• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Jawmuncher

Finished the game, I mean the game decided it was over all of the sudden.

Gameplay was 10/10 but the story was weird, like the had 2 different ideas (Jeane goes to hell, Balder comes back from the past) and tried to make them both work together but they couldn't. In the end I feel like the whole Jeanne thing was a bad excuse to fight demons.

Balder was chasing Loki to avenge Rosa and he is mad at Bayo because she is protecting Loki (who knows why he targeted Bayonetta on their first encounter instead, plothole I guess). When they get to the place where Rosa dies Bayonetta points out that the guy who killed Rosa had a different mark on his forehead and thus it can't be Loki.

Ahhh ok. I remember her saying that, but it had all happened so fast I didn't even put it together.

mstevens

Question for you guys.

I get that this game is universally praised, but I'm hesitant to pick it up. I am downright awful at fighting games, and almost equally bad at action games like this. I would wager that I would have a hard time getting gold or even silver on a lot of levels. Is the game still worth playing if I'm sloshing through it awkwardly, or does a lot of the fun stem from mastering the combat and fluidly pulling off ungodly combos?

popyea

Question for you guys.

I get that this game is universally praised, but I'm hesitant to pick it up. I am downright awful at fighting games, and almost equally bad at action games like this. I would wager that I would have a hard time getting gold or even silver on a lot of levels. Is the game still worth playing if I'm sloshing through it awkwardly, or does a lot of the fun stem from mastering the combat and fluidly pulling off ungodly combos?

The fun part for me is learning. Even after years of playing combat focused games, I don't ever start playing a new one and instantly take to it. But that doesn't sour my enjoyment, because the fun part for me is thinking about the mechanics and trying to perform better. Becoming stylish and mastering the game is the end-goal, but getting there is the enjoyable part.

Just beat 3rd Climax with all at least Gold (only 2 Plat, 0 PP). Am not getting many Halos from the chapter XVI farming trick. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Anyway, I can see why people hunt Plat/PP. Even if I was taking a bunch of damage, as long as I was getting Platinum for Combo and Time I was getting Gold or Plat overall, depending on how much incoming damage I took. Even taking 11,000 on the final boss of 3rd Climax yielded me a Gold overall with ratings of Plat on Time and Combo.

After recently picking up Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (only played vanilla in the past) I really appreciate not only Witch Time but the dodge mechanic in general. Rolling sideways or doing a backflip in that game feel really anticlimactic. I assume that using a style other than Swordmaster gives you more evasive options, but even so.

Couldn't help but smile at Mario's hat and moustache when Chain Chomp is equipped. :D

Astral Dog

Gameplay was 10/10 but the story was weird, like the had 2 different ideas (Jeane goes to hell, Balder comes back from the past) and tried to make them both work together but they couldn't. In the end I feel like the whole Jeanne thing was a bad excuse to fight demons.

Balder was chasing Loki to avenge Rosa and he is mad at Bayo because she is protecting Loki (who knows why he targeted Bayonetta on their first encounter instead, plothole I guess). When they get to the place where Rosa dies Bayonetta points out that the guy who killed Rosa had a different mark on his forehead and thus it can't be Loki.

Targeted Bayonetta? he was going to kill Loki when she interfered,

Monocle

Question for you guys.

Yeah, there's a lot of entertainment to be had even if you don't delve into the great combat system. It's possible to make the game as easy or hard as you want depending on your settings, the accessories and items you use, and how many health and magic powerups you collect.

You can:

- Change the difficulty at any time, even before you've beaten the game.

- Equip an optional accessory that executes combos for you with a few taps of the attack buttons (it appears in your inventory whenever you play a level on the easiest difficulty).

- Use as many items as you want (to heal, replenish magic, be invincible, deal more damage, or earn more money) with no penalty to your rank.

- Practice combos in the practice mode you can access from the menu on the level select screen, or at any point when the game is loading (press the - button to stay in the loading screen practice room for as long as you want). There's even a combo list for every weapon combination.

- Equip accessories that pop enemies into slow motion when you take damage, reward you with extra money and a health item every time you execute a torture attack, heal you when you taunt, and more.

- Toggle off special moves that you accidentally use when you don't mean to.

Bayonetta 2 is about as beginner friendly as you could hope for, despite its insane depth. All the things that made the original game frustrating were removed or improved.

BTW, verse and chapter ratings shouldn't really be your focus the first time you play the game, but if you're still hoping for some decent awards, remember you're rated on completion time, damage taken, and combo points. If you can get good at two out of three of those, you'll be able to earn gold or even platinum statues no problem.

Anteo

Targeted Bayonetta? he was going to kill Loki when she interfered,

He specifically asked where she was the first time they met, and Loki said he didnt know and even if he knew he would not tell him, he even jokes about it being a domestic dispute between the sage and bayonetta. Later, at the gates of hell he acts surpised when he realized the sage was targeting him

Llyranor

Question for you guys.

Don't worry about the rankings. The Stone Award GAF club is probably full of members :p Doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the game.

There are also easier difficulty levels, so don't worry about being bad. The best thing about the character action genre is that you notice yourself getting better as you invest more time into it. It's immensely rewarding.

Bayonetta 1/2 is both accessible, while also being at the top tier of the genre. As good a starting point as any!

IKizzLE

Man, all the Hell Chapters on Infinite Climax can go suck a ****
I swear, Sloth is by far the worst new enemy spawn in all the verses.

He specifically asked where she was the first time they met, and Loki said he didnt know and even if he knew he would not tell him, he even jokes about it being a domestic dispute between the sage and bayonetta. Later, at the gates of hell he acts surpised when he realized the sage was targeting him

Lopth specifically showed the Lumen Sage, Loki and Bayonetta before the whole thing got started (through the looking glass/ projection.

Lumen asking where Bayonetta was was more where is your babysitter.

Espada

How do you use the weapon you get for beating 3rd Climax? It feels so damn awkward to use, and it's slow to boot. Maybe I'm just too used to Salamandra+Alruna.

As an aside, I really like how the Evil Rosary, Mahaa-Khahla, and Bracelet of Time change how the game feels.

Astral Dog

Its made a little vague at first so we are "surprised" when we learn he was after Loki, but the Lumen was shown Loki and Bayonetta together, first Loki mentions her,and the Lumen asks were she is, then he is relieved when Loki says he doesnt know and tries to kill him, but he never was targeting Bayonetta.

IKizzLE

Does anyone know what a maxed Magic Guage looks like?
I'm not sure whether I found all the orbs yet.

I have 24 orbs/3 Large orbs when full.

mstevens

Bayonetta 2 is about as beginner friendly as you could hope for, despite its insane depth. All the things that made the original game frustrating were removed or improved.

Would you recommend not starting with the first, then? I haven't played that either.

Corgi

Banned
nah start with 1 definitely.

people in that OT will help ya.

just be prepared to die alot. but when you win you feel the sense of satisfaction that few modern video games can replicate.

Monocle

Would you recommend not starting with the first, then? I haven't played that either.
It's a good idea to play the original first. Bayonetta 1 is great game in its own right, and you'll enjoy the sequel more when you're familiar with the plot and gameplay of the original.

Just make sure to play the game on the easiest difficulty, and don't worry about your rating at all. I have a lot of experience with fighting and action games, and I got stone statues left and right on my first playthrough. In Normal mode it's a constant struggle to keep your health up, and the game likes to throw instant deaths at you that are pretty much impossible to avoid when you don't know they're coming.

But yeah, still an awesome game, just not as accessible as the second one.

popyea

It's a good idea to play the original first. Bayonetta 1 is great game in its own right, and you'll enjoy the sequel more when you're familiar with the plot and gameplay of the original.

Just make sure to play the game on the easiest difficulty, and don't worry about your rating at all. I have a lot of experience with fighting and action games, and I got stone statues left and right on my first playthrough. In Normal mode it's a constant struggle to keep your health up, and the game likes to throw instant deaths at you that are pretty much impossible to avoid when you don't know they're coming.

Keep in mind that these "instant deaths" don't impede your progress, since if I'm remembering correctly, they immediately put you back to the same spot to try again. I can't remember if this is for every instance though since I haven't tested it.

Astral Dog

You know, it could work to start with 2 and then going with 1 too, wich is more challenging, and
for the story

ozfunghi

The worst thing about this game is the aweful voice acting of that kid. Ugh. It's like he isn't brittish but is trying to force himself to speak with a brittish accent or something. Other than that, the game is ace.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Witch Trials 3...

It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the two Pain at the same time :/

Are there more Witch Trials after 3?

Finalow

I'm glad they put the gallery as the did in the first game. more games should totally do this. it's really beautiful, you appreciate the art and designs much more with this.

I love the new angles designs, I feel like they did a much better job with the enemies in this sequel. I'll post some screens later on if I manage to.

I would wager that I would have a hard time getting gold or even silver on a lot of levels. Is the game still worth playing if I'm sloshing through it awkwardly, or does a lot of the fun stem from mastering the combat and fluidly pulling off ungodly combos?

I started Bayonetta 2 on the hardest available difficulty, got mostly stone and bronze statues, and had a blast all the way through. I never felt stuck or frustrated, and I couldn't care less about juggling enemies with superfluous combos.

The rating systems in modern action games always crack me up. They're all so easy that your grade has nothing to do with surviving the game's challenges. It's always down to how long you can keep a combo going, how little damage you take, how fast you complete it and stuff like that-- stuff that basically has no impact on your success in the long run and is mostly based on your own style of play.

So enjoy the game, and just pretend the rating system isn't there. You do get more halos (money to buy moves/abilities/upgrades) if you play the game by their rules, but ironically the most expensive things make the least difference in your journey to reach the end.

The Lamp

He didn't target her on their first encounter for no reason. Loki basically set it up to where Bayonetta was going to protect him from Balder, and Bayonetta said "who picks on little children?" implying she was going to protect Loki

Get_crazy

Banned
The worst thing about this game is the aweful voice acting of that kid. Ugh. It's like he isn't brittish but is trying to force himself to speak with a brittish accent or something. Other than that, the game is ace.

That's why I chose the japanese VO.

Other than that, the aliasing is terrible.

NEO0MJ

Just beat the game. It was really awesome, and I think better than the original in every way. One thing I liked more is that
the game had more humanoid/smaller sized bosses. The giant bosses are awesome but some variety is good.
Was I the only one who had problems with the final boss? I took so much damage.

I love the new angles designs, I feel like they did a much better job with the enemies in this sequel. I'll post some screens later on if I manage to.

Yeah, the new angels are awesome looking. Funny how long it took them to give us such an archetypal angel design with Valor. Sure he's missing a head but overall I like how normal he looked in comparison to most angels, especially the bosses.

Finalow

any tips for playing as Rosa? Best combo?

also anyone up for Tag Climax in 30 minutes or so?

Are any of the concept images for the backgrounds online anywhere in high quality?
this^, I'd love to have some of those as wallpapers. if someone has a link, please share.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Getting close to a month since release and I've been playing this game since day 1 and don't see myself stopping anytime soon. Such a great entry into the franchise.

Do we know much about the sales in the west? I just know it not being in the 10 NPD for the release week...

Im clearing out demos across all 3 systems today.
Bayonetta 2 just blew me away. I am at the eshop window ready to buy it but i need some quick answers.

How much is Bayonetta 1..it says I can get it for a discount.
This game is17 gigs! I have about 19 free...what are the storage solutions for the Wii U?

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Bayonetta 2 just blew me away. I am at the eshop window ready to buy it but i need some quick answers.

This game is17 gigs! I have about 19 free...what are the storage solutions for the Wii U?

Can't help you about the size (I got both physical) but you can just plug in an external drive via USB to extend space. And I think the same works for SD cards.

Gambit

Just beat Witch Trial IV! It took me forever and finally I found a really cheesy solution. I am using the acessory to regain energy from taunting and completely filled up my energy in one verse shortly before the very last verse.

Still, I am proud. Now on to V!

Im reading about it now..says it has to be a powered USB HDD. Pain in the ass. Anyone use a usb powered external drive without issue? I have a bunch of those

Malreyn

Question for you guys.

Bayonetta 1's normal is pretty tough for me but Bayonetta 2's middle difficulty (2nd climax) is much easier than 1's normal difficulty....Play on easy and if you feel good about the combat you can change the difficulty in the chapter selection's menu option.

Just beat Witch Trial IV! It took me forever and finally I found a really cheesy solution. I am using the acessory to regain energy from taunting and completely filled up my energy in one verse shortly before the very last verse.

Still, I am proud. Now on o V!

Time to taste true despair.

Adaren

$60 for both. It's an amazing deal.

I believe the WiiU supports most external SSDs without much hassle, but I don't know the details.

Top Bottom