• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

I haven't tried, but i'm guessing that will make it harder to get the combo requirement.

I redid a few chapters on 3rd Climax and I found that my updated combo score was like triple what it was before. My only concern is if
Rosa
gets hit that's like 3 damage rating tiers right there. I've gotten hit right as I've finished verses before. I'm scared lol

popyea

I redid a few chapters on 3rd Climax and I found that my updated combo score was like triple what it was before. My only concern is if
Rosa
gets hit that's like 3 damage rating tiers right there. I've gotten hit right as I've finished verses before. I'm scared lol

If you're going for pure then there's no difference, so go for it. Not being able to change weapons might make certain situations harder though.

Neff

I'm replaying Bayonetta 1 right now to unlock everything (ugh, again) in the Wii U version. I'll say it right now: fuck spectacle that comes at the expense of gameplay. Bayonetta 1's huge bosses are not fun to fight multiple times. The combat system is substantially restricted during those drawn out tabletop battles. I love the bosses' designs, love their music, love everything that doesn't have to do with gameplay, but in an action title like Bayonetta, gameplay absolutely has to come first. The game's lasting appeal depends almost entirely on its replayability. After all, Bayonetta belongs to a genre that rivals arcade games in replay-oriented design.

Quite honestly I am fed up with Bayonetta 1's giant bosses, and the motorcyle and missile levels, and the chapter 12 turret sequence, and all of the stupid platforming and QTEs. (A few days ago I ruined my chapter ranking for chapter 3 by flubbing the jump off the collapsing bridge in the lava cave. Also, I almost always fall off that winding snake path in chapter 5 for some reason. Instant deaths, yay! A silver statue for a set of gold and platinum and pure platinum verses, whee!) These things diminish my enjoyment and the game's replay value, and that's all there is to it. I've played Bayonetta 1's first and second chapter probably hundreds more times than I've played any of those boss battles or genre shifts. The combat system is good enough to sustain that kind of repetition, but it can do nothing to improve the segments that push combat aside for the sake of spectacle or variety or whatever.

This just sounds like awards = fun, honestly.

I've still yet to see a convincing complaint about Kamiya's variety-focused school of design, or reasoning as to Bayonetta 2's alleged superiority, that goes beyond "Bayo 1 unfairly robbed me of a PP."

NEO0MJ

Just beat chapter IV, holy fuck that was amazing.
Masked Lumen created such an amazing fight on his first appearance! Really strong too, had more difficulties with him than Jeanne in Bayo 1.

Overall I really like the changes made to the game, makes it so much better than the original.

danmaku

I'm replaying Bayonetta 1 right now to unlock everything (ugh, again) in the Wii U version. I'll say it right now: fuck spectacle that comes at the expense of gameplay. Bayonetta 1's huge bosses are not fun to fight multiple times. The combat system is substantially restricted during those drawn out tabletop battles. I love the bosses' designs, love their music, love everything that doesn't have to do with gameplay, but in an action title like Bayonetta, gameplay absolutely has to come first. The game's lasting appeal depends almost entirely on its replayability. After all, Bayonetta belongs to a genre that rivals arcade games in replay-oriented design.

Quite honestly I am fed up with Bayonetta 1's giant bosses, and the motorcyle and missile levels, and the chapter 12 turret sequence, and all of the stupid platforming and QTEs. (A few days ago I ruined my chapter ranking for chapter 3 by flubbing the jump off the collapsing bridge in the lava cave. Also, I almost always fall off that winding snake path in chapter 5 for some reason. Instant deaths, yay! A silver statue for a set of gold and platinum and pure platinum verses, whee!) These things diminish my enjoyment and the game's replay value, and that's all there is to it. I've played Bayonetta 1's first and second chapter probably hundreds more times than I've played any of those boss battles or genre shifts. The combat system is good enough to sustain that kind of repetition, but it can do nothing to improve the segments that push combat aside for the sake of spectacle or variety or whatever.

I agree 100%. Fuck giant bosses and fuck QTE, leave that shit to God of War. I just replayed the Iustitia fight in Bayo1 and it was honestly boring. First time I played it I thought it was mind blowing, but with every replay it gets weaker and weaker. The Jeanne fight? it's always amazing (even with the annoying QTE). I'm replaying the WiiU version and I find myself not wanting to go on when I reach a boss chapter because I know they'll be lame. My first instinct is go back and replay a "normal" chapter, they're so much fun.

Just beat chapter IV, holy fuck that was amazing.
Masked Lumen created such an amazing fight on his first appearance! Really strong too, had more difficulties with him than Jeanne in Bayo 1.

When he summons Temperantia and this track kicks in
fifh5Co.png

correojon

I've still yet to see a convincing complaint about Kamiya's variety-focused school of design, or reasoning as to Bayonetta 2's alleged superiority, that goes beyond "Bayo 1 unfairly robbed me of a PP."

If Monocle´s first paragraph isn´t a valid, argumented complaint I honestly don´t know what it is:

Monocle said:

Bayo 1&2 revolve around an amazing combat system, the main difference between the bosses in 1&2 is that in 1 the game takes out cards from your deck and limits what you can you do against them, while in 2 you just have to push everything you´ve learned to the limit, at least in higher difficulties (we all know Bayonetta is meant to be played in those difficulties and it´s where it really shines).

Bayo1 also introduces chapters of alien (and simple) mechanics and then it makes this chapters drag for too long. It´s like the game is telling you: "Hey, remember all this cool mechanics you´ve been learning up until now? Forget them, here you have a totally unrelated new set of much much simpler mechanics. Hope you enjoy them for the next 20 minutes!". If I´m playing Bayo I do it for the combat system, so don´t force me through a loooong chapter of something that has nothing to do with it, specially if you´re locking the best fight of the game behind it. Bayo 2 at least makes this alien chapters much shorter and because of this they even become enjoyable. I am trying to kill all enemies in Jetfighter Assault, but I don´t even think about trying that in the Space Harrier stage in Bayo 1 because there I lose interest before the end of the first verse.

Veelk

Banned
It's amazing how incredibly packed with content Bayonetta 2 is, yet still feels like they're ought to be more.

For example, in the prologue chapter, we get this huge cinematic fight with Gomorrah. I mean, he has his own boss music and everything, and the game sets up the idea that the demons Bayonetta summons are going to turn on her.

But...they really don't. The Centipedes can damage you in that one part where you fall, but they don't actually fight you. You fight Phantasm or whatever the spider demon's name is, but it's not treated with any kind of grandoisity. He doesn't even have his own theme music. It's a great boss battle mechanically speaking and I agree with Monocle that that's what ultimately matters, but it's so....unceremonious. And the rest of the demons are still on your side.

This bothers me. I really liked Gomorrah's music because it is a great tonal shift from the game's usual harmonious music to something more malicious sounding without losing that ethereal feel. I wanted more of that. And I wanted to have a full on war with atleast a few other of the demons. The battle with Glamor and Valor and the rest are really good boss battles, don't get me wrong. But the game didn't fulfill it's implicit promise of forcing Bayonetta to go up against her former allies. Hoenstly, while packaging all of Bayonetta 1 into 2 levels was a pretty cool throwback, I wish we had gotten more inferno levels.

Gambit

It's amazing how incredibly packed with content Bayonetta 2 is, yet still feels like they're ought to be more.

For example, in the prologue chapter, we get this huge cinematic fight with Gomorrah. I mean, he has his own boss music and everything, and the game sets up the idea that the demons Bayonetta summons are going to turn on her.

But...they really don't. The Centipedes can damage you in that one part where you fall, but they don't actually fight you. You fight Phantasm or whatever the spider demon's name is, but it's not treated with any kind of grandoisity. He doesn't even have his own theme music. It's a great boss battle mechanically speaking and I agree with Monocle that that's what ultimately matters, but it's so....unceremonious. And the rest of the demons are still on your side.

This bothers me. I really liked Gomorrah's music because it is a great tonal shift from the game's usual harmonious music to something more malicious sounding without losing that ethereal feel. I wanted more of that. And I wanted to have a full on war with atleast a few other of the demons. The battle with Glamor and Valor and the rest are really good boss battles, don't get me wrong. But the game didn't fulfill it's implicit promise of forcing Bayonetta to go up against her former allies. Hoenstly, while packaging all of Bayonetta 1 into 2 levels was a pretty cool throwback, I wish we had gotten more inferno levels.

As much as I love Bayo 2, I agree. The thought of fighting all my summons was very thrilling and I was looking forward to it. I am not disappointed with the game at all, as it gave me different ideas, but I still wish that had been part of it.

Easy solution: Bayonetta 3! Fight Inferno to win your soul's freedom.

Feindflug

Bayonetta 2 is just plain superior to the original because it cuts out the fun-killing bullshit. I've played through the full game three times now, and a lot of individual chapters close to ten times, and the only parts I'm close to tired of (like the opening battle in chapter 7) are very brief and surrounded by enjoyable verses. This is a game that reinforces its design goals in almost every chapter, rather than parceling out brilliant combat scenarios in the fragmentary manner of Bayonetta 1 and bogging down the player with tedious junk the rest of the time.

I will never run out of praise for Bayonetta 2's generous array of human-sized bosses. Apparently, Platinum noticed that the greatest boss battles throughout action game history were mostly rival fights, and they took the bold step of scaling down most of Bayonetta 2's bosses for the sake of better gameplay. An outstanding decision. The result is that the most intense sequences in the game demand the most from the player's technical abilities: ideal conditions for the combat system to shine.

As much as I love the first game I totally agree. Bayonetta 2 is a more focused game and pacing/replay value benefit a lot from that, these two things are a big plus IMO.

Bayonetta 2 is pretty much the greatest action game of all time until either Metal Gear Rising 2 or Bayonetta 3

Since I love reading your impressions you have to find a 360 and play Ninja Gaiden II (IIRC you have already played Ninja Gaiden Black?). :p

Also Rising 2 with a proper development time will be a thing of beauty.

BBboy20

I reached Witch Trial V.... holy shit.

Yeah I am stuck there too :S

It is set to infinite climax difficulty and it is basically a boss rush lmfao

Never made it past verse 7.
Same...wait, they're on fixed difficulties?

The crazy part is...I actually beaten the
Alruna/Loptr
fight on my first try and after getting killed on the 7th verse, 95% of the time, I can't beat
Alruna/Loptr

Well the story has more fun than the Last of Us so it evens out.
Last of Us WISHED it had 1% of the fun offered in Bayo 2.
I always looked at LOU as how far video games can go while I look at this as how perfected gaming can be.

I actually feel abit sad that the game ended and I haven't felt like that in a while(SM3DW was the last game), smiled and laughed throughout the game. It's a shame I have to jump to other games I have at the moment to finish but this is one that i'll be returning to again and again, and again
I'm not alone.

Monocle

Yeah, my dodging is usually fine, but on Infinite Climax I think I get way more stressed and panic on the dodge button.

I should try the Link costume as well, I never play with it because I basically hate it, but the advantage of have Moon equipped by default makes it worth it.
It definitely helps to practice nailing Bat Within consistently against a variety of enemies. That's probably the single most important skill to develop for Infinite Climax, actually.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Link costume either. I really wish Platinum had turned the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa's parry/counter into a skill you can buy from Rodin. There's no good reason to tie the function to the accessory when you can just switch costumes if you want to free up a slot. Disappointing oversight.

Like, for real? I thought I gave a solid reason in my other post, but I'll try to state it more clearly.  Restricting or completely locking the combat system for the sake of variety is a terrible idea that has no place in action games like Bayonetta. Especially when the alternative mechanics are horribly awkward or completely distinct from normal gameplay.

The only circumstance where I give a damn about awards is when they're tied to unlockables. I've been playing the original Bayonetta for close to five years and I haven't even attempted to Pure Platinum all chapters on a single difficulty because that just doesn't interest me. I play to enjoy the combat system, that's it. Anything that detracts from that I can do without, which is why I skip all boss chapters, vehicle chapters, platforming-heavy chapters, and chapters with flaming enemies when I replay Bayonetta 1 for fun.

You want to know why I haven't complained about the mech in Bayonetta 2? Platinum designed it right. Its controls are identical to the regular ones, its chapter has a good deal of well implemented variety, there's no easy way to suffer an instant death, and best of all, the chapter is short.

I agree 100%. Fuck giant bosses and fuck QTE, leave that shit to God of War. I just replayed the Iustitia fight in Bayo1 and it was honestly boring. First time I played it I thought it was mind blowing, but with every replay it gets weaker and weaker. The Jeanne fight? it's always amazing (even with the annoying QTE). I'm replaying the WiiU version and I find myself not wanting to go on when I reach a boss chapter because I know they'll be lame. My first instinct is go back and replay a "normal" chapter, they're so much fun.
Yeah, I'm up to Chapter 10 on the Wii U version and I'm so over the boss and vehicle chapters. If I never replay them again I'll be just fine.

Temperantia is the only giant boss that's enjoyable enough to even consider revisiting once I've unlocked everything. Even so, I doubt I'll play Chapter 7 again for a long time. I kind of burned myself out grinding for halos to unlock the Climax Brace.

If Monocle´s first paragraph isn´t a valid, argumented complaint I honestly don´t know what it is:

Bayo 1&2 revolve around an amazing combat system, the main difference between the bosses in 1&2 is that in 1 the game takes out cards from your deck and limits what you can you do against them, while in 2 you just have to push everything you´ve learned to the limit, at least in higher difficulties (we all know Bayonetta is meant to be played in those difficulties and it´s where it really shines).

Bayo1 also introduces chapters of alien (and simple) mechanics and then it makes this chapters drag for too long. It´s like the game is telling you: "Hey, remember all this cool mechanics you´ve been learning up until now? Forget them, here you have a totally unrelated new set of much much simpler mechanics. Hope you enjoy them for the next 20 minutes!". If I´m playing Bayo I do it for the combat system, so don´t force me through a loooong chapter of something that has nothing to do with it, specially if you´re locking the best fight of the game behind it. Bayo 2 at least makes this alien chapters much shorter and because of this they even become enjoyable. I am trying to kill all enemies in Jetfighter Assault, but I don´t even think about trying that in the Space Harrier stage in Bayo 1 because there I lose interest before the end of the first verse.
Thanks, and well said. Alien mechanics is just the phrase to sum up what bothers me about chapters that limit the combat system.

Like I said above, I've reached Chapter 10 on my first play of Bayonetta 1, Wii U version. Just over six hours and I've unlocked everything currently available using this guide. No regrets whatsoever. I am so grateful for the telephone codes. Playing that abominable motorcycle level again really drove home how out of place it is in Bayonetta. I'm absolutely terrible at it, but I feel no obligation to get a better handle on the awful motorcycle mechanics when the level itself is so unenjoyable. I got my two witch heart pieces and gladly accepted my bronze award after being forced to replay an entire verse when I clipped through a cracked highway section.

Thanks but no thanks, Kamiya. It wasn't worth marring a great action game for a nostalgic reference to gaming history.

Veelk

Banned
wait, are people seriously comparing Last of Us to Bayonetta?

What the fuck do they even remotely have in common? They're entirely different genres and tones and stories and gameplay trying to do entirely different things. Literally the only major thing they have in common is they're both videogames.

It's like asking whats better, Schindler's List or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, just because they're both motion pictures. Whats better, a jungle cat or a water bear, just because they're both animals. Whats better, glass or space dust? How the fuck do you even quantify that?

People need to stop thinking of quality as a singular thing. There is no one single route to making a 'good' anything. Even if you think LoU is the best story in the world, that doesn't mean it's the only way to make a good story. Bayonetta is trying to do different things than LoU for different reasons. That, in itself, does not make it better or worse, simply different the same way steak and apple pie are different, and trying to compare them just because they are both things you consume is silly.

Like I said above, I've reached Chapter 10 on my first play of Bayonetta 1, Wii U version. Just over six hours and I've unlocked everything currently available using this guide. No regrets whatsoever. I am so grateful for the telephone codes. Playing that abominable motorcycle level again really drove home how out of place it is in Bayonetta. I'm absolutely terrible at it, but I feel no obligation to get a better handle on the awful motorcycle mechanics when the level itself is so unenjoyable. I got my two witch heart pieces and gladly accepted my bronze award after being forced to replay an entire verse when I clipped through a cracked highway section.

Thanks but no thanks, Kamiya. It wasn't worth marring a great action game for a nostalgic reference to gaming history.

Bayonetta, both games but especially 1, desperately needs a verse selector. I was really disappointed that Platinum went back to Bayo 1 and added costumes and effects but didn't touch the options menu. Because I really love the 3rd Jeanne fight, but I am just not going to repeatedly play through 20 minutes of space harrier (especially on higher levels) for her. I truly don't understand why this wasn't an added feature. If they don't want people cheesing their trophies, just make it so the chapter rankings are disabled unless you start from the beginning, but otherwise, just let me fight the fights I want to fight without having to put up with so much bullshit. And Jeanne's fight is especially frustrating for this, because how are you supposed to practice for her on higher difficulties when she's so frustratingly difficult to get to AND her fights are seperated by different verses?

Akiller

I actually want every boss fight to be Masked Lumen fights.

Now i am on Chapter VIII and i've probaly missed the second LP piece.

Finalow

best way to farm halos is chapter XIV with gaze of despair? When I tried I got less than 500k.

-
Bayonetta, both games but especially 1, desperately needs a verse selector.
yup.
the main reason why I never went for 100% on the first game, and probably won't for this one too.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You still need to complete them to get platinums on every chapter, I think.

Yeah you do, but I also think I unlocked verse cards for finishing each witch trial chapter.

Same...wait, they're on fixed difficulties?

The crazy part is...I actually beaten the
Alruna/Loptr
fight on my first try and after getting killed on the 7th verse, 95% of the time, I can't beat
Alruna/Loptr

Yep, first one is fixed to 2nd climax, mean while II, III, IV are fixed to 3rd climax and V is fixed to infinite climax. Also it is kind of hilarious, because while I don't usually struggle TOOO hard with the third verse (I consistently make it past
alruna and loptr
50% of the time :p) I really struggle to get past verse 6 and even when I do make it past him I NEVER have enough health or magic to get past verse 7 which is comparatively easy.

Witch Trial V man...I swear that is the real hard core business.

Astral Dog

What the fuck do they even remotely have in common? They're entirely different genres and tones and stories and gameplay trying to do entirely different things. Literally the only major thing they have in common is they're both videogames.

It's like asking whats better, Schindler's List or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, just because they're both motion pictures. Whats better, a jungle cat or a water bear, just because they're both animals. Whats better, glass or space dust? How the fuck do you even quantify that?

People need to stop thinking of quality as a singular thing. There is no one single route to making a 'good' anything. Even if you think LoU is the best story in the world, that doesn't mean it's the only way to make a good story. Bayonetta is trying to do different things than LoU for different reasons. That, in itself, does not make it better or worse, simply different the same way steak and apple pie are different, and trying to compare them just because they are both things you consume is silly.

Bayonetta, both games but especially 1, desperately needs a verse selector. I was really disappointed that Platinum went back to Bayo 1 and added costumes and effects but didn't touch the options menu. Because I really love the 3rd Jeanne fight, but I am just not going to repeatedly play through 20 minutes of space harrier (especially on higher levels) for her. I truly don't understand why this wasn't an added feature. If they don't want people cheesing their trophies, just make it so the chapter rankings are disabled unless you start from the beginning, but otherwise, just let me fight the fights I want to fight without having to put up with so much bullshit. And Jeanne's fight is especially frustrating for this, because how are you supposed to practice for her on higher difficulties when she's so frustratingly difficult to get to AND her fights are seperated by different verses?
Yeah, i have even seen Bayonetta 2 compared unfavorably to Destiny, calling it the "true" next gen experience, at the end of the day Bayonetta its trying to do things differently than most games, and should be compared only to games of the same genre, or similar, imo.
That said, the posters were just giving brief answers, im not sure who started it.

best way to farm halos is chapter XIV with gaze of despair? When I tried I got less than 500k.
Play as Jeanne and use the Bracelet of Time. I haven't tried it but everyone says you rack up a lot more than that.

I have more than 10 million halos and I've only played the game three or so times plus Tag Climax. You get halos really fast in this game.

Bayonetta 2 is fucking amazing. Are there any legit complaints people have about it that make them like Bayonetta 1 more than 2? 2 outdoes 1 in every single way.

The only legit complaint I can come up with is it is pretty easy on normal difficulty.

Overall though, it might be my third favorite action game ever after Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden II (360)

Finalow

ok, finshed.
I didn't like the whole story too much and to be honest the characters worked much better in the first game. Loki + Bayonetta was a pretty bad couple, most of the dialogues felt dumb. also Balder is much better as a villain, by far. Jeanne? Is she even in this game? Besides the opening/ending she has like 2 lines and that's it. she has more impact when she's
half-dead or whatever she was then when you actually rescue her.
as far as the story goes, I wasn't sure what
Loptr plan was - killing Rosa in order to get Balder on his side to reach/kill Loki? Uh.
and to be honest I didn't even care.

during the Inferno chapters I was expecting more
demons rebelling to your control, and more stuff about that
but it didn't really happen. you just fight one more of them after you have that (amazing) Gomorrah fight at the beginning of the game. very disappointing, to be honest. plus the boss fight with that random girly demon was shitty, only good thing was probably
Rodin being there.
Gomorrah was sadly the only high point of those demons fights.

the ending of Bayonetta 2 is nowhere close to being as good as the first one, actually I found it pretty bland. the final boss(es), the greatness of what you get in the first game just wasn't there anymore. they tried to do something similar I guess? With stuff like when
you control and lead Aesir to his death after you kill him.
but that wasn't even close to how you do it in first game.
also it felt like it was missing a whole level leading to the end, like the tower that the first game had. (which I enjoyed a lot except for that part where you kill the bosses all over again)

as far as the rest of boss fights go, I sort of missed the ones from the first game, mostly for their designs. there are good ones in this sequel too but also not-so-good ones, and if Lumen sage fight was epic the first time, it got boring pretty quickly the second or third time.

I also miss the old world map. I miss angel attack (I might be the only one here) and I didn't see any Bayonetta's dance during the ending. shaking my fucking head.
come the fuck on.

-

so in the end I felt like that the first game did some stuff better and I was a little disappointed. however there also are improvements (mostly the fact that you don't have rank-killing platforming sections and awful 1hit game over QTEs anymore) and I definitely liked the game, not a bad action game by any means, it's probably one of the best that you could get nowadays.

Trojan X

Banned
ok, finshed.
I didn't like the whole story too much and to be honest the characters worked much better in the first game. Loki + Bayonetta was a pretty bad couple, most of the dialogues felt dumb. also Balder is much better as a villain, by far.
Jeanne? Is she even in this game? Besides the opening/ending she has like 2 lines and that's it. she has more impact when she's
half-dead or whatever she was then when you actually rescue her.
as far as the story goes, I wasn't sure what
Loptr plan was - killing Rosa in order to get Balder on his side to reach/kill Loki? Uh.
and to be honest I didn't even care.

during the Inferno chapters I was expecting more
demons rebelling to your control, and more stuff about that
but it didn't really happen. you just fight one more of them after you have that (amazing) Gomorrah fight at the beginning of the game. very disappointing, to be honest. plus the boss fight with that random girly demon was shitty, only good thing was probably
Rodin being there.
Gomorah was sadly the only high point of those demons fight.

the ending of Bayonetta 2 is nowhere close to being as good as the first one, actually I found it pretty bland. the final boss(es), the greatness of what you get in the first game just wasn't there anymore. they tried to do something similar I guess? With stuff like when
you control and lead Aesir to his death after you kill him.
but that wasn't even close to how you do it in first game.
also it felt like it was missing a whole level leading to the end, like the tower that the first game had. (which I enjoyed a lot except for that part where you kill the bosses all over again)

as far as the rest of boss fights go, I sort of missed the ones from the first game, mostly for their designs. there are good ones in this sequel too but also not-so-good ones, and if Lumen sage fight was epic the first time, it got boring pretty quickly the second or third time.

I also miss the old world map. I miss angel attack (I might be the only one here) and I didn't see any Bayonetta's dance during the ending. shaking my fucking head.
come the fuck on.

-

so in the end I felt like that the first game did some stuff better and I was a little disappointed. however there also are improvements (mostly the fact that you don't have rank-killing platforming sections and awful 1hit game over QTEs anymore) and I definitely liked the game, not a bad action game by any means, it's probably one of the best that you could get nowadays.

Now you completed the game, will you play the game properly on the mode you suppose to play it on which is Non-Stop Climax mode?

Finalow

Now you completed the game, will you play the game properly on the mode you suppose to play it on which is Non-Stop Climax mode?
infinite climax? Yeah, maybe that's the only challenging mode.

do you have some juicy unlocks or bonuses if you complete that?

y you quoted my typos, thanks.

Play as Jeanne and use the Bracelet of Time. I haven't tried it but everyone says you rack up a lot more than that.

I have more than 10 million halos and I've only played the game three or so times plus Tag Climax. You get halos really fast in this game.
you get more halos with Bracelet of Time or what? I have it but it just gives you Witch Time.

Bayonetta 2 is just plain superior to the original because it cuts out the fun-killing bullshit. I've played through the full game three times now, and a lot of individual chapters close to ten times, and the only parts I'm close to tired of (like the opening battle in chapter 7) are very brief and surrounded by enjoyable verses. This is a game that reinforces its design goals in almost every chapter, rather than parceling out brilliant combat scenarios in the fragmentary manner of Bayonetta 1 and bogging down the player with tedious junk the rest of the time.

I will never run out of praise for Bayonetta 2's generous array of human-sized bosses. Apparently, Platinum noticed that the greatest boss battles throughout action game history were mostly rival fights, and they took the bold step of scaling down most of Bayonetta 2's bosses for the sake of better gameplay. An outstanding decision. The result is that the most intense sequences in the game demand the most from the player's technical abilities: ideal conditions for the combat system to shine.

I agree 100%. The vehicle sections and the big angel bosses in Bayo 1 are an absolute chore on another play through. I'm glad that those annoying, fun-killing parts were eliminated in the sequel.

Score wise...

Someone said they weren't getting into Bayonetta 2's story as much as they wanted to. I said to have fun with the gameplay and don't expect the Last of Us type story quality since Bayo2 has more fun with it's presentation. They countered with " ...But it got the Last of Us scores", but for those who played Bayo2, it's because of the main gameplay being so damn fun.

antitrop

Bayonetta 2 is fucking amazing. Are there any legit complaints people have about it that make them like Bayonetta 1 more than 2? 2 outdoes 1 in every single way.

The only legit complaint I can come up with is it is pretty easy on normal difficulty.

Overall though, it might be my third favorite action game ever after Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden II (360)

The only thing that I've seen that I mostly agree with the characterization of Bayonetta, herself.

She's more empowered in the first game, overall.

Other than that, I think Bayonetta 2 is better in every other way. Though it would be nice if there was a difficulty in between 3rd Climax and NSIC. Or just that 3rd Climax should have been a little bit more difficult, overall.

If you manage to get platinums all the time you should get around 5 mio halos every run. Use PPP.

Having trouble earning Halos in Tag. The computer is better than me. Any pointers other than get better?

Go buy the Earrings of Ruin. Aside from being perhaps the most useful accessory in the game, it'll also ensure that your score is always 2-3k higher than your partner's.

Having trouble earning Halos in Tag. The computer is better than me. Any pointers other than get better?

Either choose Rosa and keep picking her up within 5 seconds for 500 points, or give bayonetta the bow. My verse pattern is
  1. Three versions loptr
  2. Flying loptr
  3. Two monster Alraune
  4. Alraune and Jeanne
  5. Two loptrs
  6. I either play it safe and go with valor or go all out and finish with rodin(Don't recommend with rosa)

Edit: Forgot to mention the reason for the order, for the first two don't use any magic, build it up so Alraune monsters go quick, same for 4/5/6

Finalow

how does scoring points in Tag work? Damage inflicted = points?

it doesn't seem to penalize your for the damage that you get or for dying, which is a bit silly.

how does scoring points in Tag work? Damage inflicted = points?

it doesn't seem to penalize your for the damage that you get or for dying, which is a bit silly.

It's mainly for bragging rights versus your opponent (who ever does the most damage/style earns the most points), but I like Gaf's version where both parties are just happy to have survived 6 intense rounds of climax action

plus, it would be to frustrating if you lost all your halos if you didn't make it past round 6. Better use of your time would better be served going thru the chapters if the gamble was that high risk. You want to encourage co-op.

bobohoro

Finished it last night and while it might sound contradictionary but: Bayonetta 2 is the best game Platinum Games ever made while being nowhere near as memorable as most of the others. Which is still preferable in my book, even though overall I would rank it slightly below MGR, which wins because of ridiculous amounts of awesome cheese and magnificient soundtrack.

But really, Bayonetta 2 is great and the full package, gameplay and content are near flawless, soundtrack and visuals are stunning, there are next to none major annoyances and it's pure fun through and through. I mean, those masked lumen fights might be some of the best moments of gaming in history.

There are a few things that feel off to me however. I liked Bayonetta way more in part 1, she felt more powerful and confident in that game. Loki and Luka are also meh, thankfully Jeanne remains awesome, slightly annoyed that she got the backseat for most of the game. Balder is a pretty cool dude and Rodin needs his own game by now. That santa opening had me in tears. I also didn't like some of the floaty sections in boss fights, gave me the illusion of not being 100% in control. Weapons are also a bit of a miss at times, but they are certainly varied.

I can't see myself not voting this as my GOTY, it's just such a high quality gem, even it misses some of the emotional attachements that come with somewhat less polished games, the sort of love-hate-relationship that leaves far more powerful memories. But I can't seriously fault it for not giving me negative feelings at all either, that would be rather weird. I'm off to replaying the game many more times and can finally subscribe to this thread too.

Pilgrimzero

Been playing through Bayo 1 and I have a couple questions:

I can equip guns and a sword but they don't seem to do anything? Like one guns description is they are shotguns, but I still fire pistols.

Also, why does Bayo only ever shoot with 1 gun? Am I pressing the wrong button or something?

Thanks!

you get more halos with Bracelet of Time or what? I have it but it just gives you Witch Time.
You get more combo points in WT so yes, you get more halos. Use PPP and hold the third punch. It racks up combo points like crazy so when you're in WT you'll probably max out the combo meter if you're fighting off enraged enemies or the bosses in that chapter.
Been playing through Bayo 1 and I have a couple questions:

I can equip guns and a sword but they don't seem to do anything? Like one guns description is they are shotguns, but I still fire pistols.

Also, why does Bayo only ever shoot with 1 gun? Am I pressing the wrong button or something?

Thanks!
Hold down the button that the weapon is equipped to. So if you have the shotguns on your feet, hold kick, for the hands you hold punch. Every weapon lets you hold down the button for a follow-up of some kind so try it with everything you have! Also try out moves where you spin the stick and hit a button and other universal inputs like lock-on+forward+attack.

Y is just a generic fire button kinda like in DMC.

Neff

Like, for real?

Sure. I'd heed criticism of Kamiya's platforming, conditional twists and arcade homage if such things were fundamentally broken in some way, but they're not. I know we're in the era of the trophy/achievement and content tourism, and that today's gamer is less open to spontaneity and indulgence, and that they're generally colder towards games which decline to strongly define themselves via aesthetics, theme or genre, but the current backlash against the first game in light of its 'improved' sequel seems oddly revisionist and slightly kneejerk in nature.

Top Bottom