another entry in the series. I'd love to be wrong but I think this game even being released is sort of a miracle of all the pieces magically coming together.
Honestly, maybe Bayonetta does not need another sequel, i would not blame Nintendo if they dont make another.
As much as i would like another game,and buy a system to play it, its not going to have the same impact, what i mean is a part of the small fanbase are even complaining that Bayonetta 2 is more of the same,and is not innovative,i dont see another sequel changing that, probably would be on another, more powerful system too, so it would need a bigger budget.
Neither the sales or the story justify another sequel,unless Nintendo are desesperate for games of course,and i dont think its impossible, but its very unlikely.

Adaren

Well I feel like I've played enough to post my impressions. Still trying to decide whether this is my favorite game ever, but it's definitely a strong contender.

Pros
- The gameplay is intact from the first game, and that's a good thing! Umbran Climax is a great extension to the core gameplay.
- The environments and combat effects are both absolutely gorgeous.
- The soundtrack lives up to the legacy of the first one. The "epic" songs still have their memorable melodies and the jazzy songs are better than ever.
- Bayonetta's trademark style pervades the gameplay, and it feels awesome. Her weapon-specific taunts are better than ever. Her movesets in this game are hugely varied and a joy to watch.
- EVERY weapon is Pure Platinum viable. This is a HUGE improvement over the first game, where you would have to resign yourself to sub-Platinum combo scores if you wanted to use certain weapons. Every weapon also feels like it has unique strengths. The chainsaws may be strong, but not to the point that they invalidate every other option like Shuraba, Kilgore, and Scarborough Faire did.
- Tag Climax is a huge amount of bonus content. I foresee it becoming a new standard of the genre, just like Bloody Palace.
- The minigames are the best Platinum has ever done. They mix-up the levels but never overstay their welcome.
- Bayonetta and Jeanne's voice actresses are top tier, as usual.
- A dozen other small improvements and nice features. Bat Within does damage and keeps your combo going, the new Witch Time pacing is super intense and super rewarding, the rival battles are a great improvement on the already excellent ones from Bayonetta 1, the combo lists are more fleshed out, tons of weapons can go on both hands and feet, the highest difficulty raises the bar while keeping the gameplay mechanics and balance intact, etc. etc.

Cons
- Oh boy. The story.
- Bayonetta's attitude towards Loki flies in the face of the series' otherwise brilliant characterization. Seriously, embodiment-of-pure-goodness-my-ass, this kid is a complete asshat for the entire game and Bayonetta clings to him like she's the lead female in a JRPG. It's disgusting.
. . - Loki steals a kiss from an unconscious Bayonetta, rudely pranks her, and all she can do is be annoyed and bear it.
. . - "See ya later, love." "I...I need you to stay with me, Loki-kun. Come to Inferno with me...or you'll get hurt...baka..." "That's some shitty reasoning, love!" SHE LITERALLY FUCKING STUTTERS
. . - Bayonetta blindly jogging forward to pick up Loki, almost getting hit by Aesir's attack, and being saved by Balder at the last moment. Blinded by love, I suppose?
. . - The ending...where Bayonetta asks Loki when she'll see him again. You're Bayonetta. You don't give two fucks about when you'll see this brat again. He should be begging to see YOU and YOU should be giving the coy answers, not the other way around.
Thank god it's only when Loki's around.
- Bayonetta and Rosa are mega-awkward. I mean, I don't know what I would say either if I traveled 500 years into the past and saw my dead mummy; maybe I would also also spend two Chapters shifting around awkwardly in almost complete silence. Platinum should have dressed Bayonetta up in her old garb or perhaps the generic apprentice witch outfit and had one of those "Don't reveal your identity!"-style time travel plots. Then they could have at least talked.
- The Loki/Loptr/Aesir twist was lame. Bayonetta 1 actually had some really cool twists. You could see them coming a mile away, but they often had unexpected implications or justified dialogue from earlier in the game that had previously seemed completely unimportant. This twist had all of the obviousness without any of the clever outcomes. Bayonetta 1's plot left me expecting much more.
- The Masked Lumen reveal was lame. Past Balder is revealed to have the same outfit as the Masked Lumen at the same time that the Masked Lumen reveals his face to Loki but not Bayonetta / the player. Three Chapters later, the mask comes off and...yep! It's Balder! Seriously, this setup was practically begging for Balder to be a red herring and the Masked Lumen to be someone else (a new character, perhaps). Instead, it sets up the possibility but delivers disappointment.
- Balder isn't sassy. The fights with the Masked Lumen might be great, but his dialogue with Bayonetta is lifeless. Jeanne did a great job of pushing Bayonetta's buttons in the first game and prompted some fantastic counters from the title character in return. Exchanges between Bayonetta and Jeanne remain some of the most entertaining parts of the second game, but they're few and far between.
- If I beat up a boss, don't tell me I lost. One of the cardinal no-no's of game design. Bayonetta 1 bosses always felt like you were up against impossible odds, but upon overcoming them you would:
. . - confidently, sassily, and fasionably blow up the boss to jazzy music.
. . - eat the aircraft-carrier-sized boss with a demon four times as large.
. . - punch god into the sun.
You were triumphant and Bayonetta was triumphant. Bayonetta 2 instead punctuates its boss battles with:
. . - the boss getting one more shot of ice at Bayonetta, causing her to miss saving Loki.
. . - the boss opening a rift that sucks in our protagonists.
. . - the massive boss sneaking up behind you and eating you, causing you to fall unconscious in its stomach.
. . - Bayonetta getting lasered to the ground and Loki saving her because she was too weak to move / dodge / open a door.
. . - Rodin stopping Bayonetta's final blow, telling her to "Chill, woman.", and reminding her of something her character should have as her top priority.
. . - the boss knocking you back and hitting you with part of a building. Seriously, there isn't even a brief moment of triumph here.
. . - needing Loki to deus ex machina save you, because you really needed it, right?
Seriously, is that ALL of the major non-rival boss battles in the game*? Bayonetta 2 never gives a single moment of post-boss-unbridled triumph!?
There's also the Lumen Sage fights. Those all end in a draw if I remember correctly, and it's always a lot more even than it ever was against Jeanne (who was hunched over, hit by a wave, etc.).

God, typing that all out made me so angry.

* EDIT: I forgot Gomorrah and the first fight again Glamor, both of which are pretty triumphant, so they aren't all bad. It started to get pretty old for me after the Prophet, though.
- The game is criminally stingy with one of the greatest video game songs ever. It's absurd.

IKizzLE

I agree with you on the characterization of cereza in Bayonetta 2 that it is completely different than how she acted in the first game.

But I wasn't all too mad about it. It seems that they humanized her....made her a character with more than just one emotion. It's definitely a change that I can see some people not liking if they loved the over the top dominatrix attitude that bayonetta constantly exuded in the first game but I welcome a more dynamic main character.

I thought the story in Bayo 2 saved the story in Bayo 1 because Bayo 1's story was more like glue just trying to hold action sequences together. I actually liked all the story elements in the game.

When it comes to characters...I didn't hate Loki, but I didn't like him either. He was kind of whatever for me and I liked Balder's character arc. It's pretty tragic and his personality shouldn't be sassy like Jeanne...because he was never a sassy character.

But all in all, I can see how super fans of Bayonetta 1s characters will be annoyed by the change in characterization in 2.

popyea

- EVERY weapon is Pure Platinum viable. This is a HUGE improvement over the first game, where you would have to resign yourself to sub-Platinum combo scores if you wanted to use certain weapons. Every weapon also feels like it has unique strengths. The chainsaws may be strong, but not to the point that they invalidate every other option like Shuraba, Kilgore, and Scarborough Faire did.

Speaking of; anyone got tips for decent combo scores with Kafka? I did a bunch of tag climax with it and could never get very good combo ranks. I felt like I was using most of it's moveset too. I'm wondering if since it's a ranged weapon, it's designed so that taunting is required to make it viable for PP runs.

popyea

I just got Kafka but I can't get any of the the ZL -> X attacks to work, even in practice mode.

Have you bought them yet? You need the command moves that are in the shop before you can do them with the weapon. I forgot what they stinger is called, but you need that one for Kafka. I'm not sure whether the moves appear in the combo list before you've bought them though. Maybe they do for Kafka because of their special function.

Adaren

I agree with you on the characterization of cereza in Bayonetta 2 that it is completely different than how she acted in the first game.

But I wasn't all too mad about it. It seems that they humanized her....made her a character with more than just one emotion. It's definitely a change that I can see some people not liking if they loved the over the top dominatrix attitude that bayonetta constantly exuded in the first game but I welcome a more dynamic main character.

I'd argue that Bayonetta has multiple humanizing moments in Bayonetta 1.
- She's briefly teary-eyed and guilt-ridden when Luka blames her for his father's death.
- Her dialogue with Jeanne often has her probing for answers to her past (usually unsuccessfully).
- She's overcome with emotion at her mom's death.
- She shows a combination of worry and fear when Cereza is lost on the plane.
- She's filled with disbelief when Luka and Cereza's car explodes and grimaces when Luka gets thrown out the window.
- She's taken aback when Jeanne, her enemy but also her last Umbran sister, is killed after smiling at her.
None of these are as in-your-face as the moments I pointed in my previous post, but they also manage to maintain or even reinforce her dignity and independence. A lot of her persona in Bayonetta 1 is constructed to hide her fear (that's the whole theme of the game, right?), and that makes her a surprisingly complicated character. Bayonetta 2's moments have none of that subtlety; at best they turn her into a stereotype and at worst they humiliate an otherwise strong and admirable character.

I should emphasize once again that Bayonetta's personality in gameplay is as fun and confident as ever. However, the number of grossly out-of-character moments in the cutscenes is astonishing in my eyes.

Monocle

(story stuff)
I don't know, to me Bayonetta seemed completely unbothered by Loki. She even decided he should stick with her for his protection, because that's what she does: take charge and protect the people she cares about. I think this game's story humanized her without diminishing her strong personality and independence one bit. Look at the way she handles the Masked Lumen. Her cool indifference toward a ridiculously strong rival that would have thrown anyone else for a loop (considering how all the Lumen Sages are supposed to be dead) is classic Bayonetta. She's hasn't fundamentally changed between the two games, it's just that now she's reclaimed her identity, she's even more confident. Confident enough that she doesn't need to play the ice queen when she's clearly affected by something. In this game she's being her authentic self.

As for Rodin, Bayonetta flat out intimidated him into offering his help at the first Gates of Hell portal in Noatun. When you consider what the game implies about his identity
he's Lucifer
, that's just plain impressive. Rodin wasn't putting Bayonetta in her place during their later meeting, he was acting within the boundaries of the arrangement they established in the first game. These are two individuals with godlike power who have a mutually beneficial business relationship, and apparently a burgeoning friendship as well. I think it's damn cool to watch two of the universe's biggest players steer around one another as they go about their own business.

I absolutely love how much further Bayonetta 2 fleshed out the series' world, and Bayonetta's character.

I was looking through the Angel profiles menu and I noticed this cute Wonderful 101 reference. The Angel "Valiance" has a sword called the Valiantium blade and the profile says that it was prophesized to help a team of 100 heroes in the future.

IKizzLE

- She's briefly teary-eyed and guilt-ridden when Luka blames her for his father's death.
- Her dialogue with Jeanne often has her probing for answers to her past (usually unsuccessfully).
- She's filled with disbelief when Luka and Cereza's car explodes and grimaces when Luka gets thrown out the window.
- She's taken aback when Jeanne, her enemy but also her last Umbran sister, is killed after smiling at her.
None of these are as in-your-face as the moments I pointed in my previous post, but they also manage to maintain or even reinforce her dignity and independence. A lot of her persona in Bayonetta 1 is constructed to hide her fear (that's the whole theme of the game, right?), and that makes her a surprisingly complicated character. Bayonetta 2's moments have none of that subtlety; at best they turn her into a stereotype and at worst they humiliate an otherwise strong and admirable character.

I should emphasize once again that Bayonetta's personality in gameplay is as fun and confident as ever. However, the number of grossly out-of-character moments in the cutscenes is astonishing in my eyes.

I agree that her persona was to hide her fear, but I think that fear stems from the fact that she did not remember a thing. Throughout the first game, she was suffering from amnesia, so perhaps the Bayonetta we get in 2 is bayonetta's actual personality, with all her memories intact. Remember, her biggest display of care for another person was near the end of 1 when she thought Jeanne bit the dust; which was around the same time she began to remember everything.

I think that Cereza in two is how cereza was before being put to sleep and losing her memories. And I'm positive the events that transpired in 1 further shaped her character to be more sympathetic.

She seems to have gotten some character development while still keeping her essence the same: powerful and sexy; which is ok with me.

Just my 2 cents.

Astral Dog

Hmm i agree, i enjoyed the story of Bayonetta, and Bayonetta 2 has greats moments too, but there are some instances where it falls short, of the first,
First,I accept the slighty darker and serious tone that the sequel had, Bayonetta also has dramatic moments, along with the over the top action and humor , the sequel builds on that, but sometimes it can get more dull compared to the first, but Bayonetta also reacts to the more serious situations, that makes her a little more dynamic.

Bayonettas attachment to Loki is one of the things i thought was out of place,as you said, i guess she misses her younger self,as she calls him "little one", that makes sense, but she should had been more sarcastic and playful with him, also, i wonder if this would be less of a problem if Loki was a little girl instead, like it was originally intended.

Balder was totally different, frankly i dont like his new voice, his old voice was half his character in the first game imo, here its very dull, also his personality was boring too, i dont know if this could be related to the story or not with Aesir.

Bayonetta being defeated by Aesir is an interesting case,i get it got annoying, but its shown that he is more powerful than her and Balder, even without the Eyes,and thats fine, they should have made it more clear at the end with a QTE or cutscene before Loki erased the Eyes,but then the Final Battle would be pointless, the other bosses were more annoying, like the shield angel at the end.

Finally,my main problem with the story is simply too unfocused, Bayonetta 1 was mostly about the title character, with Luka here and there,but it was all about Bayonetta in the end. Bayonetta 2 is about three characters, Loki, Bayonetta and Balder,and you have the side characters too, fighting for screentime, like Luka,Enzo and Loptr. there is not enough story/screentime for all of them, and its about going to Fimbulvinter, then the little one,then Inferno, then the Witch Hunts, then the Mountain again.

Adaren

I don't know, to me Bayonetta seemed completely unbothered by Loki. She even decided he should stick with her for his protection, because that's what she does: take charge and protect the people she cares about. I think this game's story humanized her without diminishing her strong personality and independence one bit.

Chapter 9 Spoilers
Chapter 16 Spoilers

Maybe I'm just reading it differently, but the stutter, shy look, and illogical plan* don't remind me at all of the Bayonetta that watched out for Cereza and Luka. Bayonetta running blindly for Loki (note Balder's "What is my daughter doing!?" face) doesn't make me think of how Bayonetta slyly handled Cereza being kidnapped by Joy. It reminds me of a pre-teen girl trying to hang out with her crush without revealing she wants to. It's not the Bayonetta I'm used to at all.

Maybe I should just say it full-out: between the kiss and the scene after it, the exchange in front of the Gates of Hell, and the scenes before and after the last boss, I definitely thought the game was pushing a Bayonetta-Loki romance. Ignoring the age gap (this is a universe with ubiquitous time travel, after all!), this isn't necessarily a bad thing except for the fact that Loki is generally a dick who, besides one unexplained kiss, seems perfectly content with splitting ways with his partner. Between the ending and the Gates of Hell scene, Bayonetta seems to be the one pursuing Loki, not the other way around.

And that's just not Bayonetta's style.

I like how the Bayonetta/Luka semi-romantic-friendship was handled in the first game, but this just felt completely out of place (accentuated by other things I mentioned in my long post, like the un-triumphant post-boss cutscenes).

More power to you if you don't see the game this way. I watched all of the cutscenes from Bayonetta 1 numerous times, but I couldn't help but skip many of Bayonetta 2's after my first time through.

* She's justified a moment later by the Lumen Sage's convenient appearance, but Loki's point still stands that Bayonetta hasn't given a proper argument for why he should be dragged to Inferno.

EDIT: Was talking with a friend about this in real life and we hypothesized Bayonetta's unnatural attraction to Loki might be a "clever" reference to the Sovereign power to "control the eyes". Bayonetta 1 had plenty of clever early links to its later reveals, so perhaps they were trying to do the same thing here. I might take this as my canon explanation...

popyea

Balder was totally different, frankly i dont like his new voice, his old voice was half his character in the first game imo, here its very dull, also his personality was boring too, i dont know if this could be related to the story or not with Aesir.

I wonder if Balder's voice in the first game has been proved to not be his "real" voice, since he's revealed to be under the influence of Aesir. Or if it's a combination of having an older voice as well. Anyway, you could say that the problem with his voice in Bayo 2 is that he's too "in touch with his inner child".

Top Bottom