• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Because he's an annoying little shit with a bad accent that needs round-the-clock supervision and every time he opens his mouth he's either trying to be cool with his snark, complaining about his head hurting or whining about his memories. Occasionally he throws some cards or
whips out his deus ex machina
towards the end, big whoop. Never mind his constant "TRY TO KEEP UP! / HEY WAIT!" outcries in-game. Cereza was obnoxious too, but she wasn't nearly as prominent. Rather would've had more screentime for Rodin, Luka or Enzo in both cases either way.

He doesn't need round the clock supervision, though. He never died once when I played (I haven't tried infinite climax yet though, so if that's why you hate him then fair enough).

As for his snark... well pretty sure you could complain about all the characters in the game including most of all Bayonetta herself. As for the head hurting, pretty sure he groaned because of it about 5 times, "big whoop". As for 'whining' about his memories, when does he ever whine? Bayonetta herself is the one who has to figure out that he's lost them.

I get that his "HEY WAIT"s could be annoying for some people, but they're usually pretty quiet. Also, yeah it's weird that he was voiced by a South Korean as Loki looks more Puerto Rican. But I don't know if those two things are really great reasons to hate him. And as for wanting more Luka or Enzo screen time... lol

I finally managed to beat Masked Lumen in chapter XII on Infinite Climax, it only took me 28 tries :p My setup:
-Kafka
-Alraune
-Moon of Maha Kalaa
-No items
Basically I just spammed Kafka, dodged when he attacked and then slammed him with Alraune while in Witch Time. Repeat 50 times to win. Bastard is really fast and dodges almost everything you throw at him. I found specially tricky his normal sword attacks, they seem to come out of nowhere with lightning speed and he gets you in his combo it will eat more than half your life. I almost defeated him straight one time, but in the end I had to use the checkpoint...once I unlock the Climax Bracelet I´ll try beating him in one go, this fight was amazing! It´s really cool how sometimes he will counter even while in Witch Time and you´ll have to re-counter his counter (sometimes more than once) to finally be able to land a hit.

After this I can´t imagine how hard the fight against Rodin can be, that must be insane.

Rodin is similar, the hard thing about those fights are the moves that you dont dodge as soon as you see the tell

He doesn't need round the clock supervision, though. He never died once when I played (I haven't tried infinite climax yet though, so if that's why you hate him then fair enough).

As for his snark... well pretty sure you could complain about all the characters in the game including most of all Bayonetta herself. As for the head hurting, pretty sure he groaned because of it about 5 times, "big whoop". As for 'whining' about his memories, when does he ever whine? Bayonetta herself is the one who has to figure out that he's lost them.

I get that his "HEY WAIT"s could be annoying for some people, but they're usually pretty quiet. Also, yeah it's weird that he was voiced by a South Korean as Loki looks more Puerto Rican. But I don't know if those two things are really great reasons to hate him. And as for wanting more Luka or Enzo screen time... lol
How does he get anything done? Through assistance from Bayonetta and eventually Luka. The only time he held his own was against the lowest of angelic pony grunts; every other time he was pushed into a corner until the cavalry arrived. And as opposed to Loki, at least Bayonetta / Rodin / all the other big players could back up them being hot shit.

Five times is still too much (plus I left out his sporadic "STAY AWAY I CAN'T CONTROL MY POWERS" moments) and yes, I'd rather have more scenes with a deliberately lame Joe Pesci who's the butt of a joke or a clumsy casanova than watch some kid who's supposed to be bad-ass (but really isn't) fumble about thanks to plot armor. Literally his only charisma points are him turning into a cute little gerbil and never opening his mouth during said transformation.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't seem to have the accessory that manually activates witch time. What do I need to do to unlock it?

Monocle

I finally managed to beat Masked Lumen in chapter XII on Infinite Climax, it only took me 28 tries :p My setup:
-Kafka
-Alraune
-Moon of Maha Kalaa
-No items
Basically I just spammed Kafka, dodged when he attacked and then slammed him with Alraune while in Witch Time. Repeat 50 times to win. Bastard is really fast and dodges almost everything you throw at him. I found specially tricky his normal sword attacks, they seem to come out of nowhere with lightning speed and he gets you in his combo it will eat more than half your life. I almost defeated him straight one time, but in the end I had to use the checkpoint...once I unlock the Climax Bracelet I´ll try beating him in one go, this fight was amazing! It´s really cool how sometimes he will counter even while in Witch Time and you´ll have to re-counter his counter (sometimes more than once) to finally be able to land a hit.

After this I can´t imagine how hard the fight against Rodin can be, that must be insane.
I beat him on 1st Base AKA Super Ultra Easy Mode AKA Infinite Climax with Ice Undine/Alraune & Salamandra/Salamandra + Bracelet of Time + Infernal Communicator + Link outfit (for the built in Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa effect). It's super effective!

Rodin is way way way way harder, even if you try to cheese him with all of the above.

I don't seem to have the accessory that manually activates witch time. What do I need to do to unlock it?
An overall gold rank for 2nd Climax, meaning gold or higher for every chapter. Pretty easy since you can skip the Muspelheims and still get gold for the chapter, as long as you earn golds and platinums in the other verses.

Jintor

I love the amazing in-game cutscene pre-Golem fight where he runs in, clutches his head, then is immediately okay again and runs out.

sogood.gif

-Kafka
-Alraune
-Moon of Maha Kalaa
-No items

Ice Undine is pretty effective against him. Just dodge to activate Witch Time and get a good blast off and back off. Repeat until frozen then switch to the chainsaws or whatever weapon you prefer and go ham.

correojon

Ice Undine is pretty effective against him. Just dodge to activate Witch Time and get a good blast off and back off. Repeat until frozen then switch to the chainsaws or whatever weapon you prefer and go ham.

I thought you couldn´t freeze him, I tried on Chapter IV and almost killed him without freezing him so I thought he was immune to ice. Maybe I didn´t blast him frequently enough. Will definitely try this when I fight him again, thanks!

I thought you couldn´t freeze him, I tried on Chapter IV and almost killed him without freezing him so I thought he was immune to ice. Maybe I didn´t blast him frequently enough. Will definitely try this when I fight him again, thanks!

You can! I think someone here said it takes around 9 full seconds to freeze him so it takes several longish blasts to do it.

correojon

I had read somewhere that there were some unfreezable enemies, I´ve been freezing everyone up to chapter XII in IC (bosses included) except the Masked Lumen...now that I know he´s freezable he´s gonna get it ;)

I did manage to freeze him during the first fight but it took until past the first checkpoint. Sometimes he backs up and you can continue with the Ice blast for an extra second or so. Most times he'll strafe though

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Just twooo more plats let on my 3rd climax clear, then I gotta go fix a bunch of those golds in infinite climax.

You know what is a bit annoying? You can quit to title in the middle of a fight if you dont think it is going well and get another shot at the verse but there is no restart from last check point option built into the game.

Rich!

Quick question - how many chapters are there?

I only started this yesterday and I'm already at chapter 12. I feel like I'm flying through it.

Neiteio

Quick question - how many chapters are there?

I only started this yesterday and I'm already at chapter 12. I feel like I'm flying through it.
Sixteen chapters, plus the prologue and pre-prologue. There are also five Witch Trial chapters, which get increasingly difficult.

Rich!

Sixteen chapters, plus the prologue and pre-prologue. There are also five Witch Trial chapters, which get increasingly difficult.

damn...

I'm finding it far, far easier than Bayonetta 1. And although the gameplay and graphics are far superior, I honestly think there's a severe lack of spectacle compared to Bayo 1, especially with the bosses.

The bosses in 1 were absolutely stunning and epic as fuck. I honestly don't feel the same way about bayonetta 2.

damn...

I'm finding it far, far easier than Bayonetta 1. And although the gameplay and graphics are far superior, I honestly think there's a severe lack of spectacle compared to Bayo 1, especially with the bosses.

The bosses in 1 were absolutely stunning and epic as fuck. I honestly don't feel the same way about bayonetta 2.

Yeah, the spectacle from the bosses were missing, but they traded spectacle for player mobility in 2.

You aren't stuck on a ledge or a small island, and your not fighting sections of oversized bosses working your way to their weak spot or core. Your free to move about the arena attacking any way you want.

I prefer a little bit of both, but I felt Bayo1's oversized bosses were an oversized headache, especially when I had to fight them again, and was unable to get a clean hit because the game forced me to fight from a ledge or balcony while the boss was off flying around in the distance.

2 allowed me to fight freely and I didn't have to wait around for the boss to get near me for me to do any damage.

IKizzLE

damn...

Its an easier game.
3rd Climax is Bayo 1s normal mode
Infinite Climax still has witch time, but its the only real challenging difficulty in the game.

The only really challenging things in Single Player mode outside of that were Witch Trial 5 and Rodin's Platinum Ticket.

Seik

Banned
I beat him on 1st Base AKA Super Ultra Easy Mode AKA Infinite Climax with Ice Undine/Alraune & Salamandra/Salamandra + Bracelet of Time + Infernal Communicator + Link outfit (for the built in Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa effect). It's super effective!

Rodin is way way way way harder, even if you try to cheese him with all of the above.

An overall gold rank for 2nd Climax, meaning gold or higher for every chapter. Pretty easy since you can skip the Muspelheims and still get gold for the chapter, as long as you earn golds and platinums in the other verses.

Monocle please.

I need to git gud.

I'll give another shot of Infinite Climax tonight, I tried (and failed, miserably) with Rosa but I found an interesting combination by following Neiteio's example of weaponry (Hammer + Chomp) which worked brilliantly.
Brilliantly in a way that I didn't die right off the start.

Just finished it 20 minutes ago.

What a superb game. Easily the best game I´ve played this year.

Major Ending Spoilers:

God damn, Balder. T.T So thats why he is insane.

I love how the story wraps around the first game.

I need to unlock the additional characters ! 3rd Climax ahoy !
damn...

I think 2´s bosses are far, far, far ahead in the spectacle department. Insidious and Gomorrah mop the floor with everything in Bayonetta....save for that one Water Boss...and the final Boss I guess.

Astral Dog

The only child character from a Platinum game I found remotely entertaining was Luka from The Wonderful 101, for that matter. If someone's going to be a little twerp, might as well be a crazy, unabashed asshole about it like he was and he got shit done with how
he damn near destroyed the world
. Plus he
spawned a cool robot during his redemption arc
Now, Luka was less annoying than Loki, but he had his lame moments too, including the robot.
I think 2´s bosses are far, far, far ahead in the spectacle department. Insidious and Gomorrah mop the floor with everything in Bayonetta....save for that one Water Boss...and the final Boss I guess.
Yes, there are some Bayonetta 2 bosses that can compete in spectacle,
Insidious, Gomorrah, the first Masked Lumen Fight,Alraune, Loptr on the clocktower, even minibosses can have their moments, like Belief and the Angel with the axe, that Bayonetta and Rosa finisher was very cool.They dont surpass it imo, but sometimes it can come close.

Finalow

I'm in
Vigrid
, liking these chapters more than the Inferno ones.

I'm not sure if I'm alone in this but at this point I liked the first game more. mostly for level designs and boss fights. the game however is less frustrating for various reasons. the Inferno boss fight was disappointing, and
young Balder
fight copy-pasted, very cool the first time, not so much the second one/third one.

Its an easier game.
3rd Climax is Bayo 1s normal mode
Infinite Climax still has witch time, but its the only real challenging difficulty in the game.

The only really challenging things in Single Player mode outside of that were Witch Trial 5 and Rodin's Platinum Ticket.
it's even easier than normal mode.

hopefully I'll need to "git gud" when I start Infinite Climax.

3rd Climax was a bit difficult for me at first, but after playing for several hours in 2nd Climax(I played till Chapter 6) I started again in 3rd Climax and got at least Gold in every Chapter, it's easy as hell.

I'm getting constantly Platinum rank when it comes to Time and Damage, but I get Gold a lot in Combo... I wonder what I'm doing wrong(I keep the combo going and don't let it reset but still end up with Gold).

Just finished the game...

bhuvAOu.gif

nicolas-cage-fells-good-con-air-head-space-1409843288n.gif

Yup, this certainly is the benchmark for action games from here on out. Epic and crazy on all fronts with tons of shit to unlock, collect, try on as well as do. Gameplay so silk, smooth, tight, on-point and satisfying you'd think you're eating the best mashed potatoes while getting a blowjob. I actually feel abit sad that the game ended and I haven't felt like that in a while(SM3DW was the last game), smiled and laughed throughout the game. It's a shame I have to jump to other games I have at the moment to finish but this is one that i'll be returning to again and again, and again. It's a MUST OWN with no discussions or excuses(except if you don't own a WiiU)for hack and slash fans. 3rd climax is the only way to play this game for people who play alot of hack and slash games or specifically were really good at Bayonetta 1. I liked how in the story that they managed
to connect the dots between the two games even if I don't remember B1 in it's entirety, I did remember some parts and totally saw what they were going for, the game is not about it's story so much as the amazing gameplay, boss battles and the crazy combos/styles you could come up with. Also, pro controller is GOAT with this game.

Manage to collect everything except for 2 birds and a few witch hearts. Did all the challenge rooms as well. All that is left now is what I just mentioned as well as the witch trials and the co-op!

Not bad for a first time, will be going back to platinum 3rd climax later.

I think Gamespot said it best in one of their bullet points.

"The sad realization that future action games may never top this"

So happy this game didn't disappoint one bit and is just tons of damn fun, the fact that the retail version comes with the first game as well blows my mind. Job well fucking done Yusuke Hashimoto and co. I hope we get a Bayonetta 3.

You won't know what hit you
When I spin around
Leave you in my dust
Then bang bang
Down down again
It's my desire
Going for the win
Tomorrow Is Mine

You better run (Better run)
Don't wait here I come no (Grab your gun... Fire)
The fuel in my fire won't run dry (Endless supply)
It burns bright
And you better hide (Take a hike)
I came for a fight, yeah (Truth you'll find is)
Until Tomorrow Is Mine (Victory's mine)

Rich!

Finished it.

After playing both Bayonetta 1 and 2 for the first time this week, I have to say I much prefer the first. Both amazing games though.

Monocle

damn...

I'm replaying Bayonetta 1 right now to unlock everything (ugh, again) in the Wii U version. I'll say it right now: fuck spectacle that comes at the expense of gameplay. Bayonetta 1's huge bosses are not fun to fight multiple times. The combat system is substantially restricted during those drawn out tabletop battles. I love the bosses' designs, love their music, love everything that doesn't have to do with gameplay, but in an action title like Bayonetta, gameplay absolutely has to come first. The game's lasting appeal depends almost entirely on its replayability. After all, Bayonetta belongs to a genre that rivals arcade games in replay-oriented design.

Quite honestly I am fed up with Bayonetta 1's giant bosses, and the motorcyle and missile levels, and the chapter 15 turret sequence, and all of the stupid platforming and QTEs. (A few days ago I ruined my chapter ranking for chapter 3 by flubbing the jump off the collapsing bridge in the lava cave. Also, I almost always fall off that winding snake path in chapter 5 for some reason. Instant deaths, yay! A silver statue for a set of gold and platinum and pure platinum verses, whee!) These things diminish my enjoyment and the game's replay value, and that's all there is to it. I've played Bayonetta 1's first and second chapter probably hundreds more times than I've played any of those boss battles or genre shifts. The combat system is good enough to sustain that kind of repetition, but it can do nothing to improve the segments that push combat aside for the sake of spectacle or variety or whatever.

Bayonetta 2 is just plain superior to the original because it cuts out the fun-killing bullshit. I've played through the full game three times now, and a lot of individual chapters close to ten times, and the only parts I'm close to tired of (like the opening battle in chapter 7) are very brief and surrounded by enjoyable verses. This is a game that reinforces its design goals in almost every chapter, rather than parceling out brilliant combat scenarios in the fragmentary manner of Bayonetta 1 and bogging down the player with tedious junk the rest of the time.

I will never run out of praise for Bayonetta 2's generous array of human-sized bosses. Apparently, Platinum noticed that the greatest boss battles throughout action game history were mostly rival fights, and they took the bold step of scaling down most of Bayonetta 2's bosses for the sake of better gameplay. An outstanding decision. The result is that the most intense sequences in the game demand the most from the player's technical abilities: ideal conditions for the combat system to shine.

Monocle please.

I need to git gud.

I'll give another shot of Infinite Climax tonight, I tried (and failed, miserably) with Rosa but I found an interesting combination by following Neiteio's example of weaponry (Hammer + Chomp) which worked brilliantly.
Brilliantly in a way that I didn't die right off the start.
Sorry...

As long as your dodging is on point you can cheese him to death with the Bracelet of Time. The hardest part is surviving long enough to build up magic for the Bracelet of Time and Infernal Communicator. It's probably a good idea to start with the Eternal Testimony (for the two free magic orbs) and something that doesn't take away normal witch time (anything but the Bracelet of Time and the Evil Harvest Rosary). Once you have 1.5 or two full magic gauges, switch to the Bracelet of Time and the Infernal Communicator (which you should activate during witch time to avoid getting hit).

The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa / Link outfit parry helps a lot because that boss's attack pattern is predictable. Basically, if he's close to you he's trying to hit you.

Astral Dog

3rd Climax was a bit difficult for me at first, but after playing for several hours in 2nd Climax(I played till Chapter 6) I started again in 3rd Climax and got at least Gold in every Chapter, it's easy as hell.

I'm getting constantly Platinum rank when it comes to Time and Damage, but I get Gold a lot in Combo... I wonder what I'm doing wrong(I keep the combo going and don't let it reset but still end up with Gold).

damn...

Are you using the gaze of despair? if not try to not collect many witch hearts on the first playthrough,its too easy to get them.

I'm pretty sure Tag Climax is the best thing ever. I need that Masked Lumen unlocked omggg why does the challenge have to be random. And knowing me, I'll lose at the battle many, many times before I actually win and unlock him.

Seik

Banned
Sorry...

As long as your dodging is on point you can cheese him to death with the Bracelet of Time. The hardest part is surviving long enough to build up magic for the Bracelet of Time and Infernal Communicator. It's probably a good idea to start with the Eternal Testimony (for the two free magic orbs) and something that doesn't take away normal witch time (anything but the Bracelet of Time and the Evil Harvest Rosary). Once you have 1.5 or two full magic gauges, switch to the Bracelet of Time and the Infernal Communicator (which you should activate during witch time to avoid getting hit).

The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaah / Link outfit parry helps a lot because that boss's attack pattern is predictable. Basically, if he's close to you he's trying to hit you.

Yeah, my dodging is usually fine, but on Infinite Climax I think I get way more stressed and panic on the dodge button.

I should try the Link costume as well, I never play with it because I basically hate it, but the advantage of have Moon equipped by default makes it worth it.

Tuck

Game is a blast, but its a lot easier than the first on normal (2nd Climax). Almost never have to do a fight more than once, while in the first game I would constantly have to retry. May replay the game on a higher difficulty some time down the road.

Also, some chapters are super, super short.

Just started this the other day, and I am really impressed. It's the closest thing I've played to Sin and Punishment or Starfox in years. It looks a lot nicer than I expected - in motion it looks slick and crisp, and the colours really pop on my monitor.

Bosses are especially good. Not sure I like the exploratory segments, but thankfully there's not been much of that up to now.

Jintor

there's only really two things i want from bayo now:

1) infinite combat generator a la one of Batman's DLC fights which just poured in minions until you died (of course Bayo might need some tweaking for balance)

2) human-sized boss rush mode

of course i still haven't made it past Witch Trail IV (I blame the gamepad controller! It's that things' fault, I swear!) so maybe they're in there idk

Astral Dog

Game is a blast, but its a lot easier than the first on normal (2nd Climax). Almost never have to do a fight more than once, while in the first game I would constantly have to retry. May replay the game on a higher difficulty some time down the road.

Also, some chapters are super, super short.
Please, start on 3rd climax, its the "normal" difficulty of the game, and dont collect many witch hearts on your first playthrough, if its still easy buy the gaze of despair and have fun.

popyea

Please, start on 3rd climax, its the "normal" difficulty of the game, and dont collect many witch hearts on your first playthrough, if its still easy buy the gaze of despair and have fun.

Or don't buy Bat Within. I didn't my first playthrough and I died a lot. I mean, maybe it's not as helpful as I think, but I've not died to bosses at all the second time around after dying countless times and using green lollipops the first time.

Top Bottom